Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

help needed with Peaugeot Lauteret refurb

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-10, 12:26 PM
phatjonny

Bikes: Cannondale H200

Liked 28 Times in 14 Posts

So I am finally getting round to this. I was thinking of rebuilding this old bike and even having it resprayed. I have decided it is not worth it – even for the sentimental value it holds for me – to do a full refurb, so instead I am just going to make it ride with the minimum investment and with some of the old parts I have here in Switzerland.

The difficulty is that I will only be in Ireland, where the bike is, for one week over Christmas, so I need some help putting together the parts order. This is more difficult as I do not have any photographs and there is no way to get any before Christmas

Can anybody tell me the tube diameter, what the largest tyre the frame will hold, how the rear shifter connects to the frame, etc., etc,..

Many thanks!
Old 11-27-10, 02:31 PM
nwbikeman

Bikes: Serotta Davis Phinney, 1992 Serotta T Max,1984 Specialized Allez, Olmo, 1974 Strawberry,Redline bmx, ect.,

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi, The wheels are 700c or 27" but the frames were older so they had a lot of room for big tires 27"x11/4" or if 700c then the tire widths of 23,25,28,32,38 here in the states. I would get the largest that will fit through the brakes, as some brakes didn't have QR. The seat tube is 1 1/8" for the front deraileur. The rear was both a frame mount or rear axle mount. The rear axle mounting seemed to be on bikes without the QR rear wheel or had come on bikes with the cottered cranks, so this could be ether one. See if someone can confirm the tire size from sidewall of tire or stamped into the rim near the valve stem and deraileur mount and you should be good.
Old 12-05-10, 05:32 AM
phatjonny

Thanks nwbikeman

I have been able to look at a few pics from this catalogue... (1988 U.K. pdf)

https://www.cyclespeugeot.com/Catalogs.html

It looks as if the rear changer screws into the frame, can anybody confirm this and would a modern shimano derailleur match the thread pattern? If it is connected to the axel bolt are there any fittings that can enable me to use a more modern rear derailleur?

It looks as if the original tyre was a 700x25 and I will probably go with a 700x28 an I will need to get a new wheel set as the original wheels are goners.

My idea is to use a modern 8 speed hub for he rear, has anybody experience of spreading this type of frame, or do you know the size of the current hubs front and rear?

Many thanks for the help, I really am looking forward to getting this bike moving again over my Christmas holiday - but if I get the parts order wrong I will be somewhat without a paddle due to the distance to the nearest LBS.

John

Last edited by phatjonny; 12-05-10 at 01:04 PM. Reason: added catalogue name
Old 12-06-10, 10:40 AM
nwbikeman

Bikes: Serotta Davis Phinney, 1992 Serotta T Max,1984 Specialized Allez, Olmo, 1974 Strawberry,Redline bmx, ect.,

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi, can't get the PDF but being an 88 you frame is 126 spaced so going to 130 is easy on the frame. The deraileur is regular threading, so no problems there. Also here in the USA. the stem and bars changed and now should be of a more modern size of 25.4 bar diameter and 22.2 stem diameter not the older under size French bar and stem. If you don't want to spread the frame then this is what you could do with Shimano's help,lol. In the 80/90's Shimano did a running change of the 7 to 8 speed hubs in 126mm and then to 130 spacing with both 7 and 8 speed hubs also. So that said you can find these wheels or hubs in 105/600/DA both in 126 & 130 . If you can get the 130 spaced 8 speed rear hub then take out the 5mm spacer from the NON Drive size and redish the rear wheel you have the stock 126 spaced 8 speed hub. If you have a lbs that sells used parts then the difference is that the rear hub with a 5mm spacer between the axle cone and locknut is the only difference between 126 & 130.The hub is also 9 and 10 speed competable but then all drive train changes and I don't think you can find French BB except Phil Wood. Good Luck

Last edited by nwbikeman; 12-06-10 at 10:45 AM.
Old 12-23-10, 12:04 PM
phatjonny

Thanks very much for the help. I have placed the order and have my tools packed in my hold luggage. Now I just need to hope that the weather improves enough to let my flight through...

Merry Christmas

John