Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Folded R20 "prop stand" ideas.

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-11, 10:15 AM
PolishGuy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

First off, I'm not referring to the kick stand. The R20 doesn't have one of the greatest folds but it is a fun bike. When folded, the only two contact points with the ground are the rear tire and the bottom of the chain ring. I've tried unsuccessfully to get one of the pedals situated in a way that it would act as a prop stand and raise the folded bike off of the ground. I'm thinking of making a small stand that will support the bike at the bottom bracket along with the rear tire and allow the bike to remain upright while in the folded configuration. I've seen similar designs on the Dahons and, I think, Pacific Cycles. Do any of you folks have any ideas for a DIY item or know of an accessory part that may do? Thx in advance, PG.
Old 03-28-11, 10:35 AM
chucky
It's got electrolytes!

Bikes: Self-designed carbon fiber highracer, BikesDirect Kilo WT5, Pacific Cycles Carryme, Dahon Boardwalk with custom Sturmey Archer wheelset

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How about trimming one of these?
Old 03-28-11, 10:57 AM
PolishGuy

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Nice idea. My R20 has the single leg factory kick stand which pivots in hing points welded to the bottom side of the chain stays where this type of stand would mount. Don't remember if there's enough room for this hardware once the factory stand is removed; the pivot point tubes would still be on the frame. Thx for your help, PG.
Old 03-28-11, 01:51 PM
brakemeister
New usename ThorUSA

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
if a regular Greenfield Esge Pletscher kickstand will fit ..than the double will fit as well..Its sturdy, folds to one side, not really cheap by any means, but well worth the money .... add a deluxe top plate and a couple feet to it and its almost luxurious ....

thor
who sells them things all day long
Old 03-29-11, 06:15 AM
chucky
It's got electrolytes!

Bikes: Self-designed carbon fiber highracer, BikesDirect Kilo WT5, Pacific Cycles Carryme, Dahon Boardwalk with custom Sturmey Archer wheelset

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by brakemeister
if a regular Greenfield Esge Pletscher kickstand will fit ..than the double will fit as well..Its sturdy, folds to one side, not really cheap by any means, but well worth the money .... add a deluxe top plate and a couple feet to it and its almost luxurious ....

thor
who sells them things all day long
Thor, since Dahons usually have a similar problem with resting on the chainring (unless the seatpost is down)...can you say whether these stands are good for propping up folded Dahons?
Old 03-29-11, 07:50 AM
brakemeister
New usename ThorUSA

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
havent tried this out, but it should work ..... They are a little too long , which doesnt make any difference when you use them when not folded up.... it just lifts the rear wheel off the ground a little more....
If you wish to deploy them while folded it might be a good idea to cut the legs down a little ( and cover the ends with a nice foot)
but should work
thor
Old 03-29-11, 08:14 AM
JosephLMonti

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Not to take this conversation in a completely different direction, but could a solution of this sort be considered?

Old 03-29-11, 10:56 PM
folder fanatic
Banned.

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by PolishGuy
First off, I'm not referring to the kick stand. The R20 doesn't have one of the greatest folds but it is a fun bike. When folded, the only two contact points with the ground are the rear tire and the bottom of the chain ring. I've tried unsuccessfully to get one of the pedals situated in a way that it would act as a prop stand and raise the folded bike off of the ground. I'm thinking of making a small stand that will support the bike at the bottom bracket along with the rear tire and allow the bike to remain upright while in the folded configuration. I've seen similar designs on the Dahons and, I think, Pacific Cycles. Do any of you folks have any ideas for a DIY item or know of an accessory part that may do? Thx in advance, PG.
I really like my "new" Raleigh Twenty bike myself. There are many people out there that can tell you they spend even thousands of dollars to upgrade/customize their own Twenty (or similar) folders. Here is a Webpage or two that is devoted to "Pixie" the Raleigh Twenty that is now completely refurbished at a cost of over a thousand dollars:
https://oak.ucc.nau.edu/sam86/Raleigh.htm

Whatever the case may be, I decided on a more frugal approach to my own restoration. You may visit the section of my exploration and restoration of my own Twenty right here: https://sites.google.com/site/compactcycling/the-restoration-of-raleigh-twenty

But that is not the end of my own bike's updating to the twenty-first century. It is about to undergo another transformation even as I write this. It may not be as fancy as Pixie's multiple purchases at it's own local bike shop. But the new goal I set for my bike is to make it able to travel like my Brompton and former Dahons does-compact and locked together in a neat package (although not as small). I am almost ready to test it out fully by traveling with it on trains and even on buses just as soon as I am off jury duty.

Now look at the newest accessory that makes it possible. This kickstand was from Giant which makes it for it's 20 inch Mode model bikes a few years back-making this kickstand unnecessary to trim it at all for use on my Twenty. It provides a firm foundation to balance on when the front section is folded back-very much like the long seat posts does for the Dahon & the Brompton bicycles when you drop the saddle down fully. It is not how much money you throw at a bike that makes it worthwhile and workable. It is how resourceful and thought out you make your project to be. Hence the name of my own Raleigh Twenty-Fusion. More on my latest upgrades a bit later.....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Kickstand Closeup.jpg (25.8 KB, 30 views)

Last edited by folder fanatic; 03-29-11 at 11:24 PM.
Old 03-30-11, 05:58 AM
alecw35

Bikes: Many

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
theres bash guards for off road bikes. a curved tube thats joined to the downtube and to the chainstays. curving down lower than the chainrings. I dont suppose there easy to fit to the 20s two thin down tubes and chainstays. might be easy enough to bend a bit of metal into shape and hold it on with p clips or flat brackets that hold on carrier racks
Old 03-30-11, 09:27 PM
folder fanatic
Banned.

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Dahon seems to offer something similar to the Giant's kickstand I placed on mine: https://us.dahon.com/node/169
I don't know if it will work on a Raleigh Twenty. Perhaps Thor could enlighten us with his insight and knowledge on all things-products-Dahon in this case. Although the description does offer some clues:

"....The Dahon DoubleStand is a center mounted kickstand that has unique advantages. It is much more stable, so when your bike is folded in a train and the train is lurching forwards and back, your bike is less likely to tip over. The DoubleStand also eliminates the need to lift your bike during the folding process. Folding is much easier and your back will thank you. Finally, and most importantly, the DoubleStand allows you to keep the seatpost of your bike extended and roll your bike in the folded state which is essential in train stations where you need to keep the bike folded and bagged...."

In the case of the Raleigh Twenty, the seatpost is fully enclosed within the frame like most bikes. There is no opening at the bottom end unlike most more modern folding bikes-and the seatpost itself is too short also. I have found that the double legs or prongs are the best ones for the job of keeping the bike propped up properly off the ground in both the folded and non-folded positions.

Last edited by folder fanatic; 03-30-11 at 10:41 PM.
Old 03-31-11, 07:57 AM
brakemeister
New usename ThorUSA

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Dahons double is most likely similar than other kickstands used by Giant.
I dont sell it as I dont like it.
Its forward design doesnt fit on all Dahons, its too narrow and therefore wobbly.

I sell the Pletscher double kickstand which will fit all Dahon bikes...
Yes I said for a custom look one could cut the legs down a bit, but thats for a custome look !!! They work right out of the box no extra work needed.

thor
Old 03-31-11, 11:01 AM
PolishGuy

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Folder fanatic, thanks for the info. I like the Dahon/Giant stand idea although I'm not sure how it will work with my R20 since it has the brazed-on factory kick-stand; but I will check into it. I'll also be looking into the links you've provided for the R20 mods. I plan to keep mine mostly stock but update a few items (isn't this how all the multi $100 to $1000.00 upgrades begin?) to make the bike more usefull to me. Alecw35's note on the "bash guard" might also be an option if the dual legged kick stand wont fit. I'm not too keen on JosephLMonti's rear wheel tire stand as the fender/Pletscher rack on mine would make this a cumbersome mod. I'll keep ya'll updated on what I do. Thx again, PG.
Old 03-31-11, 06:21 PM
Dynocoaster 

Bikes: Too many....................

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 6 Posts
Something like this https://www.bicyclehero.com/us/topeak...cle-mount.html
Old 03-31-11, 10:51 PM
chucky
It's got electrolytes!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
They work right out of the box no extra work needed.

thor
Even when the bikes are folded? 99% of the time I find lowering the seatpost is unnecessary when folding this style of bike.
Old 04-01-11, 08:37 AM
brakemeister
New usename ThorUSA

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
even when folded. the Pletscher folds to one side, just like a regular kickstand. it is a little thicker but doesnt hang down like crazy either... you wont hit it if you pull the bike up a curb for example ....

thor
Old 04-01-11, 09:49 PM
folder fanatic
Banned.

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
even when folded. the Pletscher folds to one side, just like a regular kickstand. it is a little thicker but doesnt hang down like crazy either... you wont hit it if you pull the bike up a curb for example ....

thor
You are right on about that problem with this lower hanging kickstand. It does buy me time to save up for that more expensive Pletscher one eventually.
Old 04-01-11, 09:54 PM
folder fanatic
Banned.

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by PolishGuy
Folder fanatic, thanks for the info. I like the Dahon/Giant stand idea although I'm not sure how it will work with my R20 since it has the brazed-on factory kick-stand; but I will check into it. I'll also be looking into the links you've provided for the R20 mods. I plan to keep mine mostly stock but update a few items (isn't this how all the multi $100 to $1000.00 upgrades begin?) to make the bike more usefull to me. Alecw35's note on the "bash guard" might also be an option if the dual legged kick stand wont fit. I'm not too keen on JosephLMonti's rear wheel tire stand as the fender/Pletscher rack on mine would make this a cumbersome mod. I'll keep ya'll updated on what I do. Thx again, PG.
Since you live int the West San Fernado Valley-how about attending the upcoming Ciclavia with your new bike if it is ready? The last one in October gave me the opportunity to take my newly completed Raleigh Twenty out for a long ride along the route without worry about or fighting motor vehicle traffic. I concentrated solely on the joy of riding my own Raleigh Twenty to the max. More information on the fast approaching April 10, 2011 one: https://ciclavia.wordpress.com/
Old 04-01-11, 10:03 PM
CabezaShok

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by folder fanatic
Since you live int the West San Fernado Valley-how about attending the upcoming Ciclavia with your new bike if it is ready? The last one in October gave me the opportunity to take my newly completed Raleigh Twenty out for a long ride along the route without worry about or fighting motor vehicle traffic. I concentrated solely on the joy of riding my own Raleigh Twenty to the max. More information on the fast approaching April 10, 2011 one: https://ciclavia.wordpress.com/
So is the folder gang meeting at city hall just like last time? Im still saving up for a Brompton (cant find an R20) so ill be riding me vintage(to me) 90' Rockhopper commuter. Sorry to OP for hijack
Old 04-01-11, 11:16 PM
folder fanatic
Banned.

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by CabezaShok
So is the folder gang meeting at city hall just like last time? Im still saving up for a Brompton (cant find an R20) so ill be riding me vintage(to me) 90' Rockhopper commuter. Sorry to OP for hijack
I think he will understand as I wanted to alert him to the existence of the upcoming Ciclavia. I don't know if you are interested in this early Italian folder, but here it is: https://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv/bik/2290064623.html It is not quite a Twenty, but still might be something to help tide you over until you find something right on target (or finish saving for the Brompton). Then you will have 2 or more bikes. You never can have too many!

As for showing up at the next Ciclavia, do come anyway you can. It will be nice to meet all of you there. And check with the organizers of the various meetings and events before and during the Ciclavia at it's blog: https://ciclavia.wordpress.com/ It includes all the constantly updating list of activities and goings-on of the Ciclavia.

Last edited by folder fanatic; 04-02-11 at 12:03 AM.
Old 04-02-11, 10:43 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,359 Times in 865 Posts
consider one of these? https://www.click-stand.com/Home_Page.html
spec it long enough to reach under the nose of the saddle.. perhaps ..

I might have to get on for my BF PL.
Old 04-02-11, 10:51 AM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 131 Times in 98 Posts
The Pletscher is a great stand and is touring worthy... it is also very nice when you need to service your bike on the road.

They are worth the money and the only issue I have ever has with them is that people neglect to keep them clean and if they get really dirty they can get a little stiff.

A 20 will accept any conventional stand with a normal mount... a double legged stand will let you park it and fold it.
Old 04-05-11, 10:38 AM
PolishGuy

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Update- This past weekend I took the old Raleighs out for a few rides; both the DL1 and Sports were used to pick up grocery and bakery items I needed to make dinner for my folks Saturday night, the R20 just to ride it and check out the clearance for the kickstand. Lo and behold, the R20 has plenty of room for a stand to mount behind the bottom bracket area as noted in chucky's pic. The factory stand that I was concerned about is brazed to the bottom of the bottom bracket shell. I can punch out the retaining pin and remove the leg which will leave just an empty tube type shell which will be out of the way for a new stand. It's been a while since I've ridden the R20 and it's still a nippy fun bike to ride. So now I'm thinking of making the following changes: first, the new kickstand; replace the mattress saddle with a Brooks B72 that I have on hand; swap out the tires for maybe a nicer set of Schwalbe's, Continentals or ?; maybe change the grips to ergon types as the original DARE ones are uncomfortable after a few miles. Ciclavia would be fun to do however I live near the Santa Susanna Pass, not far from where the Metrolink crash happened. The ride start is approx 30-35 miles one way from where I live. Yes, I can take Metro which is an idea but I'm not sure if I want to schlep all that way to east of downtown for a bike ride; wish there was something like that here in the valley. Seems like the San Fernando Valley is again a forgotten entity. Oh well. PG.