Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Well....I can ride better than I can walk

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-11, 07:27 PM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts

But that is not saying much at all. I seemed to have regressed a some the past couple weeks with increased pain in the feet and knees.

The weather was so nice today I had to try and get out on the road. From my last ride two weeks ago I figured I should just try and do 10 miles. At 10 miles I was feeling pretty good so just kept on going. I did recognize that there was a pretty strong tailwind so coming back would be much more difficult.

Anyway, managed 30+ miles and wasn't nearly as worn out as the 20 miler 2 weeks ago. It felt like I could have ridden much further so that's encouraging.

I have an appt with a rheumatologist in a couple weeks and maybe he can get me squared away once and for all. It sure is hard to try and plan for any centuries or tours not knowing what I'll be capable of. Just not ready to write the year off just yet though.

I'm tired of not being able to do all the things I like and need to do. I'll be back in Arizona this week---the place I acquired the virus. Maybe I can give it back along with soaking in some warmer weather.
Old 01-29-11, 07:44 PM
billydonn
Council of the Elders

Bikes: 1990 Schwinn Crosscut, 5 Lemonds

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Way to go Joe... that's good news!
Old 01-30-11, 02:24 AM
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Welcome to my world. After a winter of not a great deal of exercise the joints are seizing up and I have the old problem of knees flaring up again. Won't be long before riding weather comes around agin but 30 miles might be about my limit for the first ride.

Keep the good work up and start planning a "Gentle" Metric on a flat course instead of your 100 milers up mountains. Unless you really want to find out how hard they are.

Spike Milligan
Old 01-30-11, 07:05 AM
Bare Feet

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I hope you feel okay after going that far. Do you have any physical activity limitations given by any doctor or physical therapist? Would they have encouraged a 30 mile bike ride? Or would 10 miles have been the recommended limit? My concern is you're a 'mind over matter' kind of guy, am I right? (Takes one to know one : ) And I'd hate to see you pushing too hard too soon, leading to a set back. Maybe have a written plan that you stick with. Ex: First week 3 10 mile rides. If no add'l swelling, add 5 miles, the next week, etc.

After my 2nd cesarean section, my doctor wouldn't discharge me from the hospital even though I begged and said I felt fine. She said "I know you. You think you're okay. But, you would over do it and You wouldn't get the rest you need." She was right.

I hope Arizona helps at least lift your spirits! Get better . .
Old 01-30-11, 09:08 AM
NOS88

Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Joe: hope you all can get to the bottom of this soon, and get some permanent relief. I wouldn't write the year off yet either.
Old 01-30-11, 10:49 AM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
Originally Posted by Bare Feet
I hope you feel okay after going that far. Do you have any physical activity limitations given by any doctor or physical therapist? Would they have encouraged a 30 mile bike ride? Or would 10 miles have been the recommended limit? My concern is you're a 'mind over matter' kind of guy, am I right? (Takes one to know one : ) And I'd hate to see you pushing too hard too soon, leading to a set back. Maybe have a written plan that you stick with. Ex: First week 3 10 mile rides. If no add'l swelling, add 5 miles, the next week, etc.

After my 2nd cesarean section, my doctor wouldn't discharge me from the hospital even though I begged and said I felt fine. She said "I know you. You think you're okay. But, you would over do it and You wouldn't get the rest you need." She was right.

I hope Arizona helps at least lift your spirits! Get better . .
Good points. However you will not know your limits until you test 'em! It hasn't killed me yet so I guess I'm ok.

Btw-doing another shortish ride today and all is good-so far.
Old 01-30-11, 06:29 PM
Bare Feet

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jppe
Good points. However you will not know your limits until you test 'em! It hasn't killed me yet so I guess I'm ok.

Btw-doing another shortish ride today and all is good-so far.

Keep up the shortish rides, and smile while your out there In a few weeks, you should be up to more. Patience is your friend now.
Old 01-31-11, 09:43 PM
Wake
Sputnik - beep beep beep

Bikes: '12 Jamis Coda Elite '09 Jamis Sputnik, '07 Jamis Eclipse, '13 Brompton M6R.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
It's the hips that give me grief. I can ride 50-milers at a 15mph avg, and the occasional century with no problem, but I can't run a 5k without limping for several days after. I ran the Boston Marathon in 2005 in 4:07 and I'm glad I got to do it, but that's history for me now.
Old 02-03-11, 02:01 PM
ScottStr

Bikes: Windsor Wellington 3.0

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
My hips were the worst pain for me. I couldn't make a lap around the mall (1 mile) without having to take a sit-down break. I took up bicycling and could ride 35 miles (with several breaks) and not be in as much pain. I also had pain down into my calves. My orthopedic surgeon's PA diagnosed it in a hurry (after months of diagnosis and attempted treatment by my GP and months of PT) to a broken L5 vertibra from an accident 34 years earlier. A simple L5-S1 fusion and months of recovery and all is well. I still ride the bike because it's a hell of a lot more fun than running or walking, but I can walk a long time without a break now.

Keep working with the doctors until you find an answer that works. Good luck and keep up the good work.