Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Info on older folding bike - Bauer

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-11, 01:26 PM
jasclermont
bound by gravity

Bikes: '05 Trek 4300

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi all - I originally posted this in the folding bike thread, but felt it more appropriate to move here. I've become enamored with older folding bikes and found one I plan on grabbing this weekend. I really can't find much on this particular model, so I'm curious if anyone has any info (I'll know a bit about it once I pick it up this weekend). It's apparently a Bauer and was sold in a German bike shop, although I do not know how old it is. It no longer has its orig seat, but everything else looks orig. single speed with canister dynamo front and rear lights. There was one other mention of a Bauer Super Mini on these forums (no picture), but aside from that there's virtually no info at all out there on this model of bike.

Anyone have any insight on this thing?

Cheers.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Bauer folder 2.JPG (92.9 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg
Bauer folder 1.jpg (53.3 KB, 22 views)
Old 03-04-11, 03:03 PM
cycle_maven
Collector of Useless Info

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Ya, that's one of those scruffy little Italian or Czech U-frame folders from the mid-60's to mid 70's. I had a Bianchi Aquiletta of the same vintage that I spent some time restoring. They're cute but kinda heavy and the joint isn't very robust, which makes for a moderately flexy ride- not very stable if you ever get it to a high enough speed to notice. Mine started with a freewheel- that one looks like a coaster brake. Which is good since the brakes on mine were truly anemic.

The bottom bracket will be completely proprietary, so if that's gone, there no replacing it, so watch out. Anyway, it looks pretty nice- a little oxalic acid will do wonders. Have fun. Here's mine:

Old 03-04-11, 03:19 PM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Liked 577 Times in 342 Posts
Cycle Maven nailed it. I've seen that Bauer brand before, probably when I lived in Germany, but I don't remember.
Old 03-04-11, 03:38 PM
jasclermont
bound by gravity

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the info. I plan on cleaning it up as an introductory "restoration techniques" lesson for myself and will keep it at the office to use around the city while at work. I wonder if I'll be able to get the front and rear dynamos working (seller indicates he didn't think they worked)?

I'll post some pics or more info once I get my hands on it. With all the info about other folding bikes out there, I was surprised to find so little on this particular model.
Old 03-05-11, 06:23 AM
michaeldaruwala

Bikes: Gios "Aerodynamic" with an electic mix of Campy and Cinelli parts. A custom made Chinook frame built by Bruce Gordon, using Columbus tubing and Cinelli lugs silver brazed. I have upgraded the components on this bike to Campy Chrorus 9 speed

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
watch out for the right hand bottom bracket cup . It may be non conventionally threaded
Old 03-05-11, 01:43 PM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Liked 577 Times in 342 Posts
Oh, man, two dynamos! I've never seen that before. I wonder why there's an extra one on the back-- maybe the frame doesn't conduct well enough for the conventional one-wire system? I'd try to make it work with one dynamo (lose the rear one) but... whatever.

The dynamos are probably fine. If the light doesn't work most likely the problem is in the wiring, or the bulbs.
Old 03-07-11, 09:18 AM
jasclermont
bound by gravity

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So I picked up the bike and started the breakdown and cleaning. The paint is ok - a bit flaky w/ some rust in some small spots. I don't want to re-paint or anything that drastic, so I was thinking of cleaning the frame the best I can (simple green?) and letting it ride. I also have a cotter to deal with to get into the bottom bracket. Although ideally I'd like to get in there and clean it out, I'm 50/50 on just leaving it until I am sure there's a problem (it seems to pedal fine, albeit maybe not as smoothly as if it were tended to). Yes - I have cotter pin fright.

RHM - The dynamo in the back lights up a small red light. They both work, although they're a little worn (and pretty dull). I wonder if I can put a bit of dielectirc grease around the inside of the spinning mechanism to smooth em out?