Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Recumbent
Reload this Page >

Look What Followed Me Home

Search
Notices
Recumbent What IS that thing?! Recumbents may be odd looking, but they have many advantages over a "wedgie" bicycle. Discuss the in's and out's recumbent lifestyle in the recumbent forum.

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-12, 02:34 PM
Capecodder

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

I went to look at the Burley Canto, and the Catrike Pocket this morning and this is what came home with me.

It's pretty much loaded with everything I need. It came with the rear rack, bag, new tires and tubes installed, tool kit, bottle holders, lights, mirror, bar extentions, headrest, flag and fenders. the seller threw in two new tubes as well.

I'm not sure of the year maybe 03 but the seller could not remember the exact year he bought it. It's pretty fast and comfortable. I thought it might be too small but it's just right. I only have the boom extended 1/2" from fully closed (I have short legs). I think I'm going to have some fun this spring. I took it for a five mile ride today but it's a bit cold. Well, here it is.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Last edited by Capecodder; 01-08-12 at 08:05 PM.
Old 01-08-12, 02:37 PM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Liked 1,279 Times in 647 Posts
Is the rear wheel smaller than the front ones?

Old 01-08-12, 02:48 PM
dave5339

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro 700C, Rans Seavo tandem, Giant OCR-2 & a Specialized Rockhopper

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nice ride! You should have some fun on that.

Semper Fi
Old 01-08-12, 02:51 PM
Capecodder

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 10 Wheels
Is the rear wheel smaller than the front ones?
No it must me the angle of the photo.
Old 01-08-12, 02:54 PM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Liked 1,279 Times in 647 Posts
I like the bars...never seen some like that.

Old 01-08-12, 02:56 PM
Capecodder

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I like them too, but I have nothing to compare them to as this is my first trike
Old 01-08-12, 05:16 PM
Dudelsack 

Bikes: Lectric Xpedition.

Liked 96 Times in 46 Posts
Awesome bike! Wave of the future. I'm guessing it's not very twitchy at slow speeds

Old 01-08-12, 06:31 PM
Capecodder

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Dudelsack
Awesome bike! Wave of the future. I'm guessing it's not very twitchy at slow speeds
Not twitchy......... This trike is awesome, I'm happy with my decision. I did take the Burley Canto for a ride at the same timme I tried the trike out, and it was very nice as well. The guy I bought this trike from also had the Burley, and he spet a good part of the morning over 2 hours with me showing them and answering all my questions, we even went for a short ride (he was great). He ended up selling me the trike all set up with all the extras for $500.00 I don't know if it was a great deal, but I'm happy.
Old 01-08-12, 06:40 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Liked 350 Times in 228 Posts
A functional bent - especially a trike - for $500 is a great deal!
Old 01-08-12, 06:40 PM
Cyclebum

Bikes: Tour Easy, Linear USS, Lightening Thunderbolt, custom DF, Raleigh hybrid, Felt time trial

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Capecodder
He ended up selling me the trike all set up with all the extras for $500.00 I don't know if it was a great deal, but I'm happy.
Are you kidding us? You oughta be HAPPY. Congrats.
Old 01-08-12, 07:05 PM
Steamer
Zircon Encrusted Tweezers

Liked 138 Times in 86 Posts
Yeah, that's an incredible deal. Woulda been a fair deal at 2x or even 2.5x the price. Congrats!
Old 01-08-12, 07:44 PM
Capecodder

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Steamer
Yeah, that's an incredible deal. Woulda been a fair deal at 2x or even 2.5x the price. Congrats!
Well, I'm sure glad I got a great deal. I'm totally unfamiliar with these bents, and was really on the fence as I was looking at them and trying them out. It really is in fantasic shape, and everything on it works great, shifts, and brakes like new. I didn't even try to talk the guy down cause he spent so much time with me.
Old 01-08-12, 07:50 PM
Jeff Wills
Insane Bicycle Mechanic

Liked 826 Times in 423 Posts
Originally Posted by Steamer

+10¹° . A Catrike with all the trimmings? Sweet!

Comcast nuked my web page. It will return soon..
Old 01-09-12, 02:43 AM
Peter_C
I am the Snail~!

Bikes: 2010 TerraTrike Rover 8

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
For perspective, I know you're not selling, but I'd give you $600 cash money, and handle the cost of getting it to me, don't even need to think about it. How close to Ohio are you?

A very sweet deal~! Congrats to you Sir.
Old 01-09-12, 04:09 AM
Capecodder

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Peter_C
For perspective, I know you're not selling, but I'd give you $600 cash money, and handle the cost of getting it to me, don't even need to think about it. How close to Ohio are you?

A very sweet deal~! Congrats to you Sir.

WOW! I am now certian it was a GREAT deal........ I live in Massachusetts, and if I find it's not for me I'll let you know.

Now, how does everyone feel riding their trike down the road? I'll admit, I was a bit nervous on the road yesterday but I did settle in and get more comfortable. I felt as though I was out of the sight of drivers and was going to be run down. I'm sure this will pass with time.
Old 01-09-12, 06:17 AM
Dudelsack 

You need one of those long flags on the back of your bike. Might I suggest Old Glory?

Old 01-09-12, 07:53 AM
Peter_C
I am the Snail~!

Bikes: 2010 TerraTrike Rover 8

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I have a large Purple Sky Flag, and am well-pleased with it. 16 (or more?) color choices, 3 sizes, different ribbon colors too.

My first month, to be honest I was convinced I had screwed up, and blow a whole lot of money for nothing. My trike felt flimsy when compared to my bike. On my comfort bike, nothing flexed, everything was solid. on my trike, everything could flex, seat, steering arms, etc... I could feel it tail-wagging as I rode, and was plain unhappy. The trike maker, TerraTrike was (and is still I believe) offering a 30 day try it, if I don't like it, send it back - would get a refund on all but shipping. I was very close to shipping it back.

But I sent lots of emails, and made phone calls, and was assured that since I was under the weight limit, that the warranty would take care of anything that didn't hold up to my use.

I believe now that it was just a big change, I tend to worry, I was bout 360lbs when I bought my Rover (about 320lbs now), one year and some 500 odd miles later, I have sold my bicycle, have made a few mods to my trike, and now wish I had bought it earlier than I did. So, for me it was not love at first sight, but rather I felt boxed into a corner, that it was this or nothing, and I *NEED* to ride to save my life~!

Long story short, I have OA badly, and most of my weight-bearing joints are toast, so no activity, so become fatter, then got heart issues, was bad enough to have weekly heart DR APPTS...nine knee surgeries over 30 years, 11/2009 had my left knee replaced, bought my comfort bike, started taking my life back - 650 miles in 2010 got the trike 12/2010, shoulder surgery 07/2010, right hip replaced 06/2011, 3 other long hospital stays on top of those listed, dropped from a high weight of 387lbs in 2009, have done some 500+ miles in 2011.

So for me the trike was a growing process. At this point, the pluses so outweigh the minuses, that I will not be on anything but a trike now. I can go as slow as I like, I've been on 9hr rides that were over too soon, and I plan to do a few mini-tours this spring and summer.

I highly suggest that you give it a good 90 days of *riding* (not just owning, but riding), before you decide anything~! When you get bored, I'd like to suggest looking at my Photobucket page which shows all the different mods I have made, a link is in my signature.

Tires, bling (fun stuff that makes you smile that is not a need - horn, dinger bell, stuff like that), trike computer, clothing - not so much *bike*-type clothes, just comfortable shirts and shorts, etc, some kind of rack or bag to carry stuff with you when riding, tool kit, fl@t repair stuff, and so on.

In my book the only reasons to not like the trike * experience* is:
It's too slow - you gotta ride fast
It's too bulky, and you can't get past it
You love riding with others, but they can't handle you and the trike
You are using it to commute, and it's not fast enough

Trikes tend to be more about the ride itself, and less about bragging about speed - you'll be 2-3mph slower on a trike than on a bike. Trikes take up more room, both for storage, and for transporting. but the comfort level is very high, whenever you stop, you have a comfy chair to sit in. Roadies will not like you at all.

From my last ride.

My 2010 Giant Suede DX comfort bike

3 weeks after my right hip was replaced last June, starting my rehab by riding 2-3 miles per day, am now some 35lbs smaller, and slowly shrinking.

My "Wike DIY trailer" I built, my good girl Miss Nyla (74lb GSD), and my Rover.
Old 01-09-12, 08:45 AM
-SEAN

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
nice looking trike you have there...you got a great deal on it...hope you enjoy riding it as much as the rest of us enjoy riding our recumbents...
Old 01-09-12, 08:56 AM
alaw35

Bikes: Rans V-Rex

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Catrike

Capecodder, I see from this thread that you ended up with the trike and not the canto. I know others have said this but to get a catrike for $500 is a steal. Actually to get any trike for $500 is a steal. Congratulations. I have a rans v-rex and only ridden it twice. Not sure if it is for me or not. I plan on buying a trike as well. Wish I could find something like what you got even close to the money in the Washington, D.C. area. Keep us posted on how it works for you as weather permits. And I will pay you $700 plus shipping if you decide it is not for you.
Old 01-09-12, 10:49 AM
gcottay

Bikes: Trice Q; Volae Century; TT 3.4

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by alaw35
. . . I have a rans v-rex and only ridden it twice. Not sure if it is for me or not. I plan on buying a trike as well . . .
If it is your first recumbent be sure to give your V-Rex a good shot at worming it's way into your affections and work hard at riding relaxed. For many bent riders the first few hundred miles were something of a challenge.
Old 01-10-12, 07:55 AM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Liked 755 Times in 463 Posts
My first recumbent was a V-Rex. It took me 2 or 3 25-mile rides before I had enough control to feel comfortable riding with anybody else. I'm sure that would have been true no matter which recumbent I started with.
Old 01-10-12, 06:27 PM
spry

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by 10 Wheels
I like the bars...never seen some like that.
Now who are you kidding
You would not be caught dead down there on that hospital gurney.
Old 01-10-12, 06:50 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Liked 755 Times in 463 Posts
Originally Posted by spry
Now who are you kidding
Never seen a recumbent before, huh? You gotta get out more.
Old 01-10-12, 08:13 PM
Dudelsack 

Originally Posted by spry
Now who are you kidding
Communist.

Old 01-15-12, 05:00 PM
mobilemail

Bikes: You mean this week?

Liked 58 Times in 28 Posts
Here is what I did for flags on my trike. Two long ones crossing in the middle, it gives a better visual indication of the width of my trike to the sleepy drivers. Now they can just aim for the middle!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.