Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Which mixtes have....?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Which mixtes have....?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-11, 11:23 PM
triplebutted

Bikes: Lemond, Gios, Fuji, Trek, too many to write

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Which mixtes have....?

So my daughter saw a picture of a mixte bike and said she'd rather ride a bike like that to school than her cruiser.
Then I realized, I don't really know much about mixtes.

Which ones, (I've seen old white Peugots) have the double top tubes? I see them on CL all the time with single top tubes. Usually a Schwinn or something like that.
Old 02-13-11, 11:28 PM
triplebutted

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Oh duh! I just read on Sheldon Brown that a real mixte is exactly what I just described, not a "girls" bike. Okay, so now I just need to look...
On Sheldon's site, there is a Raleigh mixte. So there are Raleigh, Peugot, anything else?
Old 02-13-11, 11:28 PM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista Vitus 979 Duralinox

Liked 6,941 Times in 3,959 Posts
Lots of mixte bikes have the twin top tubes.

Peugeot, Motobecane, Suteki, Miyata, Fuji, Raleigh just to name a few.

Old 02-13-11, 11:29 PM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista Vitus 979 Duralinox

Liked 6,941 Times in 3,959 Posts
Check out the Mixte Gallery for more.

https://themixtegallery.wordpress.com/

Old 02-13-11, 11:38 PM
ColonelJLloyd 

Liked 13 Times in 10 Posts
I don't believe a mixte must have twin top tubes. Most do, yes, but I've seen plenty bikes I consider mixtes that have three pairs of stays yet don't have twin top tubes. Just about all of the marques had a mixte in the lineup at some point.
Old 02-13-11, 11:44 PM
triplebutted

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Oh I like that mixtegallery site.
Old 02-13-11, 11:53 PM
mkeller234
Rustbelt Rider

Bikes: 1990 Trek 1420 - 1978 Raleigh Professional - 1973 Schwinn Collegiate - 1974 Schwinn Suburban

Liked 372 Times in 177 Posts
Miyata 210 mixtes have twinn top tubes. The Miyata that I had was a pretty nice bike.
"(@)'(@)"""''"**|(@)(@)*****''(@)
Old 02-14-11, 12:11 AM
CMC SanDiego

Bikes: Too many to list, all titanium or steel.

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
I've got Bridgestone and Nishiki Mixtes, with twin top tubes. Check out this link to see some beauties

https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...+us+your+mixte
Old 02-14-11, 12:54 AM
michael k

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by triplebutted
so my daughter saw a picture of a mixte bike and said she'd rather ride a bike like that to school than her cruiser.
Then i realized, i don't really know much about mixtes.
carefull...

Thats how it starts

Old 02-15-11, 08:06 AM
miamijim

Liked 112 Times in 80 Posts
Old 02-15-11, 09:03 AM
triplebutted

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by michael k
carefull...

Thats how it starts
That's how it ALL starts!!!
Old 02-15-11, 09:35 AM
MrEss
likes to ride an old bike

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by miamijim
Oh, wow! Quoting the picture because we can all stand to see that again.

Why, on such a beautiful bike, use a sidepull rear brake? A centerpull brake with extra long wraparound straddle wire is so elegant!

Also, why do most people build mixtes with townie bars? Here's some 'saved from the grave' drop-bar mixte love:

Old 02-15-11, 09:44 AM
Sigurdd50
Papa Wheelie

Bikes: Jamis Aurora '02; Takara Medalist (650B)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I love the way Mixtes look with townie bars. They just look like elegant cafe cruisers and commuters. *plink plink*
Old 02-15-11, 10:25 AM
triplebutted

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Sigurdd50
I love the way Mixtes look with townie bars. They just look like elegant cafe cruisers and commuters. *plink plink*
I agree. That's what I'm gonna do. I have the velo-orange porteur on my commuter and just love it. But for the mixte and my daughters, its gonna be a niagaracycle el cheapo thing...
Old 02-15-11, 11:14 AM
mkeller234
Rustbelt Rider

Bikes: 1990 Trek 1420 - 1978 Raleigh Professional - 1973 Schwinn Collegiate - 1974 Schwinn Suburban

Liked 372 Times in 177 Posts
Here are a couple of the Miyata 210 I flipped a couple years ago. It was a pretty nice bike.

"(@)'(@)"""''"**|(@)(@)*****''(@)
Old 02-15-11, 11:23 AM
Doohickie
You gonna eat that?

Bikes: 1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS

Liked 90 Times in 54 Posts
Originally Posted by triplebutted
Oh I like that mixtegallery site.
Thank you.

I got busy with things and shut it down for a while. I recently got it going again but want to work through my backlog before opening it up for new submissions.

Just hosting the gallery doesn't make me an expert, but to me the thing that distinguishes a mixte is three sets of stays: Chainstays, seatstays and what I call midstays. The midstays should extend all the way to the headtube, either as two stays or (as on older Schwinn and the newer Rivendell Betty Foy) as a single top tube that continues the line of the midstays.

Originally Posted by bragi "However, it's never a good idea to overgeneralize."
Old 02-15-11, 11:25 AM
triplebutted

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Doohickie
distinguishes a mixte is three sets of stays: Chainstays, seatstays and what I call midstays.
I NEVER noticed a difference until I started looking into it. I had no idea. I thought they all looked like women's bikes. I appreciate the design more now.
Old 02-15-11, 11:33 AM
SJX426 

Bikes: '65 Frejus TDF, '73 Bottecchia Giro d'Italia, '83 Colnago Superissimo, '84 Trek 610, '84 Trek 760, '88 Pinarello Veneto, '88 De Rosa Pro, '89 Pinarello Montello, '94 Burley Duet, 97 Specialized RockHopper, 2010 Langster, Tern Link D8

Liked 2,265 Times in 1,130 Posts
Is this the original sloping top tube design?
Old 02-15-11, 11:58 AM
bbattle

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 5.2, 1985 Pinarello Treviso, 1990 Gardin Shred, 2006 Bianchi San Jose

Liked 29 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by SJX426
No, this is:

Old 02-15-11, 12:16 PM
Doohickie
You gonna eat that?

Bikes: 1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS

Liked 90 Times in 54 Posts
No, actually. It came about as a compromise. "Mixte" translates as (more or less) "mixed" which is what the French apparently use to denote "unisex".

Originally Posted by bragi "However, it's never a good idea to overgeneralize."
Old 02-15-11, 12:17 PM
3speed

Liked 29 Times in 23 Posts
Womans or not, I don't really care. I actually don't even care about riding a straight up single top tube womans bike. But why is it that so many people don't think that a mixte is a womans bike? Look at a mens bike, now look at a womans bike, and then look at a mixte. Just because someone says "Oh, see this womans style bike? I know it's designed exactly like a womans bike, but it's somehow not a womans style bike because I said so." doesn't make it not a womans style bike. That's just silly. It would be more appropriate to just say "Hey, I realized that a womans style bike has some benefits and I prefer it sometimes." If anything I think it's more manly to just ride the womans bike and be confident in the fact that you like it and who cares what others think versus trying to deny the fact that it's a womans bike.

EDIT: Just saw Doohickie's post. Did the French have the same womans bikes with dropped top tube that we did?
Old 02-15-11, 12:26 PM
Bionicycle
No I'm Not a Pirate!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

It seems with bicycles that almost nothing is ever new under the sun, and trying to find out who did what first is almost impossible. While I was just doing some personal (curiosity) research on the origins of the Mixte frame, I did come across this https://www.rijwiel.net/kruisfre.htm web site that links the Mixte to a group of frames refereed to as Cross frames, or Girder Frames.

If you go to the opening page of this site and look at the hand drawn frame designs, please note that number 33 resembles a Mixte, although it is hard to tell whether it has twin top tubes or not because of the hand drawing. The picture date is 1901, so it does show the history of the Mixte frame going back at least that far.

But, I would be likely to guess that the first "Step through Frame" was more likely a U-frame/loop frame design... But, I will admit I have no evidence to know for sure.
Old 02-15-11, 12:42 PM
Bionicycle
No I'm Not a Pirate!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 3speed
Womans or not, I don't really care. I actually don't even care about riding a straight up single top tube womans bike. But why is it that so many people don't think that a mixte is a womans bike? Look at a mens bike, now look at a womans bike, and then look at a mixte. Just because someone says "Oh, see this womans style bike? I know it's designed exactly like a womans bike, but it's somehow not a womans style bike because I said so." doesn't make it not a womans style bike. That's just silly. It would be more appropriate to just say "Hey, I realized that a womans style bike has some benefits and I prefer it sometimes." If anything I think it's more manly to just ride the womans bike and be confident in the fact that you like it and who cares what others think versus trying to deny the fact that it's a womans bike.

EDIT: Just saw Doohickie's post. Did the French have the same womans bikes with dropped top tube that we did?
One could just as easily ask, How did we get to this stupid Men's vs Woman's bike idea in the first place. I know that the step through frame was made so that women of modesty could ride a bike in a dress without hiking a leg over a top tube. I also know that the diamond frame was developed because it was (for the time period) the strongest design that used the lightest tubing, (thus good for racing) a male dominated sport.

But, who was the idiot that ever decided that therefore a man can not ride a step through, and a woman can never ride a diamond frame? The woman diamond frame thing has all but died, but this outdated idea that a man can not ride a step through seems to be doggedly hanging on in the American Bicycle Marketing Department.

When the Mixte frame came out, most families could not afford a "Gender Specific" bicycle... Why buy two bikes when one will do just fine. Unisex bikes made a lot of sense around the turn of the 20th century, where the woman and man both needed to ride the bike for travel.

PS... could you imagine if that would have translated to motor vehicles? Men would only be able to drive pickup trucks, and women would only get to drive pink or light blue sedans.

But, to answer the original statement... no one is saying a Mixte is unisex to make it not a woman's frame, we call it unisex, because that is what it was and is, and was designed to be from the start. It's resemblance to a woman's frame is what most likely drove it to be associated as such.

Last edited by Bionicycle; 02-15-11 at 01:03 PM. Reason: added thought
Old 02-15-11, 02:41 PM
blaise_f

Bikes: Surly Trucker

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The mixte with the key to my heart:

Old 02-15-11, 03:09 PM
scozim 
Ellensburg, WA

Bikes: See my signature

Liked 498 Times in 168 Posts
The '84 Trek mixte I had last year for a short time was a really nice bike. I'm working on a Shogun mixte right now and am looking at the different styles of bars. Anyone use an mtb bar on a mixte or is it pretty much drop bars and "townie"/cruiser style?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.