Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

How often do you replace your chain?

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)
View Poll Results: Miles of Use
0-499 miles
2.86%
500-999 miles
11.43%
1000-1999 miles
28.57%
2000-3999 miles
25.71%
4000+ miles
31.43%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-11, 12:33 PM
sjmartin

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Vote
Old 06-01-11, 12:35 PM
dsprehe89

Bikes: 2013 Stumpjumper HT

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
When it breaks or starts causing issues such as jumping off of cogs.
Old 06-01-11, 12:53 PM
sjmartin

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So basically you wait until it's too late.
Old 06-01-11, 01:04 PM
TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer

Bikes: 32 frames + 80 wheels

Liked 795 Times in 451 Posts
When it exceeds the stretch limit indicated by Park Tool CC-3. I check at least 4 different sections of chain, since they can stretch unevenly. Chain life varies widely depending on usage and quality. I've gotten over 5000 miles on road chains on geared bikes and only 500 miles on my cross bike.

Originally Posted by Dcv
I'd like to think i have as much money as brains.
I see the light at the end of the tunnel, but the tunnel keeps getting longer - me
Old 06-01-11, 01:12 PM
sjmartin

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What are you using for your track bike? What has been the best in your experience (not in regards to price).
Old 06-01-11, 01:13 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Liked 8,551 Times in 4,559 Posts
I try to replace before it measures 12 1/8" pin-to-pin under tension. I don't keep a good enough mileage log to vote, though.
Old 06-01-11, 01:14 PM
sjmartin

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just hit the 2000 mile mark and measured my chain with a ruler. Seems to be off by 1.5/16". Trying to find my next replacement.
Old 06-01-11, 01:15 PM
sjmartin

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ah, I guess not many people have computers on their SS/FG bikes. I put one on all my bikes.
Old 06-01-11, 01:31 PM
ianjk
:)

Bikes: '07 Pista, '09 Fantom Cross Uno, '8? Miyata, '67 Stingray, '0? Zoo mod trials, Tallbike, Chopper, '73 Schwinn Collegiate, '67 Triumph Chopper, '69 CB350, '58 BSA Spitfire, '73 CB450

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
New chain before winter and after spring.
Old 06-01-11, 01:39 PM
TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer

Originally Posted by sjmartin
What are you using for your track bike? What has been the best in your experience (not in regards to price).
I currently have an Izumi ESH on my Pista Concept, which was the cheapest njs chain at the time, but has been discontinued. I've only used it for one season on the track, so I can't speak to durability, however, it is very smooth running. I has a screw and nut type master link, that is an njs requirement. Prior to that it had the stock KHS chain, that was badly worn after 3 seasons. I suspect a good cheaper chain like a SRAM PC-7X or regular non-njs Izumi would work just fine, but I figure with all the money I spend on racing, what's a few more bucks on a chain.

Originally Posted by Dcv
I see the light at the end of the tunnel, but the tunnel keeps getting longer - me
Old 06-01-11, 02:17 PM
sjmartin

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What are your thoughts on the screw on master link? Does it work well for you? Are you continually tightening every week? Any downfalls to that type of masterlink? Could I not use a master link at all?
Old 06-01-11, 02:51 PM
dbwoi

Bikes: Peugeot U0-8 (Stolen), Motobecane Grand Record, 80's Diamondback BMX, Peugeot Monaco

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
No idea how many miles I ride, never checked my chain for wear. I've been riding the same chain everyday for about 8 months now, maybe I should take a look.
Old 06-01-11, 02:51 PM
TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer

Originally Posted by sjmartin
What are your thoughts on the screw on master link? Does it work well for you? Are you continually tightening every week? Any downfalls to that type of masterlink? Could I not use a master link at all?
The link is a bit of a hassle to install, since you have to tighten the nut at the back, while holding the screw secure at the front. The way it works is the screw is first threaded into the rear link plate until the shoulder on the screw is stopped against the inside of the rear link plate. The nut is then threaded onto the screw threads protruding outside the link plate. Once installed properly, it will not get loose or require retightening. Of course, you can just remove the inner + outer link set and replace it with a conventional link that is assembled with a chain tool. If you don't plan on frequent chain removal and installation, then a non-master link setup makes more sense.

Originally Posted by Dcv
Old 06-01-11, 03:23 PM
hwdxbassist

Bikes: Affinity Lo Pro-madison(RIP)-specialzed bmx-

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
never ive had my sram pc-1 chain for 8 months and countless miles...il get it checked today at the lbs..i take care of it and it runs super smooth so il replace it when it breaks

hahahahhaa

ftw
Old 06-01-11, 03:27 PM
Leukybear 
THE STUFFED

Bikes: R. Sachs Road; EAI Bareknuckle; S-Works Enduro

Liked 20 Times in 17 Posts
All these people who say they'll wait for the chain to break usually end up breaking more than just the chain... Darwin awards all around!!!

I do what TT does but with the park CC - 2
Old 06-01-11, 03:33 PM
cinemattic
Business Man

Bikes: Cannondale Supersix Evo Hi-Mod, Soma Rush

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Leukybear
All these people who say they'll wait for the chain to break usually end up breaking more than just the chain... Darwin awards all around!!!

I do what TT does but with the park CC - 2
that's true. i had a cheap KMC 400 series chain and that thing popped after 3 months of riding. bent 2 spokes in my back wheel and had to have my lady pick me up. that was a little hit on the ego for a night/day

but i'm slowly starting to up my tools. a chain measure will be soon, after some bb tools..
Old 06-01-11, 03:42 PM
tFUnK

Bikes: Too many bikes, too little time to ride

Liked 555 Times in 381 Posts
On the geared bikes I only replace if I notice detrimental shifting. I'm a bit more cautious with the narrow 10sp stuff since I've seen a few of those snap during rides. But on the ssfg bikes I don't see the need to regularly replace. I've never seen a chain fall or snap on a ssfg under normal use.
Old 06-01-11, 03:42 PM
dsprehe89

Bikes: 2013 Stumpjumper HT

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Leukybear
I've broke 3 chains over the past 12 years on my Dyno Zone and have only ever had to replace my tires, tubes, and chains and never had a broken bone in my life. Been in plenty of crashes (usually from trying to do a jump that is just to far/high for me), but never had a crash or major failure from a chain. You can usually tell if your chain is to the point of breaking and any time I am getting ready to do major riding such as a 20-30 trail ride on either a BMX or MTB I do a basic check, but other than that, I ride it till it goes and so far has never failed me. Granted, I've just started riding on my first ever road bike this week and that may change things going at higher speeds.
Old 06-01-11, 04:05 PM
Leukybear 
THE STUFFED

Bikes: R. Sachs Road; EAI Bareknuckle; S-Works Enduro

Liked 20 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by dsprehe89
I've broke 3 chains over the past 12 years on my Dyno Zone and have only ever had to replace my tires, tubes, and chains and never had a broken bone in my life. Been in plenty of crashes (usually from trying to do a jump that is just to far/high for me), but never had a crash or major failure from a chain. You can usually tell if your chain is to the point of breaking and any time I am getting ready to do major riding such as a 20-30 trail ride on either a BMX or MTB I do a basic check, but other than that, I ride it till it goes and so far has never failed me. Granted, I've just started riding on my first ever road bike this week and that may change things going at higher speeds.
But are you running a brake? I was more specifically directing this toward the brakeless crowd. Think car disc brake but no rotor, all you have is the caliper....

EDIT: I just realized that's a BMX bike.... lol that's a joke for riding brakeless no offense compared to a 700C bike; unmounting and just using your feet to foot brake without wrecking is so much easier.

Last edited by Leukybear; 06-01-11 at 04:09 PM.
Old 06-01-11, 05:07 PM
Xgecko
old legs

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I usually replace mine about once a year regardless of whether is needs to be replaced....safer that way
Old 06-01-11, 08:05 PM
hairnet
Fresh Garbage

Bikes: N+1

Liked 28 Times in 19 Posts
I have a bad habit of not lubing my FG's chain as often as I should,
Old 06-01-11, 08:42 PM
erpdat

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
been riding my izumi chain for 2 years. still going strong.
Old 06-01-11, 08:43 PM
Sherblock

Bikes: '14 Kona Rove, '06 Bob Jackson

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by hairnet
I have a bad habit of not lubing my FG's chain as often as I should,
I went for pretty much the entire winter But so far, so good!
Old 06-01-11, 08:58 PM
erpdat

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Shiiiit. I lube mine once a week and clean the whole drivetrain with simple green bi-monthly.
Old 06-01-11, 09:49 PM
foofighter29er

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i would hate to have the chain snap on me when i'm out of the saddle trying to get over a steep pitch...that would be bad

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.