Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

A new bicycle

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-11, 09:53 PM
Zagor

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A new bicycle

Hello people,

I apologize if I'm posting this in the wrong section.

I'm looking to buy a bicycle from an online bike shop. I don't own a lot of stuff and I've never made a purchase online. I was wondering if anyone on here have any experience with buying bicycles online and from stores like bicyclebananas and leesbicycle shop. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 01-06-11, 09:58 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Liked 1,363 Times in 868 Posts
Do you have your frame size sorted, it's like buying shoes in that regard..

Thats where your local shop is a great advantage.
Old 01-06-11, 10:07 PM
Zagor

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I do. My local bike shop and its staff are great! The only problem is that this bike sells at $300 less online.
Old 01-07-11, 03:07 AM
Juha
Formerly Known as Newbie

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
The problem with using local bike shop services (seeing the bike in person, having the right size determined, talking to the "great" staff) and then buying the bike online is, your local bike shop will be out of business soon. Of course the online shop is cheaper, they don't provide any of the services you just used.

Ask the bike shop if they're willing to reduce their price a bit, maybe ask for tune-up etc. Whatever difference remains, consider it as a price for their services.

--J

Who is this General Failure anyway, and why is he reading my drive?

Become a Registered Member in Bike Forums
Community guidelines
Old 01-07-11, 04:56 AM
Cyclaholic
CRIKEY!!!!!!!

Bikes: several

Liked 702 Times in 377 Posts
Originally Posted by Zagor
I do. My local bike shop and its staff are great! The only problem is that this bike sells at $300 less online.
You now know your frame size, you found a bike you like, you've found it at the best price, what's the problem? 300 bucks difference? heck, I'd buy it online without hesitation. Even if you didn't have access to a bike shop and paid someone who knew about bikes a professional fee of $300 to do the shopping for you you'd still break even while getting the sort of personal service that no bike shop could ever afford to give you. Bottom line, having a bike shop nearby is not worth a $300 premium on a bike purchase, not even close, IMO.
Old 01-07-11, 09:34 AM
Zagor

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well Juha, I would certainly feel miserable knowing that I'm putting someone out of business. However, their prices are placed well over suggested MRAP and being a student my pockets wouldn't be able to sustain that kind of stress. Besides, the bike fitting service was a comodity that I gladly purchased, so I think I've paid my dues to them. Also, I admire your advocacy for local bike shops and if the times were different, I'd take your advice. Kudos to you Juha.
Cyclaholic, the only reason I'm hesitant is because I dunno anything about these two online bike shops. I'm afraid if they would send me a damaged bicycle and not willing to do refund, in which case I'd rather go to craigslist or ebay and purchase used bike.

Last edited by Zagor; 01-07-11 at 09:50 AM.
Old 01-07-11, 02:58 PM
Juha
Formerly Known as Newbie

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Zagor
Besides, the bike fitting service was a comodity that I gladly purchased, so I think I've paid my dues to them.
In that case I agree, and no offense intended. I'm glad this isn't one of the "tried the jacket on for a fit, then ordered it from the 'Net" threads.

--J

Who is this General Failure anyway, and why is he reading my drive?

Become a Registered Member in Bike Forums
Community guidelines
Old 01-07-11, 04:18 PM
BarracksSi
Bike ≠ Car ≠ Ped.

Bikes: Some bikes. Hell, they're all the same, ain't they?

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Can the fitting session cost be rolled (pun not intended ) into a bike purchase?
Old 01-08-11, 11:03 PM
cyclist2000

Bikes: Masi, Giant TCR, Eisentraut (retired), Jamis Aurora Elite, Zullo, Cannondale, 84 & 93 Stumpjumpers, Waterford, Tern D8, Bianchi, Gunner Roadie, Serotta, Serotta Duette, was gifted a Diamond Back

Liked 2,038 Times in 604 Posts
Are you prepared to assemble the bike? and do the adjustments that are necessary? If you have the tools and knowledge then no problem, otherwise go to the bike shop. If you lived in my area, you should be able to negotiate a good deal on 2010 model bike. Maybe even on a new bike but I haven't tried that.