Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Masi is such a rip-off!

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Masi is such a rip-off!

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-10, 04:17 PM
IcySmooth52

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Masi is such a rip-off!

Do your research! Masi's Gran Corsa, going for $1,675, has a decent aluminum frame with carbon stays (that I think are a little pointless) and a full Shimano 105 drivetrain. But the fork has an aluminum steerer and it doesn't have BB30. You can the Gran Corsa and far more from the: Jamis Ventura Race (full carbon fork), Specialized Allez Comp Compact (SRAM Apex, no CF stays but a far better aluminum), Felt F75 (BB30, full carbon fork), and the Cannondale CAAD 10 5 (CAAD10 is a better frame I think we can agree, BB30, full carbon fork). *Clears throat* Might I mention that all of these examples are cheaper as well. This value disagreement doesn't apply to only the Gran Corsa but almost every bike offered by Masi. Are there any who would disagree?
Old 11-17-10, 04:22 PM
Sourpuss Magee

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Color me perplexed. What's the issue?
Old 11-17-10, 04:26 PM
VT Biker

Bikes: Cannondale R700 (2005)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Regardless of price, you are getting nothing more than a re-badged stock bike from one of the Taiwan manufacturers. Masi is nothing more than a tradename play. In fact, you could argue it was the first of its kind, even before it current incarnation, when it moved from Italy in the 70's to California and started manufacturing their bikes in Mexico. However, at least then, there was some sense that Masi still was designing the bikes themselves. Masi's input seems to be focused more on price point (i.e. - component selection) and paint scheme. Other than that, I have a feeling a bunch of stock models are sent over from Taiwan (hell - the owner blogs baout his trips there) where he selects the models/combinations which fit into his business plan.

Not my cup of tea, but their paint schemes are typically more retro than their competitors. They are in essense, kind of an expensive, nostalgic Sora.
Old 11-17-10, 04:28 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 561 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22701 Post(s)
Liked 9,058 Times in 4,208 Posts
BB30 is way overrated.

If you think it's not a good buy, don't buy it.
Old 11-17-10, 04:30 PM
Sourpuss Magee

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by VT Biker
Regardless of price, you are getting nothing more than a re-badged stock bike from one of the Taiwan manufacturers. Masi is nothing more than a tradename play.
Every bike that's not a Giant is a tradename play. Ok, I exaggerate. But not worth getting upset over.
Old 11-17-10, 04:44 PM
IcySmooth52

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Sourpuss Magee
The MSRP of Masi's offerings are over comparable models from other makers. And the other makers aren't just cheaper but have more. Here's another example: Masi's 3VC with a lugged carbon frame, Ultegra drivetrain, and the Ultegra wheelset. The Jamis Xenith Pro goes for the same pricetag with SRAM Force, Mavic Ksyrium Equipe wheels, and an amazingly better frame. By amazing I mean it has BB30, tapered headset, asymmetrical stays and more. Which would you choose?
Old 11-17-10, 04:47 PM
longbeachgary

Bikes: Eddy Merckx San Remo 76, Eddy Merckx San Remo 76 - Black Silver and Red, Eddy Merckx Sallanches 64 (2); Eddy Merckx MXL;

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas
If you think it's not a good buy, don't buy it.
Bingo.
Old 11-17-10, 04:48 PM
calamarichris
Banned.

Bikes: '09 Felt F55, '84 Masi Cran Criterium, (2)'86 Schwinn Pelotons, '86 Look Equippe Hinault, '09 Globe Live 3 (dogtaxi), '94 Greg Lemond, '99 GT Pulse Kinesis

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 389 Post(s)
Liked 270 Times in 153 Posts
Originally Posted by VT Biker
when it moved from Italy in the 70's to California and started manufacturing their bikes in Mexico.
Not entirely accurate. I know for a fact mine was made in Carlsbad (where I live now) back in 1984; an LBS owner in Oceanside who used to build frames for Masi back then, even suspects he might have built mine.

Admittedly, their recent bikes don't do much for me, but I've cherished my Rosebud since '88.

Old 11-17-10, 04:54 PM
Essex

Bikes: Tarmac, Focus Urban 8, Giant Hybrid

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I remember seeing some Masi and DeRosa frames during the early 80's at UC Berkley....your photos take me back to that time. What a beautiful, beautiful bike. Drool favorite great!

Essex
Old 11-17-10, 05:24 PM
ultraman6970

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Calamarishis, probably yours is a real masi built maybe by tesch or masi himself but all the new stuff as like everybody;s stuff, made in asia, the other thing is that sombody bought the masi brand like zillions of years ago, so probably nobody but "wet b@cks" (using the word as expresion not as a derogative way, I'm a beaner also) work in their factory painting nowadays. I believe the price the op is talking about is not that bad, probably the bike in factory is not more than 250 bucks but after painting and badging the price goes up big time, do the math and probably masi is selling only the components, thats it and the frame goes almost for free.
Old 11-17-10, 05:28 PM
kayakdiver
ah.... sure.

Bikes: Specialized.... schwinn..... enough to fill my needs..

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Guess that's why I purchased a Giant... May as well go straight to the source. I still don't see the OP's point. If they are overpriced and nobody purchases them they will go out of business. They seem to still be around. Suggest not buying one.
Old 11-17-10, 05:44 PM
IcySmooth52

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Of course I'm not going to buy one. This is a forum about bikes, so the OP was creating a topic to chat about!
Old 11-17-10, 06:13 PM
kudude
slow up hills

Bikes: Giant TCR, Redline CX, Ritchey Breakaway, Spec S-works epic

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by IcySmooth52
Of course I'm not going to buy one. This is a forum about bikes, so the OP was creating a topic to chat about!
Too specific for starting a conversation. Makes it look like you want a Masi, but don't want to pay what they ask. You'd be better off talking about Italian bikes being overpriced then giving examples from different brands.

$0.02
Old 11-17-10, 06:18 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 561 Post(s)
Quoted: 22701 Post(s)
Liked 9,058 Times in 4,208 Posts
Also, not to give the OP a hard time, but when you comparison shop you may not want to go by MSRP. Some shops/dealers will routinely give a discount for some brands but others may charge full MSRP.

And if you really want to get a laugh about MSRP look at Motobecane! That is a total joke. But probably a discussion for another thread.
Old 11-17-10, 06:23 PM
IcySmooth52

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas
Also, not to give the OP a hard time, but when you comparison shop you may not want to go by MSRP. Some shops/dealers will routinely give a discount for some brands but others may charge full MSRP.
Actually I can see the numbers of how low a shop can advertise their bikes at, and Masi doesn't let it go much less than the MSRP. Are they getting desperate?

And Kudude is simply giving me a hard time.
Old 11-17-10, 06:34 PM
kudude
slow up hills

Bikes: Giant TCR, Redline CX, Ritchey Breakaway, Spec S-works epic

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Actually I can see the numbers of how low a shop can advertise their bikes at, and Masi doesn't let it go much less than the MSRP. Are they getting desperate?

And Kudude is simply giving me a hard time.
yup.

Lots of brands have control on how low prices can be advertised. Some don't even allow shops to ship their bikes. Do I read your post to say that you know what price controls shops are under? Is this across lots of brands or just Masi at your local shop?
Old 11-17-10, 06:36 PM
patentcad
Peloton Shelter Dog

Bikes: 2017 Scott Foil, 2016 Scott Addict SL, 2018 Santa Cruz Blur CC MTB

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Quoted: 1142 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by calamarichris
Not entirely accurate. I know for a fact mine was made in Carlsbad (where I live now) back in 1984; an LBS owner in Oceanside who used to build frames for Masi back then, even suspects he might have built mine.

Admittedly, their recent bikes don't do much for me, but I've cherished my Rosebud since '88.

That's a nice friggin old school race bike.
Old 11-17-10, 06:46 PM
umd
Banned

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac SL2, Specialized Tarmac SL, Giant TCR Composite, Specialized StumpJumper Expert HT

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Sourpuss Magee
OP discovered that not all bikes have the same "value" and got his panties in a bunch.
Old 11-17-10, 07:33 PM
Accordion

Bikes: 2011 Cannondale CAAD10

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Way to refer to yourself in the third person. You're going to give BF's Gift To Narcism (pcad) a run for his money!
Old 11-17-10, 09:02 PM
ptle

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I've always thought Masis were overpriced along with Treks... However, Trek has some decent deals for entry level bikes now.
Old 11-17-10, 10:12 PM
roccobike
Bike Junkie

Location: South of Raleigh, North of New Hill, East of Harris Lake, NC

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Specialized Roubaix, Giant OCR-C, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, Stumpjumper Comp, 88 & 92Nishiki Ariel, 87 Centurion Ironman, 92 Paramount, 84 Nishiki Medalist

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 27 Posts
I thought MASI was now owned by HARO and is the badge they use to market road bikes. From what I've seen of HARO MTBs, they use standard frames and price their bikes so that you get a nicer set of components for the money spent. I looked at a few MASI road bikes last time I was at my LBS. They are nice looking bikes.
Old 11-17-10, 10:40 PM
IcySmooth52

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ptle
Trek has some decent deals for entry level bikes now.
Trek's entry bike frames suck. They use straight gauge aluminum.
Old 11-17-10, 10:57 PM
celticfrost
Raising the Abyss

Bikes: Expensive ones that I ride slowly

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 3 Posts
Do your research! Masi's Gran Corsa, going for $1,675, has a decent aluminum frame with carbon stays (that I think are a little pointless) and a full Shimano 105 drivetrain. But the fork has an aluminum steerer and it doesn't have BB30. You can the Gran Corsa and far more from the: Jamis Ventura Race (full carbon fork), Specialized Allez Comp Compact (SRAM Apex, no CF stays but a far better aluminum), Felt F75 (BB30, full carbon fork), and the Cannondale CAAD 10 5 (CAAD10 is a better frame I think we can agree, BB30, full carbon fork). *Clears throat* Might I mention that all of these examples are cheaper as well. This value disagreement doesn't apply to only the Gran Corsa but almost every bike offered by Masi. Are there any who would disagree?
You really care that much about BB30 and a FULL carbon fork? Yet, in your opinion, the carbon stays on the AL frame are pointless?

Anyway, I could only find one place supposedly having the Gran Corsa in stock and it's not going for MSRP (surprise, surprise).

https://bicyclespleasanton.com/produc...sa-52739-1.htm

Go to your nearest Masi dealer and tell them you want them to meet or beat that deal. Those are pretty sweet looking bikes.
"...in Las Vegas where -the electric bills are staggering -the decor hog wild -and the entertainment saccharine -what a golden age -what a time of right and reason -the consumer's king -and unhappiness is treason..."
Old 11-18-10, 05:36 AM
john423
Rain, rain go away

Bikes: 2009 Schwinn Sierra GS; 2010 Specialized Allez Elite Compact; 2009 Jamis Coda Comp

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I didn't take it like a goof, but a Masi dealer near me offered me this model bike (the Gran Criterium) for slightly over $1,000. Apparently Masi was getting rid of 2010 models and had ONE of these left. By the time I did some Internet research on it, it was gone. I liked the weight and the Rival components, but alas. I wound up slightly overpaying for a 2010 Specialized Allez Elite, according to another thread here.
Old 11-18-10, 06:18 AM
learnmedia
Go, Dog. Go!

Bikes: '09 Fuji Team; '11 PedalForce QS3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The MSRP of Masi's offerings are over comparable models from other makers. And the other makers aren't just cheaper but have more. Here's another example: Masi's 3VC with a lugged carbon frame, Ultegra drivetrain, and the Ultegra wheelset. The Jamis Xenith Pro goes for the same pricetag with SRAM Force, Mavic Ksyrium Equipe wheels, and an amazingly better frame. By amazing I mean it has BB30, tapered headset, asymmetrical stays and more. Which would you choose?
Masi's overpriced? Maybe. You being proof that marketing is effective? Certainly.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.