Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Almost got "Doored" today

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-11, 12:37 PM
ParkingTheBus

Bikes: Multiple GIANT bicycles

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I was riding to pick up a package at the post office, when some stupid woman driver opens her door in the middle of traffic without even looking! I nearly missed it, as my hand just edged the door. I gave her a nice variation of swear words and advice until she told me to get on the sidewalk! lol! I rode back to her, told her off (in a nice reasonable manner this time) and rode off. She was silent. Toronto, Canada has a long way to go for cyclists

What is the best way to avoid getting doored? I could have gotten smushed today as there was a bus not to far behind me.
Old 11-09-11, 12:45 PM
Ray R

Bikes: 5 Colnago, 2 Olmo, Bianchi, 4 Austro-Daimler, Merlin, Fisher Tandem, John Waite track tandem, Schwinns, Steyrs, Bill Holland Ti path racer, Chinese prototype FS

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Don't ride in the door zone.
Old 11-09-11, 01:00 PM
BridgeNotTunnel
TortoiseNotHare

Bikes: Giant Escape 2 Hybrid

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Ray R
Don't ride in the door zone.
Yep. I learned this the hard way. I got doored in my first month of cycling to work.

I feel it was sort of a rite of passage in this town.

Since then, I try to imagine the furthest point at which the door could be flung open and ride out side that area, and if that means I need to take the lane. So be it.

When in between tightly packed traffic where space does not allow for a buffer, I reduce my speed greatly so I may be better prepared in the event that someone flings their door open.
Old 11-09-11, 01:08 PM
ParkingTheBus

Bikes: Multiple GIANT bicycles

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Traffic and the lanes are packed so tightly on this portion of Toronto that cyclists have no room on this street; no one does! I was trying my best to ride out as far to the left as possible.
Old 11-09-11, 01:14 PM
DrJerry

Bikes: Trek 800

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I got quite an education as to the way things should be done when I was in Netherlands (Holland) They have bikes separated from auto traffic as much as possible. "Red pavement for bikes" I would like to see other cities/ countries adopt similar things. Many times if you get out of the door zone you are in the heavy truck zone.
Old 11-09-11, 02:03 PM
Glottis

Bikes: Giant CRS 2 (2009)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ParkingTheBus
Traffic and the lanes are packed so tightly on this portion of Toronto that cyclists have no room on this street; no one does! I was trying my best to ride out as far to the left as possible.
If you're not able to ride at least 1.5 meter from parked cars, just go with the flow - ride behind a car. If traffic is too slow, overtake on the left of the first lane to avoid the door zone. Overtake, don't undertake. Or pick a different route.
Old 11-09-11, 02:21 PM
canyoneagle

Bikes: Vassago Moosknuckle Ti 29+ XTR, 90's Merckx Corsa-01 9sp Record, PROJECT: 1954 Frejus SuperCorsa

Liked 157 Times in 75 Posts
Yikes - glad you didn't get doored or pushed in front to a bus.

It sounds lie the street you're describing is a bad choice for a bike - most urban cores have streets that are better than others for biking. Is there a better street 1-2 blocks away?
Old 11-09-11, 05:55 PM
Bob J

Bikes: 2007 Globe City 3.1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I do my best to take the door out with me.
Old 11-09-11, 06:24 PM
I_like_cereal
Fail Boat crewman

Bikes: Reynolds 853 Jamis Quest 1990s

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Best way to not get doored is to take the lane and forget the bike lane. I have to do that here on a couple of streets cause the cars do not care. We also have a law that allows the bike to take the whole lane when necessary.
Old 11-09-11, 06:55 PM
mynameistaken

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
glad you missed it.

If you had hit the door and damaged your bike and her car... who is at fault?
Old 11-09-11, 07:05 PM
weshigh

Bikes: All-City Space Horse!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mynameistaken
glad you missed it.

If you had hit the door and damaged your bike and her car... who is at fault?
I don't know about Canada, but am pretty sure that in most if not all states its the person who opens the door. They are required to open the door safely into the traffic lane. The cyclist will be the one injured or killed though.
Old 11-09-11, 09:48 PM
rex_kramer
Acts 2:38

Bikes: '10 Marin Lucas Valley, '13 Scott Speedster 20

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by weshigh
I don't know about Canada, but am pretty sure that in most if not all states its the person who opens the door. They are required to open the door safely into the traffic lane. The cyclist will be the one injured or killed though.
A friend of mine learned about this the hard way when he flung his door open into traffic and a city bus removed it for him. He'd had it in his head (like a lot of people do) that it's the responsibility of others to watch out for his opening door.