Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Help with first bike... good deal?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-11, 09:49 AM
BikeNewb77

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

https://bham.craigslist.org/bik/2443300312.html

I went to bikepedia and looked it up and this looks like a 2003. If it is a 2003 then I know this is way too much to ask for. What would be a good price for this. I was reading old forums and people in 2007 were saying they would pay $450 haha so i dont know now that its 2011.
Old 06-16-11, 10:44 AM
canyoneagle

Bikes: Vassago Moosknuckle Ti 29+ XTR, 90's Merckx Corsa-01 9sp Record, PROJECT: 1954 Frejus SuperCorsa

Liked 157 Times in 75 Posts
It is a nice bike, for sure. The 105 components are good quality.

However, $550 is too much IMO. I'd say $350-$400 would be reasonable if the bike is in really good shape. The lack of actual photos is odd - see if you can look at the bike in person to assess condition. It is an 8 year old bike, was a $1,200 bike when new. The only way this bike might be worth the asking price is if it is mint or unridden (NOS).

All of this is moot if the bike is not the right size for you. The ad does not stipulate the size (the entire ad is nothing more than catalog data), so contact the seller to see what the size is, the condition, and the flexibility on price.
In my view, if the price is inflexible, it is a deal killer.

To assess fit, this website provides a good system for getting your key measurements to get a better feel for sizing.
Bear in mind that the nominal "frame size" (i.e. 55cm) loses its direct applicability as you begin to look at more modern bikes with "compact" geometry (sloping top tube is a visual clue to this type of geometry). The "effective top tube" dimension is a more applicable size to focus on, and as long as the "standover" height does not exceed a comfortable limit, you'll be fine.

Last edited by canyoneagle; 06-16-11 at 10:48 AM.
Old 06-16-11, 10:52 AM
BikeNewb77

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by canyoneagle
It is a nice bike, for sure. The 105 components are good quality.

However, $550 is too much IMO. I'd say $350-$400 would be reasonable if the bike is in really good shape. The lack of actual photos is odd - see if you can look at the bike in person to assess condition. It is an 8 year old bike, was a $1,200 bike when new. The only way this bike might be worth the asking price is if it is mint or unridden (NOS).

All of this is moot if the bike is not the right size for you. The ad does not stipulate the size (the entire ad is nothing more than catalog data), so contact the seller to see what the size is, the condition, and the flexibility on price.
In my view, if the price is inflexible, it is a deal killer.

To assess fit, this website provides a good system for getting your key measurements to get a better feel for sizing.
Bear in mind that the nominal "frame size" (i.e. 55cm) loses its direct applicability as you begin to look at more modern bikes with "compact" geometry (sloping top tube is a visual clue to this type of geometry). The "effective top tube" dimension is a more applicable size to focus on, and as long as the "standover" height does not exceed a comfortable limit, you'll be fine.
Thanks. I sent him an e-mail earlier asking about the size, condition, and pictures of the actual bike. I too felt like $350 would be a good price if it was in really good condition I just hope he isnt stuck on the price. I also wanted to make sure i wasnt being a cheap-o for thinking it was too high
Old 06-16-11, 10:57 AM
canyoneagle

Bikes: Vassago Moosknuckle Ti 29+ XTR, 90's Merckx Corsa-01 9sp Record, PROJECT: 1954 Frejus SuperCorsa

Liked 157 Times in 75 Posts
Originally Posted by BikeNewb77
Thanks. I sent him an e-mail earlier asking about the size, condition, and pictures of the actual bike. I too felt like $350 would be a good price if it was in really good condition I just hope he isnt stuck on the price. I also wanted to make sure i wasnt being a cheap-o for thinking it was too high
It's a grey area for sure. Cannondale makes bicycles of very consistent quality, and that bike was a solid mid-level bike in its day.
If the guy has not ridden it much and the photos seem to back that up, it could be a good value at $400 ish.

That said, for $500-700 these days you can get something newer with the next generation of components, so just know that if this one does not work out, there will be others.

Oh - it is helpful to have someone help you with the measurements, if you decide to measure yourself up.
Old 06-16-11, 11:02 AM
BikeNewb77

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ya i was looking at that and it seemed rather hard to be a do-it-yourself type job haha. I wanted a 2010 trek which i could get for $500-550 but everyone said the components were not very good on it so i ws looking at bikes with better components. I just want to hurry up and get one so i can ride!

here is the trek.

https://montgomery.craigslist.org/bik/2440301912.html