Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Lightest Wheelset - Price No Object

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-11, 04:02 PM
rushbikes

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

What is the lightest wheelset made? Simply that.

Lightweight Ventoux? Corima Winium+ MCC?
Old 07-13-11, 04:05 PM
Elvo

Liked 369 Times in 206 Posts
https://dashcycles.com/index.php?page...mart&Itemid=42
Old 07-13-11, 04:10 PM
Steve90068

Bikes: Road - Lynskey. Mountain - Trek Fuel EX

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
https://www.glorycycles.com/rerzr46twh.html
Old 07-13-11, 04:18 PM
Hida Yanra
VeloSIRraptor

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
the lightest one made, or the lightest one it is possible to make?

Lightest production wheelset is quite distinct from lightest wheelset available.

Fairwheel Bikes is who'd I'd talk to for the lightest wheel set achievable. (unless you are just curious, no need to bother them if that is the case)

Lightest production wheelset is meaningless in my mind, the lightest ones aren't off-the-shelf items. Someone wants one, they get one put together from fairey dust & unicorn hair by their favorite master builder - BAM way lighter than any production set.
Old 07-13-11, 04:25 PM
milliron

Bikes: 1997 Trek 520

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Depth? It's pretty easy to build up a 20-25mm tubular at well under 900g.
Old 07-13-11, 05:07 PM
rushbikes

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by milliron
Depth? It's pretty easy to build up a 20-25mm tubular at well under 900g.
No aero properties necessary. Lightest. Period.
Old 07-13-11, 05:10 PM
rushbikes

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Hida Yanra
the lightest one made, or the lightest one it is possible to make?

Lightest production wheelset is quite distinct from lightest wheelset available.

Fairwheel Bikes is who'd I'd talk to for the lightest wheel set achievable. (unless you are just curious, no need to bother them if that is the case)

Lightest production wheelset is meaningless in my mind, the lightest ones aren't off-the-shelf items. Someone wants one, they get one put together from fairey dust & unicorn hair by their favorite master builder - BAM way lighter than any production set.
Good point. Not looking to get a custom carbon mold built for the purpose, but curious what the lightest wheelset is that can be built with existing rims, spokes hubs. I think even a custom builder would be hard pressed to put something together lighter than the 2 wheelsets mentioned in my original post. They're around 900g.
Old 07-13-11, 05:22 PM
Elvo

Liked 369 Times in 206 Posts
Originally Posted by rushbikes
Good point. Not looking to get a custom carbon mold built for the purpose, but curious what the lightest wheelset is that can be built with existing rims, spokes hubs. I think even a custom builder would be hard pressed to put something together lighter than the 2 wheelsets mentioned in my original post. They're around 900g.
Dash Hubset: 136 grams
36 CX-Rays + Alu Nipples: 175 g
Enve 25's drilled 16/20: 500 g

Total: 811 g

Lightest possible wheelset using stock parts
Old 07-13-11, 05:45 PM
fa63

Bikes: A couple

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
This bike had a 583g wheelset:

https://www.bikerumor.com/2010/09/29/...irwheel-bikes/
Old 07-13-11, 05:46 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Liked 9,203 Times in 4,263 Posts
Mad Fiber?

Probably the ultralights are lighter.

Go to the weight weenies forum for answers
Old 07-13-11, 06:03 PM
rushbikes

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fa63
Now that's the money shot!
Old 07-13-11, 06:19 PM
tadawdy
Faster than yesterday

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas
Mad Fiber?
I was thinking of the Mad Fibers, too, but they're about 1000g for the pair. Oh, the shame! A guy had a set at a group ride. They sound like a helicopter, so you know when he's accelerating.
Old 07-13-11, 06:43 PM
Hida Yanra
VeloSIRraptor

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
500ish is the lightest I believe I've heard of for full-on customs
high 700s to low 800s is the lightest I've seen for wheels made with stock(ish) parts... they can get lighter, but this is still a daunting barrier to get past.

there is an entire forum for this stuff - weightweenies, go check it out.
Old 07-14-11, 05:21 AM
bbattle

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 5.2, 1985 Pinarello Treviso, 1990 Gardin Shred, 2006 Bianchi San Jose

Liked 29 Times in 14 Posts
In the comments section, someone made the good point that it is the gyroscopic effect of the spinning wheels that helps keep the bike balanced. At such a low weight, this bike is probably difficult to keep upright at higher speeds.

And they are planning to make that bike even lighter. Bragging rights amongst weight weenies must be very valuable; that bike cost them $45,000.
Old 07-14-11, 05:36 AM
hodie21
Sucking Wheel at the back

Bikes: Lynskey Helix Sport, Lynskey M290, Cervelo S3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This bike will probably explode when it hits a pothole.
Old 07-14-11, 05:51 AM
cyclebycle13
Super WW

Bikes: A really light one and a really heavy one.

Liked 43 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by hodie21
no, it won't

this guy is doing some really sick stuff-

https://weightweenies.starbike.com/fo...h+hub&start=15

madfiber and reynolds razr don't come close to some of the enve, ax lightness rim builds- of course there's the use factor- do you want something you can ride everyday or just light for the sake of being light?

I have a set of enve 1.45 tubulars built with extralite hubs and sapim cx-ray spokes 20/24 that come in at 990g. They take a beating and october they'll be 2 years old- still true, no issues.

Dash seems to be making the lightest hubs right now.
Old 07-14-11, 05:55 AM
rangerdavid

Bikes: 2009 Cannondale CAAD9-6 2014 Trek Domaine 5.9

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
mad fiber
Old 07-14-11, 06:31 AM
fa63

Bikes: A couple

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
If my fat butt is on it at that time, absolutely.

If it is a 130-140 pound rider, probably not. The original owner of that frame, a skinny German guy, put several thousand miles on it (I think it was 10,000+ miles) and it didn't explode as far as I know.
Old 07-14-11, 06:48 AM
svtmike

Bikes: S-Works Roubaix SL2^H4, Secteur Sport, TriCross, Kaffenback, Lurcher 29er

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bbattle
In the comments section, someone made the completely incorrect point that it is the gyroscopic effect of the spinning wheels that helps keep the bike balanced. At such a low weight, this bike is probably difficult to keep upright at higher speeds.
Fixed.
Old 07-14-11, 06:49 AM
rushbikes

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Hida Yanra
there is an entire forum for this stuff - weightweenies, go check it out.
Ugh, the dark side... Truth is, I'm not such a weight weenie, but...I've been itching for a pair of ultralight climbing wheels. I have two sets of training wheels and a set of aeros. Looking for something new.

Can't imagine it has the same shelf life as some beefier frames. But I thought the weightweenies thread says some interesting things:

What is it like to ride a 8 lb. bike you asked. Well first, I weigh 140 lbs. a little under 5' 10". My Ruegamer is a 54 cm with a short head tube, long top tube. The frame is very stiff and has a lower bottom bracket height. The bike just feels easier going up climbs, especially steeper climbs, more noticeable than say riding a 13 lb. bike. With the lower bb height the right fork rake (edge 1.0) no problems decending but I do watch out for pot holes. I can put my full power into climbing no flex in the frame or crank. I do run lower tire pressure. 85 psi front, 90 - 95 psi rear which helps a little with contact patch area. I never get pinch flats. Perhaps I have been somewhat lucky, my relaxed style of riding over rough roads, knowing where the best places are to remove material on parts, etc., have allowed me to enjoy riding such a light bike for a little over three years., Before that, 4 years on an 9.5 lb. customer Teschner frame, before that 3 years on a custom Chris Huber 11 lb. bike, and other light bikes before that. Overall the bike feels very light but strong, I don't worry about something breaking. You all have nice bikes on this site, bikes that reflect you, and as along as we enjoy them, have fun riding and racing, there is always the future to make changes.

Originally Posted by bbattle
In the comments section, someone made the good point that it is the gyroscopic effect of the spinning wheels that helps keep the bike balanced. At such a low weight, this bike is probably difficult to keep upright at higher speeds.
Actually, I don't think it is such a good point. Yes, the gyroscopic effect helps, but there's still enough inertia, and the majority is at the rim, that I'd imagine it's still quite stable. That said, I might be a tad bit nervous bombing a downhill and nicking a pothole. Btw, I read an interesting study that was done fairly recently about what keeps a bike upright, and turns out it isn't wholly attributable to the gyroscopic effects. Has much to do with the rake of the fork as well. I can try to dig up the link to the article if you're interested in reading more.

Originally Posted by cyclebycle13
this guy is doing some really sick stuff-

https://weightweenies.starbike.com/fo...h+hub&start=15
Not sure I'd be entirely comfortable riding that super light wheel: "This particular rim had a little cracking by the spoke holes, rim has 7,000 miles on it, I put a little 4,500 psi epoxey glue on a few of the very small cracks."
Old 07-14-11, 08:27 AM
Runner 1
Cookies!

Bikes: Red Huffy, CAAD10 Rival

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
At some point, they'll be able to mass produce products using carbon nanotubes, and then we'll really have light bikes! My university just opened a new nanotechnology research facility, and I've seen a few presentations by the professors doing research there, and I have to say there are definitely a lot of interesting directions that this technology is headed.