Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Wheel Build w/ regard to Spoke count and weight

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-11, 02:04 AM
hillzofvalp

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm 200 lbs currently but 185-190 normally. I have a spare 28h aerohead rim.

A cannondale r1000 road conversion is underway, and I was wondering if the following REAR wheel build would be suitable. I am hoping to use this rim and spoke combo cause I already have a set of Cane Creek Volos and the spare rim.

Aerohead 28h (non-OC) (edited: previously said 18h.. lol)
White Industries ENO 28h 130mm.
SAPIM CX-Rays (J bend)

I know these spokes are some of the strongest out there, so I'm thinking 28h would be okay. My volos rear is 28h, but on a straight pull hub flange.

Eh?

Last edited by hillzofvalp; 02-08-11 at 08:54 AM.
Old 02-08-11, 02:08 AM
electusunus

Bikes: Trek

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How about looking into some Zipp Clydesdales?
Old 02-08-11, 08:53 AM
hillzofvalp

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
EDIT: Oh, a bit of a typo. I meant 28h from the start. not 18h. Nice try, though. I'll consider a car downpayment first.
Old 02-08-11, 10:54 AM
mihlbach

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked 127 Times in 68 Posts
You should be fine with those wheels, assuming the wheel is built by a competent person and the spokes are tensioned correctly. However, you WILL get better results with a stronger rim...try a velocity fusion or mavic cxp33 or Kinlin XR270 or XR300.
For what its worth, I am riding around on a pair of 24/28 spoke wheels with CXrays, and Kinlin XR300s. These wheels will easily handle a 200+ pound person.
Old 02-08-11, 11:42 AM
hillzofvalp

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
At least temporarily I'd like to stick with what I've got (velocity aerohead rim). But-- I will replace them in the future for sure with something beefier. Do you think there are other rims that would take the same spoke lengths?

I'm glad it will be safe though. Thanks for your input.

Last edited by hillzofvalp; 02-08-11 at 11:48 AM.
Old 02-08-11, 12:18 PM
mihlbach

Originally Posted by hillzofvalp
A Do you think there are other rims that would take the same spoke lengths?
No. Stronger rims are going to have a deeper cross section (thats what makes them stronger), and you will need different length spokes. Its going to be more expensive and far more difficult to replace your rim later than it will be to start with a different rim.

I'm glad it will be safe though. Thanks for your input.
I did not say "it will be safe". I said "you should be fine" and provided a caveat that the wheel needs to be built correctly if you choose to use that rim.

If I were you, I would by a more reasonably priced spoke and use the money you save on a different rim. CX ray spokes are nice spokes, but they aren't going to make your wheel any stronger or more durable than a decent butted round spoke.

Last edited by mihlbach; 02-08-11 at 12:21 PM.
Old 02-08-11, 01:00 PM
clink83

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
+1 on cxp33s. If you want a lightish burly rim a 28 or 32h cxp33(or Open Pro) will get the job done well without those expensive spokes. I weight between 200-210lbs and ride 32h cxp33s on my road bike, and they are great. I can actually keep my brake pads close to the rims without hitting them on a sprint.
What year R1000 are you converting?

Last edited by clink83; 02-08-11 at 01:03 PM.
Old 02-08-11, 02:56 PM
mihlbach

Originally Posted by clink83
+1 on cxp33s. If you want a lightish burly rim a 28 or 32h cxp33(or Open Pro) will get the job done well without those expensive spokes. I weight between 200-210lbs and ride 32h cxp33s on my road bike, and they are great. I can actually keep my brake pads close to the rims without hitting them on a sprint.
What year R1000 are you converting?
Thats probably more of a consequence of the spokes you are using, and has less to do with the rim. A heavily dished road wheel with CXRays on the DS will not be as stiff as a wheel built with a spoke that is not as strongly butted (DT competitions or Wheelsmith DB14s, for instance) on the DS. I'm guessing your spokes are 20-18-20 or 20-17-20. CXRays are 20-15-20. On the front and NDS rear it doesn't matter so much. The lack of dish on a track wheel makes it so much stiffer (and more structurally sound) that the thickness of the spokes doesn't matter so much.
Old 02-08-11, 04:43 PM
hillzofvalp

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well, maybe it would be worthwhile then to use cheaper spokes with the current aerohead I've got. I will build it up with a stronger rim down the road. Do you really think 28h would be fine? cause I they have 32h ENO hubs, as well. But then again I like the open pro idea, cause I already have an ultegra open pro wheelset as well. I want to build up some stiffer rims as well but I'm low on money right now.

My initial goal was to have matching wheels by building one to match what I've already got, with minimal cost. I didn't fully realize how expensive CXrays were. If you know a good way to help me utilize this rim then great! I don't care so much about matching spokes anymore.

CAne creek sent it to me as a replacement for my rear volos wheel (NON-OC!) with adapters. This was after a nasty crash involving QR slippage and wheel locking on frame. Totally not the users fault in my opinion but I won't get into that. That rim was all they had left as they have phased wheels out of their product line. ANyways-- It was free but I have no use for it otherwise and they're a pain to resell/ship. I will ask my lbs if I could use it for store credit, but most shops seem to only stock 32h rims.

I got a 1998 kameleon purple/green R1000 in pretty great shape off ebay for $120. Headset completely shot but I found a chris king 1" threadless for like $65 locally with 3000 miles/6mo use. Needs another fork for the threadless headset, too . For some reason the bb was not faced which confused my lbs. MAybe they were just trying to charge me the $15 to have it done. It was definitely used; I have no idea about why it wasn't faced.

I will use this frame for road purposes as well, whenever I'm not using my '95 steel rc bianchi frame (i.e. in winter).

Last edited by hillzofvalp; 02-08-11 at 04:52 PM.
Old 02-08-11, 06:45 PM
mihlbach

A well built 28-spoke aerohead wheel will hold your weight, but isn't really the best choice for your size. If you already have the hub, then I would just build it up, using a butted round spoke. You can get good spokes for around $1 each, so $28 for a new rear wheel isn't bad.

On the other hand, if you need to buy the hub, then I wouldn't bother investing in this rim any further. Get a new rim and maybe ebay the aerohead. If you go this route, I would avoid open pro rims. The open pro used to be the gold standard, but has now been surpassed by many other rims. Now its just an overpriced average rim that isn't very strong anyway. Consider a Velocity Fusion, CXP 33, or any of the deeper Kinlin rims. Any of these will be much better than an OP.

BTW, 28 spokes at your weight is fine with the right rim. I'm a similar size and have numerous 24/28 spoke road and FG wheelsets that have all help up great. I normally use CXP33s and Kinlin XR300s. If I were going to build a wheelset with an aerohead or OP, I'd go with 32 or even 36 (depending on what the wheelset was going to be used for).
Old 02-08-11, 08:06 PM
Ken Cox
King of the Hipsters

Bikes: Realm Cycles Custom

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I weigh 235lbs all up.

I ride 28 front and 32 rear with C-Xray spokes and Aerohead rims (I love Aerohead rims).

To me, 32 in the rear seems like a minimum on the street for anyone over 180 lbs.
Old 02-08-11, 08:14 PM
hillzofvalp

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hmm.. my volos are different I guess (24-28). I think that if they're under higher tensions they might work better. I'm a noob, but I know that 32 normal spokes are not the same as 32 sapims.

Cheap place to get 28 cx-ray spokes in the event that I ever need them?
Old 02-10-11, 10:24 PM
rkd350z

Bikes: Mercier Kilo TT, 1979 Rampar R2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I ride CXP33 32h and I love it!!!!! I weight 170ish and I am harsh on my wheels and they stay fairly true.

Mavic= Made in France & First bicycle wheel co.
Old 02-11-11, 07:16 PM
Ken Cox
King of the Hipsters

Bikes: Realm Cycles Custom

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Hmm.. my volos are different I guess (24-28). I think that if they're under higher tensions they might work better. I'm a noob, but I know that 32 normal spokes are not the same as 32 sapims.

Cheap place to get 28 cx-ray spokes in the event that I ever need them?
My fast commuter has Cane Creek Volos wheels and over five years they have stayed as straight and true as the day I first rode them.

Amazing wheels.

I wonder why Cane Creek has discontinued them.

I tried to buy a set of hubs from them back in the day and they would only sell complete wheels.

I know of no cheap CX-Ray spokes.

'Spensive.
Old 02-13-11, 08:39 PM
hillzofvalp

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah. Volos are awesome but the skewers suck. They sent me this 28h non-OC rim for my rear cause that's all they had left. They said that my 95 bianchi steel rc frame wasn't prepared correctly. As in, the fork ends didn't have enough "roughing up" for the hub to grab the frame. Wheel slipped out, bent the frame some, and ruined the rim. also cosmetically injured the bike. Not fun.

They sent me special spoke extenders with that rim for building it up on my rear. Oh well, it was probably out of warranty and they gave me something.

If anyone needs this aerohead 28h steriling rim, PM me! $40 shipped conus.
Old 02-21-11, 11:00 PM
rich13g

Bikes: volume cutter v4, centurion facet

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
32h or 48h help by the way there julians im confused wich one to get
Old 02-23-11, 12:03 AM
hillzofvalp

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
english.. yikes.

48h is for loaded touring generally. stick with 32 if your load + your weight is less than say 300 pounds. (28 front)

36 in rear if you're really heavy.. 32 in front
Old 02-23-11, 11:37 AM
clink83

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mihlbach
Thats probably more of a consequence of the spokes you are using, and has less to do with the rim. A heavily dished road wheel with CXRays on the DS will not be as stiff as a wheel built with a spoke that is not as strongly butted (DT competitions or Wheelsmith DB14s, for instance) on the DS. I'm guessing your spokes are 20-18-20 or 20-17-20. CXRays are 20-15-20. On the front and NDS rear it doesn't matter so much. The lack of dish on a track wheel makes it so much stiffer (and more structurally sound) that the thickness of the spokes doesn't matter so much.
No, it was a results of having crappy machine built shimano R500 wheels on my bike, and being 200lbs.

Last edited by clink83; 02-23-11 at 11:41 AM.
Old 02-23-11, 12:04 PM
mihlbach

Originally Posted by clink83
No, it was a results of having crappy machine built shimano R500 wheels on my bike, and being 200lbs.
Thats not what I was commenting about.