Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Is there already a term for that "certain" type of bike?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-12, 05:29 PM
Bikedued

Liked 107 Times in 60 Posts

The type of bike I am talking about is vintage road bikes that go over the top to look classy. You know, Honjo fenders, shellac cloth wrap drop bars, brass bells, upright bars with reverse levers, etc.. I LOVE this type of bike, but do they need a name? I love the look, but I always want to connect a name with that certain style, but I seem to draw a blank.,,,,BD

Are they already called something? Besides really cool bikes?
Old 02-05-12, 05:58 PM
auchencrow

Liked 43 Times in 33 Posts
The bikes you describe seem to pay homage to the fashion of vintage Rene Herse /Singer's "constructeur" bikes. I don't know if that's technically correct when applied to a modded production bike.
Old 02-05-12, 06:10 PM
rootboy 

Liked 133 Times in 79 Posts
Postructeurs?
Old 02-05-12, 06:11 PM
auchencrow

Liked 43 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by rootboy
Postructeurs?
Old 02-05-12, 06:17 PM
Catnap 

Bikes: Zunow, 3Rensho, Look KG196

Liked 495 Times in 198 Posts
When used with upright bars & reverse levers, a "townie".
With drop bars, racks, and 700c or 650b, it's a "randonneur" bike. not the same as a "touring" bike though, which will generally have a more relaxed geometry and be designed to carry more gear.
If it's got a huge flat rack up front (like a Paul, Cetma, or VO), it's a "porteur" which is essentially a dressed up cargo / delivery bike.

i'm not entirely sure what sets a randonneur bike apart from a constructeur.

a catch-all term would be "Rivendell"
Old 02-05-12, 06:27 PM
Italuminium
Cisalpinist

Bikes: blue ones.

Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
well pardon me, but I think that most american bikes from the portland/riv/velo orange set have about as much class as this :

Don't get me wrong, I like the cycling revival in the US and I like that there's a lot of love for old bikes, but many of the new bikes and parts just miss the elegance of the french originals. All the tubes are just a little too fat, the alloy parts lack elegant lines and logo's are way too " thought out". It's all too clean in general. Look for instance at old stronglight cranks: very elegant, very french and instantly recognizable as such, but the logo's a squigly mess. Also, the colours on these modern builds are just a little too bright. It all just misses the dirty french edge!

I acknowledge my utter failure to describe the "je ne sais quoi" though
Old 02-05-12, 06:31 PM
rootboy 

Liked 133 Times in 79 Posts
Originally Posted by Italuminium
That almost looks like it should be in a Fellini movie.
Old 02-05-12, 06:47 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Liked 2,579 Times in 1,586 Posts
"Boutique"?
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 02-05-12, 06:59 PM
bibliobob

Bikes: '53/'54 Bianchi CDM, '62ish Altenburger Cinelli Mod B, '69 Rene Herse Competition, '72 Motobecane Grand Record, '73-74 Colnago Super,, '73-74 Cinelli SC, '78ish counterfeit Confente, '82 Medici Gran Turismo, '67ish Mondia Speciale, Eddy Merckx Pro

Liked 303 Times in 100 Posts
There's a fine line between homage and excess. Excessive use of brown leather is a deal killer for me, and I always think "a bit twee" to myself when I see it. This is, of course, doubled when the rider is a participant in a tweed ride

In all seriousness, we sometimes, in general, try too hard to make things look "old tymey." Cars and architecture are two prime examples of where we stupidly choose to purse a cheap simulacrum of what used to be, instead of either doing something timeless and new, or with just a slight touch of the past in it.

A wink and a nod is generally preferential to a wholehearted but wooden embrace. A cardboard McMansion designed to look like something from the past is still cardboard.

When it comes to bikes, I'm definitely not referring to the gorgeous "KOF" builders that we all know and love. But, the modern, tig welded beasts that are trying to be "classic" by using faux leather grips/wrap, saddle, and saddle bag are just sad.
Old 02-05-12, 07:16 PM
norskagent
car dodger

Liked 147 Times in 61 Posts
I saw a bike like that last year, it was a raleigh touring bike dressed out with every VO part imaginable. Honjo fenders, brooks saddle, VO front and rear racks and bags, etc. It was like a showroom display bike and it didn't look like it had seen many miles. I could see how a non-bike savvy observer would be impressed but I thought it was a bit over the top.
1976 Fuji Feather track
1979 raleigh track
"I've consulted my sources and I'm pretty sure your derailleur does not exist"
Old 02-05-12, 07:33 PM
ecnewell 

Bikes: 2007 Raleigh Rx 1.0, 1990 Cannondale ST400, 1981 Fredy Rüegg, 1984 Miyata One-Thousand

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Come on people, this thread needs pictures! Show us the goods
Old 02-05-12, 07:50 PM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Liked 3,098 Times in 1,580 Posts
At my place I call it the Hetchins

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
DSC_0644.jpg (103.6 KB, 478 views)

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 02-05-12, 08:04 PM
kiwigem
Fahrrad Mama

Liked 8 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by bibliobob
There's a fine line between homage and excess. Excessive use of brown leather is a deal killer for me, and I always think "a bit twee" to myself when I see it. This is, of course, doubled when the rider is a participant in a tweed ride

In all seriousness, we sometimes, in general, try too hard to make things look "old tymey." Cars and architecture are two prime examples of where we stupidly choose to purse a cheap simulacrum of what used to be, instead of either doing something timeless and new, or with just a slight touch of the past in it.

A wink and a nod is generally preferential to a wholehearted but wooden embrace. A cardboard McMansion designed to look like something from the past is still cardboard.

When it comes to bikes, I'm definitely not referring to the gorgeous "KOF" builders that we all know and love. But, the modern, tig welded beasts that are trying to be "classic" by using faux leather grips/wrap, saddle, and saddle bag are just sad.
You said "simulacrum."
Old 02-05-12, 08:17 PM
Michael Angelo 

Bikes: Treks (USA), Schwinn Paramount, Schwinn letour,Raleigh Team Professional, Gazelle GoldLine Racing, 2 Super Mondias, Carlton Professional.

Liked 32 Times in 23 Posts
Originally Posted by Bianchigirll

I love your bike.
Old 02-05-12, 08:31 PM
kc0yef 

Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts
Spendy
Old 02-05-12, 08:32 PM
clasher

Liked 148 Times in 103 Posts
Sometimes I think "a bit twee" covers my opinions on it mostly... harmless fun I guess for most... sometimes I'm reminded of prince charles designing firehalls, especially looking back at a few bikes I put together
Old 02-05-12, 09:16 PM
20grit
Curmudgeon in Training

Bikes: 1974 Gazelle Champion Mondial, 2010 Cannondale Trail SL, 1988 Peugeot Nice, 1992ish Stumpjumper Comp,1990's Schwinn Moab

Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Sounds like a mish mash of the aesthetics of various eras and purposes. In architecture this kind of fit Historicism which was a pretty dreadful trend in the profession.

So, perhaps Historicist, without the dreadful part.
Old 02-05-12, 09:35 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Liked 3,822 Times in 2,604 Posts
Originally Posted by Bikedued
The type of bike I am talking about is vintage road bikes that go over the top to look classy. You know, Honjo fenders, shellac cloth wrap drop bars, brass bells, upright bars with reverse levers, etc.. I LOVE this type of bike, but do they need a name? I love the look, but I always want to connect a name with that certain style, but I seem to draw a blank.,,,,BD

Are they already called something? Besides really cool bikes?
The French porteur bikes were reasonably classy looking and that's where the upright bars and reverse levers came from. They were working bikes though. According to "The Golden Age...," French bikes went through a really shiny period after WWII. Those would be the bikes that are generally considered to be a randonnuse, although they may never have been purchased for randonneuring.
Old 02-05-12, 09:37 PM
Bikedued

Whoa whoa whoa. I never said anything about new bikes? I was talking old bikes that people give the full retro treatment to Like "vintage homage" maybe.,,,,BD

Last edited by Bikedued; 02-05-12 at 10:03 PM.
Old 02-05-12, 09:38 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Liked 1,414 Times in 913 Posts
Full dressers.
Old 02-05-12, 09:52 PM
Bikedued

I just found a link of the type I was talking about. Constructeur it is, I guess? Pretty yes, but I can imagine finding this type of bike parked outside a store somewhere, looking like it had been ridden for 50 years, but well taken care of. Patina laden, if you will,,,,BD

https://www.flickr.com/photos/ratrock...7622335870141/
Old 02-05-12, 09:55 PM
Bikedued

Which leads me to another ponderous question. Did the art deco movement ever hit bikes hard? I know it hit hard on balloon tire bikes, like a bus hitting a wall, lol. But what about racing bikes?,,,,BD
Old 02-05-12, 09:57 PM
bibliobob

Bikes: '53/'54 Bianchi CDM, '62ish Altenburger Cinelli Mod B, '69 Rene Herse Competition, '72 Motobecane Grand Record, '73-74 Colnago Super,, '73-74 Cinelli SC, '78ish counterfeit Confente, '82 Medici Gran Turismo, '67ish Mondia Speciale, Eddy Merckx Pro

Liked 303 Times in 100 Posts
Originally Posted by Bikedued
Whoa whoa whoa. I never said anything about new bikes? I was talking old bikes that people give the full retro treatment to,,,,BD
You're right. But even with the old bikes, it can sometimes get out of hand. It sometimes seems that folks are wholly consumed with making a bike look "proper." At a certain point, anything can become a caricature of itself (and ultimately cheapened by the generic quality that comes with it).

Every bike is different. You just gotta throw the formula out the window and go with whatever is right for it...
Old 02-05-12, 10:13 PM
AZORCH

Bikes: 1966 Paramount | 1971 Raleigh International | ca. 1970 Bernard Carre | 1989 Waterford Paramount | 2012 Boulder Brevet | 2019 Specialized Diverge

Liked 78 Times in 41 Posts
Originally Posted by Bianchigirll

A most excellent Irish hydration system, BG.
Old 02-05-12, 10:14 PM
Bikedued

Yep, I agree. It's the reason I refused to put fenders on my Competition, though a few suggested I should. Likewise with my Grand Record, no fenders there either. In fact I just ordered some tubulars for a set of rims I recently acquired, that will be going on the GR. The Supercourse I recently got back on the road though, I may go this route. There is something about that period of bike that I really love.,,,,BD

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.