Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

After 15 years, I"m done buying Trek bikes...

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-10, 01:44 PM
cycle17
Warrior Cyclist

Bikes: 2021 TCR Advanced 2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts

My next bike will be some other brand of bike... due to poor customer service on Treks part.

My history as a Trek customer is the in the last 15 years I've bought 10 Trek bikes. 3 mountain bikes new, and 5 new road bikes (1 aluminum and 4 carbon). Also a couple used OCLVS. One of my new bikes is a Project One Madone with yellow and gray custom paint scheme ridden 4,300 miles.

About six weeks ago I noticed a crack around the down tube where the bike is painted yellow on this bike. Two weeks ago I'm cleaning the bike and find the crack has grown from 1/4 inch to about 1 1/2 inches. I take the bike to my LBS and ask them to look at it. They comment on how well kept my bike is and agree to have the Trek rep look at the bike when he stops in that week. A couple days later the shop calls and says I can come get the bike. I go to pick it up and ask what the results are. The shop says the Trek rep looked at the bike and said it's a paint issue, not structural and nothing further would be done since Trek only warranties paint for one year and my bike is over two years old.

While I knew that Trek warranties there frames for life I honestly didn't know that paint was only covered for one year even on a custom painted frame. (Probably because none of my other OCLVs have cracks in the paint! One is white, two have half silver paint btw...I never had an issue until now.)

The rep said that paint cracking around the joints is very common on all their carbon frames and is present to some degree in almost all their carbon bikes, it's just more visible on the lighter colors like white yellow and silver. This is directly from the Trek rep. At this point I ask the shop if they were the customer, would they be happy with a high end Project One bike with a paint scheme they paid extra for having a crack in the paint? Both owners said, 'Probably not, were can certainly see your point." They recommended I contact John Burke the president of Trek directly, since his email and a note saying "If your not completely satisfied, contact me directly." is on the owners manual of every new bike. They believe this is one of those situations where customer satisfaction should likely override the standard warranty terms.

So I send a very nice, polite email to Mr Burke and explain my situation, I list all the bikes I've purchased and that I currently own 5 carbon road bikes and a new Trek commuter. I state the local bike shop's response and ask if there is any recourse for my bike's paint issue. I added that had i known that my bike would likely develop cracks in the paint, I would have: A. Bought a darker color B. Not paid extra for a P1 paint job and C. Might not have bought another Trek, since this problem has not occurred on my other OCLVs with many more miles on them than this bike.

A couple days later I get an email from a customer support representive saying that it's very common for many of the carbon framed Treks to develop paint cracks at some or all of the joints, that it's just visible on the lighter colors and that structurally my bike should be just fine. He states that lighter brighter colors often show these cracks more visibly, which of course is a no brainer. He goes on to say that even if they repainted the frame the cracks would likely come back. Since Trek only warranties paint and finish for 1 year they consider the matter closed.

Now before anyone re-states the Trek warranty policy on paint to me, let me say... I understand they are under no legal obligation to offer me anything, because my bike is more than a year old, but from a service standpoint and as a long-time customer with many high end bikes purchased from them, I honestly thought they might offer some option, and other than the LBS Trek did not at any time say were sorry you're unhappy with your bike/paintjob. They didn't offer to repaint the bike a darker color if I shipped it back, they just said basically "Case Closed".

So I replied that since I bought the wrong color bike, I'm stuck with cracked paint. Next time I buy a bike in the near future I'll make sure I buy a different brand.

Bottom Line for me; This is just poor customer service on Treks part. My LBS...still great people and they were disappointed in Trek's response to the situation. They even stated that they could see were goodwill towards the customer should probably trump the warranty in a case like this, but Trek themselves are refusing to do anything, so the LBS is mostly powerless to do anything more.

If you are thinking about buying a carbon Trek or a Project One bike... you might take what you just read above into consideration before you buy.

Me...I've bought my last Trek. I think I see a Tarmac in my future.
Old 07-30-10, 01:51 PM
cshell
In the dark

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Old 07-30-10, 01:56 PM
cycle17
Warrior Cyclist

Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Exactly...
Old 07-30-10, 02:01 PM
RiderC

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yep, new brand next time. Finger nail polish for now. Finger nail polish comes in about a million colors. You should be able to find a close match.
Old 07-30-10, 02:01 PM
Quel

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
All that and no pics of the crack? For shame.
Old 07-30-10, 02:10 PM
Hunt-man
Tete de Couch

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Quel
All that and no pics of the crack? For shame.
+1 We need pics to determine if this is bad or if you are nitpicking.
Old 07-30-10, 02:11 PM
cycle17
Warrior Cyclist

Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
I'm nitpicking...how's that. It's a crack that is getting bigger on a custom painted bike. :-)
Old 07-30-10, 02:12 PM
jrobe

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 23 Posts
10 Treks in 15 years. Wow. They got a live one when you walked through the door . The LBS should have repainted it themselves just to keep the cash register rolling.
Old 07-30-10, 02:12 PM
mayukawa

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
It seems if they're aware of such a problem, shouldn't they use different paint or perhaps strengthen the joints to minimize flex so it doesn't crack in the first place?
Old 07-30-10, 02:13 PM
Atol

Bikes: CAAD9-6

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Way to stand behind your product, Trek.
Old 07-30-10, 02:17 PM
RoboCheme

Bikes: 2008 Cervelo RS, 2011 Scott CR1 Elite, 2014 Volagi Liscio

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
They should have offered to repaint it. I was curious why you bought four carbon road bikes. Were they all for you?
Old 07-30-10, 02:19 PM
Nachoman
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 339 Times in 208 Posts
It's amazing to me that they didn't even offer you a free mini bottle of touch up paint.

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Old 07-30-10, 02:21 PM
BengeBoy 

Bikes: 2009 Chris Boedeker custom; 2007 Bill Davidson custom; 2021 Bill Davidson custom gravel bike; 2022 Specialized Turbo Vado e-bike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by cycle17
The rep said that paint cracking around the joints is very common on all their carbon frames and is present to some degree in almost all their carbon bikes, it's just more visible on the lighter colors like white yellow and silver. This is directly from the Trek rep.
Would love to see them update their website with this information: "Choose any color you want; please be advise some colors colors are subject to cracking."

One of the really disappointing things about your experience is this: how do I, as a customer, tell the difference between a paint crack and crack in the frame that might be structural? I guess I'm supposed to wait for the paint to crack, and then take it in for inspection by the dealer? What if the crack gets worse -- do you keep getting inspections to put your mind at ease that it's still "just paint"?
Old 07-30-10, 02:22 PM
cycle17
Warrior Cyclist

Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by RoboCheme
They should have offered to repaint it. I was curious why you bought four carbon road bikes. Were they all for you?
I'm a bike addict. I like cycling and previously I had a lot more disposable income, nowadays...not so much!
Old 07-30-10, 02:24 PM
tagaproject6

Bikes: Wilier Izoard XP (Record);Cinelli Xperience (Force);Specialized Allez (Rival);Bianchi Via Nirone 7 (Centaur); Colnago AC-R Disc;Colnago V1r Limited Edition;De Rosa King 3 Limited(Force 22);DeRosa Merak(Red):Pinarello Dogma 65.1 Hydro(Di2)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 278 Times in 146 Posts
That type of brand loyalty should be worth something. Have you been buying from the same LBS all these years?
Old 07-30-10, 02:25 PM
Phil85207
Century bound

Bikes: Felt AR4 and Cannondale hybrid

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I have to agree. There are paints out there that flex a great deal. Most car bumpers are now plastic and very flexible. I don't see them cracking. There is no excuse for them to not address this problem in a satisfactory way.
Old 07-30-10, 02:25 PM
Phantoj
Certifiable Bike "Expert"

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's very common for the carbon Treks to develop cracks in the paint at some of the lug locations. I wouldn't worry about it; it's only cosmetic, not structural. Apparently, this is more of a problem on the lighter-colored frames.

Old 07-30-10, 02:26 PM
Hunt-man
Tete de Couch

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm nitpicking...how's that. It's a crack that is getting bigger on a custom painted bike. :-)
It really is disappointing that they did not offer to at least touch it up but then maybe it would crack again.... Nice that the president (Ha ha) of Trek got back in touch with you personally! (Oh thats right, he must have been at the TDF hanging with Lance and drinking champagne)
Old 07-30-10, 02:28 PM
Emptei
Specialized!

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac SL3/Sram Red

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ouch, what a way to end such a profitable relationship. Those morons.
Old 07-30-10, 02:30 PM
cycle17
Warrior Cyclist

Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by tagaproject6
That type of brand loyalty should be worth something. Have you been buying from the same LBS all these years?
This is my second shop, I moved from the east coast to west coast. I do deal with my local shop for most things and they agree with my position on this. My old shop would have been extremely P.O.d since I was a customer there for many years. The mountain bikes were 2 of my own and 1 for my ex. The road bikes....I just liked them so I started 'Collecting" them shall we say. You can never have enough bikes!
Old 07-30-10, 02:32 PM
bdcheung
Carpe Diem

Bikes: 2007 CAAD9; 2014 CAADX; PedalForce CG1

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Over the past few months I've heard more bad experiences with Trek- and Trek-owned bikes (Gary Fisher) than I can keep track of.

Steerer tubes snapping--Trek says "user error".
Manufacturing errors--Trek says "user error".

Trek seems to genuinely not care about their consumers any more.
Old 07-30-10, 02:38 PM
Mr. Beanz
Banned.

Bikes: Lemond Chambery/Cannondale R-900/Trek 8000 MTB/Burley Duet tandem

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Now before anyone re-states the Trek warranty policy on paint to me, let me say... I understand they are under no legal obligation to offer me anything, because my bike is more than a year old, but from a service standpoint and as a long-time customer with many high end bikes purchased from them, I honestly thought they might offer some option, and other than the LBS Trek did not at any time say were sorry you're unhappy with your bike/paintjob. They didn't offer to repaint the bike a darker color if I shipped it back, they just said basically "Case Closed".

When purchasing ANY new item or product, there is a reason I read and purchase according to their warranty. I'd never buy a bike that had a $1000 frame replacement fee. I had a frame break on a Trek and it was replaced free, no charge according to the warrranty as expected no hassles. I bought the bike knowing it had a lifetime warranty on the frame. Knowing it has a one year on the paint, why should I expect something more than anyone else that spends their money?

I have 4 Trek bikes. Maybe I'll call Trek and ask for a steak dinner for two at my favorite restaraunt!
Old 07-30-10, 02:47 PM
Blackdays
Boom.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr. Beanz
When purchasing ANY new item or product, there is a reason I read and purchase according to their warranty. I'd never buy a bike that had a $1000 frame replacement fee. I had a frame break on a Trek and it was replaced free, no charge according to the warrranty as expected no hassles. I bought the bike knowing it had a lifetime warranty on the frame. Knowing it has a one year on the paint, why should I expect something more than anyone else that spends their money?

I have 4 Trek bikes. Maybe I'll call Trek and ask for a steak dinner for two at my favorite restaraunt!
What? Beans, you're usually a pretty smart guy, but I smell a brain fart here.

He PAID extra for a custom painted project one Trek. He PAID for that paint! And Trek turns around and tells him (after his purchase) that: "Oh yeah, the paint cracks on this bike and we're not going to take any responsibility for it!"

That is horrendous customer service. I could see your argument if it was just an off the shelf 6.9, but on a Project one bike? Nope.

Trek has really been going downhill lately. None of this would be half as bad if they would just man up, and take responsibility for their mistakes.
Old 07-30-10, 02:48 PM
igomez70

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mayukawa
It seems if they're aware of such a problem, shouldn't they use different paint or perhaps strengthen the joints to minimize flex so it doesn't crack in the first place?
They should, I have a project one (white by the way) and it's not a quality paint, it comes right of at contact points like cages bolt holes and dropouts when you tight the skewers.
Old 07-30-10, 02:51 PM
SpongeDad
Overacting because I can

Bikes: Merlin Agilis, Trek 1500

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Do all CF bikes actually have this issue? I remember Giant touting their clear coat a few years ago.

Either way, man that bites.

"I am a courageous cyclist." (SpongeDad)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.