Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Brifters for small hands?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-11, 08:36 AM
Rhodabike

Bikes: Reynolds 531P road bike, Rocky Mountain Metropolis, Rocky Mountain Sherpa 10, Look 566

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this question, but here goes.
Last summer in the Pyrennees I rented a road bike that had Campagnolo brifters and liked the way they fit and worked. Unfortunately the bike itself was too small so I took it back and got another, this time with Shimano Sora. My hands and forearms were aching like crazy by the time I returned the bike a few days later. The brake levers were huge and it seemed like I had to go through this huge range of motion to shift gears.
Now I have a new touring bike that came with Sora brifters. Same problem - too much range of motion and too big, so I swapped out for Dura Ace bar end shifters. They work really well, but I occasionally wonder if the brifters that I like on that first rental bike would work with my Shimano 9 speed system. Changing the whole cassette/derailleur/shifter setup would be a bit out of my budget.
Old 06-18-11, 08:42 AM
PatW

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I would think that Campy would make short reach shifters. I know that Shimano does. Short reach shifters are for people with smaller hands.
Old 06-18-11, 08:48 AM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1355 Post(s)
Liked 1,251 Times in 627 Posts
Originally Posted by Rhodabike
I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this question, but here goes.
Last summer in the Pyrennees I rented a road bike that had Campagnolo brifters and liked the way they fit and worked. Unfortunately the bike itself was too small so I took it back and got another, this time with Shimano Sora. My hands and forearms were aching like crazy by the time I returned the bike a few days later. The brake levers were huge and it seemed like I had to go through this huge range of motion to shift gears.
Now I have a new touring bike that came with Sora brifters. Same problem - too much range of motion and too big, so I swapped out for Dura Ace bar end shifters. They work really well, but I occasionally wonder if the brifters that I like on that first rental bike would work with my Shimano 9 speed system. Changing the whole cassette/derailleur/shifter setup would be a bit out of my budget.
https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...or-small-hands

Old 06-18-11, 03:17 PM
Nermal

Bikes: Giant Cypress SX

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
Thanks, 10 Wheels. Good link.

I don't know if it's a useful observation, but I had a big problem getting a good reach on the brake levers, except when using the drops. Finally, we went to a moustache bar and the horizontal arrangement of the levers totally solved the problem. Suddenly, my hands were big enough. This was on the touring bike. Someone else might not care for it on a straight up road bike. Anyway, it was definately cheaper than changing brifters.