Search
Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Cygolite or Niterider

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-11, 04:31 PM
surgtech1956

Bikes: Giant OCR 3W, Giant Rincon, Trek 7100

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cygolite or Niterider

I'm looking at the following headlights - Cygolite Expillion 180, 250 Cygolite Mity Cross 300 LED LiIon, Niterider MiNewt Mini 300 USB, Niterider MiNewt 350 Cordless. Any recommendation from these lights? I want a light to illuminate the road. Thank you
Old 08-01-11, 08:07 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2643 Post(s)
Liked 1,992 Times in 1,248 Posts
All my Cygolites have been high quality, worked well, and were less expensive than other brands.

I got the original Niterider Mynewt USB, and was underwhelmed with the light it provided. (Got a new Cygolite a week later.)

I'd recommend the biggest, brightest Cygolite.
Old 08-01-11, 08:31 AM
ChrisO
of Clan Nrubso

Bikes: Cannondale F400, Surly LHT,Motobecane Le Champion Ti, Novara Veloce

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
They're both good companies, but I do think that NR in general is overpriced.
I currently run the Expilion 250 on one of my bikes and find that it is plenty bright enough at night and is conspicuous in flash mode during bright daylight. It's a good deal for the money and routinely goes on sale.
The integrated battery (no wires or battery pack to futz with) is a super bonus IMO.
Old 08-01-11, 09:58 AM
PaulRivers

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 539 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 38 Posts
fyi, both Niterider and Cygolite officially announced new lights for this year that double the light output of last years lights at the same retail cost. I know some of the new models are available now, while others are supposed to be available to purchase over the next month or two. For example, my local shop Freewheel Bike just starting letting people order the "CygoLite ExpiliOn 400 USB Rechargable Headlight" -
https://freewheelbike.com/product/cyg...t7893-qc37.htm

While REI sells last years "CygoLite ExpiliOn 250 USB Bike Light" for $130.

Just an fyi. I know Niterider doubled the light output on almost all their lights, while pricing the new ones that same as the old ones as well.
Old 08-01-11, 10:21 AM
FinanceGuy

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I recently purchased a Nirerider Cordless for under $150--works great.
Old 08-01-11, 10:37 AM
runner pat

Bikes: Invacare Force 3 handcycle

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by ChrisO
They're both good companies, but I do think that NR in general is overpriced.
I currently run the Expilion 250 on one of my bikes and find that it is plenty bright enough at night and is conspicuous in flash mode during bright daylight. It's a good deal for the money and routinely goes on sale.
The integrated battery (no wires or battery pack to futz with) is a super bonus IMO.
I have the same light and completely agree. However, as PaulRivers mentioned, there are brighter lights coming at the same price.
Old 08-01-11, 10:42 AM
badrad

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
i have the cygolight mitycross 350, and the and the older cygolight hi-flux II. either light provides sufficient (not great) illumination for my commute home. on some occasions i will put both on for added lighting -but the challenge is getting enough real estate to secure the battery packs.

given that, knowing after a couple years of use i still would prefer the convenience of having just the single piece unit - and not having to deal with the battery packs.

i have also the PB 2W blaze which is use for weekends when i feel i might be late, but don't want the additional hardware.
Old 08-01-11, 11:34 AM
woody_1029

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am expecting a new CygoLite TridenX 750 OSP in the next week or so. I'll post my conclusions in a couple of weeks after I've had a chance to use it. I haven't ridden in the dark for quite some time, so I'll be comparing it to my memories (hah) of an ARC HID NiMH that I last used a few years ago. The ARC on the road had enough throw for me, but I do remember it not having a very wide beam which created somewhat of a "tunnel effect". I'm hoping that the TridenX will have the same, or longer throw, but a wider beam. From a QC standpoint, I think CygoLite gets the nod.
Old 08-01-11, 11:46 AM
PaulRivers

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 539 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 38 Posts
Yeah, I keep waiting for my local REI to carry the TridenX 750 so I can try it myself...would love to hear back what you think. Seems like it has the most even beam pattern of the bike lights...
Old 08-02-11, 03:59 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,359 Times in 865 Posts
I have a Night Rider Sport.. long Amp/Hr, 5D cell waterproof battery case,
and a NiMH "headtrip" for handlebar mount or helmet mount.
a small sized battery pack on a long lead to put in your pocket..
both 6v halogen bulbs . 10w and 15w

Lost a small part of a NR handle bar QR clamp, since then they had changed the design,
no longer had the small part I needed , and so they sent me another entire Handlebar clamp
Gratis..
Customer service after the sale , makes repeat customers ..

have a dual bulb halogen light , just needs a battery replacement, the 12V NiCad pack passed its charge cycle capacity

Last edited by fietsbob; 08-02-11 at 05:35 PM.
Old 08-09-11, 08:03 PM
alan s 

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1496 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 128 Posts
I bought the Cygolite Expilion 250 for primarily helmet use, and it's great. The 400 will no doubt be even better.
Old 08-09-11, 09:58 PM
carpetman1

Bikes: trek 7000 and old Rampar

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have the Niterider minewt 350 and am very pleased. You can buy them very reasonable on EBAY. I do like to support my local bike shop and know he can't compete with online stores, but he did not have the Niterider in his shop and was not out any demo expense to show me what they do.
Old 08-10-11, 03:55 PM
trestlehed

Bikes: Santa Cruz Heckler, EZ Sport AX, Lightfoot Rambler, Electra Townie 24D "The Holy Grail of Beach Cruisers"

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I can't speak for the cordless NR lights, but I have had and currently have a couple NR's that work great, are lightweight and always work flawleesly.
Currently I have the Niterider Minewt usb plus (110 lumens) and the new Minewt usb 150 (150 lumens). I'm always amazed how much bright light can come out of such a small, compact and lightweight system. I've never had any gripes about these lights.
Niterider is now offering the MiNewt Mini.300-USB & Plus at 300 lumens for @ $100.

Keep up the good work Niterider!

fietsbob wrote:
have a dual bulb halogen light , just needs a battery replacement, the 12V NiCad pack passed its charge cycle capacity
Check this thread for some older Niterider lights for sale. This guy might have some parts you need:
https://www.bentrideronline.com/messa...ad.php?t=74437
Old 08-11-11, 10:44 AM
kf9yr

Bikes: 2011 Serotta Ottrott, Serotta TI Road Bike, Serotta TI MTB,Ritchey Breakaway Ti Cross, Trek Rumblefish Pro, Cannondale Tandem

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have 2 of the NR MiNewt lights and a Cygolite MityCross 350.

The MityCross is much brighter and there are more options but they are both decent little lights.

I have the two NR lights on my kids bikes now and I feel they are seen better in the neighborhood tooling around in the evening.

Last edited by kf9yr; 08-11-11 at 10:44 AM. Reason: Spelling typo
Old 08-12-11, 05:42 AM
ccd rider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I can only speak for Cygolite......I have two of their lights including the MityCross mentioned. Both excellent. Had great customer service with a replacement on a battery charger for free.
Old 08-15-11, 03:55 PM
enigmaT120

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Fargo 2, Rocky Mountain Fusion, circa '93

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by ccd rider
I can only speak for Cygolite......I have two of their lights including the MityCross mentioned. Both excellent. Had great customer service with a replacement on a battery charger for free.
My charger quit too, and they are sending me a new one under warrenty. Mine is a Rover II LED. Plenty of light for me even without using the highest setting. The light itself is so though that I wish they would make a version that could be run from a hub generator but I don't see any listed on their web site.
Old 08-16-11, 07:19 PM
ccd rider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by enigmaT120
My charger quit too, and they are sending me a new one under warrenty. Mine is a Rover II LED. Plenty of light for me even without using the highest setting. The light itself is so though that I wish they would make a version that could be run from a hub generator but I don't see any listed on their web site.
I didn't even know it was the charger that was bad on mine. I purchased a new Dual Cross on Ebay from a guy who stated he was going to Iraq and could not refund or exchange. It was worth the risk for the price asked (he had a very high rating) and it did seem like it was unopened in the box. So I charged up the battery and it worked fine the first charge. I got about two hours worth of time on the high setting. The second time I charged it, I had gone several days with the battery plugged into the light without using it. After charging and hooking it up to the light, I set out for a ride and almost immediately it started flashing the pattern that says it needs charged and then shut off. So....I thought I didn't charge it right so I charged it again and tried it a second time. It did the same thing. I suspected a bad battery, but didn't know if the light was bad instead. I thought I was sunk. Not only could I not return the light, I didn't even have the original receipt or registration for warranty. All I had was the invoice for the Ebay purchase. So I just took a flyer out of desperation and sent the entire package to Cygolite. It took them several weeks, but sent the light and battery back.....with a new charger. They said the charger was the culprit and everything worked perfectly after that. A few years later and no problems whatsoever. I now have a MityCross.....which is much smaller and lighter. Had it for a couple of years with no problem. I was impressed that in spite of the fact I was not the original owner, they fixed it free of charge with no questions.
Old 03-25-12, 03:33 AM
Buckeye Jim

Bikes: Motobecane Ti

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My Cygolite messed up yesterday morning, it cycles through all the different lighting modes and will not tun off without being unpluged. Its the 295 something, I have lost the paper work but do have the reciept. Its ofer a year old, can it be repaired or should I just buy another light. Have really liked this light till now.
Old 03-25-12, 04:16 AM
Garfield Cat

Bikes: Cervelo Prodigy

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 479 Post(s)
Liked 88 Times in 68 Posts
Originally Posted by Buckeye Jim
My Cygolite messed up yesterday morning, it cycles through all the different lighting modes and will not tun off without being unpluged. Its the 295 something, I have lost the paper work but do have the reciept. Its ofer a year old, can it be repaired or should I just buy another light. Have really liked this light till now.
They're pretty easy to contact as their facility is in Southern California. Let them know where you purchased it from when you call.
Old 03-26-12, 05:56 PM
Buckeye Jim

Bikes: Motobecane Ti

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Easy as a phone call, as I was telling them what it was doing they told me how to fix it myself. Works fine now, you sure can't beat that. Thanks