Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

What CX tire for winter riding (50/50 paved/gravel)

Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-11, 09:06 AM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts

I'm consider a CX tire, like the Schwalbe Pro Light for winter riding when the weather is mild. I'll have a studded tire for icy surfaces, but would like to use another tire for those days when the pavement or gravel paths are frozen, but not icy.

What tire would you use for winter road & gravel on milder days?
When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.
Old 10-30-11, 12:59 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,360 Times in 866 Posts
I have a pair of WTB Allterrainasaurus tires , they were $20 a piece, no puncture resistant belt, for that $. tread blocks slow the rolling, as they move,
but they are closely spaced to be fine on pavement, some texture for when it ends,
and long wearing.

Better, Continental Travel Contact is a good tire ,
they are made for adventure Touring, smooth with a row of knobs on the edges .
for unimproved roads, only 700c width is 37. K belt , 'gatorskin' sidewalls.

I had a 26" 1.75 wide pair on my Koga Trekking bike , I used year around out here, for years,
but for the occasional freeze-up.

Last edited by fietsbob; 10-30-11 at 01:04 PM.
Old 10-30-11, 01:42 PM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Originally Posted by fietsbob
I have a pair of WTB Allterrainasaurus tires , they were $20 a piece, no puncture resistant belt, for that $. tread blocks slow the rolling, as they move,
but they are closely spaced to be fine on pavement, some texture for when it ends,
and long wearing.

Better, Continental Travel Contact is a good tire ,
they are made for adventure Touring, smooth with a row of knobs on the edges .
for unimproved roads, only 700c width is 37. K belt , 'gatorskin' sidewalls.

I had a 26" 1.75 wide pair on my Koga Trekking bike , I used year around out here, for years,
but for the occasional freeze-up.
I like the Travel Contact since it could be used year-around, on-road or off. However, do they work well on wet gravel with some silt?

The Allterrainasaurus is more specialized, but would be ideal on gravel year-around. I would worry about flats, but could use a liner that I already own.

What about the Kendra Happy Medium? Not a touring tire but is should be a fast as a gravel grinder tire?!?
When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.
Old 10-30-11, 03:44 PM
kerley

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have used Travel Contacts for over a year (same pair and VERY puncture resistant) I use them in all weathers and find them fine in loose gravel but they are not much use in mud and a bit of concentration is required when hitting areas of mud (although most 32c tyres will struggle - I say 32c because they are no where near the claimed 37c and are just under 32 wide and around 31 high)
They do roll very well on the road, just need a bit of caution on very fast road bends if tempted to lean over a lot,
Old 03-06-12, 11:20 AM
gregnash

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So what did you end up getting? I am in the same boat as I just picked up a 2009 Kona Jake as my commuter bike but I would like to throw in some of the gravel fireroads and more buff singletrack near me. I was thinking of the All Terrainasaurus but damn are they heavy, maybe the Kenda Small Block 8 or Slant Six?
Old 03-06-12, 12:20 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,360 Times in 866 Posts
For Deep Mud you might just need a proper Cyclocross Race tire,
... if there is more than just the occasional puddle.

there your Momentum will carry you through, so tire choice
is what the overwhelming majority of the path is.

but they, Mud tread Cross tires, are less good on hard Pavement.

you might just have to change tires, as conditions require, thru-out the year.
OP seems to grasp that..

Last edited by fietsbob; 03-06-12 at 12:28 PM.
Old 03-06-12, 12:36 PM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Originally Posted by gregnash
So what did you end up getting? I am in the same boat as I just picked up a 2009 Kona Jake as my commuter bike but I would like to throw in some of the gravel fireroads and more buff singletrack near me. I was thinking of the All Terrainasaurus but damn are they heavy, maybe the Kenda Small Block 8 or Slant Six?
I went with the Schwalbe Marathon Cross. It's a 700x38 size. This is a great four-season and mixed surface tire. I also purchased the studded Marathon Winter, but never used them this winter. The Schwalbe Marathon Cross was great on ice and snow as long as the route is flat. Plenty of stop and go traction. I avoided leaning the bike while taking turns and was very careful on off-camber pavement. I would not want to use the tire on re-frozen icy or rutted snowpack, but for a normal layer of new or crusty snow, it was very good.

I also like the tire on gravel. If the gravel is smooth and dry, the tire is very fast. If the gravel is wet, the tire is predictable with no real issues. The tire is also good enough, but not great, on pavement. Wet pavement is excellent and the tire does not feel slow on dry pavement. I could hold 20 mph on flat windless streets, just a little slower than a slick tire in a 700x32 size.

If I'm going for a long 50 mile road ride, I like the 700x32 Vittoria Randonneur Hyper. But for everything else, the Schwalbe Marathon Cross is great. It was also moderately priced.

All of these conditions were traveled on the Schwalbe Marathon Cross;

Last edited by Barrettscv; 03-06-12 at 01:09 PM.
Old 03-08-12, 12:08 PM
CliftonGK1

Bikes: '08 Surly Cross-Check, 2011 Redline Conquest Pro, 2012 Spesh FSR Comp EVO, 2015 Trek Domane 6.2 disc

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
and long wearing.
I've used both the 38mm and 32mm version of this tire to good effect in snowy conditions. I picked mine up on sale for under $15 each (one pair at BikeTiresDirect, one pair at Nashbar). The WTB Pathway might also work for you; narrow chevron tread that will have some grip in the snow and mud but still roll OK on pavement.
Old 03-13-12, 11:29 AM
joshpants

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ritchey Speedmaxes are cheap and a pretty versatile tire.
I swapped out to a more mud-friendly tire during the later part of the actual race season but have gone back to the speedmaxes for now.
They wear like crazy. I've got several road centuries on them and they still look new!