Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

do friends tell you that you cant ride when you ride to their house?

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-11, 11:22 AM
slipknot0129

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Im probably gonna be riding my bike to oklahoma city in my future.. Im at my cousins house he tells me to not walk accross the street at 4 am when there is hardly any traffic on the road.I wanted to walk to 7-eleven at 4 am because thats when theres the least traffic. There was hardly any traffic when I went with them the last time to walk accross the road to the 7-eleven. They dont even let me walk outside of the house. Being without a license sucks. Im staying at my cousins house in oklahoma city for a week or two.

Now I feel if I rode my bike up here they wouldnt let me ride back home.

Do you have any friends that wont let you ride back home because they think its too dangerous to ride? I feel its in my judgement to see what is too dangerous or not.

I dont have my bike up here but they probably wouldnt let me ride my bike anywhere if I got to their house. But they cant stop me. Im 22 years old. I live 70 miles from okc so I wont be riding up there for awhile.

My whole point in getting a bike was that bikes have every right that cars have.

I dont think walking would be dangerous,I see people in okc walking all the time.
Old 04-12-11, 11:24 AM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Liked 1,255 Times in 631 Posts
Get new friends.

Old 04-12-11, 11:29 AM
sggoodri

Bikes: 1983 Trek 500, 2002 Lemond Zurich, 2023 Litespeed Watia

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
When I was 22, I biked as my primary form of transportation, and would bike to visit friends who owned cars. They would usually volunteer to drive me home. Sometimes I accepted, particularly when I didn't bring lights with me, and accepting their offer would allow me to stay later, after sunset. (Later I learned to always bring lights with me if there was any chance of staying late, to save my friends the effort.)

If you drive your bike responsibly, following the normal rules of the road and using lights at night, you won't have much difficulty going wherever you want whenever you want. Your confidence will eventually cause your friends to stop trying to change your mind. Lastly, you're 22. Act like the adult you are, and do what you want.
Old 04-12-11, 11:45 AM
limeylew

Bikes: A 3-speed fixed, a single speed (freewheel), etc.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by slipknot0129
Im probably gonna be riding my bike to oklahoma city in my future.. Im at my cousins house he tells me to not walk accross the street at 4 am when there is hardly any traffic on the road.I wanted to walk to 7-eleven at 4 am because thats when theres the least traffic. There was hardly any traffic when I went with them the last time to walk accross the road to the 7-eleven. They dont even let me walk outside of the house. Being without a license sucks. Im staying at my cousins house in oklahoma city for a week or two.

Do you have any friends that wont let you ride back home because they think its too dangerous to ride? I feel its in my judgement to see what is too dangerous or not.

I dont have my bike up here but they probably wouldnt let me ride my bike anywhere if I got to their house. But they cant stop me. Im 22 years old. I live 70 miles from okc so I wont be riding up there for awhile.

My whole point in getting a bike was that bikes have every right that cars have.

I dont think walking would be dangerous,I see people in okc walking all the time.
You don't say if you are male or female but, if you are female, I would STRONGLY suggest that you don't ride, or walk, alone, in the dark and in unfamiliar places.

Other than that you have to realize the walking or cycling, ESPECIALLY in the dark, makes you VERY vulnerable, even if you have a companion.

It's YOUR life and I wish you a long and happy one.
Old 04-12-11, 11:53 AM
mikeybikes

Bikes: Tons

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 10 Wheels
Get new friends.
This.

My friends don't care how I get to their place, much like I don't care how they get to mine.
Old 04-12-11, 11:53 AM
mymojo

Bikes: '10 Specialized Allez, '09 Cervelo S1, '93 Trek T200 (tandem), Rocky Mountain Metro 30

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How is it that, at 22, they can tell you that you can't?
Old 04-12-11, 11:59 AM
slipknot0129

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mymojo
How is it that, at 22, they can tell you that you can't?
I dont know but today im gonna go out walking then if I think its safe enough to walk then I am. I havent been out of the house in a week so I got to get outside anyways.
Old 04-12-11, 12:28 PM
mulveyr 

Bikes: Specialized Diverge, Box Dog Pelican, 1991 Cannondale tandem

Liked 11 Times in 4 Posts
I dont know but today im gonna go out walking then if I think its safe enough to walk then I am. I havent been out of the house in a week so I got to get outside anyways.
You seem to be missing the point. You're an adult. You're the one who gets to decide when and how you travel. If you allow other people to do that to you, then you're not acting like an adult.
Old 04-12-11, 12:32 PM
contango 
2 Fat 2 Furious

Bikes: 2009 Specialized Rockhopper Comp Disc, 2009 Specialized Tricross Sport RIP

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

None of my friends have any right to let me, or not let me, get around wherever I want by whatever means I want.

If I rode somewhere and they offered me a ride back home I am free to accept or decline. Normally I'd decline, but if I'd stayed late and it was a long way home, or the weather was truly appalling, I might be thankful for a ride. Even then it's up to me whether I ride in the dark and bad conditions.

If your friends are playing the "won't let you ride" line then try not letting them drive because you think it's too dangerous. Just look at how many motorists are killed on the roads.
Old 04-12-11, 12:33 PM
crhilton

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Are you 16, don't you determine for yourself what you're going to do?

My friends don't tell me what to do...
Old 04-12-11, 12:58 PM
Digital_Cowboy

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock Mountain (Stolen); Giant Seek 2 (Stolen); Diamondback Ascent mid 1980 - 1997

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Have your cousins given yo any reason other than it would be "dangerous" to walk across the street at 0400? Or that riding your bike home would be dangerous? Have you been involved in any single vehicle crashes? What is their reasoning for saying that it's "too dangerous" to be out walking at 0400 or to be riding your bike?
Old 04-12-11, 01:13 PM
badrad

Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
good example of likely misinterpreting friends advice not to bike. the only statement they seem to make is caution not to go outside at 4am (which does sound like good advice). at 4am traffic accident would probably be the least of your problem. drive by shooting or some other assault is more likely.
but hey, you are free to travel parts unknown, and besides, what do your friends know from living in that neighborhood their lives.

this is interesting map - whereabouts would you be staying?
https://okccrime.com/crime-map

and besides, oklahoma city isn't even the city with the highest crime rate. It's down at position 50...
https://os.cqpress.com/citycrime/2010..._hightolow.pdf
Old 04-12-11, 02:01 PM
slipknot0129

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So I went out on my own. It took me a couple miles to walk all the way up there and back. I just made my own judgements when I thought it was safe to walk and it wasnt dangerous at all. At the crosswalks the walking signals didnt work so I made my own desicion when it was safe to walk. The person in the gas station said for me to do the same because the signs didnt work.

I won $6 on a $3 dollar scratch off ticket. I must have got rewarded for following my gut.

When I came back they were still asleep. So if I didnt go walk to where I wanted to go then it would have taken me longer for them to drive me. He said he didnt think I would make it when I came back.

This also helps me learn about the traffic for when im gonna ride my bicycle in okc.

No longer will I let anyone say what I can and cant do.

I met some cool people in the gas station too,im gonna go down there again then mingle with people.
Old 04-12-11, 02:20 PM
himespau 

Liked 3,014 Times in 1,855 Posts
Well that depends. If we're going somewhere fancy for dinner and cycling to their house would get me all sweaty, I'd listen if they told me to find a different means of transportation. If it makes sense, follow their advice. If it doesn't, don't.
Old 04-12-11, 10:52 PM
Camilo

Liked 1,294 Times in 824 Posts
This is one of the craziest topics I've read.
Old 04-12-11, 11:39 PM
ScottRock

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You could always wait until 5, when crime rates tend to drop off [pdf].
Old 04-13-11, 05:45 AM
jakub.ner

Bikes: 2 Xootr Swifts, Dahon Curve, Oxford Winter Beater.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Camilo
+1...
Old 04-13-11, 06:00 AM
ItsJustMe
Señior Member

Bikes: Windsor Fens, Giant Seek 0 (2014, Alfine 8 + discs)

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
What do you mean, "LET you"? You're 22, unless they're physically restraining you, tell them thanks for their concern but you're going out. If they ARE physically restraining you, look for your chance to escape captivity or call the cops.
Old 04-13-11, 06:05 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Liked 3,612 Times in 2,360 Posts
just cuz you have the right doesn't make the route a safe one for walking or cycling.

that said, non-cyclists are know for not understanding the world of cycling. use good judgment.
Old 04-13-11, 06:50 AM
irwin7638

Bikes: Sam, The Hunq and that Old Guy, Soma Buena Vista, Giant Talon 2, Brompton

Liked 109 Times in 49 Posts
Originally Posted by Camilo
Not me. For years people have been offering me rides or frantically asking if I'll"be ok out there." These people all know that I bike a lot, but are never faced with it. It's ok to dress up in spandex and ride around in a group for fun, but using a bike for transportation is just beyond most people's imagination. I was talking to a woman at the grocery one day, after walking out,I stopped at my bike by the door and started loading things. She just looked shocked and said "I had no idea! Do you need a ride?" Stick around awhile, things like that just keep happening. The idea of using a bike for transportation is just a totally foreign idea to people.

Marc
Old 04-13-11, 07:36 AM
chipcom 
Infamous Member

Bikes: Surly Big Dummy, Fuji World, 80ish Bianchi

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by ItsJustMe
What do you mean, "LET you"? You're 22, unless they're physically restraining you, tell them thanks for their concern but you're going out. If they ARE physically restraining you, look for your chance to escape captivity or call the cops.
I'm thinking that the OP may be a gal.
"Let us hope our weapons are never needed --but do not forget what the common people knew when they demanded the Bill of Rights: An armed citizenry is the first defense, the best defense, and the final defense against tyranny. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military, the hired servants of our rulers. Only the government -- and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws" - Edward Abbey
Old 04-13-11, 08:30 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
just me

+1
Old 04-13-11, 09:03 AM
sggoodri

Bikes: 1983 Trek 500, 2002 Lemond Zurich, 2023 Litespeed Watia

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by chipcom
I'm thinking that the OP may be a gal.
On another thread the OP talked about wanting to hunt from the roadside while on a bike. I know a few women who hunt. I know some women who bike. I know none that do both.

I think this is about emotional dependence/independence and failing to distinguish between advice and control. As someone who was financially and logistically independent at 17, this concept was alien to me until I saw it afflicting people well into their adulthood, even as late as their thirties and forties.
Old 04-13-11, 12:18 PM
kaimat
Who is Lance Armstrong?

Bikes: 2018 CAAD 12

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think the OP may have some issues with either physical or mental competency, and that is why the other people are telling her not to be walking miles away from home.
Old 04-13-11, 01:14 PM
Digital_Cowboy

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock Mountain (Stolen); Giant Seek 2 (Stolen); Diamondback Ascent mid 1980 - 1997

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by kaimat
I think the OP may have some issues with either physical or mental competency, and that is why the other people are telling her not to be walking miles away from home.
That may be the most likely and logical reason. But even if it's just a physical issue riding or walking "miles" away from home isn't really an issue. On the other hand if it is a mental competency issue that may be more relevant and a legitimate concern.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.