Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Flat Tire Questions

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Flat Tire Questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-11, 02:21 PM
surfer777

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Flat Tire Questions

I went on a ride about a week ago, didn't go far but just wanted to get out for a little bit while I had the time. Everything went well, no flat when I finished my ride. When I went for a ride a few days ago I found my back tire to be flat, wouldn't take any air at all. I took off the tire and changed the tube, everything seems to be fine but I haven't ridden it yet. I noticed on my old tube the hole is right at the base of the stem, and it looks like something cut the tube because there is a little flap of rubber. My question is---is it possible that there is a burr or something on the rim that could have cut the tube? Have any of you got a flat tire from the rim, but not like a pinch hole? I got the other tube on the rim before I thought to look and see if something was there. Seeing as this is my first flat replacement I'm a little hesitant to go out on a ride because I don't have a seat bag to put a tube and some tire irons in.

Thanks!
Old 07-21-11, 02:30 PM
surfer777

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Oh also if I'm out on the road with no replacement equipment how bad is it to ride the tire flat to somewhere I can get picked up or even all the way home?
Old 07-21-11, 02:37 PM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Liked 1,255 Times in 631 Posts
You might want to remove the tire and tube and check the rim for burrs.

Flats are part of road riding.
Spare tube, CO2 and or small pump should be carried with you.

Old 07-21-11, 02:43 PM
patrickgm60

Bikes: Yes

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by surfer777
Oh also if I'm out on the road with no replacement equipment how bad is it to ride the tire flat to somewhere I can get picked up or even all the way home?
Checking the rim and inside of the tire for sharp objects should be part of your flat repair routine. I suggest you deflate and do that now; otherwise, you may not get far.

I wouldn't ride a flat tire any distance at all, unless some emergency required it. You can damage the tire and the wheel in a short distance.

I suggest you bring the following with you on all rides longer than 100 feet: tube, pump (or CO2 can), tire tools.
Old 07-21-11, 02:44 PM
bianchi10
King Hoternot

Bikes: 2015 Cannondale Evo Hi mod

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
bad....very bad. unclip, pick your bike up and start walking. replacing your cleats would be way cheaper than a new rear weel (or whichever tire is flat). like already suggested, take tube out and run fingers along the inside rim and check. But I have had this happen also. For me it was a matter of being to aggresive with the stem when I was trying to attach my floor pump to it. it happens, just check your equiptment and throw in a new tube.
Old 07-21-11, 02:45 PM
Seattle Forrest

Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Depends how much you want to avoid paying for a new wheel. Instead, get a spare tube and a compressed air pump.
Old 07-21-11, 02:45 PM
Wested
post-ironic

Bikes: CAAD 12, Lemond Maillot Jaune

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Rim tape?
Old 07-21-11, 02:58 PM
jdom

Bikes: 08 LHT and 13 giant defy 2 composite

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 10 Wheels
You might want to remove the tire and tube and check the rim for burrs.

Flats are part of road riding.
Spare tube, CO2 and or small pump should be carried with you.
Also make sure you don't overtighten the nut on the outside of the valve stem.This can pull the tube into the hole and cut your tube.
Old 07-21-11, 03:02 PM
ErichM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jdom
Also make sure you don't overtighten the nut on the outside of the valve stem.This can pull the tube into the hole and cut your tube.
This is why it is best to just remove the nut entirely.
Old 07-21-11, 03:02 PM
surfer777

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
OK thanks guys I checked again and there were no sharp objects in the rim. Hopefully I didn't miss it if there is something there. And hopefully my tire won't go flat on my ride today!
Old 07-21-11, 03:05 PM
FactVord

Bikes: 2011 Scott S30, 2012 Tarmac SL3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I would imagine this is what happen to the OP the first time (or at least how I'm picturing the puncture).
Old 07-21-11, 04:23 PM
jayp410

Liked 25 Times in 16 Posts
Many years ago I got a flat because the tube was mounted in the wrong location so that the stem was pushed sideways in the hole. Not sure if that can happen with modern rims, but that's one thing I've been careful about ever since. The valve nut can be helpful to keep the stem straight while mounting/inflating the tube.
Old 07-21-11, 04:43 PM
reshp1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ErichM
This is why it is best to just remove the nut entirely.
This. The stupid nut serves really no purpose and can pull the tube too tight against the hole or rattle if left loose.
Old 07-21-11, 05:09 PM
iheartbenben

Bikes: Raleigh R600 105/DA, Specialized Allez Elite 105

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Please try not to ride to the LBS on just rim. You could destroy your tire. It's possible, I've done it. Broken axle once too. You get looks like this .

Take the nut and valve cap off.

Have your LBS re-tape and check your rim for anything like you are describing, they will set you straight. Buy the best TAPE they have and you won't have to replace that tape ever in your ownership of that wheelset.

There's really nothing I could tell you, even with pictures, video, lengthy descriptions, etc, because we would have to literally feel the rim and look everywhere.
Old 07-21-11, 05:16 PM
surfer777

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Actually the tubes that came with my bike didn't have a nut on the stem but the new tube I put in did. So overtightening the nut wasn't the problem of my flat...it wasn't even a possibility. Either way, the tube I put on stayed inflated and rode well so it seems like my flat problems have been solved until the next one!
Old 07-21-11, 05:28 PM
Northwestrider

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Trucker, Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo, Dahon Mu P 24 , Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Rodriguez Tandem, Wheeler MTB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
the tubes that came with my bike didn't have a nut on the stem but the new tube I put in did.
When you add air to the tube, have you been using a regular floor pump, or a smaller hand type pump? The smaller pumps allow too much movement of the valve stem while pumping, and IMO can cut the tube near the base of the stem.
Old 07-21-11, 05:32 PM
Northwestrider

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Trucker, Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo, Dahon Mu P 24 , Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Rodriguez Tandem, Wheeler MTB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
And you really should have a kit to fix a flat, it'll save you so much time in the long run. And please don't ride on a flat tire if it is at all possible to avoid, it'll cost you big time.
Old 07-22-11, 12:33 AM
catonec 

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
this is what happened.

NEVERMIND i DIDNT READ YOUR RESPONSE TO THAT STATEMENT
Old 07-22-11, 12:38 AM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Bikes: Lots. Van Dessel and Squid Dealer

Liked 1,310 Times in 563 Posts
You tore the valve off. Happens. Pay attention to what you're doing. Happens more with cheap tubes.

Old 07-22-11, 12:44 AM
SlowOlympian

Bikes: 2010 Specialized Allez

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
it seems like my flat problems have been solved until the next one!
WOW! really? how can i fix my flat tire problems until the next one comes up??? please explain!