Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Bikes in house, not exiled to the garage!

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-11, 09:58 AM
Cyclomania

Bikes: American Eagle, Nishiki.Semipro. Great bike.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I have my bike in the living room. My wife hates it. She says it belongs in the garage. I try to convince her otherwise. I'll start by saying, She (my bike) is my friend: She's earned her place in this household--we save on gas money!
I can't imagine having my bike any other place than inside our house, not sent to the garage. That would be like sending a kid to his room for being bad. For me she's always good. When she stands there in the room in the corner all gleamy, since I keep her polished, she can't help but advertise sunshine, cool breezes, and long life. Oh what am I to do?!
Old 07-24-11, 10:07 AM
Vaportrail56

Bikes: 2002 Burley Django,`99 Gary Fisher Joshua F4, `10 Cannondale Synapse 6, 2012 Cannondale Caad 10-5, 2023 Ozone Midtown

Liked 18 Times in 10 Posts
Tell her maybe she is the one that belongs in the garage and not your bike. Wait, it just hit me, I think I know why I`m divorced now.
Old 07-24-11, 10:09 AM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Liked 644 Times in 365 Posts
Why that's easy.

Build an addition onto the house for the bike. I'm thinking the right way to do it would include a gothic arch stained glass window and maybe one of those padded kneelers like Catholic churches have. If you want to cheap out, you could use an ordinary stained glass window.
Old 07-24-11, 10:20 AM
CSG

Bikes: 2002 Novara Ponderosa HT MTB 2011, Brompton M6L

Liked 10 Times in 5 Posts
I always kept my bikes in the house until I got the house I live in now where my bike lives in the garage. I'm OK with that as it's a big garage and a small house.
Old 07-24-11, 10:33 AM
wiredfoxterror

Bikes: 2006 Trek Rail 2007 Diamondback Dellacruz 1.0 2009 Trek Lime 2009 Jamis Boss Cruiser 7 1980s Nishiki Road Bike 1993 Cannondale R700 (Criterium) 1993 Cannondale V1000 1995 Cannondale M1000 1996 Cannondale Killer V900 1996 Cannondale M900 CAD3 1997 Ca

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Tell her the truth - bikes live and travel in packs. If you put her in the garage, you will have to get at least 1 or 2 more to keep her company. Laws of nature.
Old 07-24-11, 10:40 AM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Liked 3,124 Times in 1,591 Posts
I never had a garage either so mine are in the house. since I live alone I can put them where ever I want. at one time I had three in the bedroom until I did a little rearranging. now i have most in the living/bike room and few in what should be a dining room.

from where i stood to take this pic, there are two more bikes on a rack.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
DSC_0550.jpg (101.8 KB, 409 views)
DSC_0008..jpg (95.8 KB, 70 views)

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 07-24-11, 11:19 AM
RonH
Life is good

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Helix Pro

Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
My bikes have always been in the house. First in the LR, then in the spare bedroom. Now they're in the laundry room that's next to the back door. I'm happy.

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.
Old 07-24-11, 11:28 AM
dynodonn 
Banned

Liked 78 Times in 67 Posts
My bike is in the front room as I write this, and my wife doesn't care. Life is good.

Old 07-24-11, 11:30 AM
xrayzebra 
Very Verbose Member

Bikes: Surly Troll, Commencal Meta Power 29 Signature, old Specialized Hard Rock electrified, several restomod Schwinns, Biria Easy Board, Worksman trike electrified

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
BGirll: When I saw the picture of all your bikes, I almost asked if you were the guy who started the thread about not being able to meet women because of his interest in biking! I was going to tell him that I now understand why.

Some might ask, "Why so many bikes?" Others know the answer is "Why not?"

Does anybody else here think Cyclomania would do better to NOT refer to his bike as "she" and "her" when talking to his wife? I do think that the point about bikes living in herds is a good one. Since my bikes live in the dehumidified basement with a bunch of other stuff my wife doesn't want to have cluttering the livingroom, nobody notices when new members join the herd or depart for new homes.

Last edited by xrayzebra; 07-24-11 at 11:36 AM.
Old 07-24-11, 11:43 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Liked 1,360 Times in 866 Posts
I have a 2 Brm Apt, no garage. one is for stuff like bikes..
rust kills stuff left outside, or in unheated places , here.
Old 07-24-11, 12:00 PM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Liked 3,124 Times in 1,591 Posts
Originally Posted by xrayzebra
BGirll: When I saw the picture of all your bikes, I almost asked if you were the guy who started the thread about not being able to meet women because of his interest in biking! I was going to tell him that I now understand why.

Some might ask, "Why so many bikes?" Others know the answer is "Why not?"

Does anybody else here think Cyclomania would do better to NOT refer to his bike as "she" and "her" when talking to his wife? I do think that the point about bikes living in herds is a good one. Since my bikes live in the dehumidified basement with a bunch of other stuff my wife doesn't want to have cluttering the livingroom, nobody notices when new members join the herd or depart for new homes.
well the simple answer is; I just love bikes especially Bianchis. I love to ride them tinker with them, and making them something special. they are all diffeerent and range from a lowend 'sport' Bianchi or my cheap bikes direct single speed to top shelf MAX and Ti framed pro level bikes. if I want to go out and ride hard like I am trying to win the Tour I can take a pro bike. if I just want to go out for a morning cruise and I can take something with slacker geomentry and fat cushy tires. I am not as bad as some of the others in the C&V forums. there are guys over there who have 2x and 3x or more bikes than I and in ready to ride condition.

tou really only need four bikes. Race, Train, Commuter and mountain. well you could also use single speed, a city bike, errand bike, IGH bike......

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 07-24-11, 01:11 PM
Cyclomania

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Bianchigirll
My, now that image might cause my wife chest pain!
And...Yes, I could perchance rename them, all of them "the guys" and she'd love me forever with my bikes in the living room! Just hanging out with the guys tonight honey!
Old 07-24-11, 01:37 PM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Liked 2,010 Times in 1,257 Posts
Just keep a close eye on your wife's mood. If (or when) the discussion tends toward whether you or the bike will sleep in the garage tonight, well, maybe a little rust is part of toughening the bike up.

Old 07-24-11, 02:03 PM
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
I have a small house- Bikes used to live in the garage which has a door from the hall so they really lived in their own room in the house. Problem was that I also used to find the kids toys in there and the pile of washing that apparantly was mine and as I have run out of shirts- you had better get washing then.

So I got a bike shed. All my bikes live in there and that is it. Plenty of room to work on them and if I get back muddy from a ride- I can clean the bike after the bath instead of before when I am soaking wet and cold.

Bikes deserve their own space- just like anyone else and if mine had to live in the house they would have to pay their own way. Can just imagine what a pile of wet clothing draped over them would do to the cables. Or what the grandkids would do to them.

Spike Milligan
Old 07-24-11, 02:04 PM
DataJunkie

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
2 of my bikes are in the house. I do not trust putting my high end bike in the garage. Once i finish my office remodel both will be relocated into it since crawling infants and bike parts do not mix.
Old 07-24-11, 02:59 PM
Vaportrail56

Bikes: 2002 Burley Django,`99 Gary Fisher Joshua F4, `10 Cannondale Synapse 6, 2012 Cannondale Caad 10-5, 2023 Ozone Midtown

Here are my babies, not in the living room but just around the corner in the computer room in a climate controled area.Hey I`ve got about 1900 dollars invested in this so I`m going to try and take care of them. Doesn`t get much better than this. Bianchigirl has got me beat on this one.But life is good!
Attached Images
IMG_0208.jpg (55.7 KB, 40 views)

Last edited by Vaportrail56; 07-24-11 at 03:20 PM.
Old 07-24-11, 03:07 PM
Nightshade
Humvee of bikes =Worksman

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Cyclomania
I have my bike in the living room. My wife hates it. She says it belongs in the garage. I try to convince her otherwise. I'll start by saying, She (my bike) is my friend: She's earned her place in this household--we save on gas money!
I can't imagine having my bike any other place than inside our house, not sent to the garage. That would be like sending a kid to his room for being bad. For me she's always good. When she stands there in the room in the corner all gleamy, since I keep her polished, she can't help but advertise sunshine, cool breezes, and long life. Oh what am I to do?!
What you say makes sense IF you don't have a weatherproof garage. IF you DO have a weatherproof garage the bike belongs there and not in the fricking house!!!!!

I've always said if ya can't sleep with it it belongs outside...............

Originally Posted by krazygluon
Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred, which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?
Old 07-24-11, 03:23 PM
CNY James

Bikes: 2010 Felt F5, 2010 Dawes SST-AL

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
we don't have a garage and i refuse to bring my bike up and down every time I am going to ride. Thus, my bike stays in the living room on my Park Tools work stand. My wife is less than wild about it but she's gotten used to it.
Old 07-24-11, 03:30 PM
CraigB
Starting over

Bikes: 1990 Trek 1500; 2006 Gary Fisher Marlin; 2011 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 105; 2012 Catrike Trail

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Cyclomania
Oh what am I to do?!
Stop anthropomorphizing your bike.

Seriously, there are all kinds of good reasons to keep the bike indoors, whether those reasons are related to its care, your own personal motivation, or even the room's decor. But to think a bike is sad to be in the garage is kind of silly.
Old 07-24-11, 03:44 PM
xrayzebra 
Very Verbose Member

Bikes: Surly Troll, Commencal Meta Power 29 Signature, old Specialized Hard Rock electrified, several restomod Schwinns, Biria Easy Board, Worksman trike electrified

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Inspiring Flicker pages, BianchiGirll.

And, there's nothing wrong with "silly."
Old 07-24-11, 03:51 PM
Vaportrail56

anthropomorphizing.....
Old 07-24-11, 03:58 PM
mac61

Bikes: Trek 7.3 FX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My bike is in the house because every so often there are groups of thieves that ride through neighborhoods looking for open garage doors so they can "take inventory" and come back later or just a grab and run. Only takes a second to throw one in the back of a pickup and gone.
Old 07-24-11, 03:58 PM
Cyclomania

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by CraigB
Stop anthropomorphizing your bike.

Seriously, there are all kinds of good reasons to keep the bike indoors, whether those reasons are related to its care, your own personal motivation, or even the room's decor. But to think a bike is sad to be in the garage is kind of silly.
I agree with the good reasons you list. Bikes really have no feelings, I well know. But those reasons you listed above give me license to have mine residing inside my home. Some men refer to a race car or a sailboat as a she, seems we always attach a female name to a moving vessel. My bike's Eclaire, BTW.

Last edited by Cyclomania; 07-24-11 at 04:03 PM.
Old 07-24-11, 04:06 PM
theblackbullet

Bikes: I don't even

Liked 254 Times in 91 Posts
haha I keep my bikes in my "sunroom" at my apartment.

Old 07-24-11, 04:45 PM
Looigi

Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
My wife and I keep our new bikes in my home office. The older ones and mtbs are in the garage.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.