Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Broke the ice today- first slow motion fall

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-11, 03:36 PM
sacerdote

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Well.........knew it would happen sooner or later. Bought a new bike last week and my first intro into cleats and pedals and no problem until today. Did a 50 mile ride this morning on the Silver Comet Trail outside Atlanta. All was well until I finished and all I could think about was putting it in the truck and getting something cold to drink. Stopped beside the truck and tried to dismount......oh noooooooooo.....forgot to pop out. Wham....bloody leg, bruised hand, bruised ego.......of course there was an audience.
Old 07-13-11, 03:41 PM
dstrong 

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Interloc Impala, ParkPre Image C6

Liked 86 Times in 56 Posts
Originally Posted by sacerdote
of course there was an audience.
Of course.

My first fall was on one of the busiest streets here in Austin...tried to not unclip waiting for a light to change and failed at my trackstand (obviously, I don't have one). Still clipped in, I rolled my bike from one side to the other to get it out of a lane, then unclipped, stood up, moved to the sidewalk, checked over my bike and continued on.

2014 Specialized Roubaix2003 Interloc Impala2007 ParkPre Image C6 (RIP)

Old 07-13-11, 04:29 PM
WHOOOSSHHH...

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Turn in your license...ssshheeeshhh...............
Old 07-13-11, 04:37 PM
tagaproject6

Bikes: Wilier Izoard XP (Record);Cinelli Xperience (Force);Specialized Allez (Rival);Bianchi Via Nirone 7 (Centaur); Colnago AC-R Disc;Colnago V1r Limited Edition;De Rosa King 3 Limited(Force 22);DeRosa Merak(Red):Pinarello Dogma 65.1 Hydro(Di2)

Liked 278 Times in 146 Posts
UMD does not and will not.

I really need to learn how to trackstand. Suckage at the trackstand is what I have plenty of.
Old 07-13-11, 04:43 PM
hairnet
Fresh Garbage

Bikes: N+1

Liked 27 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by tagaproject6
UMD does not and will not.

I really need to learn how to trackstand.
turn your wheel a lot, get in the right gear, don't die. Or get a fixie and learn on that
or
https://www.teamestrogen.com/content/asa_trackstand
Old 07-13-11, 05:03 PM
Muffin Man
:)

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD12, Specialized Rockhopper, Norco Fluid FS1

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by sacerdote
Well.........knew it would happen sooner or later. Bought a new bike last week and my first intro into cleats and pedals and no problem until today. Did a 50 mile ride this morning on the Silver Comet Trail outside Atlanta. All was well until I finished and all I could think about was putting it in the truck and getting something cold to drink. Stopped beside the truck and tried to dismount......oh noooooooooo.....forgot to pop out. Wham....bloody leg, bruised hand, bruised ego.......of course there was an audience.

lol that was me yesterday... and my mom was in the car next to me... it was bad... first time she sees me ride, and i eat it in front of her...
Old 07-13-11, 07:26 PM
Eclectus

Bikes: Cervelo RS, Specialized Stumpy, Schwinn 974

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Dead-stop falls, waay better than moving falls. I've had a couple minor scratches and seriously bruised ego in the past 40 years on zero-speed inability to unclip situations. Waay better than major road rash, broken bones, major sprains, 10-inch x 6 inch under-flesh purpura. Falls happen in cycling. No-speed ones are the best,in terms of getting up and keep riding.
Old 07-13-11, 07:30 PM
DropDeadFred

Bikes: 2013 orca

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i had an almost fall the other day...forgot to unclip barely got out as i was sideways and caught myself at a good steep 30 degree angle...lol...worst of all...it happened right in front of a LBS....epic failz
Old 07-13-11, 07:34 PM
surgeonstone

Bikes: 1976 FRESCHI, 2004 Crumpton.

Liked 21 Times in 10 Posts
Been riding 40 years and still I sometimes find myself in this situation. Always a humbling experience.
Old 07-13-11, 08:25 PM
Digitalfiend

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Best one for me was when I first started riding clipless. Coming back into my driveway and riding up to the garage door, only to remember as I was coming to a stop that I was now using clipless. Being a newb, I hadn't the adjusted tension, my feet were in the wrong position to clip out, and I just sort of fell-over. Didn't actually hit the ground because the sp@z attack I had while trying to maintain my balance somehow allowed me to kick my foot out of the pedal. Bike hit the ground and I sort of hopped sideways, bike in tow, trying to maintain my balance, crashing into the wall of my house and looking like a complete nutjob. Of course I did what any of us would have done in this situation: I grabbed the bike and started "examining" the pedals to find the mechanical defect that led to my embarrassment, all while casually glancing around to see how many of my neighbours had noticed the incident.

Good times.
Old 07-13-11, 09:01 PM
MikeyBoyAz
Middle-Aged Member

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito CV 2014, TREK HIFI 2011, Argon18 E-116 2013

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I love clipless fails... they rock.. I got mine in early, still have the pink scars... not sure when they will go away, if ever. A friend of mine sometimes forgets to unclip and I yell at him and he almost looks confused until he realizes what I am saying and he starts rattling his ankles... better than falling, he has had quite a few close calls lately... they are OLD look KEOs so that might be it too... he's uhh frugal? so what is had isn't 'broken' so there they stay.
Old 07-14-11, 05:40 AM
phee

Bikes: BMC RM01

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sounds like when I was first riding in high school. One of the guys I rode with each morning would yell at me at each time I forgot to unclip. I was laughing because it was just such a ridiculous situation, but he did make a point. Make sure you unclip your left foot first so that if you fall you fall out of the way of traffic. He wasn't concerned with me falling (in fact I think he pushed me down a few times), but he didn't want to have to explain a grease spot on the highway.
Old 07-14-11, 05:59 AM
JustinHorne

Liked 18 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by phee
Make sure you unclip your left foot first so that if you fall you fall out of the way of traffic. .

Whoa. Never thought about that.
Old 07-14-11, 06:02 AM
hyhuu

Bikes: Specialized Allez Sport

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Eclectus
Dead-stop falls, waay better than moving falls. I've had a couple minor scratches and seriously bruised ego in the past 40 years on zero-speed inability to unclip situations. Waay better than major road rash, broken bones, major sprains, 10-inch x 6 inch under-flesh purpura. Falls happen in cycling. No-speed ones are the best,in terms of getting up and keep riding.
+1. When I first started riding, one of my friend who is a long time cyclist told me that there are 2 kinds of riderr: those who fall and those who will fall again. Good times.
Old 07-14-11, 06:37 AM
lcrider

Bikes: Pinarello K8-s Campy Super Record EPS

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Welcome to the club!
Old 07-14-11, 07:00 AM
idc

Bikes: quite a few

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Did it a few weeks ago trying to turn 180 to go up onto a ramp while on a dirt/crushed rock surface next to a canal. I was on 700c x 25 tires. Embarrassing. I used to always dismount here and remount as soon as I made the turn. Now after the fall I just dismount and carry the bike all the way up the ramp and across the bridge over the canal, as there are stairs on the other side anyway. I just pretend I'm in a cyclocross race.