Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Why doesn't this mint 1971 Schwinn Super Sport fall in line? Chrome/105/Campy...

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Why doesn't this mint 1971 Schwinn Super Sport fall in line? Chrome/105/Campy...

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-10, 05:32 PM
dynne

Bikes: 1981 Trek 613, Bianchi Ibex, Bianchi Fixed, Schwinn Tempo, nothing that would get stolen (sigh).

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I recently got lucky on craigslist and scored an old Schwinn. I was way luckier than anticipated, and got a 1972 Schwinn Super Sport. I'm happy because it must have been a special model or was upgraded dramatically. No heinous paint job, no ashtabala, looks nothing like the catalog photos. Info and pics follow.

Schwinn Super Sport serial # FG001813

-All chrome frame with a bit of gold lugging on the fork. 4130 top and down tubes.
-Shimano 105 rear derailleur
-Shimano 600 Arabesque front derailleur and crankset (odd multicolored spider)
-Campy seat post with racing saddle
-Beautiful seat tube decals
-Very large BB I've never seen before, can't ID
-Bogus no name risers with crummy grips and shimano friction thumb shifters
-Deep horizontal drop-outs with neat wheel stops
-27" mavic rims laced to shimano sealed hubs

It's gorgeous, and I can't find it in any catalogs or mentioned elsewhere or in any image searches. Does anyone know anything about it? As always, I am grateful for any input you can share.

https://www.angelfire.com/rant/allday...innCodes4.html <-- how I dated the frame

These are some lo-fi camera phone pictures. I can take better ones tomorrow if someone needs better details.

Old 11-01-10, 05:52 PM
Grand Bois

Liked 28 Times in 26 Posts
It originally had a one piece Ashtabula crank. Someone has added an adapter to convert it to a three piece crank.
Old 11-01-10, 06:25 PM
pastorbobnlnh 
Freewheel Medic

Bikes: Snazzy* Schwinns, Classy Cannondales & a Super Pro Aero Lotus (* Ed.)

Liked 2,260 Times in 996 Posts
This is a very unusual Super Sport. I've never seen this sort of seat post clamp. I'm guessing it was added and then the frame was costumed chromed. I've never seen that seat tube decal and the badge was custom painted.

Thanks for visiting my website: www.freewheelspa.com

Old 11-01-10, 06:41 PM
mkeller234
Rustbelt Rider

Bikes: 1990 Trek 1420 - 1978 Raleigh Professional - 1973 Schwinn Collegiate - 1974 Schwinn Suburban

Liked 372 Times in 177 Posts
Yeah, it seems that everything on this bike has been highly modified. The 4130 sticker looks like the one's used on Schwinn frames during the 80's. I could be full of it as I am just grasping at straws. If it turns out to be one man's creation, it's still a winner.
"(@)'(@)"""''"**|(@)(@)*****''(@)
Old 11-01-10, 06:58 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Liked 2,631 Times in 1,530 Posts
I like it. What does it weigh?

Tom

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 11-01-10, 07:19 PM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Liked 3,098 Times in 1,580 Posts
interesting bike but, I beleive the reason it seems like a "Special Model" is because almost nothing is original. this bike has been drastically rebuilt. I doubt alot of these parts were even around the day it rolled of the assembly line. that Campagnolo seatpillar is mid '80ish, the105 derailleur s late '80s. I would also guess i did not come from the shop with the mountain/hybrid bars.

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk

Last edited by Bianchigirll; 11-02-10 at 07:39 AM. Reason: OY I hate this new keyboard!! (spelling grammar)
Old 11-01-10, 07:25 PM
sailorbenjamin

Bikes: one of each

Liked 12 Times in 12 Posts
I'm gonna say it's a total custom, but it's a real eye popper. the fillets look great in chrome. The decal is way cool, too.
Old 11-01-10, 07:30 PM
sailorbenjamin

Bikes: one of each

Liked 12 Times in 12 Posts
In '71 they changed from the forged Huret rear dropout to a stamped steel dropout. Is there a serial number left anywhere?
Old 11-01-10, 07:48 PM
dynne

Bikes: 1981 Trek 613, Bianchi Ibex, Bianchi Fixed, Schwinn Tempo, nothing that would get stolen (sigh).

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sailorbenjamin
in '71 they changed from the forged huret rear dropout to a stamped steel dropout. Is there a serial number left anywhere?
fg001813
Old 11-01-10, 07:50 PM
dynne

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I really want to thank everyone for their contributions so far.

I'm really into this bike, but it's 52/53cm and that's a bit too small.

How did the prior owner chrome the frame like this? Also, do you guys think the cranks were hand-painted?
Old 11-01-10, 08:08 PM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista Vitus 979 Duralinox

Liked 6,926 Times in 3,953 Posts
Originally Posted by dynne
Also, do you guys think the cranks were hand-painted?

Without a doubt.

Old 11-01-10, 08:11 PM
stien
neits

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I really want to thank everyone for their contributions so far.

I'm really into this bike, but it's 52/53cm and that's a bit too small.

How did the prior owner chrome the frame like this? Also, do you guys think the cranks were hand-painted?
Too small you say? How much you want for it?
Old 11-02-10, 04:17 AM
cs1

Bikes: Specialized, Schwinn

Liked 27 Times in 25 Posts
Somebody sunk a TON of money into that bike. I like it. Great find.
Old 11-02-10, 04:44 AM
pastorbobnlnh 
Freewheel Medic

Bikes: Snazzy* Schwinns, Classy Cannondales & a Super Pro Aero Lotus (* Ed.)

Liked 2,260 Times in 996 Posts
fg001813
The FG= July 1971, which is also the first year for the Sports Tourer, but the BB shell says you have a SS. No Super Sports came from Chicago looking like this one. Have you talked to the previous owner about how he/she acquired it?

Here's another modification that's interesting that I didn't notice before. Someone removed the kickstand mount which doubled as a chainstay bridge, and replaced it with a traditional chainstay bridge.

Most of us who have modified a SS and have removed the steel kickstand, just live with the big tube jutting out at an angle behind the BB shell. The kickstand mount shouldn't be removed unless a new bridge is installed. Very well done.

Thanks for visiting my website: www.freewheelspa.com

Last edited by pastorbobnlnh; 11-02-10 at 04:47 AM.
Old 11-02-10, 04:58 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Right. There appears to be nothing original on it at all. I see that as an improvement. Someone really loved this bike. As cs1 said, he/she sunk a ton of money into it. What kind of shifters are those? If you change to drop bars, I'd love to buy those shifters and bars.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Old 11-02-10, 05:36 AM
skinny matt
more coffee please

Bikes: a couple schwinns

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Neatest bike I've seen in awhile. Nice catch!
Old 11-02-10, 05:48 AM
dynne

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have no idea what I would want for it. I suppose trade is as good as cash. What is something like a customized mid-range vintage lightweight worth? The shifters and handlebars must hurt the resale value. Unless someone is just buying it for the frame to Campy out.
Old 11-02-10, 05:50 AM
dynne

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks, Skinny Matt! It's going to be hard to part with. If only I figure out a way to justify holding onto it.
Old 11-02-10, 06:18 AM
dynne

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
Right. There appears to be nothing original on it at all. I see that as an improvement. Someone really loved this bike. As cs1 said, he/she sunk a ton of money into it. What kind of shifters are those? If you change to drop bars, I'd love to buy those shifters and bars.
They seem to be generic Shimano friction shifters, and the bars are no-name. What is of particular interest to you? Just curious.
Old 11-02-10, 08:44 AM
Mr IGH
afraid of whales

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
You sure serial number isn't FCxxxxx? My guess is it's a pre-1971 frame that was modified and chromed. There's always a chance it's been chromed at the factory, but the kickstand removal and seatpost clamp make me think it wasn't done by Schwinn.
Old 11-02-10, 04:09 PM
dynne

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr IGH
You sure serial number isn't FCxxxxx? My guess is it's a pre-1971 frame that was modified and chromed. There's always a chance it's been chromed at the factory, but the kickstand removal and seatpost clamp make me think it wasn't done by Schwinn.

I triple-checked, and the serial number clearly shows FC. Someone must have taken it on as a serious modification project.

I have to ask - what is something somewhat unique like this worth? It's not a Paramount, but are there people who love other Schwinns? Any clue as to where the seat tube decal came from?
Old 11-02-10, 04:32 PM
Thumpic

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
way outa' my league, price and knowledge......but I'd sure like to see a hi-res photo spread..................
Old 11-02-10, 04:33 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Because it's so odd, the price you could command could be very high or very low. And as always, the longer you wait, the more you can get for it.

Old 11-02-10, 05:14 PM
dynne

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi-res pics to come. I'd like to clean it up a bit first. I'm mid-move right now so my shop isn't set up, but I can do a bit of a shining remotely. Good fun.
Old 11-03-10, 06:15 AM
Sierra
Uff Da!

Liked 184 Times in 91 Posts
I triple-checked, and the serial number clearly shows FC. Any clue as to where the seat tube decal came from?
The C indicates that it's a '67 model and that fits with the photo that shows the rear dropout which appears to be a forged Huret.

I'm surprised that there are that many characters in the s/n though. All the Super Sports from this period that I have seen had a much shorter number.

The seat tube decal was used on the early sixties Traveler model.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.