Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Maintaining good form - do you think about it?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-11, 05:58 AM
horatio 
Hump, what hump?

Bikes: See signature

Liked 227 Times in 145 Posts

A recent thread on riding smoothly got me to thinking about form, specifically for climbing. I've noticed lately that after climbing (what little there is around these parts), my lower back is arched or bowed out.

This is potentially bad for me because I have a herniated disc at L5-S1, so I'm forcing myself to keep the lower back straighter (when I can remember - lol!), but I find this quite uncomfortable.

Biomechanics are obviously unique to the individual, but I was wondering if good riding form always requires concentration?

I'm also wondering if doing planks and other core-strengthening exercises would help in maintaining a flatter lower back.
2010 AB T1X ** 2010 Cannondale SIX-5 ** 1993 Cannondale RS900 ** 1988 Bottecchia Team Record ** 1989 Bianchi Brava ** 1988 Nishiki Olympic ** 1987 Centurion Ironman Expert(2) ** 1985 DeRosa Professional SLX ** 1982 Colnago Super ** 1982 Basso Gap ** 198? Ciocc Competition SL ** 19?? Roberts Audax ** 198? Brian Rourke ** 1982 Mercian Olympic ** 1970 Raleigh Professional MK I ** 1952 Raleigh Sports

Old 04-10-11, 06:17 AM
mvnsnd

Bikes: Factor O2, Caad10, Caad2

Liked 123 Times in 79 Posts
I also find that I have to remind myself to clean up my form while riding. Doing planks and core strengthening will help.
Old 04-10-11, 08:22 AM
Makel

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD 9, Specialized Transition, Specialized Fate, Specialized Crux

Liked 14 Times in 8 Posts
maintaing?

Swimming is good.
Old 04-10-11, 08:51 AM
Brian Ratliff

Bikes: Three road bikes. Two track bikes.

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Only when something starts hurting. A lot of back problems come from a lack of core strength.
"If you’re new enough [to racing] that you would ask such question, then i would hazard a guess that if you just made up a workout that sounded hard to do, and did it, you’d probably get faster." --the tiniest sprinter
Old 04-10-11, 08:59 AM
thedeadone
Banned.

Bikes: giant tcr 1 , harro mountain bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I find that when I consentrate on my form my speed increases slightly. Its wierd.
Old 04-10-11, 09:15 AM
hhnngg1

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I don't think it takes much core at all to stay smooth. Almost none, actually. You do have to get your back used to the hunched-over position on long rides, but that doesn't have to do with smoothness.

The best way to build smoothness, imo, is to buy a set of straightforward rollers (NOT the ones with the fancy e-motion float feature, which compensates for your lack of fluiditiy) and ride them regularly for awhile. It will become glaringly obvious where your nonsmooth areas are. When I first used rollers, I kept flying off the front due to a herky jerky acceleration - staying in the middle of the track has never been a problem. Also, you'll get used to using your weight to adjust on turns rather than jerking the handlebars - riding rollers is like riding on ice and any little handlebar turn gets a very exaggerated response, so you'll definitely know you're oversteering.

The difference I noticed most between my smooth roller accels and the jerkier one I was using before, was just being conscious of the way you accelerate. On the rollers, the upper body remains pretty much rock solid still as you accelerate, and the harder you accelerate, the more effort you spend staying still (ironically). Obviously, standing acclerations are very difficult but doable on the rollers. It's all technique - has very little to do with strength or endurance.
Old 04-10-11, 09:16 AM
Trouble
Sloth Hunter

Bikes: 03 Lemond Zurich (Sold) 07 Steelman Custom steel road bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by horatio
...I'm also wondering if doing planks and other core-strengthening exercises would help in maintaining a flatter lower back.
Position on the bike is what creates the flatter back. There is a great thread going around on lowering bars.

Originally Posted by thedeadone
I find that when I consentrate on my form my speed increases slightly. Its wierd.
If I start out slowly and ramp up, never going all out (except towards the end of the ride) my form and comfort are much better and I actually enjoy the ride more.
Old 04-10-11, 09:46 AM
Brian Ratliff

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by hhnngg1
I don't think it takes much core at all to stay smooth. Almost none, actually. You do have to get your back used to the hunched-over position on long rides, but that doesn't have to do with smoothness.
It's not about being smooth. It's about the OPs back becoming arched when pushing hard. This is due to a weak core.

The back should be more or less straight. That it starts arching is because the legs have overpowered the core and the spine is being used to counter the force on the pedals rather than the musculature of your core. It's like a fishing rod with a fish on the line. The rod bends way over because it isn't very stiff. Basically, instead of using the core musculature to keep your body rigid to transfer force from your arms to support the force from your legs, you are using your spine to do the same job, which will put a lot of pressure on your spine and give you back pain.
"If you’re new enough [to racing] that you would ask such question, then i would hazard a guess that if you just made up a workout that sounded hard to do, and did it, you’d probably get faster." --the tiniest sprinter
Old 04-10-11, 10:57 AM
Looigi

Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
Flatter more arched, ... I'm not sure whether my back is flat or arched but I have a position that works, and I found that for me, lower bars work better. The tops are 8.5 cm below my saddle. The flip side is it puts more stress on your hands and arms. I also agree that pedaling hard and pulling on the bars while doing it puts a lot of stress on the lower back. This might sound odd but I found that wiggling a bit as I pedal puts some motion into the lower back which helps. If you watch pros, especially during time trials, you'll see them do it too.
Old 04-10-11, 12:31 PM
horatio 
Hump, what hump?

Bikes: See signature

Liked 227 Times in 145 Posts
Originally Posted by Brian Ratliff
It's not about being smooth. It's about the OPs back becoming arched when pushing hard. This is due to a weak core.

The back should be more or less straight. That it starts arching is because the legs have overpowered the core and the spine is being used to counter the force on the pedals rather than the musculature of your core. It's like a fishing rod with a fish on the line. The rod bends way over because it isn't very stiff. Basically, instead of using the core musculature to keep your body rigid to transfer force from your arms to support the force from your legs, you are using your spine to do the same job, which will put a lot of pressure on your spine and give you back pain.
Brian, no pain so far, but I'd like to ride some real climbs this summer, so I need to address the core. Guess I'll start today.
2010 AB T1X ** 2010 Cannondale SIX-5 ** 1993 Cannondale RS900 ** 1988 Bottecchia Team Record ** 1989 Bianchi Brava ** 1988 Nishiki Olympic ** 1987 Centurion Ironman Expert(2) ** 1985 DeRosa Professional SLX ** 1982 Colnago Super ** 1982 Basso Gap ** 198? Ciocc Competition SL ** 19?? Roberts Audax ** 198? Brian Rourke ** 1982 Mercian Olympic ** 1970 Raleigh Professional MK I ** 1952 Raleigh Sports

Old 04-10-11, 03:41 PM
hhnngg1

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Not to be devil's advocate here, but I'm still not sure that sounds right? Reference for that?

My back hurts every time I get back on the bike for long rides after not doing them for awhile - but it doesn't seem to do with my core, at all. Actually, because I'm usually swimming pretty hard and lifting weights on top of that when I'm not on the bike a lot, my core is pretty strong when I'm getting back to the bike, but the back muscles still have a hard time those first 2-3 rides of 5+hrs.

Usually after that though, it's good to go. I'm not sure what kind of back workouts you're referring to that would help with that - I can deadlift 250+, but that doesn't help with a 5 hr bike position.
Old 04-10-11, 03:54 PM
8Lives

Bikes: Lemond Zurich

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not to be devil's advocate here, but I'm still not sure that sounds right? Reference for that?

My back hurts every time I get back on the bike for long rides after not doing them for awhile - but it doesn't seem to do with my core, at all. Actually, because I'm usually swimming pretty hard and lifting weights on top of that when I'm not on the bike a lot, my core is pretty strong when I'm getting back to the bike, but the back muscles still have a hard time those first 2-3 rides of 5+hrs.

Usually after that though, it's good to go. I'm not sure what kind of back workouts you're referring to that would help with that - I can deadlift 250+, but that doesn't help with a 5 hr bike position.
Not being sarcastic at all - but are you sure your core is really strong? I thought mine was (also tons of swimming) until I started seriously bouldering. And then I realized how weak it really was, despite swimming sit-ups etc. I have really concentrated on doing the right core stuff for a couple of years now. And it makes a huge difference, on the bike and everywhere else.

I think a good test is to hang from a pull-up bar (rings even better) and do 15-20 slow leg raises, pause at 90 degrees then release. If you can't do at least 15 then the good news is that you have a lot of room to get stronger.
Old 04-10-11, 04:30 PM
chado445510
Raising the bar

Bikes: 2007 Specialized Allez Double (sold), 2009 Kestrel RT 800

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 8Lives
I think a good test is to hang from a pull-up bar (rings even better) and do 15-20 slow leg raises, pause at 90 degrees then release. If you can't do at least 15 then the good news is that you have a lot of room to get stronger.
Since there is no hope of my doing this, I will say that my legs are too muscly and heavy to possibly lift them for that long.
Old 04-10-11, 04:48 PM
hhnngg1

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 8Lives
Not being sarcastic at all - but are you sure your core is really strong? I thought mine was (also tons of swimming) until I started seriously bouldering. And then I realized how weak it really was, despite swimming sit-ups etc. I have really concentrated on doing the right core stuff for a couple of years now. And it makes a huge difference, on the bike and everywhere else.

My core is strong. I can do 30 of the leg raises - not just up to 90 degrees, but all the way up to the bar (toes to fingertips.) My forearms actually wear out before my abs - with the grip assist straps, I can likely do more (but I don't like using them since my forearms need to beef up.)

I used to lift weights very seriously for most of my younger life. Now most of that lifting has been replaced by aerobic efforts, but I still put in good efforts. That leg lift exercise is also a key movement for martial arts training, which I also did a lot of back in my younger days, so that's another reason I'm very good at them. (I tried to learn an iron-cross, but the arms are the tough part!)

The deadlift, IMO, is a much better test of your bike-specific core, as it tests your back muscles, which are the ones in question when you're transferring power on the bike.
Old 04-10-11, 04:51 PM
Brian Ratliff

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

Your back shouldn't hurt. Ever. From biking or anything else. Your back muscles are built to support your spine when you are standing upright, not support external loads. This is why you are taught to lift from your legs. Your back muscles alone are not your core; the core is the whole system of muscles that work to keep your abdomen rigid so you can transfer load from your legs to your arms (which are holding onto something to keep your body steady).

One of the better workouts for your core is the plank position. Or you can add some upper body work to it and just do pushups.

Last edited by Brian Ratliff; 04-10-11 at 05:02 PM.
Old 04-10-11, 05:10 PM
climber7

Bikes: 2010 Jamis Xenith Comp

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
One of the better workouts for your core is the plank position. Or you can add some upper body work to it and just do pushups.
even better - both at once. do a plank for 60 seconds, go straight into 10 pushups, straight back to the plank. repeat a few times. one of my favorite core workouts. i usually do 3 minutes (3x plank/pushup rotation), rest for 3 minutes, and do another 3 minutes. start with less if you need to and build up to as much as you can do.

make sure you pay attention to your body position on the plank...keep your back straight and don't let your butt sag.
Old 04-10-11, 05:13 PM
8Lives

Bikes: Lemond Zurich

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My core is strong. I can do 30 of the leg raises - not just up to 90 degrees, but all the way up to the bar (toes to fingertips.) My forearms actually wear out before my abs - with the grip assist straps, I can likely do more (but I don't like using them since my forearms need to beef up.)

I used to lift weights very seriously for most of my younger life. Now most of that lifting has been replaced by aerobic efforts, but I still put in good efforts. That leg lift exercise is also a key movement for martial arts training, which I also did a lot of back in my younger days, so that's another reason I'm very good at them. (I tried to learn an iron-cross, but the arms are the tough part!)

The deadlift, IMO, is a much better test of your bike-specific core, as it tests your back muscles, which are the ones in question when you're transferring power on the bike.
Well, you probably don't have a core issue! I've been working (not that successfully) on an iron cross and a front lever (almost there). At 51 it doesn't come quickly but it does come with work. I don't lift weights, but rings are tons of fun...
Old 04-10-11, 05:33 PM
rat fink
Iconoclast

Bikes: Colnago Super, Fuji Opus III, Specialized Rockhopper, Specialized Sirrus (road)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by chado445510
Since there is no hope of my doing this, I will say that my legs are too muscly and heavy to possibly lift them for that long.
Nice save.
Old 04-10-11, 08:54 PM
CPcyclist

Bikes: Lemond Arrivee, Felt F1 Road, Tomac Revolver(full), GT race (hardtail)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I work on form during slower training rides just for that. Muscle memory is very important to this. With that said I am starting to work more on my core and am noticing more improvements. The OPs back issues are likely a combination of issues from core to position on the bike, have they thought about getting a fit done?
Old 04-10-11, 09:02 PM
Terex

Bikes: Specialized 6Fattie, Parlee Z5, Scott Addict

Liked 43 Times in 27 Posts
I always focus on form. When I ride in spin class over the winter, I sit at the front where I can observe myself in the mirror. I really try to minimize movement that wastes energy. Guys I ride with have told me that they really like to ride behind me because I'm so smooth. It didn't come naturally... When in full training mode, I try to do yogalates classes several times a week. The stronger my core, the smoother my riding. But I'm always thinking about it. That and breathing.
Old 04-10-11, 09:55 PM
hhnngg1

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Your back shouldn't hurt. Ever. From biking or anything else. Your back muscles are built to support your spine when you are standing upright, not support external loads. This is why you are taught to lift from your legs. Your back muscles alone are not your core; the core is the whole system of muscles that work to keep your abdomen rigid so you can transfer load from your legs to your arms (which are holding onto something to keep your body steady).

The notion of your back not hurting if you're going on your first long ride of the season (5+ hrs) doesn't sound right to me.

Even with a perfect bike fit, you'll be in a slightly forward angled position on a road bike. Not straight up ramrod straight. 5 hrs in that position, for the inexperienced, is going to be tough.

Try it on a TT bike, and it's really tough, even though amateur racers routinely use TT bikes for 112 mile triathlon bike legs and stay aero nearly the whole way. I can't imagine that a 'core strength' solution would remedy being in a TT position, even a slack one, for 6 hrs.

I'd also feel similarly doubtful by telling the local gym rat who benches tons of weights for hours on end, that he could get on a road bike for 5+ hours, and have no back pain because he's got great core strength. Highly unlikely.

On the other hand, you can get the most atrophic looking rider (Rasmussen?), get him used to at least sitting on a bike for 5 hrs at a time, and he'll have no back pain on those rides within weeks, if not days.
Old 04-10-11, 09:57 PM
colombo357

Liked 30 Times in 12 Posts
No, I have "normal" form by default.

Some people have very bad form, namely knees out like they're doing a penguin dance. Those guys really need to break that habit by actively thinking about their form (and getting a damn fitting).
Old 04-10-11, 09:59 PM
Brian Ratliff

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
The notion of your back not hurting if you're going on your first long ride of the season (5+ hrs) doesn't sound right to me.
Why is it that people insist that pain is okay? Fatigue, sure, but pain is unusual; it's your body's way of telling you something isn't right.