Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Broken Cable Guide

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Broken Cable Guide

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-11, 06:20 AM
wtgrantham

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Broken Cable Guide

Also posted to framebuilders but thought someone here may have some experience

I broke this cable guide in a bike stand and wondering how bad the fix for it is. I would like to preserve the original paint. Is it possible to use one of those micro torches and heat the broken one to remove it then either braze a new one on in the same manner without damaging the paint (except on the guide of course, I have a touch up paint that is close in color to paint the guide) or could the new one be JB Welded into place?

Where can I buy a single matching cable guide?

Old 12-11-11, 08:19 AM
gmt13
Half way there

Bikes: 69 Hercules, 73 Raleigh Sports, 74 Raliegh Competition, 78 Nishiki Professional, 79 Nishiki International, 83 Colnago Super, 83 Viner Junior

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I don't know if anyone has enough magic to braze a new guide without damaging the paint. You could remove the broken one with a file or dremal tool (carefully). I'm afraid your options are to glue another one on or opt for a clamp on guide. This is not a highly stressed part so JB weld just may work fine.

Nova Cycle Supply has most all braze-ons.

https://www.cycle-frames.com/bicycle-...GUIDES-c-1029/

Good luck
Old 12-11-11, 09:29 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Liked 3,482 Times in 1,975 Posts
Yes, they're readily available:

https://www.cycle-frames.com/bicycle-...E-2-LOOPS.html

A fuel/oxygen torch would be best for this job. You will likely want to repaint afterward.
Old 12-11-11, 10:36 AM
illwafer
)) <> ((

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by gmt13
I don't know if anyone has enough magic to braze a new guide without damaging the paint. You could remove the broken one with a file or dremal tool (carefully).
that's the route i would go. i would buy a $3 cable guide/clip and wait for some other reason to get your frame fixed (repaint). you could also pain the clip red...
Old 12-11-11, 11:27 AM
lostarchitect 
incazzare.

Bikes: See sig

Liked 55 Times in 38 Posts
JB weld the old one back on.

I'm half serious, in that I would probably try this, but I would expect it to not work.
Old 12-11-11, 11:55 AM
wtgrantham

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
None of you think I could use one of those Micro Torches to just heat the base of the old guide and bust it loose without scarring the paint? Then if i could do that could I clamp the new guide into place and just heat the base of the new clip enough to run a little silver solder or brass under it to get it to stick also without scarring the paint, or do you think the action of heating the clip will heat the tube too much damaging the paint???
Old 12-11-11, 12:13 PM
gmt13
Half way there

Bikes: 69 Hercules, 73 Raleigh Sports, 74 Raliegh Competition, 78 Nishiki Professional, 79 Nishiki International, 83 Colnago Super, 83 Viner Junior

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
You would have to heat the frame tube to over 1000 degrees F to get the filler metal to flow into the joint. This heat will flow outwards through the tubing damaging the paint. You could get some scrap painted metal and try it to get a sense of what happens. If you could engineer a way to capture this waste heat (say with a liquid nitrogen jacket), you just may pull it off. But then you would have waste much time and materials to verify that it would work.

You are looking at a temp fix now (which may actually last for a while) until you decide that you need a new paint job. You could have just the top tube painted - or maybe find someone who could blend in a touch-up for the area that you mess up while brazing.
Old 12-11-11, 12:26 PM
Capecodder

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by wtgrantham
None of you think I could use one of those Micro Torches to just heat the base of the old guide and bust it loose without scarring the paint? Then if i could do that could I clamp the new guide into place and just heat the base of the new clip enough to run a little silver solder or brass under it to get it to stick also without scarring the paint, or do you think the action of heating the clip will heat the tube too much damaging the paint???
NO! You can't use a Micro torch without paint damage......

As stated above, remove the broken guide with a fileor Dremel then clean the are really good with Acetone. Replace the new guide with JB Weld and let it cure for at least 24 hours, and it will be fine. I've sealed diesel engine blocks with this stuff, it will hold a cable guide.
Old 12-11-11, 12:34 PM
wtgrantham

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
OK you convinced me! That is going to be my first approach.
Thanks for all advice!
Old 12-11-11, 05:12 PM
gmt13
Half way there

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Good luck.

And if you have a chance - please post some pics of the result.

-G