Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Small rant

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Small rant

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-11, 06:10 AM
RidingMatthew
Let's Ride!

Bikes: --2010 Jamis 650b1-- 2016 Cervelo R2-- 2018 Salsa Journeyman 650B

Liked 40 Times in 27 Posts
Small rant

I was riding the Tour De Triad yesterday. It was to benefit the American Red Cross chapter. I have ridden this ride before and I think they do a great job. I also like how fun it is to ride with a large group of people.

That was especially helpful yesterday since it rained the ENTIRE ride and at some points it was really coming down.

What I want to rant about was the fact there was a group of riders who insisted on riding 4-5 across the lane. We were behind them and yelling "car back" and they did not even attempt to make themselves single file.

I am a cyclist. I was riding with them and me and new friend both agreed that we wanted to run them off the road.

It really made me mad and eventually me and new friend backed off and did not ride near them so hopefully the cars passing would realize that not ALL bicyclists were jerks. We would condense down to single file.

I just could not understand the logic behind riding 4-5 across is rain/ no lights. I was concerned for their safety a couple times.
Old 08-07-11, 07:13 AM
TDRILL

Bikes: 11 BMC SLR01 / 09 Madone 4.5

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Did anyone say anything to them specifically? They likely weren't mind readers. Though it seems obvious to us that this is a really bad idea for several reasons, some people are just oblivious and need it politely spelled out for them.
Hope you did, education makes it better and safer for everyone
Old 08-07-11, 11:16 AM
surgeonstone

Bikes: 1976 FRESCHI, 2004 Crumpton.

Liked 21 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by RidingMatthew
I was riding the Tour De Triad yesterday. It was to benefit the American Red Cross chapter. I have ridden this ride before and I think they do a great job. I also like how fun it is to ride with a large group of people.

That was especially helpful yesterday since it rained the ENTIRE ride and at some points it was really coming down.

What I want to rant about was the fact there was a group of riders who insisted on riding 4-5 across the lane. We were behind them and yelling "car back" and they did not even attempt to make themselves single file.

I am a cyclist. I was riding with them and me and new friend both agreed that we wanted to run them off the road.

It really made me mad and eventually me and new friend backed off and did not ride near them so hopefully the cars passing would realize that not ALL bicyclists were jerks. We would condense down to single file.

I just could not understand the logic behind riding 4-5 across is rain/ no lights. I was concerned for their safety a couple times.
Welcome to the world of cycling and the group dynamics of human beings. I agree with you. There are many times, cyclist that I am, that I am tempted to yell at or otherwise be aggressive towards cyclists on the road. There is an increasingly militant attitude of some cyclists that seem to want to claim the road and take delight in the irritation or the driver. For myself, I ride to the right, single file and do my best not to piss off people in 3000 pound instuments of death and disability.
Old 08-07-11, 11:28 AM
HokuLoa
Blissketeer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
welcome also to the world of public "tours." Peeps of varying abilities, backgrounds, and knowledge... A lot of sheeple have no clue of what is right/safe on group rides on the road.

Also, that "militancy" is soooooo lame. Makes some riders feel big in a group but I strongly suspect that encounters with these D'bags is what leads to some drivers then later act like jerks to EVERY riders on the road. End result: riders like me soloing on rural roads and getting harassed/buzzed while respectfully hugging the side.
Old 08-07-11, 11:42 AM
rkelley23

Bikes: 2012 CAAD 10

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
hmmm

Last edited by rkelley23; 08-07-11 at 11:45 AM. Reason: dumb comment
Old 08-07-11, 11:52 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Liked 9,572 Times in 4,426 Posts
I know it's a good cause, but this is exactly why I stay away from organized "event" rides like that. Too many riders of a wide variation in skill and ability.

I prefer to ride with my club. We typically have 5-20 riders on any given ride. And we know to "single up" if there's a "car back."

Glad you got it off your chest, though.
Old 08-07-11, 12:00 PM
ahsposo 

Bikes: Retrospec Judd, Dahon Boardwalk, Specialized Langster

Liked 5,755 Times in 3,405 Posts
The silver lining:

Rule #9 / If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.

Like several members have noted: This sort of behavior is why I don't do this sort of ride. It's too bad because I'm sure they are for good causes.
Old 08-07-11, 12:15 PM
shadoman

Bikes: Bianchi Nuevo Alloro, Cannondale ST400, Fuji Palisade, GT Timberline FS, Raleigh Technium 420, Schwinn Moab, Schwinn Passage, Schwinn Tempo, Specialized Sirrus Elite (aluminum), Specialized Sirrus Triple (steel), Trek 7.6, Viner Road Record

Liked 66 Times in 20 Posts
Originally Posted by RidingMatthew
I was riding the Tour De Triad yesterday. It was to benefit the American Red Cross chapter. ...

...I just could not understand the logic behind riding 4-5 across is rain/ no lights. I was concerned for their safety a couple times.
Some views from one who has been in the same position:
ANYtime you have a "benefit" ride, it brings out many "wanna help the cause" non-cyclists on BSOs.
In many cases, these people have NO IDEA about proper/safe cycling. Yelling "car back !" achieves about the same result as if you yelled "Oh Look ! A raccoon ! "
There is NO logic in their actions, because they are not thinking as a cyclist would.
Rather, they are out to help the cause and have fun. Trying to teach them to act as we do is often futile, because our instruction goes in one ear and out the other.
Old 08-07-11, 02:00 PM
RidingMatthew
Let's Ride!

Bikes: --2010 Jamis 650b1-- 2016 Cervelo R2-- 2018 Salsa Journeyman 650B

Liked 40 Times in 27 Posts
thanks for letting me rant!

Originally Posted by TDRILL
Did anyone say anything to them specifically? They likely weren't mind readers. Though it seems obvious to us that this is a really bad idea for several reasons, some people are just oblivious and need it politely spelled out for them.
Hope you did, education makes it better and safer for everyone
I am not sure if anyone said anything to them. apparently it was the son of a local shop owner and bunch of women training for something. It is where I bought my road bike. Makes not really want to shop there to much anymore.

Originally Posted by ahsposo
The silver lining:

Rule #9 / If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.

Like several members have noted: This sort of behavior is why I don't do this sort of ride. It's too bad because I'm sure they are for good causes.
THANKS: Long story short my road bike was broke. (wheel untrue and knot in tire casing) I road my Diamondback commuter bike with fenders and rack. Everyone around me enjoyed the fenders! I was please with that bike ride in the rain. The most I had ridden it before was in a campground with my daughter. Both fun but it rode really really well for 38.89 miles in the rain.

Originally Posted by shadoman
Some views from one who has been in the same position:
ANYtime you have a "benefit" ride, it brings out many "wanna help the cause" non-cyclists on BSOs.
In many cases, these people have NO IDEA about proper/safe cycling. Yelling "car back !" achieves about the same result as if you yelled "Oh Look ! A raccoon ! "
There is NO logic in their actions, because they are not thinking as a cyclist would.
Rather, they are out to help the cause and have fun. Trying to teach them to act as we do is often futile, because our instruction goes in one ear and out the other.
In 2009, I did 3 benefit rides. 2010 year of job loss I did none. I missed the riding in a group, pushing ourselves, and making some new friends. This year I did this one to prep for duathlon at the end of the month. I did have fun with this ride because i was riding the commuter I could almost beat them down the hills in the rain. {wider tires= more traction** I also was climbing like a crazy man passing most people going uphill. It was either the bike or the fact that I was 20lbs lighter than 2009
Old 08-07-11, 04:24 PM
cooleric1234

Bikes: CAAD9-1, Windsor Cliff 29er

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Depends on the ride. Yesterday I did the Copper Triangle here in Colorado. It's 80 miles, 5,900 feet of climbing, and no easier options. It benefited the Davis Phinney Foundation, started by the former pro cyclists to combat Parkinson's. Given the difficulty of the ride I didn't see anyone there who was merely a casual cyclist who didn't understand the basics. Perhaps it's because we're in Colorado, but there were also plenty of riders. Something like 3,000, if I'm not mistaken.
Old 08-07-11, 04:43 PM
patentcad
Peloton Shelter Dog

Bikes: 2017 Scott Foil, 2016 Scott Addict SL, 2018 Santa Cruz Blur CC MTB

Liked 28 Times in 22 Posts
Happens all the time. Cyclists are morons.
Old 08-07-11, 07:49 PM
ahsposo 

You can say "morons" ???

**** who knew?
Old 08-07-11, 07:52 PM
ahsposo 

You sure can't say ******.

I tried to make a Suthen joak, ya no, onceest bout not havven ta werks no mo cuz ya ole an ya gots ******. But the fukkin filter dun ruint ta joak.