Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

Ridekick - anyone use one?

Search
Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-11, 06:31 PM
AltheCyclist

Bikes: Many

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Anyone ever try out one of these?
https://www.ridekick.com/

Feedback?
Old 03-24-11, 08:36 PM
Sangesf

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
10 miles max!
Depends on price, whether it's worth it or not.
Prolly not, it's prolly like $1000 and not due out for another month or so.
I'll find out and let you know.
Old 03-25-11, 02:18 PM
DarthSensate

Bikes: '90s GT AllTerra Timberline with GM hub motor, Raleigh Competition, '81 Lotus Super Pro Aero, Schwinn S-25

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Linkage looks bad for a product designed to push 150lb+ bike and rider.
Wouldn't be surprised if it might have a high failure rate... or owners just mis-installing it.

There's also no option to use this trailer for cargo, groceries, etc.

I would suggest a single wheel cargo trailer with a hubmotor wheel kit installed instead.
Check the size of the rear wheels in the available trailers and find a hubmotor kit that matches and you're done. Nashbar and Performance have some good prices on cargo trailers. I think they are 16" and 20" wheels respectively:

https://www.nashbar.com/bikes/Product...2_171080_-1___

Last edited by DarthSensate; 03-25-11 at 02:44 PM.
Old 03-25-11, 02:50 PM
Allen

Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
The fact that it is attached to a flexible hitch would give me pause.
Old 03-25-11, 04:40 PM
AltheCyclist

Bikes: Many

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
This web site claims .. "the target price is around $550. This can assist a bike up to 19 mph and a full charge lasts about 15 miles."
https://reviews.mtbr.com/interbike/ri...-bike-booster/

Of course, all buzz is pre-production, so I'd expect the price (and the performance) to go down...

I honestly don't see this taking off. One of my friends just pointed out - this thing will be easy to steal so the whole commuter aspect is limited.
Old 03-25-11, 04:57 PM
2manybikes

Bikes: 2 many

Liked 324 Times in 170 Posts
Originally Posted by AllenG
That does seem wrong. I wonder if they have even tried one.
Old 03-27-11, 03:55 PM
csutke

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I rode one at Interbike and it performed surprisingly well. Because it is attached to the axle of the bike it feels very natural.
There's also no option to use this trailer for cargo, groceries, etc.
There actually is a lot of space on the inside for groceries and other things. Checkout the video on the Ridekick homepage.
Old 03-27-11, 05:34 PM
Sangesf

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Interesting... Poster with ONE POST... I wonder if he works for that company
Old 03-27-11, 11:20 PM
Mabman

Bikes: Some

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
With SLA performance and range are on par with a Walmart Izip that costs less but may appeal to someone that has a bike already and not room to store another.

i personally like pusher trailers and think they will have a place in the grand scheme in the future. More designs will be along I predict.
Old 03-28-11, 04:11 AM
jethro56 
Watching and waiting.

Bikes: Trek 7300 Trek Madone 4.5 Surly Cross Check

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a feeling that the use of these is very limited.
Old 03-28-11, 08:15 AM
DarthSensate

Bikes: '90s GT AllTerra Timberline with GM hub motor, Raleigh Competition, '81 Lotus Super Pro Aero, Schwinn S-25

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by csutke
I rode one at Interbike and it performed surprisingly well. Because it is attached to the axle of the bike it feels very natural. There actually is a lot of space on the inside for groceries and other things. Checkout the video on the Ridekick homepage.
Ah. I see that now. The photo initially looked like the trailer had no cargo space. Looks like about two grocery bags worth of space. Still... I think a cargo trailer with hubmotor kit would be a better way to go.
Old 03-28-11, 03:26 PM
RidekickCW
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you for your curiosity about the Ridekick power trailer. My name is Chelsey Walker and I work for Ridekick. Here are a couple of quick facts and answers for the power trailer:

It will push you up to 19 mph for 12-15 miles, but you are right - the more weight that is being pushed, the less the life of the charge may be. There will also be an upgrade lithium ion battery that will run on a single charge for around 25 miles that will be available in the summer.

You can use the boost when you need it and pull it when you don’t. Hit the throttle to push you past any barriers (like wind, hills, fatigue, or sweat!) in your way.
The Ridekick power trailer attaches to the rear hub of your bike – all the energy is transferred into the axle, pushing you straight ahead with ease. Having a two-wheeled trailer behind you actually gives you a sense of balance (unlike some e-bikes).

Having a flexible hitch on a motorized trailer does make you stop and say, “No way would this work!” But by all accounts, it does!

The cargo space will hold about 2 grocery bags (translates to about 41.8 liters of carrying capacity), depending on what you buy, of course! But there will be a cargo lid coming out this summer that will hold more of your stuff – it will easily carry your briefcase and gym bag!

There is a security loop on the hitch arm for locking your Ridekick power trailer to your bike and bike rack, and there is also a combination lock on the back of the unit to keep your things inside safe.

MSRP is $649. It will be available to purchase online at www.ridekick.com and through targeted bike dealers. Go to www.ridekick.com/dealer-locator to find a dealer near you and take a test-ride to see if the Ridekick power trailer suits your needs. Please feel free to stop by our offices, as well, if you are located in Northern Colorado to take a look, get some question answered, and take a test-ride! Our offices are located at 320 E. Vine Dr. Suite 219 in Fort Collins. We’re here 9-5 Monday through Friday.

Look for the Ridekick power trailer to be available this spring.

Please don’t hesitate to email me with any more questions or to set up a time to stop by and take a ride! My email address is chelseyw@ridekick.com.

Thanks, again, and I look forward to hearing from you!
Old 03-28-11, 11:21 PM
Sangesf

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
24v SLA based push trailer...??
Never seen one that could push faster than 16mph nor go for more than 10 miles unassisted.
19mph and 12-15 miles, I seriously doubt that.
Old 03-28-11, 11:37 PM
edcastrovalley

Bikes: "e" marin, gary fisher, giant

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
With the price of gas surpassing $4.00 a gallon here in California you may sell a few out West here. It wouldn't hurt to see a few people get out of their gas burners anyway.
Old 03-29-11, 03:46 AM
jethro56 
Watching and waiting.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This looks perfect to put behind a Hot Wheels or an electric Jeep.
Old 03-29-11, 11:17 AM
edcastrovalley

Bikes: "e" marin, gary fisher, giant

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jethro56
This looks perfect to put behind a Hot Wheels or an electric Jeep.
Yeah and plenty of room for a motor upgrade. Except then I would have to worry about jackknifing or something.
Old 03-30-11, 11:22 AM
RidekickCW
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have been riding a Ridekick power trailer prototype around for a few months now and the 24v SLA battery will get you up to the 19 mph. The 12-15 mile range does depend on weight and terrain, but it averages around 12 miles per charge. Please feel free to stop by our offices and check it out if you are in close proximity to Northern Colorado! Thanks!
Old 03-30-11, 02:03 PM
jethro56 
Watching and waiting.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RidekickCW
I have been riding a Ridekick power trailer prototype around for a few months now and the 24v SLA battery will get you up to the 19 mph. The 12-15 mile range does depend on weight and terrain, but it averages around 12 miles per charge. Please feel free to stop by our offices and check it out if you are in close proximity to Northern Colorado! Thanks!
Try contibuting something besides "I want your money." I wouldn't mind hearing about how this came to be or what componets you selected or the problems you had to solve. That might bring in business and that's OK but you're just trying to get free advertising.
Old 03-30-11, 02:50 PM
countersTrike
Recumbent Trike

Bikes: WizWheelz TerraTrike with Velo-Kit & 24V motor, completely enclosed (fiberglass/kevlar & Lexan) EZ SX Tad with 36V motor

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by edcastrovalley
With the price of gas surpassing $4.00 a gallon here in California you may sell a few out West here. It wouldn't hurt to see a few people get out of their gas burners anyway.
I am an old California Hot Rodder who gave up on that after muscle-car popularity seemed to fade. The first thought I had was taking my recumbent trike which already has a hub motor and adding a Ridekick to make a Hot Rod trike. I know, I know- I am beyond help...
Old 03-30-11, 03:20 PM
Mabman

Bikes: Some

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you want a Hot Rod trike you need one of these, not a Ride Kick. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WKAMu..._order&list=UL
Old 04-04-11, 08:14 AM
countersTrike
Recumbent Trike

Bikes: WizWheelz TerraTrike with Velo-Kit & 24V motor, completely enclosed (fiberglass/kevlar & Lexan) EZ SX Tad with 36V motor

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Mabman
If you want a Hot Rod trike you need one of these...
I saw that video= terrific! I spun quite a few 'donuts' on dirt, sand, or gravel with an old Currie motor; but the fun ended when I snapped the small chain. The hub motor I have now is controlled too low- more like a "slushy cruiser"; lacking acceleration. I wish I could afford that real Hot Rod trike. I could sure use some serious acceleration!!!
Old 04-04-11, 09:09 AM
lfairban

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Is anyone else worried about what is going to happen when those 10" wheels hit a pot hole or speed bump while holding groceries?
Old 04-04-11, 09:25 AM
Sirrus Rider
Velocommuter Commando

Bikes: '88 Specialized Sirrus, '89 Alpine Monitor Pass, two '70 Raligh Twenties, '07 Schwinn Town & Country Trike, '07 Specialized Sirrus Hybrid

Liked 36 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by AllenG

+1 I have five words to add to what you said: It's a Garage Queen
Old 04-04-11, 02:43 PM
countersTrike
Recumbent Trike

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by lfairban
Is anyone else worried about what is going to happen when those 10" wheels hit a pot hole or speed bump while holding groceries?
Having power and using full tilt power all the time is not what I mean! Cars can top 100 mph pretty easy (even Prius- remember the chase?). With gravity alone that EV in my avatar almost hits 50 mph once (that is why I took it apart- way too fast for me). Hauling stuff in my trailer keeps me at about 10 mph, and when I haul TVs or computers I go 5 max mph. Between tree roots and those hidden patches things can get nasty- FAST! A nice "new" road with no holes or patches that I am familiar when I am joyriding is just too much of a temptation for me!
Old 08-12-17, 02:26 AM
Aussie Shane

Bikes: Greenspeed Magnum XL - recumbent tadpole trike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My Ridekick

I bought a Ridekick trailer recently and gave it a run today around a 40km stretch of bike paths, with a few decent hills. I am 115kg (just over 250lb) and ride a 20kg recumbent trike, a Greenspeed Magnum XL. I placed a 10ltr water bladder in the trailer to give it some traction and was powering it on 2 x 12v, 15ah SLA batteries. I will be upgrading to 20ah Lithium Iron Phosphate batteries later but the SLA's will be fine until I get used to it.

The trailer worked well and pushed me along on flat ground at 23kph (just over 14mph). It handled well and when I wasn't using it, I didn't even notice it was there. I mainly used it to maintain my average speed going up hills, which is all I really wanted it for.

There was one problem. At the side of the control panel is a power lead to the motor. I found that this lead kept coming loose from the control panel. Although I had the battery pack tightly secured with the Velcro strap, I can only assume that the road vibration kept pushing the battery pack against the lead and disconnecting it from the control panel. When I got home, I stuck a couple of Velcro dots to the body of the control panel, wrapped a Velcro strip around the lead and secured the lead into the control panel, holding it firm with the Velcro strip. For added insurance, I placed a block of high-density foam between the side of the trailer (behind the motor) and the lead, so any movement of the battery couldn't dislodge the lead from the control panel. I'm taking it for a 70km ride (about 43.5 miles) tomorrow and will see if that has done the trick. I think it should. The next step would be to super-glue the plastic connectors together - but I don't want to do that unless I really have to.

At the run-out price of AUD$400 (approx US$315) it was a good buy. I'm riding across Australia next year and the trailer will give me some extra capacity for water, rations and equipment for the long stages across the Nullarbor. The extra assist up hills will certainly come in handy and it will supplement the range of the mid-drive kit I already have installed on the bike (with a 24v 17ah Lithium Iron Phosphate battery). Between the two units, it should give me a good 60km+ of assisted range and a bit of a boost riding up hills or into headwinds.

I'm happy with it.