Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Finding new 'old' stock online

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-11, 03:21 PM
dwhitlow

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm starting to think about buying a new carbon frame, and while I can go to my LBS(s) and see what they have for 2010 or 2011 stock, I was wondering if anyone knows of any place online that carries or specializes in 'older' framesets? I don't want to go too far back, hence 2010 or 2011. Just trying to avoid paying a premium by buying a 2012 frame this time of year.

I know I could look at eBay, but was hoping to find a 'real' retailer so I can get a warranty.

I really haven't narrowed down my frame choices yet, so I'm still pretty open to what's out there. Right now, I think I would be interested in Specialized, Colnago, or BMC, but I'm pretty open to others as well. For now, I'm just trying to find out what my options are and narrowing down from there.

Any places outside of Competitive Cyclist or the other 'big' names. (Edited: I should note I don't have anything against CC, RealCyclist, etc. I've just already checked them out.)

Thanks in advance.
-Don

Last edited by dwhitlow; 11-23-11 at 04:49 PM. Reason: Added note about already checking CC and others.
Old 11-23-11, 04:20 PM
Pug
High Modulus

Bikes: Cervelo R3, Ridley X-Night

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not sure whether you consider R&A Cycles to be a "big name", but they have some older frames available under "Closeouts". Be warned, however, that they consider their customers to be their enemy.
Old 11-23-11, 04:27 PM
kayakdiver
ah.... sure.

Bikes: Specialized.... schwinn..... enough to fill my needs..

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Peak Cycles in Golden Colorado puts deep discounts on old/new stock.. With a little creative thinking I saved a considerable amount on my TCR SL3... At this moment you can get the whole bike for the price of the frame from them. They also have other brands discounted as well. Don't really know if this helps but just an idea.
Old 11-23-11, 04:33 PM
Seattle Forrest

Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
A lot of shops have good deals on bikes that have been taking up space for years.
Old 11-23-11, 05:01 PM
dwhitlow

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Pug
Not sure whether you consider R&A Cycles to be a "big name", but they have some older frames available under "Closeouts". Be warned, however, that they consider their customers to be their enemy.
Had no idea this site existed. Seems to be what I had in mind though. Thank you for the link!
Old 11-23-11, 05:10 PM
tagaproject6

Bikes: Wilier Izoard XP (Record);Cinelli Xperience (Force);Specialized Allez (Rival);Bianchi Via Nirone 7 (Centaur); Colnago AC-R Disc;Colnago V1r Limited Edition;De Rosa King 3 Limited(Force 22);DeRosa Merak(Red):Pinarello Dogma 65.1 Hydro(Di2)

Liked 278 Times in 146 Posts
https://www.gvhbikes.com/
Old 11-23-11, 05:37 PM
Herbie53

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Pug
I did not see anything on the site that would make me think that. Why are you saying that?
Old 11-23-11, 05:40 PM
Shimagnolo

Liked 5,646 Times in 2,929 Posts
Originally Posted by Pug
Oh man! NOS 90's Klein frames! If they had my size, I would definitely grab one.
Old 11-23-11, 07:37 PM
Pug
High Modulus

Bikes: Cervelo R3, Ridley X-Night

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Herbie53
I did not see anything on the site that would make me think that. Why are you saying that?

Hah! Yes, their web site is all peaches and cream. Apparently, you have never set foot in the R & A showroom. To whet your appetite I offer some Google reviews. That said, they do have some pretty good deals and I've spent a fair amount of $$$ there. I'm willing to ignore obnoxious conduct in pursuit of a good deal. For those more sensitive, shop elsewhere.