Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

new bikes sold at MSRP?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

new bikes sold at MSRP?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-11, 10:02 PM
achu717

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
new bikes sold at MSRP?

Are all current year 2011 brand name bikes sold at MSRP or are there any room to haggle below MSRP? Does buying a new bike works like buying a new car where lbs would give a great deal in price to attract business? Specifically, I am looking to buy a new 2011 Cervelo R3. I am in SF bay area. It appears to me that all Cervelo dealers/lbs are firm on the MSRP prices and would only give 15% discount on other accessories in the lbs for up to 6 months after the purchase. If new bikes are sold at MSRP, how do lbs compete with each other?
Old 05-10-11, 10:03 PM
Velo Gator

Bikes: Cervélo S2

Liked 21 Times in 11 Posts
You can haggle.
Old 05-10-11, 10:17 PM
kj5423
training for ragbrai

Bikes: Giant Defy 3 Road (2010), Specialized Rockhopper Comp 29er MTB (2011)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
did you haggle when you went to the home depot and purchased that john deere riding lawn mower?

that would have been weird.

local bike shops are not garage sales. they have prices on the bikes because that is the price of the bicycle.

that is just my opinion though.

or maybe im just too much of a wimp to try to negotiate with these guys.
Old 05-10-11, 10:34 PM
achu717

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
good point. I dont haggle at Home Depot because their sales staff does not work on commission. That said, I would wait for that item goes on sale at HomeDepot which it happens from time to time. I haggle when I buy a new car with the salesman who works on commission.
Old 05-10-11, 10:38 PM
Velo Gator

Originally Posted by achu717
good point.
Not really.
Old 05-10-11, 10:40 PM
Beaker
moth -----> flame

Bikes: 11 CAAD 10-4, 07 Specialized Roubaix Comp, 98 Peugeot Horizon

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
The standard response is that the LBS has a much lower markup on the bike compared to accessories - hence you'll almost always get a better deal on equipment you buy with the bike. Having said that, buying unused last years model can be a great way to get a deal.
Old 05-10-11, 10:42 PM
kj5423
training for ragbrai

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Velo Gator
Not really.
good point.
Old 05-10-11, 10:44 PM
Velo Gator

Originally Posted by kj5423
good point.
Correct.
Old 05-10-11, 10:45 PM
twobadfish
Riding

Bikes: Motobecane Fantom Cross Pro; Motobecane Nemesis Pro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Velo Gator
Not really.

It's not a good point because

1) You COULD negotiate a discount - as those salesman do usually work on commission for appliances/lawnmowers/tractors/etc.
2) Home Depot's business model is entirely different from a bike shop's business model.

A bike shop doesn't normally make a lot of profit from bike sales. Their money comes from accessories/upgrades/maintenance(labor). Negotiating prices in American retail stores seems like an absolutely foreign concept to so many people but there really isn't anything to be afraid of. When I bought my washer and dryer I convinced the salesman that I could pay cash that day if I could get $200 knocked off the price. You just have to know how to talk to people. Worst they can say is no and you try the next place.
Old 05-10-11, 10:55 PM
shopgirl

Bikes: a heavy old steel Frankenbike Gitane, a cruiser (not something I'd buy for myself, but it was a gift, what can you do?), a Greg Lemond, a Specialized Stumpjumper(old, steel, fully rigid), and a Specialized Safire

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
NOT all shop employees work on commission. I don't, and I know of at least two other shops in the area where the salespeople don't get commissions or bonuses. I make the same amount whether I sell a cruiser or a $3000 road bike. I like selling people bikes that they're excited about, but I usually don't give out discounts, and I'm even less inclined if they're pushing me to give them one. Generally, the only time I'll give someone an extra discount is if they DON'T act like they're entitled to one. Frankly, it's really annoying that those customers want to risk my job so they can save $40. If you want it on sale, you can wait for the sale. It's not like buying a car.
/rant end
Old 05-10-11, 10:58 PM
bahamut

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I love that you started this thread I was just looking for tips on negotiating for a new bike. As I'm narrowing down my purchase I'm stuck with finding a shop that'll do 10% off of my $2000 purchase or wait till the new models come out in august (?). I couldn't care less about accessories, that stuff is easy to buy online.
Old 05-10-11, 10:59 PM
Velo Gator

I went in and asked, what is the best price you can give me? Got 8% off, done, deal.
Old 05-10-11, 11:06 PM
kj5423
training for ragbrai

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
well lets not get hung up on home depot here.

all im saying is that they are both legit businesses of employees and owners trying to make a living. not some ladies joining forces to sell all the old baby clothes in their garages.

as you all know, bike shops dont make hardly any money on bike sales. so what happens when someone bikes a shop in the store (edit: i have no idea why i just said that. buys a bike in their store. there.), but can get better prices on accessories online?

in my opinion a bike shop should make some money on a bike sale. wait did you say 8%?? hmmm
twobadfish
Riding

Bikes: Motobecane Fantom Cross Pro; Motobecane Nemesis Pro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by shopgirl
NOT all shop employees work on commission. I don't, and I know of at least two other shops in the area where the salespeople don't get commissions or bonuses. I make the same amount whether I sell a cruiser or a $3000 road bike. I like selling people bikes that they're excited about, but I usually don't give out discounts, and I'm even less inclined if they're pushing me to give them one. Generally, the only time I'll give someone an extra discount is if they DON'T act like they're entitled to one. Frankly, it's really annoying that those customers want to risk my job so they can save $40. If you want it on sale, you can wait for the sale. It's not like buying a car.
/rant end
I don't think anyone in this thread alluded the the fact that shop workers make commission on bikes sold.

If you or your shop can't come down on the price, that's cool. Be polite and let the customer know. Getting offended for someone looking for a better deal is just wasted energy.
johnny99

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Several local bike shops give 10% discounts on all purchases (including new bikes) to members of local bicycle clubs or teams. If you don't already belong to a local club (dues are $25 or so), this is a real good time to do so.
Old 05-10-11, 11:19 PM
kj5423
training for ragbrai

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
and honestly, if you are someone who can afford to throw down $3,000 on a bicycle, then getting a "deal" for $2,900 is the least of your worries. if you need that extra $100 so bad, maybe you shouldnt be spending 3k on a bicycle. theres a difference between asking for a better deal because you feel the price is a little high, and asking for a better deal because you are just a jerk who has to feel like they "came out on top" all the time. asking for a better price for the sake of asking for a better price isnt the way to go
Old 05-10-11, 11:24 PM
pgjackson

Bikes: Rossetti Vertigo

Liked 119 Times in 70 Posts
They might not be willing to haggle on price, but if you are patient you will soon find those $1300 bikes on sale for $1000. Performance Bike has more sales than any other store I have ever seen.
Old 05-10-11, 11:27 PM
fishymamba

Bikes: CAAD9-6, 13' Dawes Haymaker 1500

Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
My dad haggled my bike's price down over $100. And the employees always give a couple bucks off accessories since I bought my bike from them! I also got 1 year free tune ups which is also very nice!
Old 05-10-11, 11:28 PM
pgjackson

Bikes: Rossetti Vertigo

Liked 119 Times in 70 Posts
and honestly, if you are someone who can afford to throw down $3,000 on a bicycle, then getting a "deal" for $2,900 is the least of your worries. if you need that extra $100 so bad, maybe you shouldnt be spending 3k on a bicycle. theres a difference between asking for a better deal because you feel the price is a little high, and asking for a better deal because you are just a jerk who has to feel like they "came out on top" all the time. asking for a better price for the sake of asking for a better price isnt the way to go
The wealthy don't get wealthy and stay wealthy by throwing money away. If it's possible to negotiate a better price, then you should. The store provides the service...the customer owes the store nothing. If you are looking to spend $3000 on a bike and the shop won't budge at all on the price...find another shop. Sometimes, in business, a small concession to a customer to make him feel better will seal the deal and earn a customer for life. Remember, the customer is the guy with the money to spend.
Old 05-10-11, 11:39 PM
ilovecycling

Bikes: LOOK 595 & Cannondale CAAD9

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I bought a 2011 Cervelo R3 from Conte's in Arlington, VA and they were willing to take off sales tax. Well actually they took 5% off the price of the bike and then rang it up with a normal 5% sales tax. It actually came out to a few bucks less than $3200, which means I technically paid less than MSRP out the door.
I disagree. As consumers in a highly competitive market, we can go to any dealer we want and decide whether or not to give them our business. It's a matter of principle, not coming out on top. Getting a little discount isn't about the money saved as much as it is testing whether or not the bike shop is going to be on your side when it comes down to it.

When I receive a discount it shows my business was appreciated regardless of how much money they did or didn't make. As a result, I will do repeat business with them. They might lose $100 up front, but they'll make it back and then some over the next several years. This is just how it is.
Old 05-10-11, 11:47 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Liked 1,265 Times in 718 Posts
Originally Posted by achu717
That said, I would wait for that item goes on sale...
There's the key. 2011 bikes will become outdated and go on sale around June or July, making room for the new models, just like cars. I bought my 2010 Allez for about 20% off in late July. If you're patient, wait until then. Of course, you're risking the model and size you want not being available, but that's how it works.

Oh, and I worked at 3 different Home Depot locations over 5 years. Not a single employee works on commission there, not even the custom cabinets designers. The managers do get bonuses based on overall sales, but everybody else is on a simple hourly rate.
Old 05-11-11, 12:04 AM
UNLTD1487

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ilovecycling
I bought a 2011 Cervelo R3 from Conte's in Arlington, VA and they were willing to take off sales tax. Well actually they took 5% off the price of the bike and then rang it up with a normal 5% sales tax. It actually came out to a few bucks less than $3200, which means I technically paid less than MSRP out the door.
I disagree. As consumers in a highly competitive market, we can go to any dealer we want and decide whether or not to give them our business. It's a matter of principle, not coming out on top. Getting a little discount isn't about the money saved as much as it is testing whether or not the bike shop is going to be on your side when it comes down to it.

When I receive a discount it shows my business was appreciated regardless of how much money they did or didn't make. As a result, I will do repeat business with them. They might lose $100 up front, but they'll make it back and then some over the next several years. This is just how it is.
You got it. I can't explain any better.
Old 05-11-11, 12:17 AM
FlatSix911

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by shopgirl
/rant end
You should consider another line of work ... you will not last in sales
Old 05-11-11, 12:20 AM
FlatSix911

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
and honestly, if you are someone who can afford to throw down $3,000 on a bicycle, then getting a "deal" for $2,900 is the least of your worries. if you need that extra $100 so bad, maybe you shouldn't be spending 3k on a bicycle. theres a difference between asking for a better deal because you feel the price is a little high, and asking for a better deal because you are just a jerk who has to feel like they "came out on top" all the time. asking for a better price for the sake of asking for a better price isn't the way to go
Incorrect ... the wealthy negotiate far more frequently than most people ...
Old 05-11-11, 12:46 AM
shopgirl

Bikes: a heavy old steel Frankenbike Gitane, a cruiser (not something I'd buy for myself, but it was a gift, what can you do?), a Greg Lemond, a Specialized Stumpjumper(old, steel, fully rigid), and a Specialized Safire

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by FlatSix911
You should consider another line of work ... you will not last in sales
Well, I've been at this job 2+ years already. Suffice it to say that I'm also actually really good at it. I'm just saying, it gets tiresome, and some people are just rude about it. I'm not saying I NEVER give out discounts, but I won't do it for no reason, or just because someone asks.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.