Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Better price for Rivendell "silver" bar end shifters

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-12, 12:03 AM
mkeller234
Rustbelt Rider

Bikes: 1990 Trek 1420 - 1978 Raleigh Professional - 1973 Schwinn Collegiate - 1974 Schwinn Suburban

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked 372 Times in 177 Posts

I ordered some bar end shifters from Wiggle recently and they showed up today. They were listed as "Dia-Compe Bar End Gear Shifter Set" and I payed $50.98 with free shipping. I was pretty surprised when I pulled out the Rivendell Silver packaging... since I thought that finish was something Riv specs for themselves. I also thought the "Silver" levers were supposed to be fancier, they cost a whopping 78 dollars from Rivendell. The shifters look fine, but I wouldn't go so far as to say that they are beautiful. The finish on my 40 dollar tektro brakes is more impressive to me. Working at a printing company, I can really appreciate the box - it's very pretty.

In short: if you want to buy the Rivendell shifters, and saving 28 dollars appeals to you, they can be found at wiggle.

"(@)'(@)"""''"**|(@)(@)*****''(@)
Old 01-19-12, 12:21 AM
Maddox
Ride heavy metal.

Bikes: '74 Raleigh LTD-3, '76 Motobecane Grand Jubile, '83 Fuji TSIII (customized commuter), '10 Mercier Kilo WT (fixed obsession), '83 Bianchi Alloro, '92 Bridgestone MB-1 (project), '83 Specialized Expedition (project), '79 Peugeot UO-8 (sold)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I bought a new set of these same shifters off of eBay for around $60.00 plus shipping a year ago, but the Wiggle price is certainly better. Riv definitely doesn't have a monopoly on these.
Old 01-19-12, 01:12 AM
mkeller234
Rustbelt Rider

Bikes: 1990 Trek 1420 - 1978 Raleigh Professional - 1973 Schwinn Collegiate - 1974 Schwinn Suburban

I expect prices to be a little bit different from seller to seller, but I cannot understand 28 dollars extra for the same product.
Old 01-19-12, 04:12 AM
mtnbke

Bikes: '92 22" Cannondale M2000, '92 Cannondale R1000 Tandem, another modern Canndondale tandem, Two Holy Grail '86 Cannondale ST800s 27" (68.5cm) Touring bike w/Superbe Pro components and Phil Wood hubs. A bunch of other 27" ST frames & bikes.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
It is so funny how many people drink the Grant Kool-aid.

Silver shifters aren't a Rivendell product, though Grant contributed to their design. Many places carry and sell them. They are definitely NOT Rivendell shifters, they are Dia-Compe shifters. It is so funny how many silly little trinkets people adorn their bikes with from Rivendell, it is like an exercise in validation. Personally, I think the Silver shifters are horrible shifters. There are epically amazing shifters out there from the golden age of precision, polish, and finish of Bicycling, which as Grant communicates was the 80s tailing off into the 90s. However, Grant can't sell you that stuff because he can't buy it cheap (weak dollar) and it in fact isn't really being made anymore. It isn't a sustainable business model for Grant to tell you about the amazing shifters you should go find on eBay.

Always keep in mind that at the end of the day, with Grant, he is a copywriter trying to sell you something . That and the entire vision for his "country bicycles" is actually the '83-'86 Cannondale ST (sport touring) series (being sold before he started working at Bridgestone), only his bikes are made of cheaper, weaker, heavier, and wigglier steel. To say nothing of the blah components that are available for him to build with today, as compared to the dream builds of the higher end STs (Nitto post, Nitto technomic stem, NItto Randonneur handlebars, Superbe Pro shifters, Superbe Pro pedals, Superbe Pro long cage GT derailleur, Superbe triple front changer, Sugino AT touring crank, Brooks honey saddle with copper rivets (sometimes an Ideal w/copper rivets), fenders, fitment for wide tires, front and rear racks standard painted to match frame as were water bottle cages, Stronglight Delta headset, black Dia-compe NGC970 cantilevers). The wheels are dated, as are the very good Suntour freewheels. I'd build with Phil Wood and Velocity or Mavic rims, and the better spokes that are available today. I'd also go with an IRD freewheel with its "hyperglide" like teeth cuts.

On a bike like that the shifters should be moved to either Retroshifts or Kelly Take-offs, not kept on the downtube. However, I think that the cheap not special Dia-compe Silver shifters have no place on a bike like that. They'd slum it down. If you had to have bar-end shifting I'd go with the fantastic Suntour Accushift bar-cons. Read Grant's old ad copy from Bridgestone. He represented them as the most expensive and best shifters ever made. Still true, he just can't get 'em to sell 'em anymore.
Old 01-19-12, 05:23 AM
Gravity Aided

Bikes: Trek 600 ,1980Raleigh Competition G.S., 1986 Schwinn Passage, Facet Biotour 2000, Falcon San Remo 531,Schwinn Sierra, Sun Seeker tricycle recumbent,1985 Bianchi Squadra

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
I'm sure the secret recipe
for these items is not lost,
it just cuts into the bottom line
to include the best for such a price.
Old 01-19-12, 06:01 AM
sced
South Carolina Ed

Bikes: Holdsworth custom, Macario Pro, Ciocc San Cristobal, Viner Nemo, Cyfac Le Mythique, Giant TCR, Tommasso Mondial, Cyfac Etoile

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 346 Post(s)
Liked 294 Times in 141 Posts
Those shifters are a Suntour design from the mid 80's. I have a set that looks identical except for logos from a mid 80's Bianchi that came with a partial Sprint group. They sometimes appear as downtube shifters on Ebay and you can buy the pods.

These are pricey but you get the idea.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-Suntour-...item5adfbd20c1
Old 01-19-12, 07:28 AM
Hoss Cartright

Bikes: Schwinns, lots of them. Some Paramounts

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
I bought my set of Rivendell silvers at the LBS three weeks ago for $60.00. He had them for quite some time and the original price was $78.00.

Then I found on the net that it seems the gray plastic washers are fragile and will fracture. But there are two versions of the washer, and it depends on blah blah blah...
There is a replacement kit with a white nylon and metal flat/wave and lock washer combo upgrade to fix the "problem".
Then I find the fix and upgrade instructions from Rivendell and it is explained in detail here - Their web page

Conclusion from everything I read -
I'm going to run them until they break and then figure it out myself as I have a bunch of nylon washers in different sizes used in my motorcycle business.

Here's the video link for the upgrade kit installation - Their video

Pros - I like the leverage and the way they look. Cons - I think they are a little too thin and sharp-edged in respect to the way they kind of cut into the hand when pulling on them.

I saw a set on ebay this week with a buy-it-now of $40.00 (plus $7.00 S&H) and they were scarfed in only a couple of hours. Link to completed auction

I've also collected some of the vintage Suntour ones from the 1970s as I used them extensively back in those days. I bought an almost NOS complete set with cables and housings (the spiffy Schwinn approved Suntour re-label version - See image below) last week for $52.00 shipped. now have almost all my bikes upgraded to bar end shifters. The Suntours are on ebay all the time in the $35.00 range. I just scored the last set I needed this week for $31.00 shipped.

This is my 1981 Super LeTour with the "silvers" mounted.

Last edited by Hoss Cartright; 01-19-12 at 10:16 AM.
Old 01-19-12, 07:43 AM
mkeller234
Rustbelt Rider

Ok, everyone just ignore any angry comments. Lets not make this one of those threads.
Old 01-19-12, 07:45 AM
ColonelJLloyd 

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 10 Posts
There is a newer and slightly improved version of these shifters in the works.
Old 01-19-12, 08:06 AM
ctmullins 
Lurker

Bikes: Various home-built frankenbikes

Liked 37 Times in 23 Posts
I have a set of the SunTour Sprint levers on my Nishiki, and have loved them since they were new. Aren't these a copy of those? Grant wants you to think these are far and away superior ("bless you, but you're living in dreamland"), but I don't see how they could be.

And aren't these really downtube shifters on a bar-end pod? They look a bit fragile hanging way out in the breeze like that. I much prefer the stubby original SunTour Power Ratchet barcons.
2020 Surly Troll fat-tire build

Old 01-19-12, 08:14 AM
Hoss Cartright

Bikes: Schwinns, lots of them. Some Paramounts

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by mkeller234
Ok, everyone just ignore any angry comments. Lets not make this one of those threads.
I hope it wasn't something I said?
Old 01-19-12, 08:15 AM
Vegun

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I find friction shifting with anything more than an 8 speed to be a pain in the arse.

Can you find 8 speed free/hubs anymore?
Old 01-19-12, 08:43 AM
Kobe 

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked 355 Times in 186 Posts
Originally Posted by Hoss Cartright
Nope, 3 posts before your original.
Old 01-19-12, 08:49 AM
Yo Spiff
Carpe Velo

Bikes: 2000 Bianchi Veloce, '88 Schwinn Prologue, '90 Bianchi Volpe,'94 Yokota Grizzly Peak, Yokota Enterprise, '16 Diamondback Haanjo, '91 Bianchi Boardwalk, Ellsworth cruiser

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
Nice price. I bought a pair with the barends the other day for $30 from a Craigslist ad. The grey washer is cracked, but I've already obtained the replacement hardware store washers that Rivendell reccomends. Might not use the bar end mounts, however. Just doesn't seem appropriate for the '88 Prologue they are going on. I can then use the bar end pods on something else.
Old 01-19-12, 11:12 AM
Grand Bois

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 443 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 26 Posts
I can remember when Rivendell sold Simplex Retrofriction Down tube shifters. They stopped when the supply dried up. Velo Orange also sold them for a short time. They can be adapted to the Rivendell pods or to Shimanos. I prefer them over any shifter ever made by Suntour.
Old 01-19-12, 11:22 AM
bigbossman 
Dolce far niente

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by mkeller234
I ordered some bar end shifters from Wiggle recently and they showed up today. They were listed as "Dia-Compe Bar End Gear Shifter Set" and I payed $50.98 with free shipping.
I thought Wiggle had a $250 minimum order to get free shipping? Wait..... maybe that was Ribble.

EDIT: just checked Wiggle - they say free shipping on orders over $85 USD. Did they ship your $50 order for free?

S. J. Perelman
Old 01-19-12, 11:30 AM
Captain Blight

Bikes: -1973 Motobecane Mirage -197? Velosolex L'Etoile -'71 Raleigh Super Course

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Is there anything special that needs to be done to mount the Simplex Retrofrictions on Shimano pods? I've got a pair coming any day now.
Old 01-19-12, 11:33 AM
ColonelJLloyd 

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Captain Blight
Is there anything special that needs to be done to mount the Simplex Retrofrictions on Shimano pods?
No.

Old 01-19-12, 11:55 AM
Grand Bois

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 443 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 26 Posts
Originally Posted by Captain Blight
Is there anything special that needs to be done to mount the Simplex Retrofrictions on Shimano pods? I've got a pair coming any day now.
It did requre some modification. I started with banded early shifters and bolted the posts from the band to the pod. I also used the stop from the band. I tapped the back of the post for a 5mm bolt to hold it. The square in the mounting face of the pod had to be cleaned up for the stop to fit over it.

Later shifters are much easier.

Last edited by Grand Bois; 01-19-12 at 12:33 PM.
Old 01-19-12, 03:02 PM
mkeller234
Rustbelt Rider

Originally Posted by ColonelJLloyd
There is a newer and slightly improved version of these shifters in the works.
Those look nice. I can't tell if they are stubbier, which would be good. I wonder if they have the ratchet mechanism.

Originally Posted by Hoss Cartright
Not at all, you are fine. These threads have a way of going off the tracks and becoming an I hate/love Grant Petersen discussion.

Originally Posted by Vegun
I find friction shifting with anything more than an 8 speed to be a pain in the arse.
Can you find 8 speed free/hubs anymore?
I've been using Simplex Retrofrictions with a 9 speed cassette and have liked it so far. Current production Shimano 105 freehubs are listed as 8/9/10 speed.

Originally Posted by ctmullins
I have a set of the SunTour Sprint levers on my Nishiki, and have loved them since they were new. Aren't these a copy of those? Grant wants you to think these are far and away superior ("bless you, but you're living in dreamland"), but I don't see how they could be.

And aren't these really downtube shifters on a bar-end pod? They look a bit fragile hanging way out in the breeze like that. I much prefer the stubby original SunTour Power Ratchet barcons.
Yes, they are copies of the old Suntour levers. For the record, the Suntour version looks much nicer to me but they seem to be expensive the few times they show up. I agree that they look totally awkward. I have two other bikes with the old style bar-cons and decided to try something different.

I doubt that these are "far superior". If anything was hype, that probably was.

Last edited by mkeller234; 01-19-12 at 03:08 PM.
Old 01-19-12, 03:05 PM
mkeller234
Rustbelt Rider

Originally Posted by bigbossman
I thought Wiggle had a $250 minimum order to get free shipping? Wait..... maybe that was Ribble.

EDIT: just checked Wiggle - they say free shipping on orders over $85 USD. Did they ship your $50 order for free?
Ah, no... you are right, I also bought a rear rack. Shipping on the rack was going to cost around 25 dollars and it's not widely available. I bought these shifters and made my order 85 dollars and change... so the way I figure, these things cost me 25 dollars since I "saved" the shipping I would have spent anyway.
Old 01-19-12, 03:08 PM
mkeller234
Rustbelt Rider

So, are these things clear anodized or polished?
Old 01-19-12, 04:12 PM
ewmyers

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
You can get NOS at Bike Stash for under $30. The levers look different but as far as I can tell the internals are the same as my riv Silver Shifters. No affiliation, just like the price.
Old 01-20-12, 12:19 AM
mkeller234
Rustbelt Rider

Originally Posted by ewmyers
You can get NOS at Bike Stash for under $30. The levers look different but as far as I can tell the internals are the same as my riv Silver Shifters. No affiliation, just like the price.
Are they mounted on the bar-end pods though? That was the whole appeal to me.
Old 01-20-12, 12:21 AM
mkeller234
Rustbelt Rider

I got them mounted and went for a ride today. I've got to say, these shifters are every bit as awesome as Grant said they would be. The ratcheting makes them less silky than the retrofrictions, but they feel more precise. Shifting takes a nice light touch.

I am impressed!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.