Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Wrapping bars - cloth tape, no hoods

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-11, 12:04 PM
Alan@TreeFort

Bikes: 2010 Niner EMD, 2008 Surly Steamroller, 2007 Giant OCR.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey folks. Tried searching the web and the forum for some help on this but to no avail.

I'm restoring a 65 Cinelli SC (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...y-this-Cinelli!) and am about to wrap up the bars. It uses cloth tape, and has no brake hoods, of course. They are standard Universal levers. I guess I could just have at it and wrap it up like I'm used to wrapping modern road bikes, but want to make sure I'm doing this the right way. Is there a "proper" way to wrap bars that use cloth tape and brake levers with no hoods? If so, anybody know of any tutorials?

Thanks.
Old 11-07-11, 12:12 PM
rootboy 

Liked 133 Times in 79 Posts
Huh oh Alan. You're dredging up a subject again that, while shouldn't, generates a lot of controversy. Top down. Bottom up. This way, that way. I don't know why some folks have such strong opinions on this.
Now...here is how you MUST DO IT !
Just kidding. I would just do it how you know , with maybe a wrap around the base of the lever next to the bar, as on Aixaix's recent thread on his Cinelli re-paint. That looks pretty cool. There's lots of threads on here regarding wrapping bars.
Can't wait to see this baby all cleaned up !
Old 11-07-11, 12:18 PM
Alan@TreeFort

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rootboy
Huh oh Alan. You're dredging up a subject again that, while shouldn't, generates a lot of controversy. Top down. Bottom up. This way, that way. I don't know why some folks have such strong opinions on this.
Now...here is how you MUST DO IT !
Just kidding. I would just do it how you know , with maybe a wrap around the base of the lever next to the bar, as on Aixaix's recent thread on his Cinelli re-paint. That looks pretty cool. There's lots of threads on here regarding wrapping bars.
Can't wait to see this baby all cleaned up !
Haha ok I understand.

Yep, getting pretty close. Most stuff is clean, need to rebuild one of the wheels (I stupidly oriented the hub in the wrong direction, logo reads from the front of the bike instead of the back), treat the interior of the frame, mount the tires, and reassemble everything. I'm thinking it'll be about another month or so, just in time for December in Michigan lol.
Old 11-07-11, 12:22 PM
Alan Edwards

Bikes: 84' Ciocc, 79' Shogun 1000, 76' KHS Gran Sport, 96' Schwinn Super Sport,

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just make sure you wrap around the brake lever and cover up the gap between the lever body and the bar. You know the figure "8" around the lever ??? Some make an extra wrap around the lever body.
Old 11-07-11, 12:25 PM
dbakl

Bikes: Cinelli, Paramount, Raleigh, Carlton, Zeus, Gemniani, Frejus, Legnano, Pinarello, Falcon

Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Alan@TreeFort
Haha ok I understand.

need to rebuild one of the wheels (I stupidly oriented the hub in the wrong direction, logo reads from the front of the bike instead of the back)
Can't you just switch the QR side to side and spin the wheel?

For what its worth, we did cloth top down in the 70s, held with the plugs, but bottom up seems better these days. Wrap the base of the lever cris-cross then once around square if no hoods (Universal hoods on ebay or repro, but pricey).
Old 11-07-11, 12:38 PM
Ex Pres 
Cat 6

Liked 184 Times in 119 Posts
Just something to think about - on my last cloth job I put down a layer of old inner tube first, then clothed over it. The tube adds just a little padding, and some in size/diameter, which I find more comfortable. I don't find that it makes the bars look clunky, either. YMMV.

72 Frejus (for sale), Holdsworth Record (for sale), special CNC & Gitane Interclub / 74 Italvega NR (for sale) / c80 French / 82 Raleigh Intl MkII f&f (for sale)/ 83 Trek 620 (for sale)/ 84 Bruce Gordon Chinook (for sale)/ 85 Ron Cooper / 87 Centurion IM MV (for sale) / 03 Casati Dardo / 08 BF IRO / 09 Dogma FPX / 09 Giant TCX0 / 10 Vassago Fisticuff

Last edited by Ex Pres; 11-07-11 at 12:47 PM.
Old 11-07-11, 12:41 PM
Alan@TreeFort

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dbakl
Can't you just switch the QR side to side and spin the wheel?
Then the logo on the rim faces towards the non-drive side instead of the drive. *face palm*
Old 11-07-11, 12:53 PM
rootboy 

Alan. Just took a look at your Cinelli thread again and saw your wheels. Have to say, outstanding looking. Yeah, Universal hoods that just ended on ebay Sunday went for fifty bucks. Seems to be the going price when you can find them. Pricey is right. At the risk of taking one side or the other, I'll put in with dbakl. I always used to wrap top down cause that's how I learned it, but I recently did my first ever bottom up wrap and finished it off up top with fine crochet thread. Not sure what period correct would be for finishing the wrap on top and will leave that to those more knowledgable. What have you got for bar end plugs ? FWIW I recently found some plain steel caps at the hardware store that were meant for finishing tubing. Slightly domed. Wanted to replace the oh-so French white Velox plugs I originally used on my Frejus with something else. The plain steel caps worked fine and look understated.
Old 11-07-11, 01:01 PM
rootboy 

oops. correction. Sorry Alan, it wasn't Aixaix's Cinelli where I saw the lever wrap. different bike,...somewhere.
Old 11-07-11, 01:01 PM
randyjawa 

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

Liked 1,804 Times in 966 Posts
This is how I did the hoodless Universal brake lever bodies on my Torpado Five Speed...
Old 11-07-11, 01:19 PM
rootboy 

Since we're posting a few pics, this is how I finished mine off Alan. FWIW.
Old 11-07-11, 01:32 PM
Alan@TreeFort

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ok, so is electrical tape pretty standard? Of course I always use it my current bikes, but wasn't sure about whats PC for the vintage stuff.
Old 11-07-11, 02:53 PM
Doohickie
You gonna eat that?

Bikes: 1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS

Liked 74 Times in 49 Posts
Vintage? Wrap from the middle, out to the ends, and use the end caps to hold the ends on. No adhesive tape needed. I never heard of using adhesive tape to finish handlebar tape as a kid, then when I started riding again in 2008, everyone was using tape.

I think starting from the ends and working in started when people started using gel tape or padded tape or whatever. When the tape is spongy, you tend to peel up the edges of the spiraled tape if it's wrapped old style. I think that's why it changed. When you wrap it ending in the middle, you tend to push the edges of the spiraled tape down.

Case in point: Vinyl bar tape on a Schwinn Varsity I pulled out of the city dump. I believe it was the original handlebar wrap from 1973.

Originally Posted by bragi "However, it's never a good idea to overgeneralize."

Last edited by Doohickie; 11-07-11 at 02:58 PM.
Old 11-07-11, 03:24 PM
Alan@TreeFort

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Doohickie
Vintage? Wrap from the middle, out to the ends, and use the end caps to hold the ends on. No adhesive tape needed. I never heard of using adhesive tape to finish handlebar tape as a kid, then when I started riding again in 2008, everyone was using tape.

I think starting from the ends and working in started when people started using gel tape or padded tape or whatever. When the tape is spongy, you tend to peel up the edges of the spiraled tape if it's wrapped old style. I think that's why it changed. When you wrap it ending in the middle, you tend to push the edges of the spiraled tape down.
Awesome, exactly what I needed! I never like the look of finishing off the bar with tape, but like you said its required with gel tape because it will peel up if not oriented correctly.

So do you cut the roll in half? Or do you need 4 rolls of cotton tape? :-O
Old 11-07-11, 03:35 PM
Alan@TreeFort

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Awesome, exactly what I needed! I never like the look of finishing off the bar with tape, but like you said its required with gel tape because it will peel up if not oriented correctly.

Upon using my brain a little more, I suppose you don't need to cut the roll - just start it halfway up the roll at the middle of the bar. Yes?
Old 11-07-11, 03:36 PM
khatfull
FBoD Member at Large

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Two rolls, one per side. Newbaums is great to wrap with and is very comfortably long.

Cushy for cloth too, I love it.

And tape looks good sometimes if you work at it:

Old 11-07-11, 03:42 PM
Capecodder

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
One roll per side.....
Old 11-07-11, 03:43 PM
ColonelJLloyd 

Liked 13 Times in 10 Posts
For 60s era bikes I prefer the look of cotton for sure and almost always without shellac, or at most one coat. Wrapping some tape around the levers as randyjawa shows is how I like to do it. Cut one or two 2" pieces from each roll and use to prevent voids/gaps in your wrap behind the levers (cover up the clamp). I recommend Newbaum's as well because it is thicker, but more importantly, longer than Tressotar.

I wrap from the bottom up.
Old 11-07-11, 05:58 PM
rootboy 

Ditto on the Newbaum's. Very nice stuff and as the Colonel says, that extra length is very handy, especially if you're going to wrap the lever bodies. Their light blue would look very nice on that bike.
Old 11-07-11, 09:21 PM
bibliobob

Bikes: '53/'54 Bianchi CDM, '62ish Altenburger Cinelli Mod B, '69 Rene Herse Competition, '72 Motobecane Grand Record, '73-74 Colnago Super,, '73-74 Cinelli SC, '78ish counterfeit Confente, '82 Medici Gran Turismo, '67ish Mondia Speciale, Eddy Merckx Pro

Liked 303 Times in 100 Posts
A little wood glue will nicely secure the ends of cotton tape....
Old 11-07-11, 09:33 PM
iab

Liked 3,946 Times in 1,439 Posts
These are mine. I say do it however you want.

Old 11-07-11, 10:31 PM
tru

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
https://www.raydobbins.com/molteni_replica/molteni_tip
Old 11-08-11, 06:27 AM
rootboy 

This is how I do it, minus the getting the tape wet step, but the OP doesn't have hoods and needs to wrap over them as in the above photo.
Old 11-08-11, 08:49 AM
dbakl

Bikes: Cinelli, Paramount, Raleigh, Carlton, Zeus, Gemniani, Frejus, Legnano, Pinarello, Falcon

Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts
Ok, so is electrical tape pretty standard? Of course I always use it my current bikes, but wasn't sure about whats PC for the vintage stuff.
I never saw that in the 70s. Both vinyl and cloth wrapped from the top and held with the plugs. As someone said, I think bottom up and electrical tape evolved with padded tape.
Old 11-08-11, 08:50 AM
dbakl

Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by iab
These are mine. I say do it however you want.
Is that a Gloria? Was it at Velo-Retro's meetup in Pasadena one year?

Oh, sorry, I was thinking of this one, remembering the water bottles:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
waterbottles.jpg (48.3 KB, 105 views)

Last edited by dbakl; 11-08-11 at 08:55 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.