Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Recumbent
Reload this Page >

Trikes - How Practical?

Search
Notices
Recumbent What IS that thing?! Recumbents may be odd looking, but they have many advantages over a "wedgie" bicycle. Discuss the in's and out's recumbent lifestyle in the recumbent forum.

Trikes - How Practical?

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-04, 05:05 PM
Steveal

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Trikes - How Practical?

A typical journey I make on my DF is to ride into the local town, park the bike and spend an hour in the library.
How does that translate with a trike? Can you tie them to a lamppost and leave them?
How do you leave yours when shopping, etc?

Steve
Old 11-10-04, 05:46 PM
beowoulfe
Honorable Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I run my cable lock through the front chain ring and around a pole. Wouldn't last long in New York, but it works just fine down here. Funny,,,,I tie mine up to the library here for an hour also. Takes a while to browse the CD's.
Old 11-10-04, 08:21 PM
BigAlMN

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Let me extend the intent of the above question?

I am wanting to get in a 'bent' and am leaning toward a trike. Looking for some of that additional relaxed ride. But I will be using it to commute between home and work a couple times per week as the weather permits. {I am in MN so there are some months that will prevent that.} That is about 22 miles one way.

I have seen several comments about being seen by the traffic so won't re-ask that question.

There are several people that speak highly about CarTrike? What about GreenSpeed - is that an overpriced version of the same thing?

I have reviewed a lot of web sites to learn what is available. Does anyone buy a trike without having a test ride; there are so few shops around that carry these trikes so the variety opportunity for demo rides just doesn't exist. - or do I live in the wrong part of the country?

Any suggestions about what to look for as I continue my search?
Old 11-10-04, 08:44 PM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Liked 4,796 Times in 2,186 Posts
Just a side note to the topic. Anyone wanting to see what can be done on a trike should read the following tour diary of a woman who is in the midst of riding a trike to Alaska and back from No. Carolina:

https://www.crazyguyonabike.com/journ...20041021103440

She's ridden 11,865 miles since February of this year.

Old 11-10-04, 09:42 PM
funbun
Doomsled

Bikes: Performer JC-70

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Good point, Trsnrtr. The Greenspeed GRT was designed to circumnavigate Austrailia. That's 9,000+ miles with 88lbs of gear! If that's not practical I don't know what is!!!

Check out www.bentrideronline.com/messageboard They have an entire forum devoted to trikes. People who use them daily for commuting, touring, etc.
Old 11-11-04, 07:22 AM
cjs1948

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BigAlMN
Let me extend the intent of the above question?

There are several people that speak highly about CarTrike? What about GreenSpeed - is that an overpriced version of the same thing?

Does anyone buy a trike without having a test ride; there are so few shops around that carry these trikes so the variety opportunity for demo rides just doesn't exist. - or do I live in the wrong part of the country?

I am one who bought my first trike sight unseen. It was a Wizwheelz which is made in Michigan. It was as good as I expected. We still have two of them. I have since been able to try a couple different kinds by making contact with owners and meeting for a ride. I've also ridden a Catrike briefly at a shop. They are all different in ways that are nuance and preference. They are all the same in the stability of three wheels and that you drive them rather than ride them (they have steering gear and on corners you lean 'cause they don't).

I don't think you can go wrong with any of the major brands. If you had them all in a row, you would probably find preferences but those preferences will not likely be all on one trike.

Chip
TT and Logo
Old 11-12-04, 09:39 AM
DJB14

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I ride Greenspeed GT3, which I purchased in June after just two afternoons of looking. I liked the Cattrike and the WW, which were a bit cheaper. The dealer steered me towards the Greenspeed by extolling its quality. The machine is wonderful. I would certainly give the Cattrike another look, but the WW no chain tubes and a somewhat convoluted chain route that I've read can be cause for concern. I'm unable to do my own repairs and the Greenspeed has proved dependable in a way that is necessary for me. Whether the other trikes would have required service or been less dependable, I cannot say.

I do think, however, given the inherent complexity of a tadpole tricycle's frontend and that they're all virtually custom built, spending an extra $800-1000 on getting what you're most comfortable with is money well spent.
Old 11-12-04, 12:56 PM
beaterbike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BigAlMN
I have reviewed a lot of web sites to learn what is available. Does anyone buy a trike without having a test ride; there are so few shops around that carry these trikes so the variety opportunity for demo rides just doesn't exist. - or do I live in the wrong part of the country?

I know there are folks who have successfully bought a trike w/o trying it out, but I would strongly suggest that you try out different models before you buy. There's nothing worse than buyer's remorse. I would post a thread asking folks in your area for test rides of their trikes. I'm sure someone will volunteer.

Good luck and welcome to the bent community!!
Old 11-12-04, 02:47 PM
PedalDog

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a Hase Lepus from Germany (frog!) and a Trice Classic made in the UK (Tadpole!).
They are both fantastic but both ride very differently, the Lepus being a more slow and relaxing ride if a little heavier. Only negative to commuting on trikes is the parking space they take up can be annoying to other people. On the plus side, if anybody tries to steal it.... THEY WILL BE NOTICED!!!
Old 11-12-04, 03:06 PM
Steveal

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Anyone have any negative aspects of parking/leaving a trike in town?

Steve
Old 11-14-04, 08:16 AM
nualle

Bikes: homebuilt tadpole trike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
BigAl: If you're in or near the Twin Cities, you've got resources nearby that can help you shop for a trike and the means to become an all-season commuter on it. Trikes are definitely the way to go in snow.

https://mnhpva.org/

https://groups.yahoo.com/group/recumbentsmn/

https://www.calhouncycle.com/

Just on general principles, here's a link to the Icebike site -- a font of info on winter cycling.

https://www.icebike.com/
Old 11-14-04, 08:43 AM
ChiliDog

Bikes: Electra Townie crank forward, Specialized flat bar road bike.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Another viewpoint, not so "pro trike": I had "trike fever" back in the early summer. Now I am not too interested and the reason is visibility. Me seeing from that low on the ground and me being SEEN (by cars) that low on the ground.

Yeah, I know what trike devotees will say, but I would not feel comfortable in any way shape or form with cars behind, beside, or in front of me and their hubcaps at my eye level. If that doesn't bother some folks, then great. As for me, no thanks. That is too darn scary for my liking.

If all you're going to ride is a rail trail, they might be great. Or if you ride way out in the country where there is little traffic. Otherwise, I think it's very dangerous.

But I am a wuss...I don't ride my DFs in areas of heavy traffic...heck, I even am fearful in my SUV! Drivers are just "nuts" today and could care less if they cut in front of you, brake suddenly, run up on your bumper. No thanks~

Chili
Tour Easy SS
Old 11-14-04, 01:55 PM
cjs1948

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DJB14
but the WW no chain tubes and a somewhat convoluted chain route that I've read can be cause for concern. I do think, however, given the inherent complexity of a tadpole tricycle's frontend and that they're all virtually custom built, spending an extra $800-1000 on getting what you're most comfortable with is money well spent.
There is NO issue with WW chain routing by our experience on two trikes. In fact I have tubed the chain on my third trike to keep its oil off me and the frame. Because of WW controlled chain routing neither is an issue.

CS
Old 11-14-04, 10:56 PM
DJB14

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by cjs1948
There is NO issue with WW chain routing by our experience on two trikes. In fact I have tubed the chain on my third trike to keep its oil off me and the frame. Because of WW controlled chain routing neither is an issue.

CS
This is good news. I suspected that chain tubes could be added, and the chain routing issue is something I've read about elsewhere. Reports of no problems on less expensive trikes only makes me happy because I'm a proselytizing convert to the tricycle church. I always ride with a flag and I have lights on a mast for riding at night. Thanks.
Old 11-16-04, 02:29 PM
bikerski

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
here is my trike experience
1. buddy had a greenspeed. more money, slow, low and I don't get the point. why make something heavier, harder to haul, more complicated etc.....unless you need the trike for disability.
2. rode GRR in colorado mountain ride. no trikes, OH yea, one guy was trike nuts and hauled the bike up all the passes on top of car. I take that back. Another guy had a trike, no use of legs. He hand powered his trike to the top only to haul it down the mountain do to lack of control. My hero.
3. I see no trikes in any compititions of any kind, reg bike or HPV.
I would suggest getting bent, two wheel style.
Old 11-16-04, 02:40 PM
funbun
Doomsled

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
1. buddy had a greenspeed. more money, slow, low and I don't get the point. why make something heavier, harder to haul, more complicated etc.....unless you need the trike for disability.
Most commercial trikes like WW and Catrike can't take the weight I need. 2 wheel bents don't fair any better. I weigh 255lbs. and I want to tour with 60lbs+ of gear. Catrike can't handle that. I'm not a race junkie I don't care about light wieght or how fast everyone else can get uphill or that there aren't any trikes at the HPV meets. I'm not interested in racing. I want long, cross country touring. Greenspeeds were built for just this. the original GRT was built for a 9000+ mile trek around Austrialia hauling 88lbs of gear. Show me a two wheel commercial bent that can haul a 330lbs (max.) rider and 88lbs (max) gear! I don't want to go uphill on a 2 wheel bent with that much weight. Ain't no stability @ 3 mph with a bent, man.

I'm also interested in going car free. 3 wheels is more stable than 2 (tadpole). Much better for riding on rotted autumn leaves and ice.

Last edited by funbun; 11-16-04 at 02:51 PM.
Old 11-17-04, 06:40 AM
bruceha_2000

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ChiliDog
I would not feel comfortable in any way shape or form with cars behind, beside, or in front of me and their hubcaps at my eye level.
Though that depends on the trike doesn't it. :-) Not all are the low slung style, with a seat height less than a foot off the ground.

Bruce
Old 11-17-04, 06:55 AM
funbun
Doomsled

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The lane lines are lower on the ground than I would be and people seem to read them just fine.
Old 11-19-04, 09:35 AM
cyclingshane73
Compulsive Upgrader

Bikes: 2002 Kona Deluxe (road), 2001 Cove Stiffee (mtb)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by funbun
The lane lines are lower on the ground than I would be and people seem to read them just fine.
I wouldn't say that statement is 100% accurate. I do see your point though.

I've been commuting on my Speed since I bought it in late October in Toronto which takes me through the downtown lake front area. I don't have a problem with traffic. In fact once I put on a mirror and mounted the flag higher, I think the visibility is fine. I also have my lights on and wear reflective clothing to further enhance my visibility.

Its about attitude really. If you act scared and worried on the road, motorists will pick up on this. If you ride with a purpose, strong and appear to know what you are doing they react differently. Nothing is 100% but I think this is one of many keys to getting around, no matter what you ride. I also think some motorists assume there is something "wrong" (read: disability, sorry not meant to offend) with me and I am forced to ride my easy chair into work. So the reaction is sympathetic in a manner of speaking.

I had one woman, tailgate me for a block down a narrow street with vehicles parked along the right side, lay on her horn and yell at me that I was stupid, about a week ago. Bad day at work, whatever, I got really pissed and chased her down the street until she parked. I told her to learn how share the road, and remember to read the quote in first page in the driver's manual, "Driving is a priviledge, not a right." She looked at me like I had two heads. I just shook my head and continued home. Whatever. Getting off topic anyways.

Heck ride what makes you comfortable. I think it can be done as long as you take the steps to make the ride a safe and enjoyable as possible.
"No drug, not even alcohol, causes the fundamental ills of society. If we're looking for the source of our troubles, we shouldn't test people for drugs. We should test them for stupidity, ignorance, greed, and love of power." -P.J. O'Rourke

Last edited by cyclingshane73; 11-19-04 at 09:54 AM. Reason: Adding more...
Old 11-21-04, 06:47 AM
bent3wheeler
ez3 usx

Bikes: ez3 usx

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i have a 3 wheel ez3usx and i lock it with a wire cable around the frame.i have locked it to door handles at the grocery and anything i can get my cable around.so far i have better than handicapped parking,and with no sticker.
Old 11-21-04, 12:26 PM
izgod

Bikes: BikeE AT--Gary Fisher DF

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm still recovering from the broken femur I suffered on Oct 31, when my BikeE went over hard on some wet leaves. I'm very much looking forward to test riding some trikes as soon as I'm able to pedal again.
I don't own or use cars, and depend on my bike for basic transportation. Because of this, it is necessary for me to be out in all kinds of weather and conditions. Only ice has stopped me in the past, and I would either get a ride from a friend with a car, or call in "sick" to work. I certainly never want to go through the agony of this kind of injury ever again. I don't care how practical a trike may or may not be, it's really subjective after all. Friends and family thought I was crazy when I bought the BikeE. I just want reasonable, healthy, dependable transportation to get me around town, and throw on a bus, train or plane, when I want a vacation. I'm favoring the SUN EZ3 USX. Can't wait to test ride one!! Anyone know of a dealer in the Northeast US around Philadelphia area?
Old 11-21-04, 06:05 PM
cjs1948

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by izgod
I'm still recovering from the broken femur I suffered on Oct 31, when my BikeE went over hard on some wet leaves. I'm very much looking forward to test riding some trikes as soon as I'm able to pedal again.
I just want reasonable, healthy, dependable transportation to get me around town, and throw on a bus, train or plane, when I want a vacation. I'm favoring the SUN EZ3 USX. Can't wait to test ride one!! Anyone know of a dealer in the Northeast US around Philadelphia area?
Perhaps you need to look at a Greenspeed GT3 when it come time to take it with you--it folds. The Sun trike, while a perfectly fine ride, is pretty long and weighs 65 lbs.

I ride only trikes and, fortunately, didn't have to break anything to get my clue. My two-wheelers left one at a time because the trikes were so much more enjoyable to ride.

Chip
TT and Logo
Old 11-21-04, 07:06 PM
bent3wheeler
ez3 usx

Bikes: ez3 usx

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i have a ex3 usx and it's a blast with the electric hub motor i put on it.i'd highly recommend it for a bike for your recovery,however i doubt you would want to get out of it after your done licking your wounds.my bike is more comfortable than some recliners i have been in.mmm...wonder how my bike wouild look parked in the family room with a puter next to it?i like to ride the trails they have in ohio.i blast past everyone with the motor and it's not relly noticable.one lady cruised up on a 10 speed thing and said that bike is fast.made me laugh,,,i finally told her i had a electric motor on it.she told me she thouight she was just out of shape,,,was so funny but i guess you had to be there and see her in her spandex.i have decided to install a irrigation system on my bike for not only cooling,but to make it look like i have been peddling.i don't mind the extra weight of this machine over something that might go faster i just got this bike and i am going to hang as much stuff on it as i can to make it as safe and comfortable and high tech as i can.my guess is there are a lot of fog's(fat old geezers) out there who will be doing the same from the response i have gotten so far riding my i don't know what to call it really.bike i guess but what a ride.

go for the trike you can loose your behind in the seat so comfortable for me anyways

happy trails and good luck dodging the squirrels wet leaves and other dangerous wet patches...oh no mrbill black ice,,,i'm thinking of studded tires
Old 11-23-04, 05:45 AM
izgod

Bikes: BikeE AT--Gary Fisher DF

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm very mindful of "You getz what you payz for;" Greenspeed or Hase Kettwiesel are my trikes of choice. For some reason, I like the "delta" types like Hase and Sun better; higher seat, better visibility, better turning radius. Money will be an issue for sure, but the good news is I won't be able to pedal anything till spring at the earliest, so I have plenty of time to do the research and test rides, and to save up the money. May I call on you for specific advise when I am closer to purchase time?

Originally Posted by cjs1948
Perhaps you need to look at a Greenspeed GT3 when it come time to take it with you--it folds. The Sun trike, while a perfectly fine ride, is pretty long and weighs 65 lbs.

I ride only trikes and, fortunately, didn't have to break anything to get my clue. My two-wheelers left one at a time because the trikes were so much more enjoyable to ride.

Chip
TT and Logo
Old 11-23-04, 06:15 AM
cjs1948

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by izgod
I'm very mindful of "You getz what you payz for;" Greenspeed or Hase Kettwiesel are my trikes of choice. For some reason, I like the "delta" types like Hase and Sun better; higher seat, better visibility, better turning radius. Money will be an issue for sure, but the good news is I won't be able to pedal anything till spring at the earliest, so I have plenty of time to do the research and test rides, and to save up the money. May I call on you for specific advise when I am closer to purchase time?
I certainly would be willing to share the result of my experience and research. It wouldn't be unfair to say that I get a bit carried away with my enthusiasm. I've even considered opening a shop specializing in trikes. Unfortunately, that's probably just a way to get rid of money rather than the other way around. For direct contact: chasjstern@comcast.net

Chip

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.