Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Strava Club

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Strava Club

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-11, 09:37 PM
ErichM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Strava Club

Hey if any Strava members here are interested, I created a Bike Forums club. https://app.strava.com/clubs/1488

Not sure how useful it will be. I don't know about anyone else but I kinda enjoy looking at other people's rides. Anyway, join if you like.
Old 08-03-11, 06:14 AM
LowCel 
Throw the stick!!!!

Bikes: GMC Denali

Liked 92 Times in 31 Posts
Joined.
Old 08-03-11, 07:27 AM
RT
The Weird Beard

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Joined >:-)
Old 08-03-11, 08:02 AM
brian416
Roadie

Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Joined, and just finished uploading 3 years of Garmin data
Old 08-03-11, 08:05 AM
ErichM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by brian416
Joined, and just finished uploading 3 years of Garmin data
Wow! I only uploaded some when I joined. I'd been using Garmin Connect and had to export them all individually. Was a PITA to move over just a few weeks. I guess you had the files saved locally?
Old 08-03-11, 08:45 AM
brian416
Roadie

Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
I keep all the files on my computer, but there was 1.2GB of files and emailing them in 25mb chunks took a while.
Old 08-03-11, 09:25 AM
Inertianinja

Bikes: Felt AR1, Cervelo S2

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I joined.
Would be cool if they had the capacity to transfer data from Garmin Connect.

I checked the segments on my usual rides (Central Park) and it turns out i'm ranked pretty high. cool beans
Old 08-03-11, 09:50 AM
RT
The Weird Beard

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
How odd. I exported a few GPX files from sportypal.com, uploaded them to strava.com, and the data is wayyy different. Everything changed, including time, elevation, and especially avg. speed (which I understand is based on time and distance). Wondering how this can be since data is data. Does Strava somehow interpret the data differently? Not one category matches what I exported in the GPX file.

Anyone else?
Old 08-03-11, 10:35 AM
ErichM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RTDub
How odd. I exported a few GPX files from sportypal.com, uploaded them to strava.com, and the data is wayyy different. Everything changed, including time, elevation, and especially avg. speed (which I understand is based on time and distance). Wondering how this can be since data is data. Does Strava somehow interpret the data differently? Not one category matches what I exported in the GPX file.

Anyone else?
I was wondering about that myself. Since the Garmin device only stores individual points it could be a propagation issue. Maybe Strava doesn't have enough floating point accuracy? Not sure. Maybe the issue is with Garmin Connect?

I wonder if there is software out there that can give you just a raw dump of the position points from the Garmin, then we could figure out if it is Garmin connect or Strava that is rounding poorly.

RTD, did you notice if one consistently more/less than the other?

EDIT: I suppose there is a certain degree of data normalization as well. Maybe if I get around to it in my free time I'll take a look at the raw data my Edge 500 produces and see if I can figure out what is going on.

EDIT2: Sorry, I somehow read garmin connect instead of sporty pals! In any event, the Strava data is a bit different than my Garmin Connect is as well. Speed/time/distance is about right but the elevation data is a bit different.

Last edited by ErichM; 08-03-11 at 11:03 AM.
Old 08-03-11, 10:55 AM
RT
The Weird Beard

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Yes, the Strava numbers are off in both directions. For instance, the 7/30/11 ride on Strava has me going further, longer, which drops avg. speed by over 3 mph. It appears that SportyPal's auto-start/auto-pause feature is not being carried over to Strava.

Strava is pretty cool for the ability to join clubs and compete with other cyclists, but SportyPal has their shizz dialed in TIGHT. Will stay with SportyPal until Strava irons out their import and translation issues.

Last edited by RT; 08-03-11 at 11:01 AM.
Old 08-03-11, 11:01 AM
ErichM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes, the Strava numbers are off in both directions. For instance, the 7/30/11 ride on Strava has me going further, slower, which drops avg. speed by over 3 mph. It appears that SportyPal's auto-start/auto-pause feature is not being carried over to Strava.

Strava is pretty cool for the ability to join clubs and compete with other cyclists, but SportyPal has their shizz dialed in TIGHT. Will stay with SportyPal until Strava irons out their import and translation issues.
Ah you exported from SportyPal? (Edit: Guess I missed reading that in your original post) I guess it probably isn't transferred over. I had one ride on Garmin Connect that I forgot to hit hit the start button when I was messing around with something on the side of the road. I lost 5 miles off my trip so I edited it on Garmin Connect, when I exported from GC it didn't transfer over so the data is still the raw data I guess.

Maybe it's time to invest in an Edge 500? :-)
Old 08-03-11, 11:04 AM
RT
The Weird Beard

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by ErichM
Ah you exported from SportyPal? (Edit: Guess I missed reading that in your original post) I guess it probably isn't transferred over. I had one ride on Garmin Connect that I forgot to hit hit the start button when I was messing around with something on the side of the road. I lost 5 miles off my trip so I edited it on Garmin Connect, when I exported from GC it didn't transfer over so the data is still the raw data I guess.

Maybe it's time to invest in an Edge 500? :-)
LOL - I sold my 500 when I went Android/SportyPal.
Old 08-03-11, 11:08 AM
ErichM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
LOL - I sold my 500 when I went Android/SportyPal.
Ah, I love my little 500. Couldn't ride without it (only sorta joking). Except today I found myself coveting the bigger model when I took a couple wrong turns and had to stop and look at my iPhone and google maps for help.
Old 08-03-11, 12:36 PM
RT
The Weird Beard

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Not to turn this into a Strava support thread, but I just went out and did a short ride to test the functionality of the console, and it appears to have two settings - start and stop, with no auto-functions. I searched strava.com and could find nothing on advanced functionality, and the support forums yielded nothing.

How are you guys using Strava at, say, a stoplight, or if you get a flat? Are you always manually pausing? What SportyPal lacks in Clubs and Segments, it makes up for in everything else. Strava seems completely bare-bones.
Old 08-03-11, 01:03 PM
bogdan912

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
When you sync the ride to strava it removes "stopped" time. So you'll have riding time and total time.
Old 08-03-11, 01:31 PM
RT
The Weird Beard

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Then riddle me this - if you wanted to check your status in real time (during a ride), you would not have an accurate measure of what you have done as it is counting while you are stopped. Sounds like it might be a neat supplement to a true cycle-computer and I'll see if I can run both at once.

EDIT: ...and this likely explains the vast differences in my GPX uploads. I don't know why Strava would not recognize the stops in the GPX file, but this makes GPX uploads pretty worthless :-(
Old 08-03-11, 04:59 PM
vandalarchitect
Vandalized since 2002

Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
I'll join up. I'm new to strava and I don't have a good gps, but hopefully I'll be getting a Garmin Edge 500 soonish.
Old 08-04-11, 06:57 AM
RT
The Weird Beard

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Working with Strava on this. They are very responsive. Will detail my findings here.
Old 08-04-11, 07:05 AM
ErichM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Check out https://app.strava.com/leaderboard?club_id=1488 if you want to see the standings for the Bike Forums club. The Strava leaderboard is a bit hard to find in my opinion. You can also view the leader board broken down by a few other criteria on that right side drop down.
Old 08-04-11, 07:42 AM
RT
The Weird Beard

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Check out https://app.strava.com/leaderboard?club_id=1488 if you want to see the standings for the Bike Forums club. The Strava leaderboard is a bit hard to find in my opinion. You can also view the leader board broken down by a few other criteria on that right side drop down.
So does the Leaderboard take into account GPX uploads, or just rides logged using Strava exclusively?
Old 08-04-11, 07:47 AM
ErichM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So does the Leaderboard take into account GPX uploads, or just rides logged using Strava exclusively?
No clue! I assume it takes into account GPX uploads.
Old 08-04-11, 07:47 AM
LowCel 
Throw the stick!!!!

That's pretty cool. All of it is pretty much self explanatory. Only thing I don't completely understand is how they come up with the time trial numbers.
Old 08-04-11, 07:54 AM
ErichM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by LowCel
That's pretty cool. All of it is pretty much self explanatory. Only thing I don't completely understand is how they come up with the time trial numbers.
It looks to me like it is your fastest 20 minute average. If you click on the name for the category rank it will show you the segment in which the person won said position.

Last edited by ErichM; 08-04-11 at 07:58 AM.
Old 08-04-11, 08:18 AM
LowCel 
Throw the stick!!!!

It looks to me like it is your fastest 20 minute average. If you click on the name for the category rank it will show you the segment in which the person won said position.
Pretty sure that isn't how they come up with it since I generally average 17-19 for complete rides and it showed my TT for the week was 13.3.
Old 08-04-11, 09:01 AM
Genaro

Bikes: Motobecane Immortal Force

Liked 15 Times in 11 Posts
Think its pretty cool that they offer free unlimitted now, but that would suck for those who paid the subscription. What is in it for them ?
What's the diff between free and paid subscription ? Is it worth it ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.