Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Rear Light opinions?

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Rear Light opinions?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-11, 08:34 PM
j-quix

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rear Light opinions?

Any opinions on best rear light? reviews? im specifically considering:
-Ravx Super Sight Bicycle Taillight - L11R7
-Cateye TL-LD610 Tail light
-SIGMA TAILGUARD Rear Light

if you have thoughts on one of these or recommendations on another model of rear light, id love to hear them!

Thanks!
Joey
Old 02-23-11, 08:45 PM
erpdat

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Get the planet bike super flash. Best thing is, you can clip it onto your belt and they're extremely bright. $25, take AA batteries and the batteries generally last for a long time.
Old 02-23-11, 08:49 PM
yummygooey
i smell bacon

Bikes: Geekhouse Deerfield, GT Edge Ti, Spooky Skeletor, TET Track, Ritchey P-650b, Bridgestone MB-3

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Or a Portland Design Works Radbot 500 or 1000.
Old 02-23-11, 08:58 PM
lverhagen

Bikes: Swobo Folsom, Diamond Back Master TG, Mongoose Alta, Huffy Daisy Tandem

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
+1 on the Planet Bike Super Flash. I have it and it is hella bright. It ought to to be adequate.

Cheers
Old 02-23-11, 09:15 PM
sickwithit

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
no lights

Last edited by sickwithit; 08-22-11 at 06:30 PM.
Old 02-23-11, 11:21 PM
leed

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
+1 on PDW Radbot1000

Planet Bike SF is great, but I lost half of it (the important half) due to bump roads, the Radbots don't have this issue at all. I also lost a Princeton Tech Swerve the same way.
Old 02-23-11, 11:28 PM
cc700
Ths Hipstr Kills Masheenz

Bikes: tirove

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I have:

-Radbot 1000

-axiom spark 4.0

-knog boomer

-pbsf stealth

each are good depending on what you want.
do you commute a lot? do you lock up outside a lot? do you want to clip this onto your bag or pants or clothes?

Knog is coming out with rechargable and magnetic clipping boomers that will be amazing. planet bike is coming out with a 1w turbo flash that should be amazing, too... like a smaller radbot 1000 that has no reflector.

can't really say without knowing more about what you want.

i would suggest the spark 4.0 if you want a great light and usb charging is important to you but you can't wait for the knog.

i would suggest the knog if you have more than one bike.

i would suggest the radbot 1000 if you want the brightest ****ing thing in the world right now.

i would suggest the sf turbo if you want something as bright as the radbot 1000 but you don't like the radbot for whatever reason.

i would also say the least likely to fall off without you wanting it to is the knog if you have a 27.2 or larger seat post and mount it there.

i will say i hear of cateyes falling off all the time and their mounts are specific to model generations if not models. I don't like cateyes.

i love lights, i can't really recommend one of the aforementioned over another because i can't have just one myself. I love being able to throw on my boomers, or my sparks, or my radbot and just have awesome lighting even if a battery is dead or i am not near a computer all night. I will say the knog clippable boomer sounds like it will be super awesome, I like the idea of a magnetic latch attachment for a rear light. clip it through clothes!
Old 02-24-11, 12:47 AM
Retem
Paste Taster

Bikes: , Jury Bike, Moto Outcast 29, Spicer standard track frame and spicer custom steel sprint frame.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
my two favorites of all time are the
planet bike superflash
serfas tf2000 (it can be hard to find)

both have good visibility and quite a few mounting options as well and they are cheap
Old 02-24-11, 01:27 AM
Leukybear 
THE STUFFED

Bikes: R. Sachs Road; EAI Bareknuckle; S-Works Enduro

Liked 20 Times in 17 Posts
Another +1 for the radbot 1000; I think I was the first one to mention this on ss/fg lol; mines still holding up strong after nearly a year and a half of nearly daily use.

Originally Posted by veganbikes
Pound sign: Kilo TT
Old 02-24-11, 01:29 AM
geej

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
yaaaa radbot 1000!
Old 02-24-11, 08:49 AM
chenghiz

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Aren't the radbot and superflash pretty much the same thing? I was honestly under the impression they were both just rebranded imports. Either way, I've had a stealth superflash for a year and a half now and it's been excellent.
Old 02-24-11, 09:05 AM
cc700
Ths Hipstr Kills Masheenz

Bikes: tirove

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
certainly not. their flash modes are vastly different, the pulse width is much higher on the radbot, the radbot doesn't have the two auxillary flashing leds of the pbsf, and the pbsf doesn't have the retroreflector of the radbot. the closure mechanisms are also vastly different, with the radbot closing with a set screw and the pbsf closing by pressure. similarly, the switch on the radbot is a weather resistant mechanical button that moves relative to the housing and 'clicks' when activated, while the pbsf's switch is simply set right under a flimsy panel of the body and must be operated by squeezing the body itself, with no tactile feedback for activation. the radbot must be switched off by holding down the button for one second, where an impact will turn the pbsf off if the switch isn't aligned properly.

plus, the radbot uses a higher quality LED, even in the radbot 500 which is rated the same as the led in the pbsf.

the radbot 1000 is a 1w, where the pbsf is a .5w. not a huge difference to most people but definitely noticeable.

the pbsf turbo will be 1w and include a second flashing mode. the sfturbo will be available in a few months, they say.

The best of both worlds to me is the knog boomer, which has a switch under silicon with bumps to tell you where it is, auxillary leds set in the optic race of the lens in addition to its .5w main led, a great design that requires no mounts, and plans for a usb recharging and magnet or clip clippable version landing about june.

that said, for a bike with a rack or other very sturdy mounting point or obscured seatpost, the radbot comes with a rack mount and that's my weapon of choice for my bikes when there are racks on them.

I find both the radbot and the boomer to have far more successful and effective flashing patterns than the pbsf, and look far better in constant mode. the pbsf tries to save battery life by having a low pulse width, and that makes it look weird like an out of phase television set when it's on constant.
All of these lights are pretty directional, but I think the boomer and radbot1k win out in side visibility, the knog because of its optic design and the radbot because it's just that much brighter, and has a good housing.

Last edited by cc700; 02-24-11 at 09:14 AM.
Old 02-24-11, 09:05 AM
Retem
Paste Taster

Bikes: , Jury Bike, Moto Outcast 29, Spicer standard track frame and spicer custom steel sprint frame.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
the radbot is 1w and the superflash is 1/2w and quite a bit smaller
Old 02-24-11, 09:15 AM
yummygooey
i smell bacon

Bikes: Geekhouse Deerfield, GT Edge Ti, Spooky Skeletor, TET Track, Ritchey P-650b, Bridgestone MB-3

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
What is the estimated price of the PBSFTurbo? It looks to be the most comparable to the PDW Radbot 1000, but the Radbot 1000 can be had for around $25. I got mine for $18 when Amazon was having a sale.
Old 02-24-11, 10:51 AM
HandsomeRyan
Pants are for suckaz

Bikes: Hardtail MTB, Fixed gear, and Commuter bike

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Another vote for:

PB Superflash
• Inexpensive
• Bright
• Readily available
• Good run time

-and-

PDW Radbot1000
• Very Bright
• Inexpensive
• Did I mention very bright.
Old 02-24-11, 01:36 PM
homebrewk
yoked

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have a Knog rear light that works for me. I use it pretty lightly,,,, so you may want to splurge for a nicer light.
Old 02-24-11, 07:08 PM
mcerr

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
+1 for PB Superflash,
I've had mine for almost two years and it's still working great. It's so bright my friends complain when they ride behind me at night
Old 02-24-11, 07:13 PM
adriano 

Bikes: https://velospace.org/node/18951

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

α
Old 02-24-11, 07:21 PM
leed

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
One other thing about the Radbot lights, is that some states/counties do not consider a light a reflector by law. Which is why the RadBot has both (and if your battery dies, you still a greater chance of being seen).
Old 02-24-11, 08:41 PM
bleedingapple

Bikes: Leader 722TS, Surly Cross Check, GT Outpost, Haro Z16, Trek 1000

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a radbot 500 and "had" a pbsf. the radbot 500 seems really good accept that I like the flashing mode of the pbsf more and the fact that it has a gasket on the seam. I love the boomer but i got 2 malfunctioning ones in a row. if it gets bumped at all it switches to steady more and holding down the button wont turn it off.
Old 02-24-11, 09:42 PM
chucky
It's got electrolytes!

Bikes: Self-designed carbon fiber highracer, BikesDirect Kilo WT5, Pacific Cycles Carryme, Dahon Boardwalk with custom Sturmey Archer wheelset

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I like the Blackburn Mars.
Old 02-24-11, 09:53 PM
liberalswine
ganja mon

Bikes: affinity marta

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Call me a hipster, but I like the knogs for the rear. They just look super clean and subtle
Old 02-25-11, 11:57 AM
Maddox
Ride heavy metal.

Bikes: '74 Raleigh LTD-3, '76 Motobecane Grand Jubile, '83 Fuji TSIII (customized commuter), '10 Mercier Kilo WT (fixed obsession), '83 Bianchi Alloro, '92 Bridgestone MB-1 (project), '83 Specialized Expedition (project), '79 Peugeot UO-8 (sold)

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by adriano
So do you just ride around with unlit lights on your helmet during the day?

Last edited by Maddox; 02-25-11 at 12:15 PM.
Old 02-25-11, 12:02 PM
himespau 

Liked 3,120 Times in 1,926 Posts
Originally Posted by Maddox
ddd

So do you just ride around with unlit lights on your helmet during the day?
I only have a rear light on my helmet rather than both like the other poster, but yes. Sometimes leave my other lights on the bike as well in case it starts to get dark or rain or something, I've get the lights ready to go.
Old 02-25-11, 12:32 PM
adriano 

Bikes: https://velospace.org/node/18951

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
its a price i think nothing of to never be caught without lights.

α

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.