Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Sufferfest video series...are they worth it?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-11, 04:17 PM
gazelle5333

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm the proud new owner of a Kurt Kinetic Trainer as of this afternoon and having seen the videos of them, I was wondering if anyone has used any of them. They look like they could be extremely useful in off-season training, yet I am always skeptical of shelling out the $ to online sites.

Any experiences?
Old 01-04-11, 04:22 PM
jdon

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 9 Posts
I used one at a friends the other night and didn't find it all that inspiring. Its different than coach Troys stuff but different isn't better in my opinion. If they work for you and keep you inspired, then they are worth it.

Last edited by jdon; 01-04-11 at 04:43 PM.
Old 01-04-11, 04:45 PM
Chris R.
Team ABC Cycles

Bikes: 2010 Colnago CX-1 and '12 S-Works Venge

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
here ya go:
https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...Sufferfest-vid
Old 01-04-11, 04:48 PM
crazyarm07

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think they're great. But I would suggest trying one for yourself, they're pretty cheap for training videos.
Old 01-04-11, 05:16 PM
BarracksSi
Bike ≠ Car ≠ Ped.

Bikes: Some bikes. Hell, they're all the same, ain't they?

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Funny, I was thinking today that I'd like to get some more Sufferfest vids. I have one from back when he was distributing them for free, and I reach for it rather than a Spinervals workout if I get stuck doing a spin bike at work. The race footage is more fun to watch than a roomful of people on trainers.
Old 01-04-11, 05:16 PM
gazelle5333

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Chris R.
oops...sorry. I'll admit I didn't search this one b/c I was running off to dinner as I was posting. Thanks
Old 01-04-11, 05:19 PM
BarracksSi
Bike ≠ Car ≠ Ped.

Bikes: Some bikes. Hell, they're all the same, ain't they?

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
He's also got some clips on iTunes as video podcasts, basically previews of the full videos (in case you haven't seen them already).
Old 01-04-11, 05:36 PM
rangerdavid

Bikes: 2009 Cannondale CAAD9-6 2014 Trek Domaine 5.9

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
never used or seen any of them. i have a bunch of the Spinervals videos and the CTS (Charmichael Training System) videos. Both very good and work on different aspects of cycling from power, climbing, technique, recovery, etc.
Old 01-04-11, 05:43 PM
Hida Yanra
VeloSIRraptor

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
worth it. I'll probably do one either tonight or in the morning.
Old 01-04-11, 05:44 PM
Hida Yanra
VeloSIRraptor

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
also - much cheaper than CTS or Spinnervals videos
Old 01-04-11, 05:44 PM
Agave

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not for me....

Ad copy says "killer music". I don't want to die on a trainer.
Old 01-04-11, 06:25 PM
thehammerdog

Bikes: Road bike is a Carbon Bianchi C2C & Grandis (1980's), Gary Fisher Mt Bike, Trek Tandem & Mongoose SS MTB circa 1992.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 722 Post(s)
Liked 353 Times in 226 Posts
I use the something. a Time Trial video they pushed the shat out of me and was useful but it is hard any far to easy to turn off.....now I just watch almost any TV show...which could explain why I am Obsese.
Old 01-04-11, 06:36 PM
ancker
W**** B*

Bikes: Several

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Definitely worth it. Its about the only way I stay motivated on the trainer.
I own Revolver and The Hunted, both sufficiently kick my butt.
Old 01-04-11, 06:44 PM
hhnngg1

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Ignore the haters. Trainer videos and DVDs, if excellent, are worth every penny.

I push harder on these videos than I do on the real road. (Lack of traffic and coasting helps.) Also, there is NO way I'd be able to go this hard in training without these videos, and I consider myself pretty mentally die-hard. Without the motivation, you simply won't/can't blast yourself the way you can with these videos.

Both Spinervals and Sufferfest are excellent. The Sufferfest ones have much, much better music, Spinervals gets the edge for having coach Troy yelling all your times and motivation into your ear nonstop - which is amazingly helpful since most of the time you'll be going so hard (with either video) that you won't even be able to watch the DVD for the second half since you'll be in so much pain. Sufferfest does have audio cues that are pretty good though for attacks and breaks.

Also - the Sufferfest "Angels" to me is the best-produced one. The "revolver" one isn't anywhere as good, in comparison, IMO, as the music doesn't change up as much and isn't as well picked and timed.

The "Suffer-O-Rama" Spinervals DVD is crazy hard. It's so hard that I actually dread doing it - but it's totally worth it. I climbed some nasty 20% grades today outdoors and while it was hard, I handled it well - all because of these videos, since I haven't ridden outside more than twice in the last 3 months.

If you've never done one of these DVDs, you have no idea how much pain you can inflict on yourself with a trainer. Far greater bang-for-buck timewise than riding on the road for a workout.
Old 01-04-11, 06:58 PM
Chris R.
Team ABC Cycles

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just dowloaded The Hunted and plan on doing it later tonight or tomorrow at the latest. That's 5 that i have now...the only one I'm missing is Downward Spiral...which I'm sure won't be long before I have.
At $10 a pop, it's so damn worth it (remember I'm a Canuk and live in an Igloo and therefore can't ride outside very much for many months).
Old 01-04-11, 07:43 PM
Hida Yanra
VeloSIRraptor

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I just dowloaded The Hunted and plan on doing it later tonight or tomorrow at the latest. That's 5 that i have now...the only one I'm missing is Downward Spiral...which I'm sure won't be long before I have.
At $10 a pop, it's so damn worth it (remember I'm a Canuk and live in an Igloo and therefore can't ride outside very much for many months).
funny, that's my favorite one :-)
Old 01-04-11, 08:00 PM
gazelle5333

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Downloaded Fight Club...I'll post later tonight when I'm done or tomorrow morning on what I think
Old 01-04-11, 08:17 PM
Chris R.
Team ABC Cycles

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Also post max heart rate as well please.
Old 01-04-11, 08:23 PM
mvnsnd

Bikes: Factor O2, Caad10, Caad2

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 78 Posts
Worth it my opinion. If your going to do a trainer ride, why not at least have cycling footage to look at.
Old 01-04-11, 09:31 PM
jrobe

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 23 Posts
Originally Posted by hhnngg1
Ignore the haters. Trainer videos and DVDs, if excellent, are worth every penny.

I push harder on these videos than I do on the real road. (Lack of traffic and coasting helps.) Also, there is NO way I'd be able to go this hard in training without these videos, and I consider myself pretty mentally die-hard. Without the motivation, you simply won't/can't blast yourself the way you can with these videos.

Both Spinervals and Sufferfest are excellent. The Sufferfest ones have much, much better music, Spinervals gets the edge for having coach Troy yelling all your times and motivation into your ear nonstop - which is amazingly helpful since most of the time you'll be going so hard (with either video) that you won't even be able to watch the DVD for the second half since you'll be in so much pain. Sufferfest does have audio cues that are pretty good though for attacks and breaks.

Also - the Sufferfest "Angels" to me is the best-produced one. The "revolver" one isn't anywhere as good, in comparison, IMO, as the music doesn't change up as much and isn't as well picked and timed.

The "Suffer-O-Rama" Spinervals DVD is crazy hard. It's so hard that I actually dread doing it - but it's totally worth it. I climbed some nasty 20% grades today outdoors and while it was hard, I handled it well - all because of these videos, since I haven't ridden outside more than twice in the last 3 months.

If you've never done one of these DVDs, you have no idea how much pain you can inflict on yourself with a trainer. Far greater bang-for-buck timewise than riding on the road for a workout.

Totally agree.

I have most of the Spinervals and CTS workout DVD's. I would add that I think the CTS videos are the best and hardest of the bunch. I especially like the 2 month CTS Progressive Power Series. It is a 2 month series of DVD's to do over the winter months that is power based. Every winter I do this series in Jan-Feb and have gained about 8-10% in my threshold power output. If I didn't have these DVD's, I would sell my trainer.
Old 01-04-11, 09:37 PM
Pedal Plebe

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
They are worth it. Riding on trainers sucks, they make it somewhat more bearable.
Old 01-04-11, 09:46 PM
wfrogge

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If I see Coach Troy's face one more time im going postal!!!!!
Old 01-04-11, 10:08 PM
HaroldC

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Downward Spiral and Revolver here. Both pretty good and keeps me interested and pushing hard for the duration. I've been through the Spinervals with Troy and can't stand the room full of people on trainers. Going to download Angels or something else, I like the series that much.....
Old 01-04-11, 10:35 PM
gazelle5333

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Also post max heart rate as well please.
Sorry...still in college so I don't have any of the fancy gizmos like a powertap or heartrate monitor. My parents(mom especially) are mad enough that I went out and spent my Christmas money on a $300 trainer instead of saving for a car. Not gonna push the envelope too far with the big toys. Those will come once I get a job (graduate in May) and finish paying off the student loans.

But I did the first 3 laps before my legs gave way and I started to feel sick from overexertion/cramp from being out of shape. I have no doubts that if you don't wussy out these videos are some serious training tools. LOVED "fight club". Gonna buy another 1 tomorrow...thinking about "the hunted" or "downward spiral"
Old 01-05-11, 03:21 AM
deepakvrao

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 14 Posts
Deleted

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.