Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Woot! "Practice Run" Accmplished!

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-11, 04:41 PM
BlankTim

Bikes: 1981 Raleigh Super Record, 2012 A. Homer Hilsen

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

My employer has been encouraging us to come up with group fitness activities, one of them is a bike team. I joined them today for a ride. I was the only rider on an MTB, the other 4 were on roadies.

Anyway, I've been making plans to begin commuting, but I had some concerns about my overall health being up to the task. Today's ride took me from my planned starting point, past my end point. Basically, I made my commute today without even realizing it!
It was a hair over 10 miles, in an hour and 5 minutes. While I'm not sure I can make this ride everyday just yet, I think every other day should be do-able.

Here's the ride for today https://www.mapmyride.com/workout/45320184/
Old 05-07-11, 07:55 PM
adxdopefish
Commuter

Liked 5 Times in 1 Post
This is an awesome story. I like your employer for promoting events like this. That seems alien to me, and very cool.

It is funny when I tell people about the places that I ride to, and the kilometers I cover on the bike. We went to a coffee shop the other weekend and I invited some friends to come along, the caveat being that we are rocking up on bikes. It took some convincing, as initially they were far from interested. I guilted them into it though, asking why they owned these magnificent machines if they never planned on putting them to any use.

They were all surprised at how easy it was once we got there. No complaints whatsoever. In saying that, I am yet to get them to do it again, but I'll keep trying.

I hope you keep it up BlankTim, you'll be doing it every day in no time!
Old 05-07-11, 08:33 PM
FunkyStickman
On a Mission from God

Bikes: '10 Surly LHT, Rat-rod Klunker, '82 Peugeot PH12 Centennial

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Totally doable. You're practically there! I do about 10 miles each way 3-4 times a week.
Old 05-07-11, 08:58 PM
McTrey
That Guy

Bikes: Trek 3700

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Good for you. I found when I first started I had to work my way into commuting by bike every day. After a while, I was able to cut time off the commute and it was easier to do as well.

Enjoy riding in, especially during the spring and summer months. It's a great way to start off the day.
Old 05-07-11, 10:52 PM
jsdavis

Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
Start out with once or twice a week and then work from there.

My commute is right around 3 mi and even then I had to start with twice a week and work my way up to every day. Although 3 mi might seem short, 15-18% grades are still kicking my butt every day even though I started a couple months ago. I still have to climb that hill in 26-32 gear combination.