Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Rudge Aero Pathracer

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Rudge Aero Pathracer

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-12, 04:39 PM
bode

Bikes: 1935 Rudge Whitworth Roadster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rudge Aero Pathracer

My next project! My original plan was to buy an old Rudge frame and build a vintage path racer mainly for a bit of fun. Bike theft is quite high in Cambridge, so the thought of buying a Pashley Guvnor made me very nervous!

My current project is a lovely 1935 Rudge Whitworth roadster which has been respectfully restored using original parts in wartime black, however I wanted to be creative with this new project..shiney new, minimal single speeded 'fixie', drop North Road bars, drum brake, cream tyres, Rudge maroon respray.

I've had the frame for two days now and it is growing on me as it is...faded lustre orange finish with beautiful transfers, but if I were going to do a restoration job, I would need to try re-create the transfers myself in Adobe Illustrator. It's still got that old fusty metal smell.

So what do I do?

I'm not a fan of club road racers so I've no plans to faithfully restore the bike, but should I keep the frame, spray some clear lacquer for that rat look? Bear in mind that all other parts will most likely be sparkly new.

https://i971.photobucket.com/albums/a...c/f4e766b6.jpg
Old 03-02-12, 04:43 PM
seely
The Rabbi

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I LOVE the patina on it. I wouldn't do a thing to it except wash it down with a cloth and some alcohol, and then wax the hell out of it. If there is any rust, rubbing it down with evaporust should take care of it. Stuff's reusable and non-toxic too, works great on surface rust on old frames: https://www.evaporust.com/
Old 03-02-12, 04:51 PM
bode

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That's 65 years of patina.
Old 03-02-12, 08:40 PM
sailorbenjamin

Bikes: one of each

Liked 15 Times in 15 Posts
Build it up and ride it for the summer. The patina will either grow on you or you'll learn to hate it. Paint it next winter if you feel it's what the bike wants.
Old 03-02-12, 09:14 PM
David Newton
Wood

Bikes: Raleigh Sports: hers. Vianelli Professional & Bridgestone 300: mine

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Great basis for a cool bike Bode, be sure to show it to us when you're done.
Old 03-02-12, 09:33 PM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Liked 3,272 Times in 1,651 Posts
Personally I love the way it looks, too bad there isn't a way to dip in plastic or something.

All the Posers will be jealous because you'll like like the original "fixie Dude" once you get it up and running. Single speed with a coaster brake would be a cool idea or maybe a IGH?

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 03-02-12, 09:42 PM
clubman 
Phyllo-buster

Bikes: roadsters, club bikes, fixed and classic

Liked 2,090 Times in 1,275 Posts
Beuatiful bike so choose your poison, You like path racers but not clubracers? So get a flip flop wheels, bars of your choice, a Brooks, mudguards and call it whatever you want.

I really want that frame.
Old 03-03-12, 07:38 AM
Picchio Special

Bikes: '39 Hobbs, '58 Marastoni, '73 Italian custom, '75 Wizard, '76 Wilier, '78 Tom Kellogg, '79 Colnago Super, '79 Sachs, '81 Masi Prestige, '82 Cuevas, '83 Picchio Special, '84 Murray-Serotta, '85 Trek 170, '89 Bianchi, '90 Bill Holland, '94 Grandis

Liked 14 Times in 12 Posts
I'm not going to say it. But y'all know I'm thinkin' it ...
Old 03-03-12, 07:56 AM
AZORCH

Bikes: 1966 Paramount | 1971 Raleigh International | ca. 1970 Bernard Carre | 1989 Waterford Paramount | 2012 Boulder Brevet | 2019 Specialized Diverge

Liked 78 Times in 41 Posts
Originally Posted by Bianchigirll
Personally I love the way it looks, too bad there isn't a way to dip in plastic or something.

All the Posers will be jealous because you'll like like the original "fixie Dude" once you get it up and running. Single speed with a coaster brake would be a cool idea or maybe a IGH?
I agree, and I'd be all over an IGH for this myself. You gotta do what you gotta do, of course, but a three speed would still keep the lines pretty clean and you'd have a pretty elegant riding solution. Relative to patina, you're going to hear a lot of differing opinions here. However, since you open it up to discussion, here's my two cents worth: I'd clean it, wax it, and leave it alone. I've "refurbed" frames in the past and seldom do I not feel some sense of remorse after having done so. No matter how slick and shiny the new frame turns out to be, it looks just like a "new" frame and has lost much of the original character that appealed to me in the first place. The decals, missing chunks, just never look the same when replaced. You'll hear it again but it's only original once.
Old 03-03-12, 08:52 AM
thenomad
Riding like its 1990

Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts
I often repaint rustbuckets (beachcruiser i picked up) but this one is special and I'd agree, that finish should stay. The nice thing is that its not halfway faded, but evenly patina'd.
Old 03-03-12, 11:41 AM
bode

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here is the chainring which I've picked up for it. I will investigate the possibility of having it nickel plated. I agree that it is only original once. What's preventing me from repainting the frame, is it's original colour, it just looks good. Waiting a year is probably a good idea, I get two bikes!

Old 03-03-12, 12:10 PM
kiwigem
Fahrrad Mama

Liked 8 Times in 3 Posts
I CAN NOT WAIT to see that one completed.
Old 03-03-12, 12:14 PM
Italuminium
Cisalpinist

Bikes: blue ones.

Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
Great frame. I already picture it riding along the colleges with a nice old brooks, GB drop bars and a sturmey archer 3 speed with either a proto-brifter set up or the beautiful quadrant shifter on the top tube. Definitely following thi build with great interest.
Old 03-03-12, 02:15 PM
Velognome 
Get off my lawn!

Bikes: 1917 Loomis, 1923 Rudge, 1930 Hercules Renown, 1947 Mclean, 1948 JA Holland, 1955 Hetchins, 1957 Carlton Flyer, 1962 Raleigh Sport, 1978&81 Raleigh Gomp GS', 2010 Raliegh Clubman

Liked 100 Times in 50 Posts

Picchio Special

I'm not going to say it. But y'all know I'm thinkin' it ...
Cleansing breath..................

None the less, and old Rudge would make a lovely Pashley G. look alike.

Exhale................................
Old 03-04-12, 06:40 PM
bode

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well first task is to track down a Raleigh 26 tpi bottom bracket and a cup. Oh the joy. But it's probably going to have to be one of these....

https://store.velo-orange.com/index.p...-brackets.html

Has anyone tried this with a Raleigh rebuild?
Old 03-04-12, 07:37 PM
kiwigem
Fahrrad Mama

Liked 8 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by bode
Well first task is to track down a Raleigh 26 tpi bottom bracket and a cup.
Aren't those all over the place?
Old 03-04-12, 08:00 PM
Dawes-man
十人十色

Liked 26 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by bode
Here is the chainring which I've picked up for it. I will investigate the possibility of having it nickel plated. I agree that it is only original once. What's preventing me from repainting the frame, is it's original colour, it just looks good. Waiting a year is probably a good idea, I get two bikes!
100% agreed! That dark brick-red is lovely. And no matter how good a repro transfer set you manage to make/buy you will NEVER get the look of the originals as they are now. They are beautiful.

For nickel plating, try:
Prestige Electro-Plating
Unit 6, Cliff Street Industrial Estate,
Mexborough,
South Yorkshire,
S64 9HU
UK
tel: 01709 577004

Margaret will sort you out
Old 03-04-12, 08:17 PM
Coreyk
Birotate Charioteer

Bikes: 1978 Raleigh Competition GS, 1980 Raleigh DL-1, 2012 Bianchi Volpe, 1995-8 Caloi "Semi-Otto" homage thingy

Liked 4 Times in 1 Post
I really want to see where this one goes.

CK
Old 05-24-18, 07:37 PM
Reddbiker

Bikes: 69 Raleigh Sports, 69 Dunelt 3spd, 84 Raleigh Tamarack, 86 Dahon Classic III, 87 Schwinn Cimarron, 88 Peugeot Anjou, 89 Bridgestone MB-4, 93 Bridgestone XO-5, 93 Schwinn Criss Cross, 95 Cignal Melbourne Express Tandem

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bringing this back from the dead but I found the thread and I'm curious. What did you ever end up doing?!