Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Copper Triangle Ride Questions

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-12, 10:43 AM
bikerjp
Beer >> Sanity

Bikes: 2014 Evo DA2, 2010 Caad9-4, 2011 Synapse-4, 2013 CaadX-disc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

https://www.coppertriangle.com/index.html

I'm thinking of doing this ride. It would be my first organized ride. Also first time to ride with others as I always ride solo. As I understand it, the road is not closed for this ride. With so many cyclists on the road, seems it would cause drivers to be extra cautious but I suspect some will just be pissed. A smart person would avoid driving that day so you are probably on the road with the less smart drivers.

Anyway, just wondering what the ride is like. Stressful due to traffic and tons of bikes or relaxing and fun? My ideal ride is a wide open road and not another soul in sight. However, I want to try some of these organized rides and this one looks to be a good one and not ridiculously expensive.

Thoughts, tips, suggestions? Thanks.
Old 03-13-12, 10:46 AM
Commodus

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I don't know about that ride in particular, but normally these events are pretty safe. If you get enough cyclists on the road, drivers seem to just get the idea that there's something going on and drive accordingly. Normally you will end up filling up one lane completely.
Old 03-13-12, 12:57 PM
HokuLoa
Blissketeer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Add to that the police and event staff presence and the whole scene is decidedly safer than riding that route another day with a group of say 5 friends. The "stressful" part will be the mountain pass climbs...

Tips:
- Train, train, train on climbing.
- Try to get in some rides in the mountains to prepare for the altitude.
- Don't be scared. This is why you have support so relax and enjoy.
- Be prepared for variable mountain weather (sun, heat, wind, rain, snow... all are possible)
- Make sure your drive is well tuned.
- Make sure your tires are up to snuff. If borderline replace them pre-ride.
- If you brakes are borderline make sure to adjust them properly and have fresh all weather pads (you will use them)
- Did I mention train, train, train??
Old 03-13-12, 02:05 PM
bikerjp
Beer >> Sanity

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the info. It's in August so I should have a lot of summer riding under my belt and be in about as good a shape as I can expect.

Photos of ride show nice shoulders but also tons of bikes spilling into two lane mountain roads so I kind of figured drivers would be doing their best to weave in and around cyclists growing increasingly impatient as they go. They do this every year though so I guess most people are somewhat used to it and tourists will see it as an attraction. Better check my calendar and get registered. Thanks.
Old 03-13-12, 02:10 PM
kv501

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I live in Iowa and get to experience RAGBRAI. Mucho riders and mucho traffic. Drivers are actually way better behaved than they are when it's just you and them on a blacktop somewhere. Having Johnny Law at intersections makes it even better. I say get signed up and have a ball.
Old 03-13-12, 03:23 PM
Breathegood

Bikes: '09 Gary Fisher "Kaitai, '09 Raleigh Team", '91 Trek 8700, '97 Cannondale SR500, '12 Raleigh Twin Six

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Copper Triangle is a pretty big event. If you are used to riding solo, 4500 of your new closest friends on bicycles are going to be infanitely more menacing than traffic. I'd be more concerned about the stretches of bike path on Vail Pass than any of the road sections. These events are pretty well monitored and there is lots of support. If you can handle the elevation, climbs, distance, and are courtious and aware, there is little to worry about.

That being said, riding over Fremont Pass, Tennessee Pass, and Vail Pass is considerably more difficult than Sunday morning rides up Dear Creek, Lookout Mtn, or Goldengate Canyon. While the distance and grades make you feel like a man, nothing can prepair you for elevation accept.....elevation. Train, train, train. When you think you are training enough, train some more.
Old 03-13-12, 11:45 PM
HokuLoa
Blissketeer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey that is a good point Breathegood and definitely something I forgot. It is a really good idea to get on the ride as early as possible to avoid the generally slower, less predictable hordes who get a late(r) start. Avoiding the afternoon T-storms isn't such a bad idea either...
Old 03-14-12, 09:22 AM
jtm54

Bikes: Giant TCR Adv., Tsunami Cross, Trek Madone 4.7

Liked 10 Times in 5 Posts
I think it is one of the best rides in the state. Lots of good people, and amazing views. Be prepared for lots of different weather; most of the time when I start this ride its under 30 degrees, but climbing Vail can be over 80.
Old 03-14-12, 10:47 AM
bikerjp
Beer >> Sanity

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for all the info. I've lived in CO most of my life and know all about changing mountain weather and physical activity at elevation. Figuring out what to take on bike, however, is more a challenge as I don't want to haul a bunch of stuff but also want to stay comfortable.

Originally Posted by Breathegood
Copper Triangle is a pretty big event. If you are used to riding solo, 4500 of your new closest friends on bicycles are going to be infanitely more menacing than traffic. I'd be more concerned about the stretches of bike path on Vail Pass than any of the road sections. These events are pretty well monitored and there is lots of support. If you can handle the elevation, climbs, distance, and are courtious and aware, there is little to worry about.

That being said, riding over Fremont Pass, Tennessee Pass, and Vail Pass is considerably more difficult than Sunday morning rides up Dear Creek, Lookout Mtn, or Goldengate Canyon. While the distance and grades make you feel like a man, nothing can prepair you for elevation accept.....elevation. Train, train, train. When you think you are training enough, train some more.
I think I read they cap the ride at 3,000 but still a lot of people and I suspect you are right about them being more of an issue but really it's both bike and cars. Would be nice if they would close a lane for this kind of event.

I've read that the ride up Vail pass on the bike trail is not only the hardest climb it's also the one with the most traffic due to all the bike and additional weekend adventurers. Early out and early back seems to be the mantra.

I've only done a couple rides at elevation so far and only one so far with 5000 feet of climbing. I'm pretty confident I can do this - just not sure I can do it fast
Old 03-14-12, 12:15 PM
alexfboyle
uʍop ǝpısdn s,ʇı

Bikes: GT ZR 3.0 Team Lotto, Specialized Rockhopper, Mangusta 3000

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Defiantly train on some climbs. And if you can, ride some of the climbs you'll be doing in the ride, so you know what to expect. I did the deer creek challenge last year, and if I was able to train on all of the climbs it would have been considerably less difficult.

I'll be doing the copper triangle this year, so maybe I'll see you there.
Old 03-14-12, 01:47 PM
bikerjp
Beer >> Sanity

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I do climbs on almost every ride but not long ones. That's what I really need. Might have a chance to ride the ride in June so I'll get the lay. Probably going to sign up but don't count on drafting me "right behind you..." I'll likely be behind most everyone.
Old 03-14-12, 01:54 PM
HokuLoa
Blissketeer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I usually don't go in for the paid events. I just ride the routes with a group of friends, but I can't hold their wheel anymore due to injuries. So I'll probably do CT this year for the support and varying skill levels. AFAIC it is one of the better valued ORG rides in the state. $120 for support, food, AND a jersey... not bad!
Old 03-14-12, 02:12 PM
bikerjp
Beer >> Sanity

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Okay, a more fredly question. The bike has road pedals, but I have some SPDs I could put on. Would you prefer to have a shoe you can walk around a bit for these events? My mtb shoes are carbon so stiffness isn't an issue. Obviously, it's a RIDE, but is there a lot of walking before and after? I was thinking of staying in Frisco, and riding to the start so I won't have a car to store stuff in.
Old 03-17-12, 07:58 AM
Breathegood

Bikes: '09 Gary Fisher "Kaitai, '09 Raleigh Team", '91 Trek 8700, '97 Cannondale SR500, '12 Raleigh Twin Six

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'd stick with the road shoes and maybe just stick some cleat covers in your jersey. The amount of walking around you do before and after is entirely up to you. With rides like this, I try not to doddle too much beforehand, and don't really feel up to a lot of walking around afterwards.