Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Ti Manufacturers - Any to stay away from?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-10, 02:36 PM
PhotoJoe 
Just Plain Slow

Bikes: Lynskey R230

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts

This is NOT asking about the benefits of Ti. Nor is it a "Carbon vs. Ti" thread. I know better than that.

I'm seriously thinking about buying a Ti for my first road bike in 26 years. Budget is tight, so it would either be a Motobecane new or something used. Also, I don't plan on flipping the bike any time soon. I tend to obsess over my decisions, buy the best I can afford and keep it for a while. For example, my current "road bike" is my mid-90's RockHopper with slicks.

I see some names listed for sale that I have not seen discussed here much. Being that it will most likely be used, warranty support probably isn't an issue, so I'd like to look toward brands that wouldn't make me miss the warranty. From my search and a year or so of lurking here, I know Merlin, Seven, Lynksy, Litespeed, Moots and the Motobecane have good reputations, not that I can even afford some of those used. What about Serotta, Dean, Torelli, Douglas, or....? Are there any I should stay away from?

Would you buy a new Motobecane for roughly the same as a used brand X?

I see two used that are local to me that I'm tempted to go look at. One is a Lynksy R230 (Campy) and one is a Torelli (not spec'd well, but that can be changed over time).

I have ZERO plans or even hopes of ever racing. I'm mid 40's and just want to put comfortable miles on with groups to keep up fitness and lose a "few" pounds. I may do a tri someday, just to say that I did it and plan on my first century since high school in April.

Then again, after all this obsessing, I may just break down and go buy the Giant Defy Advanced.

Thanks for any input.
Old 12-28-10, 02:40 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 561 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22759 Post(s)
Liked 9,153 Times in 4,245 Posts
The Moto's have been very well reviewed here.

I have a Habanero which is also relatively inexpensive, and ideal if you need custom geometry on a budget, you may wish to check them out too.

If you can stretch your budget a bit go for a Lynskey.
Old 12-28-10, 02:49 PM
giantdefy
The "Mechanic"

Bikes: 2013 Tarmac SL4 Pro; 2011 Lynskey Cooper, 2015 BH Quartz Disc, 2014 Yeti SB75

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
on a super budget, the Motobecane Ti wont disappoint, all rave reviews from owners, plus it looks nice and welds look just as good as any of the top brands. I just ordered a Lynskey myself but wont be ready until February, lots of good reviews, lots of happy customers. Lynskey is in a holiday mood this week, I would give them a call, sounds like some folks on their facebook page got some pretty good deals. Moots is my top choice but out of my price range. Merlin and Litespeed are both owned by ABG which has been getting a lot of bad press on several bike forums for lack of warranty service.
Old 12-28-10, 02:51 PM
nahh
on your left.

Bikes: Scott SUB 30, Backtrax MTB

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Lynskey would be my pick...but that's based solely on the fact that I drool at any frame they make.
Old 12-28-10, 02:58 PM
PhotoJoe 
Just Plain Slow

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by giantdefy
sounds like some folks on their facebook page got some pretty good deals.
Their facebook page doesn't come up for me. Have a link?

Edit: Nevermind. You have to spell it right! duh!

Just spoke to Don at Lynksey. It seems they are having a party in the office this week! Didn't offer me a free bike, though!

Last edited by PhotoJoe; 12-28-10 at 03:10 PM.
Old 12-28-10, 03:12 PM
HigherGround
Descends Like Avalanche

Bikes: Lynskey R240, Sportive, and a Helix Sport disc model in the works; Eddy Merckx MX Leader; Specialized Rock Hopper Comp (1988!)

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
PhotoJoe, I was replying to your question, when the edited version appeared in the quote box.
Old 12-28-10, 03:15 PM
PhotoJoe 
Just Plain Slow

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by HigherGround
PhotoJoe, I was replying to your question, when the edited version appeared in the quote box.
Timing is EVERYTHING! Thanks for being willing, though!
Old 12-28-10, 03:21 PM
HigherGround
Descends Like Avalanche

Bikes: Lynskey R240, Sportive, and a Helix Sport disc model in the works; Eddy Merckx MX Leader; Specialized Rock Hopper Comp (1988!)

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
No worries, I was just surprised to see the "new and improved" version of the post, that's all.
Old 12-28-10, 04:23 PM
StephenH
Uber Goober

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 32 Posts
It seems to me that, no more Ti frames than there are around, that I have seen a disproportionate number of posts about "my frame cracked at the weld but was replaced under warranty". That being the case, I'd be inclined to buy new, and from a manufacturer who i thought would be around 5 years from now.
Old 12-28-10, 04:52 PM
H1449-6
Former grouch, now happy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'd suggest that you just get a used, handbuilt steel bike. Assuming you're in a normal size range, you can find dozens of complete bikes on ebay at any given time for $1K +/- (sometimes a lot less). These will typically be a generation or two old (maybe they have 8-9 rear gears instead of 10). Another $150-200 for an overhaul and you've got a pretty nice ride.

If you're wed to the idea of Ti, post your budget and I'm sure you'll get more specific suggestions.
Old 12-28-10, 05:09 PM
patentcad
Peloton Shelter Dog

Bikes: 2017 Scott Foil, 2016 Scott Addict SL, 2018 Santa Cruz Blur CC MTB

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Quoted: 1142 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by nahh
Lynskey would be my pick...but that's based solely on the fact that I drool at any frame they make.
Me too.

But on a budget, the Motobecane Ti bikes are fine, my Fly Ti MTB is great, rode it today, most comfortable bike I've ever ridden actually.
Old 12-28-10, 05:41 PM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts
I have a made-by-Lynskey Ti bike and really like the stiff but smooth feel of the frame. I do think the quality is worth the price premium.
Old 12-28-10, 05:50 PM
PhotoJoe 
Just Plain Slow

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by patentcad
But on a budget, the Motobecane Ti bikes are fine, my Fly Ti MTB is great, rode it today, most comfortable bike I've ever ridden actually.
I hate to say this, 'cause it will go straight to your head, but your endorsement of the MB Ti goes a long way, considering your stable.

I spoke to the guy selling the Lynskey and it Veloce, which I'm not sure I'm thrilled with. Not sure I'm not, either. I've just read here that parts are hard to come by...and expensive. He wants $2400, which is out of my budget.

I spoke to the guy selling the Torelli, too. He's not sure of the year. Guessing 2002-03. It's set up with Tiagra and older parts, but he's willing to put the Ultegra kit back on it. As is with Tiagra, he wants $1,000. I can handle that, or a few extra bux for the Ultegra. Does anyone have input as to the Torelli Ti frame? I see they don't make it anymore.

I'm also looking at a Scott CR1 for $1700.

Can you tell I'm all over the place with what I want. I've ridden a bunch, but no Scott yet, and no Ti's yet. Those are a little harder to find locally. Whatever I end up with, it will be well researched...and then I'll be done obsessing over it and will just ride it. I would be in a bigger hurry if it were light after work!
Old 12-28-10, 05:55 PM
PhotoJoe 
Just Plain Slow

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by H1449-6
If you're wed to the idea of Ti, post your budget and I'm sure you'll get more specific suggestions.
I'm clearly NOT wed to the Ti. It is very appealing based on all the positive reviews here. I also loved the ride of the Giant Defy Advanced. I'm going to go ride a CAAD, Alez, Tarmac and Roubaix, too!

Budget - I'd like to not exceed $1800...will go $2,000 for the right deal, but no more. At least I'm seeing some options out there for 58 cm's.

Originally Posted by Barrettscv
I have a made-by-Lynskey Ti bike and really like the stiff but smooth feel of the frame. I do think the quality is worth the price premium.
I'm sure it is. However, with my family at the point we are in life, budget is an issue and the "premium price" may not be an option.

A "Made-by-Lynskey" bike? Sounds like a different brand? Which one?
Old 12-28-10, 05:59 PM
echappist
fuggitivo solitario

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
on a super budget, the Motobecane Ti wont disappoint, all rave reviews from owners, plus it looks nice and welds look just as good as any of the top brands. I just ordered a Lynskey myself but wont be ready until February, lots of good reviews, lots of happy customers. Lynskey is in a holiday mood this week, I would give them a call, sounds like some folks on their facebook page got some pretty good deals. Moots is my top choice but out of my price range. Merlin and Litespeed are both owned by ABG which has been getting a lot of bad press on several bike forums for lack of warranty service.
not to mention the fact that they are dying to get out of the Ti business. Litespeed offers only two models now: Archon and the Xicon; Merlin offers only the Extralight (gone are the Cielo and at least one other model). I wouldn't trust them to help you with any warranty down the road as it seem like they'd have no one with the expertise by then.

Originally Posted by PhotoJoe
I'm clearly NOT wed to the Ti. It is very appealing based on all the positive reviews here. I also loved the ride of the Giant Defy Advanced. I'm going to go ride a CAAD, Alez, Tarmac and Roubaix, too!

Budget - I'd like to not exceed $1800...will go $2,000 for the right deal, but no more. At least I'm seeing some options out there for 58 cm's.

I'm sure it is. However, with my family at the point we are in life, budget is an issue and the "premium price" may not be an option.

Old Litespeeds (i think before 2001 or something). Somewhere in the early 2000's, ABP bought out Lynskey's share of Litespeed (which i believe to be 100% at that time). As part of the agreement, there was a non-competing clause for 4-5 years. After that time, David Lynskey restarted his own brand.
Old 12-28-10, 05:59 PM
giantdefy
The "Mechanic"

Bikes: 2013 Tarmac SL4 Pro; 2011 Lynskey Cooper, 2015 BH Quartz Disc, 2014 Yeti SB75

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes you are all over the place with what you want, LOL! Sounds like your budget puts you out of the Lynskey range. If I were you, I would take a real good look at the Motobecane Le Champ Ti with Rival. I think it cost $1595 shipped to your door. Best bang for the buck Ti bike IMO!
Old 12-28-10, 06:05 PM
ZippyThePinhead
Slacker

Bikes: 1986 Peugeot Orient Express, 1987 Trek 560 Pro, 1983 SR Semi Pro, 2010 Motobecane Le Champion Titanium, 2011 Trek Fuel EX8

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
on a super budget, the Motobecane Ti wont disappoint, all rave reviews from owners, plus it looks nice and welds look just as good as any of the top brands.
I second the motion. I got a Motobecane Le Champion Ti back in the summer time, and to quote the great Chico Escuela, Motobecane has been bery, bery good to me. I just returned from riding it down to the beach, here in the middle of our bitter SoCal winter.

Old 12-28-10, 06:07 PM
patentcad
Peloton Shelter Dog

Steel blows by the way.

Ti.

Get Ti.
Old 12-28-10, 06:12 PM
coasting 
Still can't climb

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by patentcad
Steel blows by the way.

Ti.

Get Ti.
my 531 tubed steel bike is jarring compared with the ti.

No @coasting, you should stay 100% as you are right now, don't change a thing....quote Heathpack
Old 12-28-10, 06:17 PM
patentcad
Peloton Shelter Dog

Originally Posted by coasting
my 531 tubed steel bike is jarring compared with the ti.
No kidding.
Old 12-28-10, 06:19 PM
coasting 
Still can't climb

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
carbon rules too.

No @coasting, you should stay 100% as you are right now, don't change a thing....quote Heathpack
Old 12-28-10, 06:27 PM
scirocco

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Merlin and Litespeed are both owned by ABG which has been getting a lot of bad press on several bike forums for lack of warranty service.
Yup. One particular incident here: https://forums.roadbikereview.com/sho...d.php?t=232793
Old 12-28-10, 06:37 PM
Walter
SLJ 6/8/65-5/2/07

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 7 Posts
A shame that ABG is pulling Litespeed pout of Ti. I question the logic of that move but I'll save that for later.

I ride a '01 LS Ultimate and a 853 LeMond Maillot Jaune. I admit I like the LS more. It easily gets 90% of my miles.

I'll add to the chorus of Moto endorsers here just b/c it is nice to buy new.

Otherwise eBay usually has a good selection of Litespeeds. Though some break they are a very durable frame and much less risky, IMO, than just about anything else if you buy used. They do hold their value though so you're going to have to watch a few auctions.
Old 12-28-10, 06:44 PM
echappist
fuggitivo solitario

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
pcad, didn't one of your Ti road bikes have some sort of fracture and was junked? Who made it and how many miles did you have on it?
Old 12-28-10, 06:54 PM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts
Originally Posted by PhotoJoe

Lynskey does a fair amount of private label work. I'm 90% sure that Salsa is having Lynskey build the Vaya Ti & CX ti bikes.

Mine is a made-by-Lynskey "Planet X". Planet X is a UK firm, but Lynskey put his signature on the seatstay and seat tube.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.