Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Shimano's Road Touring SPD Pedals

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-11, 08:26 PM
dinkjs

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

It looks like they are both a standard pedal and also a clip style pedal...if they are a standard style pedal and not clip does anyone have personal use feedback on these?
Old 08-14-11, 08:55 PM
megalowmatt

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Which model are you referring to?

I use Shimano A520 but there's also the m324. Both are dual purpose.
Old 08-14-11, 09:34 PM
dinkjs

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes the A520...my fault sorry
Old 08-14-11, 09:44 PM
ratell

Liked 37 Times in 27 Posts
I love them. I use them for my commute clipped, but can still hop on my bike to run to the store with regular shoes. They are also nice in stop and go traffic when I'll leave one foot unclipped, and still have a solid platform.
Old 08-14-11, 10:21 PM
waynesworld
Papaya King

Bikes: 2009 Felt X City D, 1985 (?) Trek 400, 1995 (?) Specialized Rockhopper, 1995 Trek 850

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I was going to buy those last week as my first attempt at clipless, but Amazon jacked up the price on me, so I got the M-324s. I really like the M-324s so far.

And yes, if I read your question correctly, both these models are SPD on one side, platform on the other side.
Old 08-14-11, 11:17 PM
mechBgon

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
The downside to these half-and-half designs is that the cornering clearance is pretty bad when you're clipped in. I occasionally scrape a pedal in the corners even without a platform, using double-sided SPDs, so that would be a factor for me. I don't miss having a platform, so I'll stick with double-sided SPDs.
Old 08-14-11, 11:30 PM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Liked 135 Times in 99 Posts
The A520 is fairly narrow and does not impact cornering clearance like the wider M324 but the 324 can be a more comfortable pedal due to it's wider platform.

Much of the comfort stems from the shoes you use... mtb and touring shoes tend to be a little more flexible and walk-able so a wider platform can increase support and comfort while road shoes tend to be stiffer and a narrower pedal is often quite comfortable.

I really like the 324... value is good and the pedal is very smooth and solid as Shimano pedals tend to be.
Old 08-15-11, 04:56 AM
ryanwood

Bikes: surly cross check

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have about 8,000 miles on my m324's and have no complaints. I ride clipped in about 30% of the time. I love the ability to throw on any old shoe and ride across town.
Old 08-15-11, 06:02 AM
tarwheel 

Bikes: Waterford RST-22, Bob Jackson World Tour, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Soma Saga, De Bernardi SL, Specialized Sequoia

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
I use Shimano M-520s and they are great pedals. No complaints at all. Easy to clip in and out of, with just the right amount of float. I haven't had any problems with hot spots using them. Got mine for $50 new on-line and well worth the money.
Old 08-15-11, 02:06 PM
megalowmatt

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
As I mentioned above I have the A520 pedals on my commuter. I originally bought them for my "road" bike when I went clipless for the first time but moved them on the commuter after buying some standard clipless pedals.

Anyway, they have served me well. Some will probably say that the platform side could get slippery when wet because there's not much traction.
Old 08-15-11, 02:17 PM
Seattle Forrest

Liked 10,647 Times in 6,055 Posts
These?

I like mine a lot. But they're not especially comfortable if you're wearing normal/street shoes.
Old 08-15-11, 02:25 PM
tjspiel

Liked 17 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
These?

I like mine a lot. But they're not especially comfortable if you're wearing normal/street shoes.
I've been wondering if folks were really talking about A530 and not the A520.

The A520 is strictly a clipless pedal from what I understand, not platform on one side, clipless on the other.
Old 08-15-11, 03:40 PM
megalowmatt

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tjspiel
I've been wondering if folks were really talking about A530 and not the A520.

The A520 is strictly a clipless pedal from what I understand, not platform on one side, clipless on the other.
You're right...I started the ball rolling in the wrong direction when I asked which model he was referring to and mentioned the A520 pedals.

I am using A530's.
Old 08-15-11, 03:47 PM
SouthFLpix

Bikes: 2007 Giant Cypress DX, Windsor Tourist 2011

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by ryanwood
I have about 8,000 miles on my m324's and have no complaints. I ride clipped in about 30% of the time. I love the ability to throw on any old shoe and ride across town.
I'm another happy m324 user. I'm clipped in most of the time, but it sure is nice to be able to just hop on early morning on a weekend to pick up a fresh croissant at the bakery without having to worry about having the right shoes.
Old 08-16-11, 05:09 AM
asmac

Bikes: Salsa Vaya

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Be sure to check out $20 Shimano type 2 cleats. They clip out in multiple directions and are infinitely safer. Type 1 cleats must be rotated outward to unclip and come with the pedals.
Old 08-16-11, 09:34 AM
Seattle Forrest

Liked 10,647 Times in 6,055 Posts
I'd skip the multi-release cleats. There aren't many things more dangerous than having your foot suddenly leave the pedal when you're not expecting it to - which happens near full exertion (where attention to technique goes out the door) when you're climbing steep hills.
Old 08-16-11, 09:37 AM
mnemia

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
I'd skip the multi-release cleats. There aren't many things more dangerous than having your foot suddenly leave the pedal when you're not expecting it to - which happens near full exertion (where attention to technique goes out the door) when you're climbing steep hills.
I've never had any problems with the multi-release cleats doing that. Unexpected release is probably much more likely to be caused by your pedal tension not being adjusted to be high enough.
Old 08-16-11, 09:48 AM
mechBgon

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
I've never had any problems with the standard single-release cleats either. Shimano SPD pedals can be dialed down to such low retention forces that they basically have no retention at all, if you're a smaller weaker rider. I always have mine at 100% retention.
Old 08-16-11, 10:04 AM
El Gigante

Bikes: Specialized Crossroads Elite, Specialized Trcross Comp

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've had the M-324's for about 3 years and overall am very satisfied with them. They were my first foray into clipless pedals and are super easy to clip in and out of, (if left with the spring set at the lowest tension). I've never had an issue getting out of them - even in "panic stop" situations and dealing with pedestrians doing unexpected things.

That being said, after about 8,000 miles, I am starting to notice a bit of a creaking sound when I'm clipped in to the left side pedal - just enough to be annoying, because it's a sporadic sound which just comes and goes. When I ride on the platform side, its perfectly quiet. I've tried lubing the spring, and I've also taken the bike to two different shops, but no one has been able to pinpoint the problem. Any M324 users ever experience this?

Since I probably ride clipped in about 90% of the time anyway, I'm going to give the Crank Bros. Eggbeaters a try and see how they work out.
Old 08-16-11, 10:32 AM
alan s 

Liked 191 Times in 130 Posts
I use the M324s for winter riding only, when I occasionally wear winter boots and SPDs shoes on other days. The platform side is larger and grippier than the A530s. Also, when riding on snow or ice, riding on the platform side allows my foot to get to the ground faster.

No issue with pedal strikes, probably because I don't pedal during hard cornering and keep the inside pedal up, which is proper cycling technique. However, for general use, they are a bit heavy, so I use dual-sided SPDs most of the time.
Old 08-16-11, 06:34 PM
Mr IGH
afraid of whales

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by asmac
Be sure to check out $20 Shimano type 2 cleats...are infinitely safer. Type 1 cleats must be rotated outward to unclip and come with the pedals.
LOL, "infinitely safer"? I've never had any trouble with the regular cleats on street and on the trails. Maybe you're projecting?
Old 08-16-11, 06:48 PM
asmac

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I suppose it depends and I was referring to commuting use. In my case there's nothing more dangerous than not getting free when surprised in traffic and being forced to a sudden stop when your mind is focused elsewhere (i.e. on the prospect of being creamed). I've never had them release accidentally.
Old 08-16-11, 06:51 PM
asmac

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Projecting? It's unsafe to be stuck to a pedal for one or two seconds in traffic and it can happen too easily and not so LOL. If you have greater skills and this can never happen to you then stick with the 'regular' cleats.
Old 08-16-11, 06:56 PM
Mr IGH
afraid of whales

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
...If you have greater skills and this can never happen to you then stick with the 'regular' cleats.
OK, I will now that you've given me clearance!
Old 08-16-11, 07:56 PM
mechBgon

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Projecting? It's unsafe to be stuck to a pedal for one or two seconds in traffic and it can happen too easily and not so LOL. If you have greater skills and this can never happen to you then stick with the 'regular' cleats.
Actually, if you lower the retention on your pedals to minimum, the retention is basically zero with either cleat. It's a non-issue, at least with genuine Shimano pedals. Can't speak for the knock-off brands.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.