Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Hi Vis Clothing

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Hi Vis Clothing

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-12, 02:29 PM
grindr82

Bikes: 2021 Giant Fathom 1 29er, 2013 Giant Avail 1, 2012 Cannondale CAADX 5 (Sold)

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Hi Vis Clothing

I have recently started commuting 18 miles round trip...I travel on country roads where the lighting isn't always ideal...I would like to know (in your opinions or based on your experiences) if the lime green hi vis is easier to see over the orange?

Thanks
Old 03-08-12, 02:36 PM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Liked 1,279 Times in 647 Posts
Yes

Old 03-08-12, 02:41 PM
Yo Spiff
Carpe Velo

Bikes: 2000 Bianchi Veloce, '88 Schwinn Prologue, '90 Bianchi Volpe,'94 Yokota Grizzly Peak, Yokota Enterprise, '16 Diamondback Haanjo, '91 Bianchi Boardwalk, Ellsworth cruiser

Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
Interesting question that I never thought of. I did a quick web search and found this article. It does make a point that one should take the environment into account when choosing. Flourescent orange is more frequently used for traffic cones and various barriers in an urban area. So I'd say the lime yellow is a better choice for a cyclist to stand out.
Old 03-08-12, 02:51 PM
NCbiker

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes, the lime green is so bright it will make your eyes bleed!
Old 03-08-12, 03:02 PM
CommuterRun
Conservative Hippie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
In lower light the lime green, yellow or white will stand out better than int'l orange. You may want to also consider the background colors you will be seen against. In a rural area the typical background should be vegetation or open field, in which case any of these colors, lime green, yellow, white, int'l orange, hot pink, would work. Unless there's snow. Then I'd forego the white. Also solid colors stand out better than prints. None of these colors stand out better than active lights.
Old 03-08-12, 03:58 PM
Bekologist
totally louche

Bikes: the ever shifting stable loaded with comfortable road bikes and city and winter bikes

Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
I personally observe that high viz yellow is more visible at dawn and dusk and at night, and safety orange more visible during the day and if your rides take you on any trails during hunting season.
Old 03-08-12, 04:42 PM
Chris516
24-Speed Machine

Bikes: 2003 Specialized Allez 24-Speed Road Bike

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I feel that lime green is the 'way to go'. Because it is brighter(if it hasn't faded) than both yellow, and orange.
Old 03-08-12, 05:59 PM
mconlonx

Liked 135 Times in 93 Posts
Hi-Viz yellow/green is more visible, but in a rural situation, might not be "seen" as well as international orange, or in rural parlance, "hunter" orange. Drivers who might not give a typical hi-viz yellow traffic worker even a thought, might wonder about someone in orange -- what are they hunting, what kind of gun are they carrying...
Old 03-08-12, 09:42 PM
grindr82

Bikes: 2021 Giant Fathom 1 29er, 2013 Giant Avail 1, 2012 Cannondale CAADX 5 (Sold)

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The lime/yellow is the way I was planning on going....actually this is the vest I have ordered
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
hi vis.jpg (17.1 KB, 7 views)
Old 03-08-12, 10:30 PM
Commodus

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

I like this one, 'chartreuse'. It's kinda green and yellow, though it looks mostly yellow in this pic.

Apparently it's 'scientifically proven' to be the most visible. I dunno about that, but I was on a populaire last year and two people had jackets this colour, and they really popped, I was amazed.
Old 03-09-12, 03:59 PM
Keith99

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
If you are riding when it is not fully light out then lights on the bike are far more effective than clothing. I'm hoping the clothing question is to get the maximum out of them as a secondary way of being visible.
Old 03-09-12, 04:14 PM
mconlonx

Liked 135 Times in 93 Posts
Originally Posted by grindr82
The lime/yellow is the way I was planning on going....actually this is the vest I have ordered
That should definitely do the trick, especially with the big reflective patches.
Old 03-09-12, 05:47 PM
irwin7638

Bikes: Sam, The Hunq and that Old Guy, Soma Buena Vista, Giant Talon 2, Brompton

Liked 124 Times in 51 Posts
I really like this signbetter than the jackets,vests or shirts.
MarcllY

Old 03-10-12, 08:58 AM
Myosmith
Lover of Old Chrome Moly

Liked 23 Times in 17 Posts
Just FYI, a lot of emergency services are going with chartreuse for their safety gear. Even fire trucks are being painted chartreuse and it's being encorporated into a lot of the reflective paint jobs on ambulances. Any fluorescent color is better than gray, black, or some muted color scheme. I wear a lot of red in the daytime which is less than ideal, but if I'm going to be out in the early morning or late evening I'm in chartreuse. My current rain gear is blaze orange, but when it gets replaced I'll get chartreuse with reflective trim.

Irwin, I really like that. I think a symbol like that with reflective border should be incorporated into the back of riding jerseys and jackets. I'd buy one (or more). It covers both the hi viz and slow moving vehicle aspects of cycle safety. Any apparel manufacturers paying attention ?!?!
Old 03-10-12, 09:29 AM
david58

Bikes: Fuji Cross Comp, BMC SR02, Surly Krampas

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Myosmith
It covers both the hi viz and slow moving vehicle aspects of cycle safety.
Who you callin' slow?
Old 03-10-12, 11:54 AM
grindr82

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
@Keith99: My question was just to inquire about the difference in visibility between the typical yellow/orange safety vests from those who have the experience I do have the proper lighting on my bike in addition to the vest...and I am always open to hearing more suggestions about making my daily commute a safer one

@Commodus: where can I purchase that jacket?

@mconlonx: thanks

Last edited by grindr82; 03-10-12 at 11:57 AM.
Old 03-11-12, 11:47 AM
Commodus

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
https://www.rapha.cc/pro-team-jacket

Maybe be sitting when you look at the price.
Old 03-11-12, 12:03 PM
HBxRider

Liked 26 Times in 4 Posts
I was looking at the day-glo jackets at REI. I was very interested till I saw the clearance price of $140. Yikes. Gonna look for eBay specials. Or maybe buy a vest off a walmart shopping cart pusher
Old 03-11-12, 12:07 PM
HBxRider

Liked 26 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by irwin7638
I really like this signbetter than the jackets,vests or shirts.
MarcllY

This looks like just what the doctor ordered. All I need is a link to where I can buy it, and at a good price
Old 03-11-12, 12:55 PM
wsbob

Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Some of the apparel style offerings at Old Navy can be fleeting, but around November, I got an excellent hi-vis water resistant jacket there. It's styled for runners, so looser cut than the Rapha jacket Commodus posted a pic of, but it was $18, down from about $40. It's been working out great. Haven't been by lately to see what ON has for this season.

Champion currently has a really hi-vis long sleeve crew neck performance fabric jersey for about $18. Target has it.

Not necessarily for practicality, but for aesthetics, I prefer the hi-vis yellow-green, which the above mentioned garments are.

The wide, bands of reflective material that construction safety vest use, really stand out.
Old 03-11-12, 05:32 PM
mechBgon

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Another vote for hi-vis lime. In darkness, white is better (the fluorescent nature of hi-vis requires ultraviolet light from sunlight for its "pop"), but retroreflective items are still far more visible in front of car headlights than white or lime, and active lighting trumps them all.

So grindr82, you have both hi-vis and reflective covered there. A pair of reflective legbands is another easy win; they're down low where the low-beam headlights hit them well, they move to grab attention and send the "human being" signal, and they're visible from all angles of approach. I like the Jog-A-Lite ones, REI has them. You can also find self-illuminating legbands (Planet Bike BRT-STRAP, Nathan) at REI and elsewhere.

You can also pick up iron-on reflective tape and add some more to your new vest if you want; I like to add another 2" stripe across the back, as low as possible where it'll face traffic the best.

Originally Posted by HBxRider
This looks like just what the doctor ordered. All I need is a link to where I can buy it, and at a good price

https://www.teamestrogen.com/prodJL_8...skuID=JL-8512A
Old 03-12-12, 09:46 AM
irwin7638

Bikes: Sam, The Hunq and that Old Guy, Soma Buena Vista, Giant Talon 2, Brompton

Liked 124 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by HBxRider
I got mine from Rivendell (rivbike.com), but Jogalite has a website I think.

Marc
Old 03-12-12, 10:42 PM
LanceRides

Liked 14 Times in 3 Posts
You can get hi vis shirts vests and jackets at incredibly reasonable prices if you think industrial safety instead of Bicycle Apparel. Not as finely tuned as the Pearl Isumi stuff, but geez, I got some Lime Green tee shirts for like 7 buck and they're pretty bright.
Try this https://www.fullsource.com/

Or this: https://www.esafetystore.com/

Or search google for Hi Vis Safety (apparel)

I like to wear my Orange Vest with Lime Green reflective stripes. I feel like motorists are conditioned to take notice and respect the safety vest. (IMHO)
Old 03-12-12, 11:50 PM
mechBgon

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by LanceRides
I like to wear my Orange Vest with Lime Green reflective stripes. I feel like motorists are conditioned to take notice and respect the safety vest. (IMHO)
I've sometimes wondered if the safety vest gets the user some "street cred" simply for not being one of those Lycra-clad weirdos with the skin-tight outfits.
Old 03-13-12, 09:59 AM
Fargo Wolf
Resident smartass.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
If your commute is during daylight hours, go with an orange vest. The fluorescent yellow/green vests actually aren't all that visible in daylight conditions. During hours of darkness, the exact opposite applies. A basic vest of either color can be obtained from any store that sells construction safety clothing.

Originally Posted by mechBgon
I've sometimes wondered if the safety vest gets the user some "street cred" simply for not being one of those Lycra-clad weirdos with the skin-tight outfits.
Depends on where you are I guess. I've been complimented by drivers for wearing my orange vest (no reflective stripes) when I used to pedal around downtown Vancouver, BC.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.