Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Specialized Roubaix Xpert vs. Giant Defy Advanced 1 Please

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-11, 06:46 AM
ThinLine

Bikes: Pedal Force RS2, Canyon, Basso, Tommaso, Rock Racing, Schwinn, SWOBO, Trek

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

OK so for the past 23 years I have been riding (approx. 325 miles/month) a racing geometry type bike. Hunged over position with two major spinal surgerical procedures in the past 5 years.
I want to switch to a plush type geometry of a more upright slightly longer wheelbase machine. I have narrowed my choices to: 1) Specialized Roubaix Expert w/ Ultegra.
2) Giant Defy Advanced 1 also w/ Ultegra.
Any preference, plus or minus's would be greatly appreciated. Not a Trek fan.
Present bikes are a Tomasso Aggriazato w/ Dura Ace/Ultegra and a Pedal Force RS2 w/ SRAM 2010 Force.
Thanks
Old 08-13-11, 04:49 PM
dolbydj 

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I just got a 2012 Defy Composite 3 and it really isn't that plush. You still lean over a lot, it's just the rear wheel is further back. You may want to look at a carbon Cirrus or Rapid considering your back surgeries. Any flat bar bike will be a lot more comfortable.
Old 08-13-11, 05:18 PM
1bluetrek

Bikes: 2015 Giant Advanced Pro 2,Trek 1500, a GT Avalanche and a Mongoose IBOC Comp

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I actually checked out both bikes today, I didnt ride the Specialized, sure looked sweet tho. I did test ride the Defy advanced 1 NICE! (I currently ride a 06 Trek1500) I felt a bit awkward when I got out of the saddle to sprint tho, apparently the switch from a race geometry to upright endurance geometry will take a bit of getting used to.
Old 08-14-11, 06:06 AM
lcrider

Bikes: Pinarello K8-s Campy Super Record EPS

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a Specialized Roubaix Expert that I bought a year ago and I still love it. This was my first road bike, but I ride for exercise and like doing Centuries--not racing. At the time, I wasn't comfortable stretched out in a racing geometry. The Expert came with stem shims that gave me a number of different stem angles. I started out at +16 degrees, but as I became more comfortable on the bike, have flipped it and am now at -8 degrees. The point is that the adjustability was good for my needs as I adapted to the bike. I rode my first century 4 weeks after buying the bike, and found it to be great for that purpose.

The Giant was my other best alternative, but I didn't have one readily available to try, so I never got the chance for an A to B comparison. They look great, though. If you can ride both, I suggest you just get the one that you are most comfortable in.
Old 08-14-11, 11:03 AM
ThinLine

Bikes: Pedal Force RS2, Canyon, Basso, Tommaso, Rock Racing, Schwinn, SWOBO, Trek

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks guys...................Are the gel inserts in the specialized roubaix replaceable, removable?
Maybe different durometer types.
Old 08-14-11, 01:47 PM
NYgreyrider

Bikes: Giant Defy Advanced

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I started cycling after I had L4-S1 fusion and didn't enjoy running anymore. I looked at the Roubaix and the Defy. I went with the a 2010 Giant Defy Advanced 3. I don't ride nearly as much as 300+ miles a month but I do ride as often as I can and have never had any back problems. I honestly can't see anyone being disappointed in either of those two bikes. Good luck.
Old 08-14-11, 03:07 PM
Bosock

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I recently went through the purchasing process for an endurance geometry bike. Liked the Defy, however, went with the Roubaix SL3 as i thought it was just as plush but a bit more racy (stiffer). Another one you can look at is the Cannondale Synapse and the Cervelo RS. They are all great bikes and come down to personal preference i believe. They are all slightly different on the comfort/performance scale. Don't think you can get a bad one out of the bunch.
Old 08-14-11, 03:21 PM
echotraveler

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
i know a couple of guys that ride Defy, those bikes look very sturdy and sleek. Haven't ridden one, but it would be wise to weigh a couple of factors. For example you should have your mechanic near the area, LBS should be reputable.
Either bike is awesome man! I think its gonna be down to what you feel is best, just add a practical twist to it, you'll get it right!