Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Shoes/Soles?

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-11, 06:14 AM
buffalo_cody

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Shoes/Soles?

Any recommendations on particular shoes that work well for cross, or particular things to look for when shopping around for shoes?

I attempted my first group 'cross ride/practice the other day, and besides realizing that I need to get in way better shape, I realized my shoes really suck. I own the Six Six One Expert Mt. Shoe, and have mostly used them for spin classes, and road rides. For cross they were impossible to run in (too loose?), and when remounting they kept sliding all over the pedal (in bone dry conditions) since most of the sole is just smooth flat plastic. I was thinking of purchasing something similar to my Keen Springwaters that I use for commuting that have more of a soft sneaker sole with a recessed cleat, but I'm concerned that once I'm actually in muddy conditions the recessed cleat will get completely packed full of mud. Thoughts? Any particular shoes that are good middle ground? Low prices would also be good, and I'm not too concerned about weight at this point.

I should also add I use SPD pedals.

Thanks

Last edited by buffalo_cody; 08-19-11 at 07:49 AM.