Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Insuring bikes at home

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Insuring bikes at home

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-10, 12:57 PM
neilfein

Bikes: "Hildy", a Novara Randonee touring bike; a 16-speed Bike Friday Tikit; and a Specialized Stumpjumper frame-based built-up MTB, now serving as the kid-carrier, grocery-getter.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Insuring bikes at home

My renter's insurance claims to cover my bikes (we own five), but they also tell me that, in the event they were stolen, they'd essentially determine eligibility for replacement at that time. They also would require me to produce documentation of all upgrades that add value to the bike. (Mostly touring racks, in my case.) This all sounds to me like code for "weasel out of paying".

Can anyone recommend a good insurance company that covers bikes?

My bands:
Old 09-27-10, 03:41 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Liked 601 Times in 332 Posts
Try your version of the Canadian Automobile Association. I insured mine with CAA and liked their coverage.
Old 09-27-10, 03:48 PM
spinnaker
Every day a winding road

Bikes: 2005 Cannondale SR500, 2008 Trek 7.3 FX, Jamis Aurora

Liked 63 Times in 46 Posts
In the U.S. I think you will find that the insurance id too expensive to make it worth it. If you bike is worht less than a few thousand dollars then it is probably going to be worth the risk to just leave them uninsured.
Old 09-27-10, 05:19 PM
DieselDan

Location: Beaufort, South Carolina, USA and surrounding islands.

Bikes: Cannondale R500, Motobecane Messenger

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Forget it, at least in South Carolina. No one insures a bicycle. I've tried. As for AAA, they'll just laugh at you. AAA wants bicycles off the roads and only on the trails and pathways.
Old 09-27-10, 05:20 PM
tsl
Plays in traffic

Bikes: 1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax, 2016 Giant Talon 4

Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by neilfein
My renter's insurance <snip> Can anyone recommend a good insurance company that covers bikes?
Amica Mutual. On my tenant's insurance policy, all my bikes are covered for full replacement value--with no need for extra riders or schedules. Yes, like everything else, I need to maintain documentation that it's a Litespeed (or a Trek) not a Huffy or Wal-Mart POS, but that makes sense.

Plus, my annual premium went DOWN by 40% from my previous insurer, State Farm, who wouldn't insure my bikes at all. And, Amica is always the highest rated in consumer satisfaction by Consumer Reports.

So it's all good.
Old 09-27-10, 06:28 PM
Nightshade
Humvee of bikes =Worksman

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
My renter's insurance claims to cover my bikes (we own five), but they also tell me that, in the event they were stolen, they'd essentially determine eligibility for replacement at that time. They also would require me to produce documentation of all upgrades that add value to the bike. (Mostly touring racks, in my case.) This all sounds to me like code for "weasel out of paying".

Can anyone recommend a good insurance company that covers bikes?
This is easy and fairly inexpensive if done right. All a person as to do is add each bike ,by serial # and an itemized list of what's on the bike, to their home (or renters) insurance as "named items" for which you will pay extra for the coverage that is 100% of the value of the item. Ask your insurance agent to set you up. This is how I protect my considerable investment in my bikes.

Originally Posted by krazygluon
Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred, which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?
Old 09-27-10, 09:29 PM
neilfein

Bikes: "Hildy", a Novara Randonee touring bike; a 16-speed Bike Friday Tikit; and a Specialized Stumpjumper frame-based built-up MTB, now serving as the kid-carrier, grocery-getter.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Nightshade
This is easy and fairly inexpensive if done right. All a person as to do is add each bike ,by serial # and an itemized list of what's on the bike, to their home (or renters) insurance as "named items" for which you will pay extra for the coverage that is 100% of the value of the item.
I had assumed as much, but my insurance company -- Travelers -- won't do it. Or so said the agent I spoke to today.

My bands:
Old 09-28-10, 03:06 AM
009jim

Bikes: Giant CRX3, Trek 7100

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I've been looking for 3rd party liability insurance when I'm cycling, e.g. in case I hurt someone. I was advised to check my home insurance. I did so, and they told me I was covered as long as I was not riding my bike at the time. They went on to tell me that if I had an accident I would probably fall off before I hit anyone and so that would cover the liability. I didn't believe it. Still looking.
Old 09-28-10, 03:39 AM
wahoonc
Membership Not Required

Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG

Liked 16 Times in 15 Posts
I had assumed as much, but my insurance company -- Travelers -- won't do it. Or so said the agent I spoke to today.
Nor will several others I have had over the years, State Farm was one major offender. FWIW I wonder if it has anything to do with the state you reside in?

Aaron

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

"Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

"Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred
Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
_krazygluon
Old 09-28-10, 08:24 AM
drmweaver2

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Having been in a few houses where items were stolen/lost over the years, documenting losses for homeowner's policy claims is fairly straight-forward if you take your time and are meticulous and persistent in your claims-related actions.

1. Get camera.
2. Take picture of item(s). Make sure date of picture is shown on the negative/print/digital picture.
3. Research current price for that specific date IF you don't have the purchase receipt.
4. Stick pictures in box somewhere safe - safety deposit box, someone else's house, hole in back yard.
5. Compile list of items that you specifically want documented on policy itself - expect these to cost you extra "because they can stick it to you", not because it costs them anything more to insure you.
6. Wait.
7. Things may be stolen.
8. Dig up box from hole/retrieve from other safe place.
9a. Take it to the insurance company claims agent/file claim. Be sure to have researched replacement costs/current prices for the EXACT item you are claiming. (If you did not insure for replacement cost, expect depreciation to eat up most of your "value" unless it's been "appraised".) Expect grief.
9b.Say, "But these pictures prove YOU ARE FINANCIALLY RESPONSIBLE & I am covered". Expect more grief.
9c. Repeat step 9a & 9b 3 times.
10. If you have gotten the agent to honor your claim after 30 days, (45 in some states), escalate the claim past the dweeb you are dealing with. Repeat 10 as necessary.
11. If you still haven't gotten resolution after 6 months, contact the State Insurance Commissioner's office, the BBB. Things generally don't have to be taken this far.

I've only had 2 claims denied in 30 years. (Hurricane Katrina losses were a real bit** as loss and damages were claimed to be "acts of God"-related & not covered.)

A few specific internet links of interest include:
https://bicycleinsuranceblog.com/bicycle-insurance-usa
https://ohiobikelawyer.com/
https://www.examiner.com/insurance-in...ycle-insurance
https://velonews.competitor.com/2008/...our-bike_71286
https://bikeportland.org/2010/01/05/p...hat-isnt-27792
https://www.usacycling.org/news/user/story.php?id=2589

Last edited by drmweaver2; 09-28-10 at 08:33 AM.