Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

2 minute rule

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

2 minute rule

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-11, 01:12 PM
the mayneframe

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
2 minute rule

Anyone heard in cycling circles or better yet read in the highway code anything about waiting at a stoplight with a weight detection sensor?

I have heard that if you are at a light that has an auto detection system after two minutes you can treat that light as flashing yellow... 'proceed with caution'.

Any truth to this?
Old 08-12-11, 01:22 PM
the mayneframe

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by the mayneframe
Anyone heard in cycling circles or better yet read in the highway code anything about waiting at a stoplight with a weight detection sensor?

I have heard that if you are at a light that has an auto detection system after two minutes you can treat that light as flashing yellow... 'proceed with caution'.

Any truth to this?
To follow up on my previous post I found this page that helps define the problem. According to them there is not such authority to proceed through a light with an actuator:
https://www.bikexprt.com/bicycle/actuator.htm
Old 08-12-11, 01:26 PM
Onions
Insane Member

Bikes: Huffy Grand Prairie 15sp MTB (don't hate!), 1980 Schwinn World Tourist, 1976 Schwinn Traveler, 1974 Romic Custom (project bike!)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
To follow up on my previous post I found this page that helps define the problem. According to them there is not such authority to proceed through a light with an actuator:
https://www.bikexprt.com/bicycle/actuator.htm
THIS. Tried it for the first time today, and it worked EVERY TIME. No more walking over to the ped button for me~
Old 08-12-11, 01:28 PM
AltheCyclist

Bikes: Many

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Probably depends on your state law. In Colorado, statute reads, "Every person riding a bicycle or electrical assisted bicycle shall have all of the rights and duties applicable to the driver of any other vehicle"

So, no. But, if your light never turns green (i.e. the weight (or usually, induction) sensor doesn't trip because it's a bike), you legally could run it and claim the signal was "defective" (which makes it a 4-way stop). I can't imagine this actually happening, that is, getting a ticket for running an empty intersection, so the debate is likely moot. Personally, I look at common-sense approach to red lights: Stop, if safe to proceed, do so.
Old 08-12-11, 01:29 PM
bigbenaugust 
always rides with luggage

Bikes: 2007 Trek SU100, 2009 Fantom CX, 2012 Fantom Cross Uno, Bakfiets

Liked 20 Times in 17 Posts
In California, it's 3 cycles of the light or three minutes.

On my commute, it is never that empty out there... I never have to wait that long for a car to show up and hit the sensor for me if it doesn't pick me up. But most/all of the lights do.

But if I am out at 5am or something... I never wait the full three minutes if I happen across a light that doesn't detect me.
Previously: 2000 Trek 4500 (2000-2003), 2003 Novara Randonee (2003-2006), 2003 Giant Rainier (2003-2008), 2005 Xootr Swift (2005-2007), 2007 Nashbar 1x9 (2007-2011), 2011 Windsor Shetland (2011-2014), 2008 Citizen Folder (2015)
Non-Bike hardware: MX Linux / BunsenLabs Linux / Raspbian / Mac OS 10.6 / Android 7
Old 08-12-11, 01:32 PM
Seattle Forrest

Liked 10,647 Times in 6,055 Posts
'proceed with caution'
That's what I do from the start. Unless it's not safe to proceed; then I wait until it is.
Old 08-12-11, 01:46 PM
AltheCyclist

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
From the article above:
"For those of us with carbon-fiber composite bikes: metal cranks or rims should be enough to trigger the better actuators. But the long-term answer might include an industry-standardized loop of thin wire built into the bicycle's wheels or frame, or an active electronic device. If the traffic engineers had taken a responsible approach toward bicyclists, they would have foreseen the problem and worked with the bicycle industry to develop a standard solution."

Does this sound stupid? Spending all kind of time/money to engineer a bike-actuator ... or would it make more sense to enact the "Idaho Rule" in every state ?
Old 08-12-11, 01:53 PM
merkong
Cyclist, Runner & TRX'er

Bikes: Steel Bianchi, 29 inch Redline Monocog, a Carbon something someday

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
traffic, not traffic lights, dictate my rides...
Old 08-12-11, 02:11 PM
lostarchitect 
incazzare.

Bikes: See sig

Liked 57 Times in 40 Posts
Originally Posted by bigbenaugust
Are you sure? When I lived in CA, I had to go to traffic school one time (don't ask), and as I was constantly having this problem with my motorcycle, I asked the sheriff instructing the class about it. His response was "turn right." He said I couldn't go though the light no matter how long I waited or how safe it is. I disregarded his advice, of course.
Old 08-12-11, 02:38 PM
Rimmer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you're alone and trying to get across a busy street, try laying your bicycle flat on the pavement with the wheels on the wire at one side.
I'm going to try this to see if it works. I come across a lot of those lights that don't change.
Old 08-12-11, 02:57 PM
AltheCyclist

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Rimmer
I'm going to try this to see if it works. I come across a lot of those lights that don't change.
I'm curious, are there a lot of roads out there that have heavy auto traffic two directions and virtually none from the other directions so that this is a problem?
Usually all four directions are either active or dead so worrying about the actuator is not a problem. I.e. you simply stop, look, and go.
I have seen turn lanes that never actuate and you can easily skip a cycle or two, but then it's easy enough to do a straight-across, then turn at the corner as a work around.
Old 08-12-11, 02:59 PM
sggoodri

Bikes: 1983 Trek 500, 2002 Lemond Zurich, 2023 Litespeed Watia

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
In NC, the rule for motorcyclists is that they must wait three minutes before concluding that the signal is not working (since that's almost always longer than the maximum cycle time) after which the signal may be treated as a stop sign. There is no statute here for bicyclists, but the same logic applies.

At a very busy intersection or one with poor sight lines, it may be impossible to safely proceed without signal protection. This is why it is important for engineers to design and tune signals to detect all vehicle types.

Traffic signals with buried demand actuators use metal detection, not weight, to detect vehicles. These loop detectors use elecromagnetic induction principles based on Lenz's law to detect conductive objects above them. They can easily be adjusted to detect metal bicycle rims. The closest signal to my house will detect an aluminum bicycle rim, with no other metal, placed over the center wire cut, where the alternating electromagnetic field is strongest. I used a nylon bolt to attach an aluminum rim to a piece of wood in order to test this, and to provide my city's public works department with a compact calibration device for bicycle detection.

https://www.humantransport.org/bicycl...nals/green.htm

Last edited by sggoodri; 08-12-11 at 03:07 PM.
Old 08-12-11, 03:02 PM
qualla

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
IANAL but, this seems as if it must be a state by state, or even town-by-town issue. In wisconsin, small vehicles
"...may, after stopping as required under subd. 1. not less than 45 seconds, proceed cautiously through the intersection before the signal turns green if no other vehicles are present at the intersection to actuate the signal and the operator of the motorcycle, moped, motor bicycle, or bicycle reasonably believes the signal is vehicle actuated. "
My impression is that "reasonably" translates to "pretty d*mn sure" - and, sensibly, it only seems to apply if you won't interfere with pedestrians or with traffic that has the green light.
Old 08-12-11, 06:54 PM
Rimmer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by AltheCyclist
I'm curious, are there a lot of roads out there that have heavy auto traffic two directions and virtually none from the other directions so that this is a problem?
Usually all four directions are either active or dead so worrying about the actuator is not a problem. I.e. you simply stop, look, and go.
I have seen turn lanes that never actuate and you can easily skip a cycle or two, but then it's easy enough to do a straight-across, then turn at the corner as a work around.
Yes, I see them. In fact the very first main road from where I live has some sensor whatever it is, but I didn't see the boxes on the pavement. It might be video detection? Today I went a small tour about 18 miles and came across something that looked like this on the pavement before a traffic signal light at a 4-way.

The left and right streets were on a highway with 45mph speed limit I think. Straight ahead was a main road. The other one road had no traffic with a dead end. I didn't try the method, because some truck pulled up along side me. I notice the detectors off of non busy roads that lead to high traffic roads like highways.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
l12.jpg (12.6 KB, 4 views)
Old 08-12-11, 07:08 PM
nashcommguy
nashcommguy

Bikes: Commuters: Fuji Delray road, Fuji Discovery mtb...Touring: Softride Traveler...Road: C-dale SR300

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by merkong
traffic, not traffic lights, dictate my rides...
+1 W/a quick look 'round for any LEOs. Then I treat the stop light like a stop sign. That being said my regular commute routed around stop lights to parallel roads using stop signs. There's only one section where there are more than one TL. Plenty of cars, though so there's never a question of having to wait more than one cycle.
Old 08-12-11, 07:23 PM
bhchdh 

Bikes: '07 Trek 520, '09 Gary Fisher Triton, '04 Trek 8000, '85 Trek 500, '84 Trek 610, '85 Trek 510, '88 Trek 660, '92 Trek 930, Trek Multitrack 700

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Virginia Code 46.2-833 says:

Notwithstanding any other provision of law, if a driver of a motorcycle or moped or a bicycle rider approaches an intersection that is controlled by a traffic light, the driver or rider may proceed through the intersection on a steady red light only if the driver or rider (i) comes to a full and complete stop at the intersection for two complete cycles of the traffic light or for two minutes, whichever is shorter, (ii) exercises due care as provided by law, (iii) otherwise treats the traffic control device as a stop sign, (iv) determines that it is safe to proceed, and (v) yields the right of way to the driver of any vehicle approaching on such other highway from either direction.
"When I hear another express an opinion, which is not mine, I say to myself, He has a right to his opinion, as I to mine; why should I question it. His error does me no injury, and shall I become a Don Quixot to bring all men by force of argument, to one opinion? If a fact be misstated, it is probable he is gratified by a belief of it, and I have no right to deprive him of the gratification."

T. Jefferson
Old 08-12-11, 07:37 PM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Originally Posted by sggoodri
They can easily be adjusted to detect metal bicycle rims. The closest signal to my house will detect an aluminum bicycle rim, with no other metal, placed over the center wire cut, where the alternating electromagnetic field is strongest. I used a nylon bolt to attach an aluminum rim to a piece of wood in order to test this, and to provide my city's public works department with a compact calibration device for bicycle detection.

https://www.humantransport.org/bicycl...nals/green.htm
After reading this link I triggered the recalcitrant left signal on my commute for the first time ever today. Thank you.
Old 08-12-11, 08:35 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Liked 3,657 Times in 2,203 Posts
I have a couple I can trip, most not, on my commute. All have a push button for peds if need be. I proceed when safe or to hit the next light up on green.
Old 08-12-11, 08:51 PM
dscheidt

Liked 18 Times in 14 Posts
Call your city, county, or state highway department. Complain. Get everyone you know who rides through the intersection do the same. Call your city council member's office. Complain. Get everyone you know who rides through the intersection to do the same. Squeeky wheels get greased.
Old 08-12-11, 11:24 PM
jsdavis

Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
The pedestrian buttons will work, but often they are far off to the side and forward some. A hazard I have found is that occasionally one or more cars will pull up to the light as I am waiting for my green and then I have to figure out how to get back into traffic safely. In other situations, it can lead to the dreaded right hook.

More irritating are the intersections where pedestrians are prohibited on one leg of the intersection so proceeding straight means crossing three times.

I really only encounter a few light controlled intersections on my commute and I have successfully tripped most lights. The ones I have the most problem with are the circle shaped loops and the loooong rectangular ones; about the length of two cars or so.
Old 08-13-11, 01:10 AM
kevin_stevens

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bigbenaugust
No.

CVC 21800

(d) (1) The driver of any vehicle approaching an intersection which has official traffic control signals that are inoperative shall stop at the intersection, and may proceed with caution when it is safe to do so.
https://dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d11/vc21800.htm

And, of interest but not really helpful: https://dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d11/vc21450_5.htm

KeS

Last edited by kevin_stevens; 08-13-11 at 01:17 AM.
Old 08-13-11, 01:24 AM
kevin_stevens

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by lostarchitect
Are you sure? When I lived in CA, I had to go to traffic school one time (don't ask), and as I was constantly having this problem with my motorcycle, I asked the sheriff instructing the class about it. His response was "turn right." He said I couldn't go though the light no matter how long I waited or how safe it is. I disregarded his advice, of course.
His answer is BS, anyway. There are many intersections with designated left and right turn lanes, which almost universally have solid white lines separating them. It's illegal to cross those lines to make a right hand turn. *Theoretically* it's not illegal to back up down the street until you are clear of all intersection markings, then change lanes to the right-hand one, pull forward, and turn right; but that's totally impractical and unsafe anywhere but an intersection with no traffic whatever.

The reality is that the signal is inoperative for your vehicle, and most states provide for you to treat it as a stop or yield sign in that case. Cops may write you for it anyway, and to my certain knowledge some cops will lie through their teeth about how long you waited; and it will be up to a judge to decide what to do about it. Yes, I've gotten that ticket in the middle of the night on a motorcycle after waiting over five minutes in a left turn lane. Cop claimed he observed me ride up and do a stop-and-go.

KeS
Old 08-13-11, 08:47 AM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, Alex Moulton AM, Dahon Curl

Liked 1,975 Times in 1,135 Posts
In Texas, if the light does not change you are legally required to wait there astride your cycle/motorbike until the trumpet sounds and time shall be no more.
Old 08-13-11, 11:01 AM
CliftonGK1

Bikes: '08 Surly Cross-Check, 2011 Redline Conquest Pro, 2012 Spesh FSR Comp EVO, 2015 Trek Domane 6.2 disc

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
RCW states 2 cycles of the light and then proceed with caution. I know which lights on my route will and will not trigger for a bicycle, so I follow the "no cop, no foul" rule regarding the intersection. If it's clear when I'm approaching I'll just go right through. Pretty easy to see for cross traffic on a flat straight 1/2 mile sections with no obstructions, at 5am before most people are even awake around here.
Old 08-13-11, 02:00 PM
gamedic

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I pulled up to an intersection on my motorcycle once and waited about five minutes. It was late at night with almost no traffic. I finally decided to go through regardless of the red traffic light. As soon as I was in the intersection a Georgia State Trooper who had been sitting about a hundred yards up the highway in the dark came after me. I still don't know what the Georgia law is.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.