Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Any Ideas on Finding a Classic Brit-Style Saddle Bag?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-11, 10:53 AM
duceditor
Oldie but Newbie

Bikes: 1969 Raleigh Sprite

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Funny how things one once took for granted -- that they'd always be around! -- can suddenly become so hard to find.

OK, maybe I shouldn't say "suddenly" -- heck, I've been away from bicycling for a long, long time. 30 Years! But now with my (and my wife's) 1969 and 1967 respectively Raleighs back in regular use, I SO MUCH want to find the type of saddle bag that almost everyone once had hanging off their Brooks B17.

Somebody? Anybody? An idea please!

-don
Old 08-24-11, 11:03 AM
randyjawa 

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Quoted: 1381 Post(s)
Liked 1,771 Times in 949 Posts
In you seek saddle bags through Ebay, focusing on the Vintage Bicycles section, you will run across one or two from time to time. Not an unusual item to see there. You can also have a look at Collectibles/Transportation/Bicycles for another opportunity to find the bags.

Have a look at this one on Ebay

Hope this is a help.
Old 08-24-11, 11:07 AM
frenchbikefan

Bikes: Miyata 110, Schwinn super le tour 12.2, Schwinn super sport, Lemond Zurich

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
https://www.etsy.com/listing/66022413...ag?ref=pr_shop I like the way these look, but not vintage and maybe not exactly what you are looking for
Old 08-24-11, 11:07 AM
Maddox
Ride heavy metal.

Bikes: '74 Raleigh LTD-3, '76 Motobecane Grand Jubile, '83 Fuji TSIII (customized commuter), '10 Mercier Kilo WT (fixed obsession), '83 Bianchi Alloro, '92 Bridgestone MB-1 (project), '83 Specialized Expedition (project), '79 Peugeot UO-8 (sold)

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
There's a lot of options that resemble the old black vinyl "leather-looking" bags, but I'd just as soon go with a modern treated Cotton-design or something similar. The nicest out there are Acorn, Zimbale, Brooks England, or Carradice bags -- all of which will be around $100 on sale.

I have a Minnehaha bag, and it does the job. Not as nice or as bombproof as a Carradice, but still a great bag for lighter loads.

To get a real genuine vinyl Brooks or Raleigh bag however, you'll probably need to know someone who has some lying around, or scour Ebay and Craigslist.
Old 08-24-11, 11:08 AM
blaise_f

Bikes: Surly Trucker

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've seen vintage Brooks trunk bags go for 30-40 USD on eBay recently. Otherwise, you're probably looking at something custom-made.
Old 08-24-11, 11:10 AM
duceditor
Oldie but Newbie

Bikes: 1969 Raleigh Sprite

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks Randyjawa. I have searched as you've said and even come upon that particular vendor.

That bag is pretty much what I have in mind, although it appears a bit large. Also, FWIW, seeing the vendor's line of supposed NOS I've become convinced that they are spinoffs, but for instance "Brooks" as this one says. But I'll certainly keep looking as you suggest.

-don
Old 08-24-11, 11:11 AM
TheOtherGuy
Knows Bigfoot's Momma

Bikes: yeah; got a couple...

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by duceditor
...I SO MUCH want to find the type of saddle bag that almost everyone once had hanging off their Brooks B17.

Somebody? Anybody? An idea please!

-don
Evil EBAY.
Old 08-24-11, 11:24 AM
mkeller234
Rustbelt Rider

Bikes: 1990 Trek 1420 - 1978 Raleigh Professional - 1973 Schwinn Collegiate - 1974 Schwinn Suburban

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked 372 Times in 177 Posts
I've got a generic one that I can sell for 10 dollars. It's not a high quality bag but it looks the part I guess. The straps to hang it did not hold up so I used old toe clip straps to do the job.

Here it is on my bicycle last year:

"(@)'(@)"""''"**|(@)(@)*****''(@)

Last edited by mkeller234; 08-24-11 at 11:47 AM.
Old 08-24-11, 11:31 AM
ScottRyder 
Photographer

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked 98 Times in 53 Posts
I bought a Brooks Glenbrook saddlebag a few years ago from eBay. I lucked out, it seemed to fly under the radar and I got it fairly inexpensive. Nicer quality than I expected too.

Scott

IG @scottryder.surf.cycle
IG @scottryder.fine.art

Old 08-24-11, 12:39 PM
blaise_f

Bikes: Surly Trucker

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Scottryder
I bought a Brooks Glenbrook saddlebag a few years ago from eBay. I lucked out, it seemed to fly under the radar and I got it fairly inexpensive. Nicer quality than I expected too.

Scott
They have gone fairly cheap for a while - the modern reproduction is only $100 new, which keeps the price of the older ones down (even if they were made better!). I use a vintage one and absolutely love it.
Old 08-24-11, 12:57 PM
Mike Mills

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Get a new one from a Brooks retailer, or order one from Brooks. I offer that with great sincerity, as I was recently disappointed buying an imitation saddle bag. It cost almost as much but wasn't anywhere near as good.

Last edited by Mike Mills; 08-24-11 at 01:03 PM.
Old 08-24-11, 01:53 PM
bbattle

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 5.2, 1985 Pinarello Treviso, 1990 Gardin Shred, 2006 Bianchi San Jose

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 14 Posts
Acorn always seems to be out of stock and when stock does come in, it's gone in a day.

If you e-mail them, they will provide you a paypal link to prepay for your order. Preordering guarantees you'll get what you want.

I'm waiting on a tubular bag for my Pinarello and a handlebar bag for my commuter.

https://www.acornbags.com/products.html
Old 08-24-11, 04:10 PM
AZORCH

Bikes: 1966 Paramount | 1971 Raleigh International | ca. 1970 Bernard Carre | 1989 Waterford Paramount | 2012 Boulder Brevet | 2019 Specialized Diverge

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 41 Posts
Check out Carradice. I love their quality and I can't speak highly enough of the people there either. Contacted them earlier this year and a nice woman named Maggie dealt with my issue immediately and personally.

I just picked up a vintage Carradice saddle bag from the CR list; it arrived today and I'm tickled pink: vintage look, kind of road weary, but looks like it should last just about forever.
Old 08-24-11, 04:27 PM
Mike Mills

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by bbattle
Acorn always seems to be out of stock and when stock does come in, it's gone in a day.

If you e-mail them, they will provide you a paypal link to prepay for your order.

https://www.acornbags.com/products.html

Gone in 60 seconds is more like it! Inventory does not last even a tiny fraction of a day there.

I don't do Paypal, any more. Is that the only method they accept for prepayment? I've been trying for over a year now with no luck. That's why I bought the alternative product with which I am not happy. <whine, whine, whine>

Last edited by Mike Mills; 08-24-11 at 04:32 PM.
Old 08-24-11, 05:14 PM
wahoonc
Membership Not Required

Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts
Carradice and Brooks still make vintage style bags today, I have both and they are of decent quality and are usually fairly easy to source. I usually buy direct from the manufacturer, possibly SJS Cycles or Wallingford Bicycle. The prices seem high, but this is one case where you get what you pay for, and they will last, unlike some cheaper knock offs.

Aaron

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

"Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

"Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred
Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
_krazygluon
Old 08-24-11, 07:36 PM
gna
Count Orlok Member

Bikes: Raleigh Sports, Raleigh Twenty, Raleigh Wyoming, Raleigh DL1, Schwinn Winter Bike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 97 Posts
I think forum member Zaphod Beeblebrox is selling saddlebags under the name Alario Accessories.
Old 08-24-11, 07:59 PM
Velognome 
Get off my lawn!

Bikes: 1917 Loomis, 1923 Rudge, 1930 Hercules Renown, 1947 Mclean, 1948 JA Holland, 1955 Hetchins, 1957 Carlton Flyer, 1962 Raleigh Sport, 1978&81 Raleigh Gomp GS', 2010 Raliegh Clubman

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked 98 Times in 48 Posts
The large Acorn bag has a very "vintage British" look to it. I snagged a leather raleigh clubman bag NOS off eBay.uk a few years back, was the only bidder. The uk site usually has a good selection of ratty old bicycle bags.
Old 08-24-11, 09:12 PM
buldogge

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Acorn bags (black) go on sale tomorrow morning FWIW...
Old 08-24-11, 09:22 PM
bernardmarx
Hair Club Member

Bikes: '86 Miyata 310 '78 Raleigh Sports 3-Speed

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wiggle (UK) has them reasonably cheap from time to time. They also have Brooks B17s at competitive prices. You can usually get (new) Brooks items from them cheaper than any U.S. source in my (limited) experience.
Old 08-24-11, 09:56 PM
southpawboston

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 89 Posts
I have the same bag that mkeller showed on his Raleigh. I got it at from a local shop, Menotomy Bikes (aka oldroads.com), for $12. They had a bunch. They're NOS but smell musty from years of storage. They're cheap vinyl, but as mkeller pointed out, they at least look the part.

You could also consider a new Carradice Barley saddlebag, in black. They're British-made, just like your Raleigh, and they're quite classic looking. When Wiggle.co.uk has them in stock, they're in the $40-50 range. And you get free shipping when you order $75 worth of stuff. Get a new Brooks saddle while you're at it!

Last edited by southpawboston; 08-24-11 at 10:01 PM.
Old 08-24-11, 10:05 PM
frenchbikefan

Bikes: Miyata 110, Schwinn super le tour 12.2, Schwinn super sport, Lemond Zurich

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Acorn is great they have always been very helpful and fulfill my order even if I need something a little off. Need a little more width on the drop bar wrap? no problem, oh need it in honey? also no problem.