Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

commuting via sidewalk?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

commuting via sidewalk?

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-11, 12:28 PM
tar wheel

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
commuting via sidewalk?

Hello everyone!

I'm new to the forum, and I'd like to start commuting to work here in DC, as we recently moved back to the city. My biking experience is almost exclusively off road, and even that seems like another lifetime ago, so the thought of braving DC streets in rush hour is a bit daunting.

As it turns out, my entire commute will be outside of the "DC Central Business District," which means that I can legally ride on the sidewalk.

My question is, once I'm able to transform my old mountain bike into a commuter, is riding on the sidewalk just as much of a pain as riding on the street, or maybe even more so? I understand that responses will likely vary by geography...but curious as to what your experiences have been, especially you city dwellers that have that option.

Old 08-15-11, 12:35 PM
CACycling

Bikes: 2009 Fuji Roubaix RC; 2011 Fuji Cross 2.0; '92 Diamond Back Ascent EX

Liked 16 Times in 12 Posts
People tend to walk on sidewalks. And there are people walking in both directions on most any given sidewalk. And they tend to walk slow. That is a lot to avoid. Also, at every intersection, you have the potential of a car turning in front of you not expecting something fast coming from the sidewalk. I find the streets safer for all involved.
Old 08-15-11, 12:37 PM
UberGeek

Bikes: Schwinn Tourist (2010), Trek 6000 (1999)

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
It all really depends. A portion of my commute, I ride the sidewalk, only because the road itself is atrocious. But, there is very little ped traffic.

I assume DC has some heavy ped traffic, so it might be just as hellish as the street. Hopefully, a commuter from DC pops up here to help better than I can.
Old 08-15-11, 12:38 PM
Zrane

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's more of a pain, and dangerous for a whole host of reasons.

I'm not morally opposed to popping on the sidewalks briefly in some areas, but for the most part, the road is where you should be. Ride straight, get some lights or hi-viz, stick to the right and basically act like a car.

I use shortcuts and parking lots to avoid big intersections where I have to turn left and feel unsafe. It helps a lot, and once you know the route, you can usually time the traffic for crossing pretty easily.

My ride takes me across a busy overpass at prime time, and I tried riding the sidewalk but found it to be less safe (It's in between the normal lane and a 'texas turn lane'), covered in debris and in worse shape than the road. Plus, I frequently had people cut me off turning onto their ramp. Now, I just get in the right-most non-turn lane(We've got some right turn lanes there) and ride like I'm a car. Haven't been cut off since. Only the occasional too-close pass, at that.
Old 08-15-11, 12:49 PM
alan s 

Liked 191 Times in 130 Posts
Hard to answer without specific route info, but like everyone else already said, generally stay off the sidewalks. DC streets are pretty bike friendly, but you may need to explore a little to find the best route.
Old 08-15-11, 12:49 PM
tar wheel

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by UberGeek
It all really depends. A portion of my commute, I ride the sidewalk, only because the road itself is atrocious. But, there is very little ped traffic.

I assume DC has some heavy ped traffic, so it might be just as hellish as the street. Hopefully, a commuter from DC pops up here to help better than I can.
The sidewalk traffic in this area (the commute itself) isn't too bad, and the sidewalks are relatively wide during this stretch (for the most part). Thanks for the replies everyone, you've made some great points. I may just need to practice a few times on the weekend to overcome any stage fright, so to speak...
Old 08-15-11, 12:51 PM
tar wheel

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by alan s
Hard to answer without specific route info, but like everyone else already said, generally stay off the sidewalks. DC streets are pretty bike friendly, but you may need to explore a little to find the best route.
14th and H NE to 4th and I NW is the route, so about 2 miles, all to the east of Chinatown, mostly on H. Though, that may be adjusted a bit to avoid the hopscotch bridge, which I'm not sure that I'm in shape for...
Old 08-15-11, 12:58 PM
UberGeek

Bikes: Schwinn Tourist (2010), Trek 6000 (1999)

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by tar wheel
The sidewalk traffic in this area (the commute itself) isn't too bad, and the sidewalks are relatively wide during this stretch (for the most part). Thanks for the replies everyone, you've made some great points. I may just need to practice a few times on the weekend to overcome any stage fright, so to speak...
This may not be the case in DC, but I found this weekend, that a weekend commute is very different than a weekday commute
Old 08-15-11, 01:04 PM
tar wheel

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah, it'd be night and day, but I'm not used to riding on the road at all...just a little nervous.
Old 08-15-11, 01:10 PM
Jim from Boston

Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
commuting via sidewalk?

Originally Posted by Zrane
It's more of a pain, and dangerous for a whole host of reasons.

I'm not morally opposed to popping on the sidewalks briefly in some areas, but for the most part, the road is where you should be. Ride straight, get some lights or hi-viz, stick to the right and basically act like a car....
1+, and get a rearvew mirror too; the Take-a-Look eyeglass mounted one is my choice, and I even wear one each on my left and right sides.

This morning on arrival from my cycle commute, a casual cyclist I know spotted my pair. He mentioned he wears one, and commented on my two mirrors, "I guess I'm not as crazy as you are."
Old 08-15-11, 01:24 PM
8Fishes

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Get a pair of 'slick-ish' tires for the MTB and go for the road.

I have done my fair share of sidewalk riding even though it is illegal, and I have to say that you are at the very least responsible for the pedestrians, and making sure that they don't get hit by you. This can very much mean that you'd have to get off the bike and walk with it, which would defeat the reason for having the bike.

What I recommend is stick to the streets as long as you can and you certainly need to plan a new route through less busy streets. Do not think that you'd be able to do a straight shoot route as if you were driving. Since you are new to the area, I recommend at the very least to 'scout' the streets with google maps, and even better if you can go out yourself to take a look around.

Rear view mirrors are great too, but you do need a certain level of nerves to ride along with cars. If you are all over the place and can't hold your wheel straight, sidewalk is a consideration. If you can hold the wheel straight without a problem, you should be good to go. Remember that cars are generally not out to hit you, and will try to avoid you.

But that is my experience from across the coast. I am sure there are a few DC commuters that will chime in.

Last edited by 8Fishes; 08-15-11 at 01:25 PM. Reason: gramma
Old 08-15-11, 01:26 PM
alan s 

Liked 191 Times in 130 Posts
Not familiar with that part of town, but from Google Maps, K Street looks a little quieter.
Old 08-15-11, 01:30 PM
BarracksSi
Bike ≠ Car ≠ Ped.

Bikes: Some bikes. Hell, they're all the same, ain't they?

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by tar wheel
14th and H NE to 4th and I NW is the route, so about 2 miles, all to the east of Chinatown, mostly on H. Though, that may be adjusted a bit to avoid the hopscotch bridge, which I'm not sure that I'm in shape for...
That's kinda my area.

Nah, not necessary to take the sidewalk along most of that route, unless it can get you off of that bridge. Traffic isn't too fast, and sidewalks are more crowded with yard fences and tree planters anyway. You could probably cut your commute time in half by taking the street, too.

If you take the sidewalk, you have to be exceptionally careful at intersections -- not every car drive can see you even if they're looking for you. Also remember that there are many "intersections" between streets -- driveways, front doors, business entrances, alleyways, etc. You can't go 15 mph a few feet away along a block of storefronts without risking blasting into a customer as they step outside with their dry cleaning, for example.

Go riding some more around the area. If you see another cyclist on the street, go where they go (although don't shadow them too much, lest they think you're following them home ). There are so many of us at every hour on DC streets that drivers are already expecting to see you out there, too.
Old 08-15-11, 01:32 PM
tar wheel

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 8Fishes
Remember that cars are generally not out to hit you, and will try to avoid you.
I could use some help paying my student loans...

And yep Alan, my wife suggested K as well. We only have one car, so I always take public transportation, so she knows the roads quite a bit better than I do.
Old 08-15-11, 02:02 PM
8Fishes

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BarracksSi
If you see another cyclist on the street, go where they go (although don't shadow them too much, lest they think you're following them home ).
I thought I was the only one that did this when I feel like exploring and going off route.
I haven't gotten yelled at yet, so I recommend this
Old 08-15-11, 02:05 PM
91MF
i'll probably break it

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
please do not ride your bicycle on the sidewalk. it makes the rest of us look like idiots.

IMHO riding on the sidewalk is completely unacceptable. get off and walk if you are too scared of the road.
Old 08-15-11, 02:25 PM
mikepwagner

Bikes: 2012 Motobecane (BikesDirect) Immortal Force; 2011 (?) Civia Bryant Gates Carbon Belt Drive (upgraded to Alfine 11 and Gates CenterTrack)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use my bike mainly for errands - working up to commuting. Do what makes sense to you - to my way of thinking, personal safety outweigh political "the streets belong to us" campaigns.

It happens that the two main roads most convenient and closest to my house were "widened" by painting in additional lanes, without increasing the width of the actual asphalt. :-) They can be pretty scary in an automobile in any kind of traffic - there is no way I would get on either one on a bike.

There may be some cultural influence as well - from reading these forums, I get the impression that some cities may be pretty "bike friendly", but I don't live in any of them.

Be safe,
Old 08-15-11, 02:36 PM
tar wheel

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
DC is certainly heading in the "bike friendly" direction, with dedicated bike lanes now on many downtown streets, though none on my commute that I know of...
Old 08-15-11, 03:23 PM
Zrane

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mikepwagner
I use my bike mainly for errands - working up to commuting. Do what makes sense to you - to my way of thinking, personal safety outweigh political "the streets belong to us" campaigns.

It happens that the two main roads most convenient and closest to my house were "widened" by painting in additional lanes, without increasing the width of the actual asphalt. :-) They can be pretty scary in an automobile in any kind of traffic - there is no way I would get on either one on a bike.

There may be some cultural influence as well - from reading these forums, I get the impression that some cities may be pretty "bike friendly", but I don't live in any of them.

Be safe,
I do not live in a bike friendly city. It may even be classified as bike-hostile. The solution to your problem is don't take the main roads. I ride a residential street most of the way, and just cross the main roads.

I do certainly understand not feeling safe on main roads, but sidewalks are often a less than optimal solution. Find side routes, they're usually prettier, too!
Old 08-15-11, 03:29 PM
uRabbit

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Remember the key to cycling safety when it comes to those around you - VISIBILITY. As a driver, I can guarantee you that I see cyclists better on streets than I do on sidewalks. Maybe it is because I believe that is where they belong. SideWALKS are no place for fast-moving vehicles. In fact, I caught a jerk coasting the sidewalk in my neighbourhood on a Frankenstein and told him if I am ever pulling out of my drive while he is on the sidewalk, I will not yield to him.

I am quite outwardly spoken when it comes to safety. I will even slow down to tell people on scooters to put helmets on, like the couple I saw on one with their helmets dangling off the sides.
Old 08-15-11, 04:42 PM
91MF
i'll probably break it

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Zrane
I do not live in a bike friendly city. It may even be classified as bike-hostile.

this.

----

we know the dangers of riding on the street, just like kids know the dangers of playing in the street. do you think the average child is aware of the dangers of playing on the sidewalk? that you are just cruising along at 17km/h around the side of this bush on the corner? crash.

why dont you just throw a 5 year old out of a moving car? its literally the same. they could be killed.

an old lady was killed near my work last summer because some idiot hit her on his MTB.

get on the road.
Old 08-15-11, 09:10 PM
Loose Chain

Bikes: 84 Pinarello Trevisio, 86 Guerciotti SLX, 96 Specialized Stumpjumper, 2010 Surly Cross Check, 88 Centurion Prestige, 73 Raleigh Sports, GT Force, Bridgestone MB4

Liked 71 Times in 56 Posts
I will jump on a sidewalk sometimes for a short distance if it serves my progress but in general riding a bicycle on a sidewalk is a bad idea, you are better off on the road and learning defensive techniques rather than forcing the pedestrians to lean defensive techniques.
Old 08-15-11, 09:13 PM
Loose Chain

Bikes: 84 Pinarello Trevisio, 86 Guerciotti SLX, 96 Specialized Stumpjumper, 2010 Surly Cross Check, 88 Centurion Prestige, 73 Raleigh Sports, GT Force, Bridgestone MB4

Liked 71 Times in 56 Posts
Originally Posted by uRabbit
I am quite outwardly spoken when it comes to safety. I will even slow down to tell people on scooters to put helmets on, like the couple I saw on one with their helmets dangling off the sides.
I know you did not really mean this but running over somebody to prove a point is not being nice.

Not all states require helmets for motorcycles and scooters and there are those who have valid points for not wearing them, same for bicycles.
Old 08-15-11, 09:16 PM
SouthFLpix

Bikes: 2007 Giant Cypress DX, Windsor Tourist 2011

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
^^^

Correct. In Florida you are not required to wear a helmet on a motorcycle or scooter. It was put up for a vote and the people decided (wisely, imo) that it's your own personal decision if you want to wear a helmet or not, and the state should stay out of it.
Old 08-15-11, 09:40 PM
91MF
i'll probably break it

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
not wearing a helmet while on a bike is a selfish decision. I owe it to my kids to put on a helmet when on my bike and to not put one on would be pathetic and strictly fashion.

so this thread is about riding on the sidewalk without a helmet. absolute stupidity. I'll see myself out.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.