Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Small hands & fast descents equal no fun for me right now, help!!

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-11, 07:04 PM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Liked 5,447 Times in 1,875 Posts

Alright all you experts. I'm working on my climbing this year and am tackling a 9 mile mile 8% mile climb a few times a week. But I find the descents to be a bit unsettling due to my handlebars, brifter size, and small hands.

Basically right now I'm just rotating the release on the brakes up to allow me to grab and partially squeeze the brifters all the way down without engaging the pads unless needed. But I still seem to have a poor grasp on the bar and the hands are quite uncomfortable after a few minutes of this.

Any ideas on steps to take?

I'm using Shimano 105 brifters are there other compatible ones with a shorter reach? Is there a bar shaped that will shorten the reach?

Here's a shot with the current bars.

Last edited by jamesdak; 04-02-11 at 07:21 PM.
Old 04-02-11, 07:14 PM
clink83

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Shimano makes a special 10 speed shifter set for people with small hands, and the 7900/6700/5700 shifters had shims you can adjust the reach with. You could also look into a womans bar, if you can find one wide enough. That could bring the brake levers closer for you.

I feel your pain though, I have large hands and can brake well from the drops, but have a really hard time shifting.
Old 04-02-11, 07:30 PM
kevrider

Bikes: way too many

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
if the problem is just lever reach, i don't think different bars wil help. the womans specific brifters should do it, though, if you're man enough to buy them. i'mn sure you can sell yours here to offset the cost.

but before you go there... it maybe be the perspective, but it looks to me like your brifters are set a little high on the bars. maybe if you can reposition them so that the hoods are level with the bartops. that might place the levers at a more downward angle, making them less distant. 6:00 instead of 5:30.
Old 04-02-11, 07:42 PM
ultraman6970

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Campagnolo or Sram
Old 04-02-11, 08:55 PM
johnny99

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Seems to me that moving the levers higher on the bars will make them harder to squeeze, not easier. Are you braking from the tops or from the drops? You get a lot more power and control when braking from the drops.
Old 04-02-11, 09:17 PM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Originally Posted by kevrider
if the problem is just lever reach, i don't think different bars wil help. the womans specific brifters should do it, though, if you're man enough to buy them. i'mn sure you can sell yours here to offset the cost.

but before you go there... it maybe be the perspective, but it looks to me like your brifters are set a little high on the bars. maybe if you can reposition them so that the hoods are level with the bartops. that might place the levers at a more downward angle, making them less distant. 6:00 instead of 5:30.
You may be on to something. They are a good bit higher than the ones on my other bike. The need retaping anyway and I need to learn how to do that.

It was great fun ripping down the mountain at 40 mph I'd just like to feel a little more in control.
Old 04-02-11, 09:43 PM
JTGraphics

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The easy cure for you are get some shims from Shimano or Specialized make them they will bring the lever in. I just made some to do the job but you can get them most LBS will have some and may just give you a set
Old 04-03-11, 04:11 AM
KoYak

Bikes: Iron Horse Warrior Expert, Dahon MU P8, Bacchetta Giro 26, HP Velotechnik Grasshopper

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by JTGraphics
The easy cure for you are get some shims from Shimano or Specialized make them they will bring the lever in. I just made some to do the job but you can get them most LBS will have some and may just give you a set
+1. Highly recommend. and it's a no brainer to install

+1. My hand are small, too. and this really helps.
Old 04-03-11, 08:55 AM
BarracksSi
Bike ≠ Car ≠ Ped.

Bikes: Some bikes. Hell, they're all the same, ain't they?

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by jamesdak
Basically right now I'm just rotating the release on the brakes up to allow me to grab and partially squeeze the brifters all the way down without engaging the pads unless needed.
What you're doing is basically adding shims without physically installing them.

What I mean is, you're bringing the levers closer (duh ) by adding travel to the brake calipers. If you install shims, you'll need to adjust the brake cables anyway so that the pads won't rub all the time.

Some people, probably including yourself, like to set their pads very close to the rim so they can get immediate braking response. Personally, I like to set them farther apart, but still with the ability to lock up completely just before the brake lever hits the bar. This way, I can curl my fingers around the brakes a little more to get more power, and there's less hair-trigger response so that modulation is easier.

Shims will work fine.
Old 04-03-11, 09:24 AM
eofelis 
The Rock Cycle

Bikes: Salsa Vaya Ti, Specialized Ruby, Gunnar Sport, Motobecane Fantom CXX, Jamis Dragon, Novara Randonee x2

Liked 16 Times in 6 Posts
It may be leaning in a fredly direction, but I have cross levers on my road bikes for another hand position for braking on long descents.
Novara Randonee x2
Motobecane Fantom CXX
Jamis Dakar XCR
Old 04-03-11, 09:36 AM
chadteck

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BarracksSi
What you're doing is basically adding shims without physically installing them.

What I mean is, you're bringing the levers closer (duh ) by adding travel to the brake calipers. If you install shims, you'll need to adjust the brake cables anyway so that the pads won't rub all the time.

Some people, probably including yourself, like to set their pads very close to the rim so they can get immediate braking response. Personally, I like to set them farther apart, but still with the ability to lock up completely just before the brake lever hits the bar. This way, I can curl my fingers around the brakes a little more to get more power, and there's less hair-trigger response so that modulation is easier.

Shims will work fine.
This, but I would also agree that your brifters need to come down on the bars some.

Another advantage to setting your brakes as described is that if your wheels gets moved for any reason, you're much less likely to have brake rub.
Old 04-03-11, 01:56 PM
hhnngg1

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by KoYak
+1. Highly recommend. and it's a no brainer to install

+1. My hand are small, too. and this really helps.
Linky to product please!
Old 04-03-11, 02:15 PM
blacksquid

Bikes: 2007 Pergoretti Marcelo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
To me, it looks like your bars should be rotated down so that the bottom part of the bars are pointing to the rear brake.
Old 04-03-11, 03:48 PM
clink83

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

The countour of the bar is changed on some womens bars, putting the brake closer to the drops. Sounds like part of the problem is hes braking from the hoods on downhills, which is easily changed by riding into the drops.

If the OP spends most of the time riding on the hoods and likes it, dropping them down isn't the best option, since it will increase the reach. Alot of people ride with the high hoods position these days..
Old 04-03-11, 04:28 PM
KoYak

Bikes: Iron Horse Warrior Expert, Dahon MU P8, Bacchetta Giro 26, HP Velotechnik Grasshopper

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I highly recommend these shims!

https://www.specialized.com/us/en/bc/...jsp?spid=57427

Not sure if you want to change your Handlebar, but a shallow drop bar such as the FSA Wing Pro Compact (https://www.fullspeedahead.com/produc...ng-Pro-Compact) also makes it easier to reach the brakes while in the drops.
Old 04-03-11, 05:40 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Liked 5,943 Times in 2,995 Posts
I have the same issue. I have my brifters set lower on the bar, about like KoYak's picture. I set the brakes loose and ride in the drops downhill. You have better control of the bike and you can generate more braking force without your hands getting tired on a long downhill. I normally ride on the hoods or the flats of the bar but move to the drops for steep or long downhills. Nice looking bike, btw.

Last edited by shelbyfv; 04-03-11 at 05:42 PM. Reason: more
Old 04-03-11, 05:57 PM
Altamont

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I agree. you gotta learn to be comfy descending while in the drops, you'll be able to pull on the lever from a more ergonomic hand postion.
Old 04-03-11, 06:44 PM
2manybikes

Bikes: 2 many

Liked 323 Times in 169 Posts
Terry may still sell the womans bar that is a little narrower in the right place for small hands.
Old 04-03-11, 07:06 PM
jamesdak 

Originally Posted by clink83
The countour of the bar is changed on some womens bars, putting the brake closer to the drops. Sounds like part of the problem is hes braking from the hoods on downhills, which is easily changed by riding into the drops.

If the OP spends most of the time riding on the hoods and likes it, dropping them down isn't the best option, since it will increase the reach. Alot of people ride with the high hoods position these days..
Actually I am in the drops on the way down. Tucking as much as I can for speed.

Looking at my main bike I can see that these brifters are a fair amount higher on the bar. I think a change of position is the first order of position. This is actually my smallest framed bike so stretching out a bit more will actually be welcomed.
Old 04-03-11, 07:07 PM
Nick Bain

Bikes: Caad8, Mukluk 3, Trek Superfly, Gary Fisher Irwin.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
+3 on repositioning what you have. I would have trouble reaching those without dislocating my lower back. Ride without tape and make adjustments.

Last edited by Nick Bain; 04-03-11 at 07:10 PM.
Old 04-03-11, 07:08 PM
jamesdak 

Originally Posted by KoYak
I highly recommend these shims!

https://www.specialized.com/us/en/bc/...jsp?spid=57427

Not sure if you want to change your Handlebar, but a shallow drop bar such as the FSA Wing Pro Compact (https://www.fullspeedahead.com/produc...ng-Pro-Compact) also makes it easier to reach the brakes while in the drops.
Yep, I've got those on my main bike. I just haven't sourced a set for the older brifters on the Circuit.
Old 04-03-11, 07:14 PM
jamesdak 

Ok, so I am going to move the brifters down, thanks all. But I do think a different set of handlebars is in order also. I did 50 miles today on my Trek and due to some serious winds I spent a lot of time in the drops. Those handle bars are more of a natural curve the drop is smaller, yet I was very comfortable in the drops despite the snow blowing sideways into my face and ears. Sure be glad when spring arrives for real.
Old 04-03-11, 08:22 PM
BarracksSi
Bike ≠ Car ≠ Ped.

Bikes: Some bikes. Hell, they're all the same, ain't they?

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by hhnngg1
Linky to product please!
My LBS once gave me a bagful of Shimano shims. They come included with many brifters, but the shop doesn't install them all the time.
Old 04-03-11, 08:26 PM
531phile 
I'm Carbon Curious

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Check out Salsa Poco bars since it is created for small handed folks. I got small hands myself and Poco bars with Tektro R100A(Not brifters, but for small hands) I can reach the brakes when I am on the drops though I still have to stretch a bit. But is actually feasible for me to apply the brakes on the drops!!! I wish there was a better solution. Good thread. Let's get more suggestions out there, small handed people.

SRAM brifters have built in reach adjusters, maybe a combo of SRAM and Salsa Poco bars. I may do this myself.

Is there any other alternative to Salsa Poco bars out there that small handed folks can reach the brakes when they are in the aero drop position.

I don't think only 15-20mm of shims will help you any. Maybe a combination of shims AND Salsa poco bars???

Just a word of warning though. The Salsa Poco has a reach of 70mm which is really short. Most bars are about 90-110mm so you may need to get a longer stem to compensate for this difference.

Last edited by 531phile; 04-03-11 at 08:33 PM.
Old 04-03-11, 08:30 PM
Silvercivic27

Bikes: Colnago, Cervelo, Scott

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
My lbs just installed a set of shims for my wife. She complained about reaching the brakes from the hoods and the drops.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.