Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Recreational & Family
Reload this Page >

Trek Jet 20 for my son?

Search
Notices
Recreational & Family Ride just to ride? Have a family and want to get them into cycling? Drop in here to discuss recreational and family cycling issues.

Trek Jet 20 for my son?

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-11, 11:16 AM
liquidordinary

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Trek Jet 20 for my son?

My son just this summer started enjoying riding. He wants a trek, since that's what I have. He is 50" tall and almost 9 years old. Is the Trek Jet 20 a good fit? If so, how many more inches until he needs a new bike?

I need to mention, I am 180 miles round trip from the closest bike shop and this bike is supposed to be a surprise.
Old 11-09-11, 12:24 PM
ebartom

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
No idea. I would really recommend taking him to go try it out, despite the hurdles. Pack him a large box with a picture of a bike on it or something for surprise, but get him a bike that fits. Returning it would be a PITA, if it's even possible. Make it a special trip with your kid to go pick it out, and use something other than the bike for the surprise. Or just don't tell him where you're going. Take him out to lunch and/or a movie, get a bike, have a blast.
Old 11-12-11, 08:35 AM
NormDeplume

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
My daughter was about that size (she has REALLY long legs) and we found her an xsmall women's bike with 26" wheels. I don't recommend that, as she tried out a *bunch* of bikes before we settled on that and it was a touch big for her at first, but I'm fairly confident that a 20" would be too small for him. I'd be more inclined to go with the MT200 for a 9 yo boy if I weren't sure.
Old 11-12-11, 05:05 PM
beatsrunning

Bikes: Windsor Fens

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
We just got my 7yr old (49") a used Trek 220. It is a 24" wheel. It is a tad too big for him but it took him a day or so to get used to it. It will be good for him since he is growing like a weed.
Old 11-16-11, 01:17 PM
liquidordinary

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the help everyone. As much as I didn't want to drive, I took ebartom's advice and went to the LBS. My son loved the MT200, and as mentioned, the Jet 20 fit well but wouldn't last a year before he would need to move up.