Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

If you have used a wireless computer, did you like it?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway
View Poll Results: I have tried a wireless computer, and...
... I am still using it.
90.20%
... I switched back to a wired computer.
6.86%
... I like it, but not enough to use it on all my bikes.
2.94%
Voters: 102. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-11, 06:54 PM
HigherGround
Descends Like Avalanche

Bikes: Lynskey R240, Sportive, and a Helix Sport disc model in the works; Eddy Merckx MX Leader; Specialized Rock Hopper Comp (1988!)

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I'm curious how many people have tried a wireless computer and liked it, compared to those who tried it but went back to a standard wired unit. Please mention the wireless model(s) that you have had first hand experience with, along with any specific problems.

I am interested in a computer for basic functions such as speed and distance, rather than fancier features such as GPS mapping, power meters, etc. The Cateye Strada is one model that I am especially considering. Thanks, in advance, for your feedback.
Old 02-22-11, 07:03 PM
LowCel 
Throw the stick!!!!

Bikes: GMC Denali

Liked 92 Times in 31 Posts
I have used wireless computers from Cateye, Specialized, Topeak, Polar, and Garmin. I am very happy with all of them. The last wired computer I used was a Powertap and the only reason I had the wired version of that was because I purchased it before they were available wireless, my second and third powertaps have been wireless.

Last edited by LowCel; 02-22-11 at 07:07 PM.
Old 02-22-11, 07:18 PM
nablack

Bikes: '84 Schwinn World Sport, '77 Fuji Sports 10 (In Pieces)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am curious to see how this turns out. I have been looking at the wireless Cateye's too, in particular the Strada Double Wireless. Any thoughts on that model or comparable models appreciated. How is Cateye cadence technology?
Old 02-22-11, 07:19 PM
bsektzer

Bikes: Pinarello Paris/Ui2, BMC TeamMachine SLR01/Campy Record EPS

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm using the Bontrager Node2 wireless. I like it, and there have been no problems whatsoever. I've used wired Cateye n the past and have no reason to go back.

One item I did look for in a wireless computer was ANT+ compatibility to allow the use of other wireless ANT+ devices like the Powertap, for instance.
Old 02-22-11, 07:21 PM
fishymamba

Bikes: CAAD9-6, 13' Dawes Haymaker 1500

Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
I have the Bontrager Trip 4w on my Cannondale. Have had no problems with it. Never going back to a wired computer.
Old 02-22-11, 07:25 PM
M_FactorX19

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i use a wireless
Old 02-22-11, 07:28 PM
Aurelius

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Strada is awesome. No complaints.
Old 02-22-11, 07:31 PM
Bob Ross
your god hates me

Bikes: 2016 Richard Sachs, 2010 Carl Strong, 2006 Cannondale Synapse

Liked 1,338 Times in 733 Posts
eh, yer poll needs to allow multiple choices: I'm a #1 and a #3.

I got a CatEye CC-CD300DW Double Wireless 5 years ago. I really like it. Just a couple weeks ago I moved it from the bike where it's resided these past 5 years to my new S&S coupled bike, because it's been suggested that the fewer wires running to the handlebars the easier it'll be to pack that bike for travelling. I hope I can get at least 5 more years use out of it on this bike...and if I can't I'll probably look for something similar or close to it to replace it.

In general, I really like the clean lines of wireless units. I suppose if money were no object, all my bikes would have wireless units.

But money is an object. My two other bikes have a very simple Sigma BC906 wired computer, and whereas I say "I really like" the CatEye wireless, I can unequivocally say "I love" the Sigma BC906. It is unbelievable simply to use and easy to read, and it has absolutely no features I don't absolutely need and all the ones I do.
Old 02-22-11, 07:36 PM
iam7head

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Used a Serfas computer wireless

worst POS ever.

candence will not read half of the time, the sensor is rubbish because signal drops because of it's out of range on my 54 compact frame even with fresh battery(LOL, yes)

oh yeah, interference on group ride, end up throwing it to the trash and picked up a cateye wired cadence, which works great.
Old 02-22-11, 07:41 PM
pdedes
ka maté ka maté ka ora

Bikes: breezer venturi - red novo bosberg - red, pedal force cg1 - red, neuvation f-100 - da, devinci phantom - xt, miele piste - miche/campy, bianchi reparto corse sbx, concorde squadra tsx - da, miele team issue sl - ultegra

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
my first wireless was a cateye v2c (for sale btw) i liked it but i have 3 road bikes. got a garmin 500 (the bonus is ant + hr etc.)
Old 02-22-11, 07:54 PM
achoo

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
The nice thing about wireless is you need only one computer for multiple bikes.
Old 02-22-11, 08:12 PM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Liked 5,419 Times in 1,872 Posts
Bontrager Node 2 - Using it on both my Madone and my Circuit. Have no real problems with it. Once sensors and magnets are set up right all is fine. Have no desire or need right now to use anything else.
Old 02-22-11, 08:14 PM
Sprocket Man
Prefers Aluminum

Bikes: Wife: Trek 5200, C'dale Rush Feminine, Vitus 979 Me: Felt S25, Cervelo Soloist, C'dale Killer V500, Miyata Pro (fixie)

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I went through 3 or 4 models of wireless computers (I don't remember the specific make and models) but I was always a bit disappointed by the sensors. It was hard to get them to stay in place. I'd often find that if I went over a small bump or hit a tiny pothole, the sensor would move and the computer would stop working. I got the Mavic Wintech with skewer sensor and I love it . It's a well-designed solution. I was disappointed in the altimeter on the computer, though. It was really inaccurate.
Old 02-22-11, 08:17 PM
lazerzxr

Bikes: Colnago C59 Italia Di2

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Garmin 705 and polar cs200. Both excellent and never any issues other than the odd HRM drop out you get with any HRM. I wouldnt bother considering a wired computer and hevent done for about 6 or 7 years now
Old 02-22-11, 08:20 PM
Looigi

Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
The new ANT+ based wireless setups are much more reliable than the old ones. Garmin and the *****trager Node computers are ANT+ among others.
Old 02-22-11, 08:23 PM
Nachoman
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Liked 339 Times in 208 Posts

By null at 2008-11-09

Use both. The batteries last much longer in wired.
And if you can do a clean job wrapping the wire, it can look okay.

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Old 02-22-11, 08:24 PM
donreb

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a cat eye strada wireless, and love it. It is simple to use, easy to install, and it works perfectly.
Old 02-22-11, 08:27 PM
kenji666

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Garmin 500, but I don't like the heart rate monitor chest strap. The electrodes are too close together and I get a lot of errors reading my HR. Does anyone know if I can use another HR strap with ANT+ for the 500?
Old 02-22-11, 08:47 PM
canam73

Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
I had an old wired of some type from the early 90's that worked fine. But about 5 years ago I started cycling regularly again and got a Sigma 1606L wireless with cadence. I know others have had trouble with these, but it worked great for me. The only times I ever had an issue was running it next to a head light, but then again you can't see it much then anyway. But I now regularly use multiple bikes so I got an Edge 500 because I like being able to quickly throw it on whatever I feel like riding. I do have the speed/cadence sensor on one of my bikes, but like most people after a while you learn to go by feel for cadence and I find the gps speed accurate enough for my purposes.
Old 02-22-11, 08:53 PM
wrr1020

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I used a planet bike wireless computer for awhile until i bought an Edge 500, i had no complaints with it. Sometimes i would get false speed readings, one time it said my max speed was in the 80 mph area. I bought the 500 due to the wealth of information i get out of it along with being able to track all my rides with garmin connect. So really i had no problems with the planet bike computer, i just wanted something better.
Old 02-22-11, 09:08 PM
Shuke

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Garmin Edge 500 with premiuim HR strap. I love it. Never have any issues with the HR or speed/cadence sensor. I've read that some people have problems with the premium hr strap but i haven't had any.
Old 02-22-11, 09:10 PM
pgjackson

Bikes: Rossetti Vertigo

Liked 119 Times in 70 Posts
https://www.performancebike.com/bikes...1_20000_400127

I have one of these. Works like a champ. We use wireless cell phones, cordless home phones...don't know why you would use a wired cyclometer.
Old 02-22-11, 09:22 PM
pmcq

Bikes: Trek 1.5 2009

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Garmin 800 with premium HR strap. Had a couple of problems with battery life in the beginning, but tweaked controls and now it works well.
Old 02-22-11, 09:30 PM
cccorlew
Erect member since 1953

Bikes: Trek 520 Grando, Roubaix Expert, Motobecane Ti Century Elite turned commuter, Some old French thing gone fixie

Liked 38 Times in 21 Posts
Sigma 1606wireless works great for me. EXCEPT running a high power light next to it, or a "minty boost" battery extender for the Garmin, causes interference. and no reading.

But I've had it years and am happy.
Old 02-22-11, 09:42 PM
ILUVUK
en fuego

Bikes: Trek Madone 3.1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've been using a Cateye Micro Wireless for 4 years. It has worked flawlessly. When this one dies, I will probably get a Cateye with cadence.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.